West Virginia SOM (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is the timeline of decision notification after an interview?
They say up to 3 weeks, but a lot of the time it turns out to be exactly one week after your interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an II for here!
Really excited!! This school seems like a great fit for me.

Does anybody know how likely an acceptance is after getting an interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I just got accepted here and am OOS. I have a few questions I would like to ask. If anyone is a current student here and was also OOS, please private message me! Thanks!

Last edited:
Is an interview in late October considered late for this school?
Does anybody know how quickly the fill up or how many seats they have available?

I interviewed in January and was still accepted. Chances of acceptance go down as the year progresses, but I think you have a good shot with an October interview.

Just to confirm, each of the below secondary prompts is a 500 word limit? Did you guys use all 500 words, or close to?:

1. Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician?

2. What advantage do you see in attending WVSOM over other medical schools?

3. Describe an ethically challenging situation you have been in, and how you responded.

4. What do you feel it will take for you to succeed in medical school?

5. How many hours per week are you willing to commit to studying in addition to the 25 hours of weekly scheduled class time? Optional brief comments about your study habits:

6. Describe a situation in work, volunteer activities, or organizations where you demonstrated your ability to work well with others.

oh okay!
Any advice for the interview??
It is laid back. Just be yourself. Honestly they just want to get to know you and your drive to be an osteopathic physician. As for the SAE part. Just roll with it and have fun. It isn't bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What'd you have stat wise without that pending MCAT?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'm actually not sure. I'm a non-traditional student. I have an undergraduate degree in biochemistry and a master's in nutrition. A lot of these schools recalculate my GPA using the last 120-140 credits (I have >200). Unfortunately those numbers aren't visible to me and they aren't available on the AACOMAS application download. I've plugged everything into an Excel sheet and I think it's 3.45/3.50 but I'm not sure. I'm posting this lengthy explanation in case there is a non-trad out there in a similar situation.

Pre interview. And same here I have a pending mcat. Guess they dont like my mcat that I have and is waiting for the next score. But still it feels not that great...

What does "decision deferred" mean? They won't look at your application until all your materials come in?

For those of you who have interviewed/are interviewing soon, where did/will you stay? I am planning my stay for my October interview; I know there are quite a few hotels around, but I wanted to ask if anyone could recommend a good Airbnb host. Thanks in advance!

I don't know why people use the term "crazy" to describe the ~50K OOS tuition... Both midwesterns are significantly above that and most schools are in the high 40s... Crazy is only a term I would apply to the OOS tuition at MSU.

Edit: it's actually 50k

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Interview here early October. Got it like 24 hours after my complete email. 512 mcat, 3.7 cGPA, 3.59 sGPA. Can't wait to see what lewisburg is about.

Reactions: 1 users
Pre interview. And same here I have a pending mcat. Guess they dont like my mcat that I have and is waiting for the next score. But still it feels not that great...
I understand but keep the faith, there are people in last year's thread who had interviews in Feb/Mar and were accepted.

Interview here early October. Got it like 24 hours after my complete email. 512 mcat, 3.7 cGPA, 3.59 sGPA. Can't wait to see what lewisburg is about.
Good luck! Everyone that interviews there seems to fall in love!

Does anyone know what the board pass rate is for this year and how everyone did?

It's been 10 days since I submitted my application and still haven't heard anything. Should I be worried? Thought the response time for this school is about a week for II/WL/Post-secondary Rejection.

I
It's been 10 days since I submitted my application and still haven't heard anything. Should I be worried? Thought the response time for this school is about a week for II/WL/Post-secondary Rejection.
I'm still decision pending and mine was comple The 23 of August...

I called yesterday to change my phone number on my profile and the admissions counselor said it would probably take another week or two!

Does anyone know what the board pass rate is for this year and how everyone did?

I was also a big proponent for making sure a med school has a good "pass rate." I am now a firm believer that only you can choose your board score destiny. I worked my butt off and got above average on both USMLE and COMLEX. All of my friends did well, but we did have some people that did not pass COMLEX. You will see that at every school . I personally felt WVSOM did a good job of setting me up for success on boards.

TL;DR: Work your a$$ off and you will do well on boards, no matter where you go to school

Reactions: 1 users
I was also a big proponent for making sure a med school has a good "pass rate." I am now a firm believer that only you can choose your board score destiny. I worked my butt off and got above average on both USMLE and COMLEX. All of my friends did well, but we did have some people that did not pass COMLEX. You will see that at every school . I personally felt WVSOM did a good job of setting me up for success on boards.

TL;DR: Work your a$$ off and you will do well on boards, no matter where you go to school

Agreed. Just for pure curiosities sake do you know what the highest USMLE score was out of your class?

Agreed. Just for pure curiosities sake do you know what the highest USMLE score was out of your class?

No clue, they haven't sent out any stats regarding USMLE. I would say about 30-40 out of 210 kids in our class took USMLE.

Hey folks who were accepted, quick question. What does your login portal look like? I haven't heard anything official from them, but logging in I'm seeing my status changed to "Accept Applicant" and info on my deposit that says to refer to my official acceptance letter. Is this just what it turns into for anyone interviewed or is this a big deal?

Hey folks who were accepted, quick question. What does your login portal look like? I haven't heard anything official from them, but logging in I'm seeing my status changed to "Accept Applicant" and info on my deposit that says to refer to my official acceptance letter. Is this just what it turns into for anyone interviewed or is this a big deal?

I'm 98% sure it means we've been accepted! Pretty stoked, this school definitely surprised me a ton on my interview day. I feel like it really is a diamond in the rough

That was my question as well and I ended up getting the acceptance letter in the mail like 10 days after my interview. Congratulations!