MD & DO Well this was unexpected. URM, okay GPA, low MCAT. Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexanne

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I told myself I wouldn't create a thread like this until I got my MCAT back (I was a Jan 13ther), but after getting my scores I had to take a week to cool off and think rationally.

Did pretty good on my practice exams... 26 was my lowest (AAMC #3), 36 was my highest (AAMC #11). There's no excuse, I messed up - I traveled all the way to NC from Boston (I'm a resident of Mass) to take the test, ended up with some bug while at the hotel, took the MCAT anyways, and ended up with a pretty effing bad score.

-MCAT: PS 7 VR 9 BS 8 - 24
-GPA: 3.65, sGPA: 3.4
-Hispanic, economically disadvantaged, first to graduate college, single mom of an 8 year old, and I have one of those rags to... well, not riches... but rags to
better rags stories. Foster care, homelessness, etc., during my teenage years but went on to get my GED, my CNA license to work at an Alzheimer's Unit for two years, went to LPN school and got my license, realized medicine would make me infinitely more happy than nursing, went to community college for a semester to start my pre-reqs, then transferred to my current university where I'm majoring in Anthropology.

So I've basically come to terms with the fact that with my MCAT score, I have a pretty slim chance at going MD if I'm applying in the New England area. This was repeated to me today by my pre-med advisor, who "would be surprised if I even got an interview." I know I can re-take - but I've already put off applying for a year. I really would like to just apply for the 2015-2016 cycle, even if that means I'm applying primarily DO. I'm interested in working with the underserved population, and gravitate towards ER or surg specialties.

Other stuff:
-Owned my own photography business for awhile, but that ended after I went to nursing school. During the past two years I've worked with a lot of the non-profits as their photographer, and have also done some benefit shoots, where all of the proceeds go to a certain charity in the area.

-Non-clinical volunteer hours I'm sure is over 50... I also bring my kid and his friends to a couple of them because I like the idea of youth philanthropy... there's a lot of that in my area.

-Clinical volunteer hours are over 100... I worked in Haiti awhile back as a CNA at a maternity clinic, volunteer hours at a pop-up health screening clinic for the homeless community in my area, and I'll be making my way to Tanzania this summer for a month or so to volunteer as a nurse.

-Leadership experience... I've been a TA for an anthropology class that's led to some community participation/teaching, I teach a photography/anthropology class outside of school to retired seniors - my professor and I got a grant to make a community exhibit so the photographs will end up there, and I'm a peer health educator on campus (2 years) and have won some awards/presented at conferences from that.

-Research experience... not much. I'm finishing up a thesis now about Alzheimer's that may get published in a medical anthropology journal, but that won't happen until later this year.

So, in your opinion, what are my chances for MD and/or DO if I were to apply with these stats, assuming I apply early, and that I'm sticking around the northeast? I'm considering applying in the south too but would rather not uproot too much if I don't have to - I need the support system.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you want any real shot at MD you've gotta retake that MCAT. There's no way around it. Considering you were hitting well above a 24 on your practice tests, I'd definitely retake it if you can take the old one. If it's the new one I'd do some research first. I think you'd be pretty competitive for DO given you've got some unique experiences and a solid GPA. Your MCAT is lower than desirable, but it's balanced and not terrible. Given the rest of your app I don't think it will hurt you too much. If you're applying this cycle stick to DO unless you can get your MCAT up.

That's what I figured... would there be any point in applying to some of the southern MD schools (UNM, Morehouse, Howard, etc)? I haven't looked too much into the schools specifically but noticed their MCAT 10th percentiles were around the 24 mark.

I've been warming up to the DO route, though, so I'll definitely be applying this upcoming cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
MD is almost a no go, DO is pretty decent odds.....but go ahead and prepare to reach outside your region to make sure you don't burn another year, you can always choose local over far away if you have more acceptances but don't risk not having an acceptance

That's what I figured... would there be any point in applying to some of the southern MD schools (UNM, Morehouse, Howard, etc)? I haven't looked too much into the schools specifically but noticed their MCAT 10th percentiles were around the 24 mark.

I've been warming up to the DO route, though, so I'll definitely be applying this upcoming cycle.
If you are an African American Hispanic or have demonstrated a commitment to a life of service to this community, the HBCU's are reasonable choices. If you are not from NM, don't apply there.

Last edited by a moderator: