Well my local university accepted me. Do I major in Biochem or Biology?

Names_What_Are_Those

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I am 19 years old and I graduated high school last year, but I've been wondering around figuring out what to do with life. I've always known that I wanted to go into the medical field, but I've been figuring out what I want to do in the medical field in the past few months. I'm planning to focus on neurological surgery.

Graduated last year with pretty good scores I would say

GPA: 3.4

SAT: 1650

I want to know if Biochem would be a better study then biology. I view Biochem as a lot harder then biology, but I also heard medical schools have a higher chance of accepting you if you have a degree in Biochem. So would it be better to have a 3.8 GPA in Biology then a 3.4 GPA in Biochem.

Also should I volunteer at some local hospitals?

Members don't see this ad.

3.8 in anything is better than a 3.4 in anything. Your major doesn't matter for going to medical school -- only if you need a backup plan for if you don't get in or change your mind. And you should certainly volunteer at some hospitals.

Reactions: 1 user
3.8 in anything is better than a 3.4 in anything. Your major doesn't matter for going to medical school -- only if you need a backup plan for if you don't get in or change your mind. And you should certainly volunteer at some hospitals.

My backup plan if I don't get accepted to a medical school I'm gonna go into trades work plubmber, electrian, and etc

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone I am 19 years old and I graduated high school last year, but I've been wondering around figuring out what to do with life. I've always known that I wanted to go into the medical field, but I've been figuring out what I want to do in the medical field in the past few months. I'm planning to focus on neurological surgery.

I want to know if Biochem would be a better study then biology. I view Biochem as a lot harder then biology, but I also heard medical schools have a higher chance of accepting you if you have a degree in Biochem. So would it be better to have a 3.8 GPA in Biology then a 3.4 GPA in Biochem.

Neither. Go with psych. Or Spanish. Or maybe some type of art/humanity if that's something you'd enjoy.

Your high school stats dont matter anymore now that you're in college, but they were both pretty low. If your high school gpa was only a 3.4, you're going to have to work really hard in college.

Your major doesnt matter. At all. Do whatever you like

I don't think majoring in biochemistry will necessarily make you a more favorable candidate. It may be helpful for the MCAT, but that should not be a reason to major in it.

If you really enjoy biology or biochemistry, then go for it! Otherwise you should major in something related to your back-up plan. Good luck!