Were you afraid of seeing surgeries before?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AestheticGod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Were you ever grossed out by some of the procedures you've watched? I'm still a little grossed out by that kind of stuff. I was watching a basic Gynocomestia removal procedure and went "hmm, that's kind of gross..." I feel like I'll vomit for sure if I saw it in personj.

Did any of you guys get over it?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely felt a little queasy on watching a full day of general surgery. Seriously though, if you want a good experience, shadow a surgeon. They're extremely intelligent professionals usually and a good one can turn you on to the idea of cutting people open for a living.

However, two hernias, gall bladder removal, two skin grafts (one was on the only remaining foot of a diabetic on the two remaining toes he had left), and a bunch of fistulas later and I had to sit down. White as a sheet. But it was an awesome experience and I can definitely see myself liking it when I get into medical school. Just gotta work out the jitters.

Members don't see this ad :)
The "jitters" tend to cure themselves with more experience and time practicing. I knew a General Surgeon (my first shadow experience years ago) who admitted that he had to sit down on the floor during surgery to regain his composure and then continue on during his first few weeks. I've found the same to be true for most of the experiences that I've faced to this point. The grossest part for me is generally burnt flesh, and I've seen quite a bit ranging from surgery to cardiac massage (even through my own hands) during an open thoracotomy.

My heart start to pump a little faster just from watching it on TV _ can't wait to see how it feels after I shadow

Sent from my Vodafone 858 using SDN Mobile

The first physician I shadowed was a general surgeon. It just so happens on my first day that they removed a dermoid ovarian cyst. The nurse aid in the OR had to cut it open to make sure that that was indeed what it was. I made it through the entire surgery, but I went home right after that. Worst thing I've ever seen in my life.

I am here to learn.Thanks for sharing.
xeaf1.gif

Surgery isn't for me, but the most severe negative reaction I've ever had during a surgery has been an internal amused, "Haha, gross!"

Exposure will numb you to the novelty of most things.

Surgery is fun to watch because the amount of dexterity needed is on par with some finer forms of art.

In fact, this is what I've thought surgery is like:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raXanYjTF18[/YOUTUBE]

After 5+ hours of standing there, too scared to ask for a bathroom break, you'll probably be distracted from your fear of vomiting by your fear of wetting yourself. :thumbup:

Seriously though, just try not to think about how that's a person. Focus on what the surgeon is doing, not the rest of the body. Don't lock your knees while you're standing, remember to breathe, and if you start to feel queasy, look at your feet instead of the surgery. Watching surgery was one of the main things that convinced me to apply to medical school, so enjoy!

No way! I loved it! Saw my first one my senior year of high school. The orthopedic surgeon was putting in metal frames in someone's lower spine. I never knew how rough surgery was. He was literally hammering down and pulling bone fragments out. Always thought surgery was delicate.

I was excited about seeing a surgery for the first time. It was a carotid endarterectomy and was soooooooo dull and boring. OMG, I felt like hours had passed and it had been 20 minutes. I talked about this with friends and heard that vascular surgery is like that and that I'd enjoy other surgeries. Nope. I just cannot stand them. So glad I rarely have to attend a surgery now.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you so happen to be shadowing and can go see a TRAM procedure go see it. I didn't like surgery one bit, but that procedure was the "coolest" one I saw on my rotation. I don't know if it was the whole emotional side of me coming out, given the background of the patient, but I truly enjoyed it and didn't mind the procedure taking almost 6 hours.

The first (and only) surgery I saw was a toe surgery where they were cutting into some dudes. I also saw some people in the ER push a tube into a dudes chest--both times I felt like I was going to faint. I'm terrible at seeing blood or watching stuff cut into people.

The first procedure I saw was an abdominal surgery when I was in high school, and the only thing that bothered me was the smell of cauterizing flesh. Ugh. But it's funny what procedures can really get to you. As a CNA, I help do dressing changes, and the only one that almost made me pass out was seeing a Stage IV pressure ulcer the size of my fist being packed. For some reason it just bothered me more than anything else (and I've had to pick maggots out of a rotting wound).

Don't worry if you don't OMG TOTALLY LOVE SEEING SURGERIES AND THEY GIVE YOU BONERS. It's completely natural to be grossed out by a completely unnatural process. Over time, you will probably just get so used to it that it won't bother you any longer.

I work in a clinic where I assist in circumsicions. The first time I watched, I could feel my head getting hot and I was feeling pretty weak from all of the skin cutting. But after drinking some water and stepping out I was ready to go back in and finish. Now I could eat while watching one if I wanted to.. haha. Even though its not really a big "surgery" I felt it a little there. It takes sometime for our minds and bodies to adapt to new sights and experiences we aren't comfortable with. I recommend shadowing a surgeon before you make any drastic calls.

