Program-Specific Info / Q's West Coast University OT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you! I hope so too haha. I know a guy at West Coast who was wait listed and got accepted 2 weeks before classes started, he had to move to LA and had no place to live the first 2 months. So I guess it's not over yet! More of the waiting game for me.
Where was he on the waitlist? I wonder what that average number of waitlist students they end up taking.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes I have applied to Loma Linda, CSUDH and Samuel Merritt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I have! I applied to Loma Linda, Dominguez Hills, St. Augustine San Marcos, Both Midwesterns, AT Still in Arizona, Sacred Heart, and I'm waiting to apply to USC and Stanbridge.
Are you also waiting to hear back from them too?

Are you also waiting to hear back from them too?
Yes I had an interview with St Augustine a few weeks ago and they should be letting people know at the end of the month I believe. Dominguez hills notifies around Thanksgiving time. Midwestern Glendale is around November/December depending on your interview date and Loma Linda is in January. Was West Coast your only school?

honestly everywhere and anywhere that had a similar average accepted GPA from myself
what schools did you apply to? Are you still waiting to hear back from them or are you planning to apply to them coming up?

Yes I had an interview with St Augustine a few weeks ago and they should be letting people know at the end of the month I believe. Dominguez hills notifies around Thanksgiving time. Midwestern Glendale is around November/December depending on your interview date and Loma Linda is in January. Was West Coast your only school?
Yeah, it's my top school and the only one I applied to at the moment. I really like West Coast and it stands out to me a lot and I'd prefer to get into a school that I believe I will do well in than just any school, but at the end of the day I guess I should just apply everywhere and have fingers crossed.

Yeah, it's my top school and the only one I applied to at the moment. I really like West Coast and it stands out to me a lot and I'd prefer to get into a school that I believe I will do well in than just any school, but at the end of the day I guess I should just apply everywhere and have fingers crossed.
I totally agree! West Coast really surprised me and I think being so low on the wait list you have pretty good chances!

what schools did you apply to? Are you still waiting to hear back from them or are you planning to apply to them coming up?
Both midwesterns, university of the sciences, Springfield college, cox college, Carroll college. I already applied scheduled to interview at Midwestern Glendale in November

Sorry about not updating everyone, but I got accepted a week and a half ago. For anyone who doesn't know, tuition went up and is now 86k total(maybe it was like that for awhile and I never noticed).

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry about not updating everyone, but I got accepted a week and a half ago. For anyone who doesn't know, tuition went up and is now 86k total(maybe it was like that for awhile and I never noticed).

Lol awkkkkk so I definitely probably got denied

Congrats!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol awkkkkk so I definitely probably got denied
It said everyone's acceptance letters will be sent out at different times so you never know. Plus, once people start getting acceptance letters from cheaper state schools I have a feeling a few spots will open up.

Congrats!! :) Was this your first time applying too?

What are your stats?
My stats aren't that great-- I have a little over 3.0 for my overall GPA, mostly A's & B's and a couple C's for my prereq GPA (not sure the exact number), over 300 hours in 3 different settings both inpatient and outpatient. I had 3 strong letters of rec too, so we will see!

Omg that's awesome!! Congrats girl

That's awesome! Did you/are you going to apply anywhere else?
Only applied to schools I can commute to from my house, which were only wcu and usc, so that I won't have to take out extra loans. Gonna finish up applying to usc because I already paid for it. But 124k vs. 86k....end up with the same degree and end up getting paid similarly....I think I'll just go to wcu. Plus I'd rather go to wcu which is more hands on vs. Usc who are more theory based.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks! But I'm a guy lol. Which probably helped as well lol.

Hahaha oops, sorry to just assume. Regardless, you got in and as we all know that's not easy to do!

Hahaha oops, sorry to just assume. Regardless, you got in and as we all know that's not easy to do!
Did you just assume my gender?! Jk lol its okay

Congrats! I am very excited for you!:clap:But you are absolutely right about the tuition increase for the 2017 year...it threw me way off when I was informed.

Congrats! I am very excited for you!:clap:But you are absolutely right about the tuition increase for the 2017 year...it threw me way off when I was informed.
Thanks! I am excited as well haha Yeah it sucks because when I applied I remember seeing 70k.

Congrats bhl!

I noticed the tuition increase last month when I was getting ready for my interview. It sucks but it's a good investment.

The only other school I applied to this cycle is CSUDH, but I feel like I have an advantage because I took their Intro to OT class and the professor wrote me a really nice LoR. Also I did pretty well on the GRE.

Me too. The only one I applied Still waiting as well.....

It's still really early in this application year. You can still apply to so many schools. WCU also has another term you can apply for. I applied for the last term and didn't even get on the waiting list. So don't get up hope. If this is the school for you, just work on improving your app, and keep trying.

Congrats bhl!

I noticed the tuition increase last month when I was getting ready for my interview. It sucks but it's a good investment.

The only other school I applied to this cycle is CSUDH, but I feel like I have an advantage because I took their Intro to OT class and the professor wrote me a really nice LoR. Also I did pretty well on the GRE.
Thanks! Yeah OT is a good and rewarding career. The OTs I observed constantly told me that school name doesn't matter and I should just choose the cheapest school. As long as you have a a license, pass the nbcot, and have good fieldwork experience you will have no trouble finding a job. Looks like you have a good chance at getting accepted to csudh and the cost is so cheap there compared to private schools which is a good thing. Good luck.

Nothing yet either :dead: but congrats on the guy who got in!!​

Do you mind sharing your stats? Thanks, & congrats!

It's still really early in this application year. You can still apply to so many schools. WCU also has another term you can apply for. I applied for the last term and didn't even get on the waiting list. So don't get up hope. If this is the school for you, just work on improving your app, and keep trying.
Thank you :) I will !!!

