West Virginia SOM (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't received a primary conformation from them and its been at least 2 weeks, should i call tomorrow?

F*ck me, why does their secondary email look like a Phishing email?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got a secondary today but after reading, it says they won't accept my MD letter as a physician letter. I wish I had known that before applying here. :/ Not even sure if I should complete the secondary.

Reactions: 1 user
Canceled my interview here. Good luck to whoever can take my spot.

Reactions: 1 users
Got a secondary today but after reading, it says they won't accept my MD letter as a physician letter. I wish I had known that before applying here. :/ Not even sure if I should complete the secondary.

You only have to pay for the secondary when asked to interview.

How long did it take people to go from "supplemental complete" to II?

For anyone who interviewed already or current students, can anyone comment on the three SAE's listed on the interview schedule? It says that you will have encounters with standardized portrayers and interact accordingly.

LORs were just added to my checklist! Hope this is good news?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait I just looked at their email and it said LORs are not posted to the checklist until an II has been scheduled and confirmed...???

Wait I just looked at their email and it said LORs are not posted to the checklist until an II has been scheduled and confirmed...???

I think a lot of people were saying that theirs were added and then within a little bit got the II.

Just got the II email. Wish they had more dates available!!!

II just now! First interview, so excited!!

Anybody interviewing on 10/14??

II 8/25; complete 8/24

What's the best way to get here? Fly into Charleston or Roanoke, which is better and has the prettier drive? (if I have to drive then I might as well enjoy the view

What's the best way to get here? Fly into Charleston or Roanoke, which is better and has the prettier drive? (if I have to drive then I might as well enjoy the view

Both are beautiful drives. Charleston --> Lewisburg is probably more scenic. However, I always flew out of Roanoke because I found it to be much cheaper most of the time.

Both are beautiful drives. Charleston --> Lewisburg is probably more scenic. However, I always flew out of Roanoke because I found it to be much cheaper most of the time.

Thank you! What is the best place to stay?

Depends on your financial situation. Anywhere near I-64 is a good bet and they are close to the school. There's a Super 8, Mariott, Holiday Inn, etc.

For those applying here, GREAT SCHOOL, I mean they really care about you....and the new Student Center that recently opened is a cherry on top.....and yes I am an actual student here....

For those applying here, GREAT SCHOOL, I mean they really care about you....and the new Student Center that recently opened is a cherry on top.....and yes I am an actual student here....

Thanks! I have a question, so at this point I don't really know what field I want to go into. My question is how supportive is the school for the students who decide they want to pursue something competative? I mean like do they help with advisement, point you in a good direction, etc? I could see myself going for surgery just as much as I could see myself in something like Peds and I just want to make sure that no matter what I choose, the opportunities will be there. I know you're only a 1st year but have you heard anything from the upperclassmen?

Also how is the board prep here?

Thanks! I have a question, so at this point I don't really know what field I want to go into. My question is how supportive is the school for the students who decide they want to pursue something competative? I mean like do they help with advisement, point you in a good direction, etc? I could see myself going for surgery just as much as I could see myself in something like Peds and I just want to make sure that no matter what I choose, the opportunities will be there. I know you're only a 1st year but have you heard anything from the upperclassmen?

Also how is the board prep here?

They are def. big on primary care, let alone rural primary care BUT A LOT of students go into competitive residencies. You are at a US medical school, one that allows you to set up your own audition rotations in your 4th year, so if there is a specific program you want to go for, set up 4th year and make it happen. The school wount "stop" you from doing a certain residency, if you earned it, you can bet top dollar you can go for it.

But lets have some real talk, its simply too early for any of us to narrow down our list of things we want to do. I think people shoot themselves in the foot by choosing something prematurely and not having done direct clinical work in rotations. Its good to be enthusiastic about a certain field, but I would focus more on ensuring to do well on boards>coursework etc....because once you get that taken care of, the options are endless.