I definitely thought I was going to pass out before I watched my first surgery. When I was in the OR waiting for the surgeons, I was all kinds of freaking out. However, when the surgery actually began, I was too interested to be nauseous. And that was open heart surgery.

You'll be fine, my friend. If I can get over it, anyone can.

What you need to worry about is not locking your knees while you focus on the surgery. You will have far worse problems than being grossed out.

The first procedure I saw was an abdominal surgery when I was in high school, and the only thing that bothered me was the smell of cauterizing flesh. Ugh. But it's funny what procedures can really get to you. As a CNA, I help do dressing changes, and the only one that almost made me pass out was seeing a Stage IV pressure ulcer the size of my fist being packed. For some reason it just bothered me more than anything else (and I've had to pick maggots out of a rotting wound).

Don't worry if you don't OMG TOTALLY LOVE SEEING SURGERIES AND THEY GIVE YOU BONERS. It's completely natural to be grossed out by a completely unnatural process. Over time, you will probably just get so used to it that it won't bother you any longer.
Thats some nasty ish! I mean the butts are already old and wrinkly....

What you need to worry about is not locking your knees while you focus on the surgery. You will have far worse problems than being grossed out.

How do you stand without locking your knees?
I'm a cashier and stand for hours. I just bent mine a little. It became uncomfortable quick.

I don't necessarily think it's gross, but I have issues with not cringing from how bad I think it would feel. This even happens when I see cadavers. I know the person is knocked out or dead, but I still go "oooouch" when they cut in. I better get over this quick :p

I don't necessarily think it's gross, but I have issues with not cringing from how bad I think it would feel. This even happens when I see cadavers. I know the person is knocked out or dead, but I still go "oooouch" when they cut in. I better get over this quick :p

I shadowed a surgeon but he spent the whole morning doing colonoscopies. :) There was just something about the smell, the sucking/sticking sound of a lubricated colonoscope being repeatedly pulled in and out of someone's behind, and the fact that the pts were a bit older and on the heavy side.

It comes with time. There are those that have issues with starting IVs for the exact same reason, but with time you gain a respect for the benefits of starting the IV versus not starting the IV.

I'm a cashier and stand for hours. I just bent mine a little. It became uncomfortable quick.
People probably thought I had ants in my pants when I was on OB or Surgery. I was frequently moving my legs under my gown 1) to entertain myself and 2) to keep blood pumping.

Shift your weight from time to time and sake your foot every few mins or something. It is a lot better than passing out. Experience:oops:...

My first time inside an OR I was 10 years old.. and I wasn't the patient, I was watching. My father is a surgeon.. so the answer is no... I am very cold-blooded when it comes to this...
Still, I don't *like* cutting people out for a living. There are other/easier ways to be a doctor !

You don't have to bend them all the time, just keep them moving. Shift your weight, bend one knee and then the other, flex your ankles a bit. It also isn't a bad idea to wear TED hose if you are on your feet for many hours to keep your legs from swelling.

My first time inside an OR I was 10 years old.. and I wasn't the patient, I was watching. My father is a surgeon.. so the answer is no... I am very cold-blooded when it comes to this...

we'vegotabadassoverhere.jpg

People do get lightheaded during surgeries/anatomy lab. No biggie. Just sit down. The attendings just don't want you to pass out in the sterile field. They're generally pretty understanding. Being scrubbed in and standing in one place for hours under hot lights is a recipe for nausea.

I definitely thought I was going to pass out before I watched my first surgery. When I was in the OR waiting for the surgeons, I was all kinds of freaking out. However, when the surgery actually began, I was too interested to be nauseous. And that was open heart surgery.

You'll be fine, my friend. If I can get over it, anyone can.

Wow, this sounds exactly like my first surgery observation. It was also an open heart surgery. Just being in the OR and seeing all the tools, the patient, and the surroundings in general freaked me out. I thought, "This person is going to be cut wide open". I got queasy and had to go the bathroom and sit down. After a 5 minute self pump-up session, I went back in a watched without anymore problems. After each surgery, everything seemed more normal. I was also extremely surprised how rough some parts of the surgery were.

Wow, this sounds exactly like my first surgery observation. It was also an open heart surgery. Just being in the OR and seeing all the tools, the patient, and the surroundings in general freaked me out. I thought, "This person is going to be cut wide open". I got queasy and had to go the bathroom and sit down. After a 5 minute self pump-up session, I went back in a watched without anymore problems. After each surgery, everything seemed more normal. I was also extremely surprised how rough some parts of the surgery were.

I was also very surprised by that. It was amazing to see how the human body can be treated like that and recover.

