Welcome to the Rotations & Residencies Forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDN

Welcome to SDN
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi!

This is a new forum for osteopathic medical students to discuss rotations and residencies.

I'd like to introduce Reza Borhani. Reza is a third-year medical student (almost fourth!) and will be moderating the forum.

Enjoy the forum!

Lee Burnett

------------------
Lee Burnett, DO
www.osteopathic.com

Members don't see this ad.

I will be entering CCOM this fall and had a general question. Assuming a student can excel in classes...what does a first year student look into as far as maximizing education and opportunities in order to help secure a competitive residency? In other words what do you look for if you don't "just want to do enough to get by"?
I've heard things like summer research, clubs, attending seminars etc.
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Sincerely, Danny

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't waste your time with that crap. If you really want to land a quality residency then network with people that have clout in your area of interest. If you can get strong rec letters from people that matter, you will greatly increase your chances of getting into a bluechip program. A residency director from Johns Hopkins called the chairman of my first choice program and gave him the "I enthusiastically endorse Pre for your program, blah, blah, blah" and I became the first DO in their program. A second rec letter from a national officer in the specialty org also scored points, plus I know I interview well. Learn to talk like an insider in your area of interest and drop the right names. This is more important then grades and board scores, I don't know why students can't figure this out. The best students in my class ended up at very mediocre residencies (at least by nat'l reputation), while I matched into a University program that is ranked in every category in US News yearly rankings.

Do share the good news and tell us where you are going.

And congratulations, ofcourse.

Hi Prefontaine,
I was wondering if you took the USMLE step 1. If you did, are you going to take steps 2 and 3 also (is that necessary?)? I'm not sure if you addressed this before, but which D.O. school did you graduate from? And if you don't mind my asking, what were your undergrad GPA and MCATs like (just curious)? Thanks for your time.

your undergraduate GPA and MCAT scores mean absolutely nothing once you get your medical school acceptance letter.

Test Boy, Heather hit it on the nail...once you matriculate; close forever the undergraduate & MCAT chapters of your life. I know, to date, they have been 'all consuming;' but after you're in---->they mean ZERO!!

Sometimes Prefontaine's delivery is rather course...however, he makes good and usually well-informed points. Much of what he said is a re-iteration of what Iserson says in his book, "How to get into a Residency." It's a good book...Dr. Iserson recommends you read it as a pre-med/M1 to begin thinking the process through. Then, re-read it as an M2, as you'll need to begin implementing your plan during your M3 year.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
Senior, Neurosciences
Univ of Texas at Dallas
Class of 1999

Old Man Dave-
I would like to know more about the book that you mentioned. Did you find it in a bookstore or did you buy it on amazon.com? Also, what's the full name of the author and the title? Between this book and the Weiss book which one is better?

TP:

The book is by Kenneth Iserson and it can be found on Amazon. The tile is something like "How To Get Into A Good Residency." I have it but haven't read it but if it's like his other book on getting into med school, I anticipate that it will be good and helpful. There's no new edition coming out by the way until at the earliest next year (this is according to the publisher). I also have the Weiss book on order. I am getting it too because it appraoches it from a DO's perspective which I think will be somewhat different than if you are an MD student.

Regardin Iserson's book How to Get into Medical School: A Guide For the Perplexed, is all of the information regarding osteopathic medicine: the other degree up to date and correct? (For those of you that have read it)

TP, I haven't finished the book yet; but thus far, I am impressed. "Getting into a Residency: a Guide for Medical Students"--4th edition by Kenneth V. Iserson, MD. I purchased it at UTSW med school's bookstore.

I have not read his book on getting into med shool...so I can't compare the two.

Compared to Weiss' book...I also have that on order from amazom.com.

[This message has been edited by OldManDave (edited April 11, 1999).]