Yes I have! I applied to Loma Linda, Dominguez Hills, St. Augustine San Marcos, Both Midwesterns, AT Still in Arizona, Sacred Heart, and I'm waiting to apply to USC and Stanbridge.

Have you heard from St. Augustine and Midwestern AZ? I recently sent my applications to them as well.

Have you heard from St. Augustine and Midwestern AZ? I recently sent my applications to them as well.
I had an interview with St Augustine in September and I think they said end of October is when we'd hear back but I'm not 100% sure. Midwestern I heard back from them and I have an interview in like 2 weeks. If you just submitted give it a few weeks to hear back. I will say those two schools are some of the faster schools when getting back to you after you submit! :)

Hey guys, if you were waitlisted please don't get discouraged. It is very likely that you will be offered a seat! I was #18 on the waitlist, and offered a seat for fall so they really do pull from the list! I deferred my admission to spring start bc I am from out of state, but if you are a local and fully prepared continue to check your email bc you can hear good news from now until the first week of class about admission! If for any reason you all don't get off of the list, it is okay to be upset but don't beat yourself up about your stats because I've seen all types of stats from individuals trying to get into grad and it's not based solely on your stats. Also, never apply to just 1 school, if your stats match a school send out an application that way you have multiple options. :D

I've heard back from all three just waiting for the interview now! I have an video interview with Loma Linda next week.

Hey guys, if you were waitlisted please don't get discouraged. It is very likely that you will be offered a seat! I was #18 on the waitlist, and offered a seat for fall so they really do pull from the list! I deferred my admission to spring start bc I am from out of state, but if you are a local and fully prepared continue to check your email bc you can hear good news from now until the first week of class about admission! If for any reason you all don't get off of the list, it is okay to be upset but don't beat yourself up about your stats because I've seen all types of stats from individuals trying to get into grad and it's not based solely on your stats. Also, never apply to just 1 school, if your stats match a school send out an application that way you have multiple options. :D
Oh that's great! How long ago did you apply? I'm ninth on the waitlist so maybe I have more of a chance at getting in than what I thought... WCU is a great school, I have had the opportunity to work with their students on fieldwork because I had volunteered at sites that have contracts with the school and it seems like all of them love it. I had researched the school and attended multiple info sessions. I worked really hard in boosting my grades and learning as much as I could about OT by talking to OTs, students, and buying multiple OT textbooks to read. It was disappointing to see my passion not only for OT but the school and the upward progression of my GPA (more than the last 60 units being a 4.0, CGPA and PGPA both are a 3.63 which is decent) not be good enough for them.

Gosh such a bad sign I haven't heard anything yet I'm freaking out

Oh that's great! How long ago did you apply? I'm ninth on the waitlist so maybe I have more of a chance at getting in than what I thought... WCU is a great school, I have had the opportunity to work with their students on fieldwork because I had volunteered at sites that have contracts with the school and it seems like all of them love it. I had researched the school and attended multiple info sessions. I worked really hard in boosting my grades and learning as much as I could about OT by talking to OTs, students, and buying multiple OT textbooks to read. It was disappointing to see my passion not only for OT but the school and the upward progression of my GPA (more than the last 60 units being a 4.0, CGPA and PGPA both are a 3.63 which is decent) not be good enough for them.
I'm right there with you girlfriend I've done everything and anything to make sure I'm accepted this cycle. It's not us particularly, it's what the school specifically wants. I'm trying to look at it as a positive if I weren't to get in because that just means I'm not the type of applicant they want and I wouldn't flourish at that school. You have the grades and credentials to get in else where ;) honestly you're super high up on the wait list I'm sure you will get in!

Gosh such a bad sign I haven't heard anything yet I'm freaking out
I know what you mean! I feel you... I haven't gotten any news either . I really hope I won't have to wait until next week.

I'm right there with you girlfriend I've done everything and anything to make sure I'm accepted this cycle. It's not us particularly, it's what the school specifically wants. I'm trying to look at it as a positive if I weren't to get in because that just means I'm not the type of applicant they want and I wouldn't flourish at that school. You have the grades and credentials to get in else where ;) honestly you're super high up on the wait list I'm sure you will get in!

That's very true. They have so many wonderful applicants every cycle ! OT is an amazing field and so many people would die just to get an interview. The fact that we have made it this far is a blessing. If we don't get in then we can always try again next year! Keep your head up and don't give up!!

That's very true. They have so many wonderful applicants every cycle ! OT is an amazing field and so many people would die just to get an interview. The fact that we have made it this far is a blessing. If we don't get in then we can always try again next year! Keep your head up and don't give up!!
We're not completely out yet! I'm sure people are still getting acceptance letters!

Thank you so much for your support! It means a lot :) That's the thing I hate about this whole process: you can have everything right and stuff going for you and yet still not be good enough. I'm a natural pessimist so your optimism through all this is really a great asset to have! I'm just hoping that people either get accepted to other schools and decide to go there or defer and wait until the next cohort. Haha. Have you heard back yet? I'm wishing you luck! :)

Update: I just got my email. I wasn't admitted into the program :unsure: Good luck to everyone else!!

Update: I just got my email. I wasn't admitted into the program :unsure: Good luck to everyone else!!
Same girlfriend I was denied as well....that's okay! Just a different calling for us! Congrats to everyone who got admitted

Thank you so much for your support! It means a lot :) That's the thing I hate about this whole process: you can have everything right and stuff going for you and yet still not be good enough. I'm a natural pessimist so your optimism through all this is really a great asset to have! I'm just hoping that people either get accepted to other schools and decide to go there or defer and wait until the next cohort. Haha. Have you heard back yet? I'm wishing you luck! :)
Denied, it's okay. I plan on applying for the fall