In high school/ the beginning of college I watched a bunch of surgeries (neurosurgery = awesomee) and was completely fine. I've always had a strong stomach and even watched a nurse pull a tube (to give antibiotics) from my dads heart area out through his arm without even a little queeziness....
then i got mono, since then i've gotten SUPER queezy. Saw a breast biopsy, which I had seen many times before and literally had to sit on the floor. Ive also started getting claustrophobic in all the sterile gear, something that has never happened before...
has anyone had something like this happen? where they were fine but somehow they've developed a problem. I seem to have more of a problem with needles than the blood/gore itself because I watched a prosectomy(sp...its late) without an issue. also the smells part/all the gear you have to wear...
will I probably get over this after more exposure/cadaver labs...
I have no desire to be a surgeon full time, but I dont want to make an a** of myself in medical school...

we'vegotabadassoverhere.jpg

People do get lightheaded during surgeries/anatomy lab. No biggie. Just sit down. The attendings just don't want you to pass out in the sterile field. They're generally pretty understanding. Being scrubbed in and standing in one place for hours under hot lights is a recipe for nausea.
This. And learn how to where the surgical mask so you dont breath in stale air. (Top tighter bottom loose...)

No way! I loved it! Saw my first one my senior year of high school. The orthopedic surgeon was putting in metal frames in someone's lower spine. I never knew how rough surgery was. He was literally hammering down and pulling bone fragments out. Always thought surgery was delicate.

Many surgeries are delicate. Orthopedic would be one extreme end of the spectrum with Neurosurgery being on the far opposite end.

QFT.

That was my downfall. Almost literally.
:laugh: I remember one day I had my mask tied soo tight and the patient was a burn victim so the or was 90 degrees. It took about 7 mins before I started seeing two of everything. Good times:rolleyes: They should seriously have a inservice about surgical attire tho. That stuff is dangerous for both you and the patient.

That loose mask is nice and all until a scrub tech yells at you or blood goes spurting. :cool:

I had an issue with just the opposite, I'd often leave the OR with HAs because I tied my mask a bit too tight.

:laugh: I remember one day I had my mask tied soo tight and the patient was a burn victim so the or was 90 degrees. It took about 7 mins before I started seeing two of everything. Good times:rolleyes: They should seriously have a inservice about surgical attire tho. That stuff is dangerous for both you and the patient.

The OR was like 20 degree during the open heart, which is understandable. But I definitely didn't feel the cold through nerves. :laugh:

Moral of the story thus far seems to be "use the surgical mask to your advantage by finding a medium between so tight you pass out and so loose you pass out... from the smell."

The smell of blood bothers me more than the sight of it. But I've yet to experience the... other odors mentioned in this thread. :laugh:

The smell of blood bothers me more than the sight of it. But I've yet to experience the... other odors mentioned in this thread. :laugh:

Same here.. It's the smell of stuff for me that really gets me... I can watch just about anything and not be grossed out.. but the smell. ekk...

Same here.. It's the smell of stuff for me that really gets me... I can watch just about anything and not be grossed out.. but the smell. ekk...

After you been a cna for a while cleaning old people's unwanted waste, the smell of anything doesnt bother you. Especially after you cleaned up bloody stool and c.diff. I have seen a few surgical nurses put some type of doohickey under their nose that blocks the smell. You should try that, pretty smart. I tried that once and it made me sneeze a lot. Quick question: What do you guys do about itchy noses? My nose always itches as soon as I'm sterile. I can't even think clearly because it itches so bad. (It seriously pisses me off since it stops completely when I can scratch it.) *not hijacking just curious*

After you been a cna for a while cleaning old people's unwanted waste, the smell of anything doesnt bother you. Especially after you cleaned up bloody stool and c.diff. I have seen a few surgical nurses put some type of doohickey under their nose that blocks the smell. You should try that, pretty smart. I tried that once and it made me sneeze a lot. Quick question: What do you guys do about itchy noses? My nose always itches as soon as I'm sterile. I can't even think clearly because it itches so bad. (It seriously pisses me off since it stops completely when I can scratch it.) *not hijacking just curious*
tell the circulator to come over and scratch it for you. it's her job.

I've been a CNA for two years and was an EMT two years before that. There are smells that still bother me. Vomit for one. And a lower GI bleed.

tell the circulator to come over and scratch it for you. it's her job.
If this is done, please post the aftermath on youtube. I have asked a circulator to push my glasses up and once had her tape them to my forehead, but the alternative was me flinging my head with hopes they didn't land in the patient as they slid off. I didn't like that idea.

Not so much a scratchy nose, but with a runny nose I would take sudafed (from behind the counter) in the morning before surgeries and stuff paper towels/kleenex up my nose before scrubbing. Gross, I know.