West Virginia SOM (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Cancelling my interview here after an early acceptance at DMU. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
When did you interview?

Monday.

I actually called to confirm this morning and Applicant Accept means that the committee has decided on you and your acceptance letter has been sent out. So if you see that it seems pretty safe to celebrate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You interviewed this week? What was your mcat score?

I'm a nontrad with a few years working with what could be considered "underprivileged" communities. So our applications might not be a direct comparison. But 27, ~3.8 post-bacc GPA.

I'm a nontrad with a few years working with what could be considered "underprivileged" communities. So our applications might not be a direct comparison. But 27, ~3.8 post-bacc GPA.
Congrats! That's so exciting! I'm a non-trad myself, hopefully I'll end up at WVSOM too!

Wait I interviewed Monday too & my applicant status says "Accept Applicant" as well. Does this mean I'm in :oops:

I interviewed Monday as well and also was accepted on Wednesday. 2nd interview, 1st acceptance. Very excited! This is a great school, beautiful campus, nice people, quaint town.

Very fast process too. I received secondary last Monday the 19th and submitted 3.5 hrs later. I was called 9/21 for interview. I scheduled it for 9/26 and by 9/28, I had my acceptance. They're on the ball!

Interview was very laid back and surprisingly fun. It was a 25ish minute panel interview with 3 committee members, the 2nd part was a teamwork exercise, and the 3rd part was an individual role playing activity with one of their standardized patients. Basically, if you know why you want to go to WVSOM, and you know why you want to be an osteopathic physician, and you have a good story, you're nice, you can work in a team, and you're an ethical person, then your interview day is going to go swimmingly. You don't really need to prepare for anything. Just go in and be yourself.

Some tips: the Hampton Inn was very nice (mention you're interviewing at WVSOM and you get a sweet discount and bring a swim suit bc the pool and jacuzzi are awesome), Fujiyama restaurant was delicious Japanese food and sushi, wear comfy clothes and shoes bc you will be walking a lot during your interview day.

Overall, my trip and experience with WVSOM and Lewisburg in general were very positive. I feel lucky to have been accepted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Can anyone give me a clue? I called the school to ask about my application and was told they won't download it because I don't have my mcat scores yet? is it something I should be worried about? I really want to attend the school for 2017. I just took the test on Sept 10th and expecting the result in couple of days from now.
Am I still on track? I am an old school foreign graduate trying to change a career.
Any hope ?

Can anyone give me a clue? I called the school to ask about my application and was told they won't download it because I don't have my mcat scores yet? is it something I should be worried about? I really want to attend the school for 2017. I just took the test on Sept 10th and expecting the result in couple of days from now.
Am I still on track? I am an old school foreign graduate trying to change a career.
Any hope ?
It is still early in the cycle and this school is very receptive to non-traditional students who are changing careers. I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as that MCAT comes back with a decent score.

I interviewed Monday as well and also was accepted on Wednesday. 2nd interview, 1st acceptance. Very excited! This is a great school, beautiful campus, nice people, quaint town.

Very fast process too. I received secondary last Monday the 19th and submitted 3.5 hrs later. I was called 9/21 for interview. I scheduled it for 9/26 and by 9/28, I had my acceptance. They're on the ball!

Interview was very laid back and surprisingly fun. It was a 25ish minute panel interview with 3 committee members, the 2nd part was a teamwork exercise, and the 3rd part was an individual role playing activity with one of their standardized patients. Basically, if you know why you want to go to WVSOM, and you know why you want to be an osteopathic physician, and you have a good story, you're nice, you can work in a team, and you're an ethical person, then your interview day is going to go swimmingly. You don't really need to prepare for anything. Just go in and be yourself.

Some tips: the Hampton Inn was very nice (mention you're interviewing at WVSOM and you get a sweet discount and bring a swim suit bc the pool and jacuzzi are awesome), Fujiyama restaurant was delicious Japanese food and sushi, wear comfy clothes and shoes bc you will be walking a lot during your interview day.