They are def. big on primary care, let alone rural primary care BUT A LOT of students go into competitive residencies. You are at a US medical school, one that allows you to set up your own audition rotations in your 4th year, so if there is a specific program you want to go for, set up 4th year and make it happen. The school wount "stop" you from doing a certain residency, if you earned it, you can bet top dollar you can go for it.

But lets have some real talk, its simply too early for any of us to narrow down our list of things we want to do. I think people shoot themselves in the foot by choosing something prematurely and not having done direct clinical work in rotations. Its good to be enthusiastic about a certain field, but I would focus more on ensuring to do well on boards>coursework etc....because once you get that taken care of, the options are endless.

Do you have a match list? I can't seem to find one. The closest thing I can find is a student doc that someone shared from 2012 I think. How much dedicated board time is there?

Do you have a match list? I can't seem to find one. The closest thing I can find is a student doc that someone shared from 2012 I think. How much dedicated board time is there?

I cannot comment on board prep time, but from what I see mostly everyone does well, it comes to a point of if you intend to take both exames USMLE/COMPLEX, how will you divvy up the material. If you email admissions, they will be happy to give you a match list.

I took both USMLE and COMLEX. WVSOM probably gives one of the longest dedicated study periods for Step1/Level1. Although it may change from year to year, our class was done with lecture on March 20th. I essentially had from March 20th until May 28th. Some students took the exam at the end of June.

You get plenty of time to study for boards.

As far as specialty goes, work hard and you can do whatever your heart desires (well, mostly). Where you attend medical school isn't going to keep you from doing a particular specialty. BUT, the onus is on you to do well. Don't waddle into medical school hoping someone will hold your hand. Study your a$$ off, take USMLE and COMLEX, and crush both of them.

I took both USMLE and COMLEX. WVSOM probably gives one of the longest dedicated study periods for Step1/Level1. Although it may change from year to year, our class was done with lecture on March 20th. I essentially had from March 20th until May 28th. Some students took the exam at the end of June.

You get plenty of time to study for boards.

As far as specialty goes, work hard and you can do whatever your heart desires (well, mostly). Where you attend medical school isn't going to keep you from doing a particular specialty. BUT, the onus is on you to do well. Don't waddle into medical school hoping someone will hold your hand. Study your a$$ off, take USMLE and COMLEX, and crush both of them.

Thank you! This is what I was looking for. Do you know how the rotations are generally?

Thank you! This is what I was looking for. Do you know how the rotations are generally?

The only issues with DO schools in general, not just WVSOM, is rotations can be sort of hit and miss. I do strongly think that no matter where you get rotations at WVSOM, you will get the education you need. However, you may need to do some work on your own to make sure you get the full spectrum of education. Not all the hospitals have a high volume of patients so you may never see and treat a patient with a pheochromocytoma, but you need to know for boards so you need to read about it.

I'm in Huntington, WV doing a family medicine rotation and I'm loving it. SO much better than first two years :D

@AnatomyGrey12 I'm finding your questions really helpful. Thank you! And thank you @Tri4thlete and @radian313 for your responses. I've had my heart set on WVSOM and a lot of what you two are saying just solidifies my choice.

Last edited:
@AnatomyGrey12 I'm finding your questions really helpful. Thank you! And thank you @Tri4thlete and @radian313 for your responses. I've had my heart set on WVSOM and a lot of what you two are saying just solidifies my choice.

I was very picky of where I wanted to go, and am very happy I chose this school. They truly live by the idea of "finding health should be objective of the doctor, anyone can find disease".

Hey guys! I'm a current first year student here, and I found sdn really helpful when I was applying last year. Please feel free to PM me with questions! Med school is a lot of work, but I'm loving my experience here so far :)

Will be there in October!

Just got my II. Chose Oct 14th.

Will likely be cancelling my interview on 9/30. Good luck all!

Interview invite received today. Scheduled for next Friday 9/16!

Reactions: 2 users