Overall, my trip and experience with WVSOM and Lewisburg in general were very positive. I feel lucky to have been accepted.

Because non-disclosures mean nothing right?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is it possible to get the resident tuition after 1 year residency? Anyone know?

Because non-disclosures mean nothing right?

SAE (standard applicant encounter) has already been mentioned in this thread, and nothing I have said here is more than what I knew going into the interview. We cannot mention any specifics. We cannot elaborate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible to get the resident tuition after 1 year residency? Anyone know?

No... only if you marry a WV resident. Pretty much whatever status you apply with (OOS, IS) is what you stay.

SAE (standard applicant encounter) has already been mentioned in this thread, and nothing I have said here is more than what I knew going into the interview. We cannot mention any specifics. We cannot elaborate.

While it has been mentioned, in none of the posts has it ever been described as specifically as you have stated. I have no stake in the mock secrecy of it, however, acceptances can be rescinded because of something like that. I hope that it doesn't happen for you, but it's something to be aware of. Non-disclosures are non-disclosures, and the school is aware of this thread.

While it has been mentioned, in none of the posts has it ever been described as specifically as you have stated. I have no stake in the mock secrecy of it, however, acceptances can be rescinded because of something like that. I hope that it doesn't happen for you, but it's something to be aware of. Non-disclosures are non-disclosures, and the school is aware of this thread.

I won't argue or keep this going, and I do appreciate your feedback because we do need other people to keep us in check. I appreciate your principles. It's a great quality. Before signing, I know what we were told, and I am abiding. There are no specifics here. Again, thanks. I do appreciate your concern.

It is still early in the cycle and this school is very receptive to non-traditional students who are changing careers. I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as that MCAT comes back with a decent score.
Thanks. I pray so.

Do we need a DO letter or is a MD letter accepted?

To all those interviewing and need lodging, check out my Airbnb listing, "Private Bed and Bath, Downtown." I'm a 2nd year student at WVSOM and would be happy to answer any of your questions and feed you breakfast before your interview!

Withdrew my interview on Oct. 13th. I hope one of you gets it. Good luck to those applying here!

Has anyone heard anything recently regarding interviews/decision deferred? Turned in my secondary on the 18th I believe; no updated status yet.

Staying optimistic though!

Anyone have an email I can use to reach admissions?

Has anyone heard anything recently regarding interviews/decision deferred? Turned in my secondary on the 18th I believe; no updated status yet.

Staying optimistic though!

They told me they'd get back in a month or so with a decision and I submitted around the same time!

Interview cancelled! Due to a better offer. I hope one of you guys get my spot!

If anybody has an interview invite, but would like to take my date instead, please PM me and we can try to contact admissions at the same time and let you have my spot. You are going to need to already have an invite though for this to work. (10/14/16)

I just logged into my portal and a new item that says "interview date:" popped up under my name. Is this just a normal thing that they add or should I be expecting to receive an II by email soon? Really hoping it's an II lol

I just logged into my portal and a new item that says "interview date:" popped up under my name. Is this just a normal thing that they add or should I be expecting to receive an II by email soon? Really hoping it's an II lol

Me too!! I hope that means we got one :)

Haha well I'm going to go insane waiting to find out if it means we got one or not because I tried to call them and they're already closed for the day

Noooo i want to know!! I mean why would they put that there?? Torturing us :( :(

I don't believe this happened to me but I could be wrong.
I didn't get the portal often unless I got an email.

Yes I did and the admissions counselor seemed puzzled about it. Said he was going to check into it and give me a call later today. Will let you guys know when he calls me back!

Okay awesome. I hope it means II. Maybe he's just confused because he didn't know they added it lol

I have to say 10/6 group (7 Costa Ricans) is the best. All of you are so friendly. Good luck to everyone!!! Safe drive home!

Did anyone else have issues with the school listing their letters as not received after submitting the secondary? I guess I need to call them on Monday because I submitted two weeks ago and AACOMAS had all of my letters by July.