West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
received survey as well.. but i am decision deferred as of now..

Members don't see this ad.

What I think is funny is that the email says that I recently received an email with a user ID and pin but...this is the first email I've gotten from them. Ever. Lol

I just called them up about my pin and stuff. Annette, in the admissions office and the same on who sent the email is super nice!

Members don't see this ad :)
When did everyone first receive the survey? Did you get deferred after submitting the survey?

If you check the dates of the posts mentioning the survey you will see that everyone got them this morning.
At least I'm pretty sure they were only sent out today.
Most of us have been decision deferred for at least a week already.

I received the same survey email, my status still says in process decision pending

has anyone been able to confirm whether or not the "decision deferred" status/email means we are just really early and need to wait longer, or if it means that we are not going to get an interview at all?

Just submitted the survey. I've had the "decision deferred" status for about 2 weeks now also.

I received the survey this morning and submitted it. My status is still "In Process - Decision Pending"

Did anyone receive a conformation email after they submitted the survey?

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone been able to confirm whether or not the "decision deferred" status/email means we are just really early and need to wait longer, or if it means that we are not going to get an interview at all?

As per what we saw in the last year forum, apparently everyone got deferred in July. Also, some of the guys deferred had incredible stats and it just wouldn't make sense to be deferred. So I would go with the assumption. Unless you want to call up and ask.

As per what we saw in the last year forum, apparently everyone got deferred in July. Also, some of the guys deferred had incredible stats and it just wouldn't make sense to be deferred. So I would go with the assumption. Unless you want to call up and ask.

But if you are going to defer everyone anyway, then why bother telling them? If they aren't going to make a decision about interviews until a little later in the cycle then there is no reason to tell the applicants at all that they are being deferred. Seems like an unnecessary step to me....

But if you are going to defer everyone anyway, then why bother telling them? If they aren't going to make a decision about interviews until a little later in the cycle then there is no reason to tell the applicants at all that they are being deferred. Seems like an unnecessary step to me....
This happens due to automatic emails sent from their systems. They rank everyone and put them on hold. Then when the time comes they start picking from that group. This is also a common thing in other schools. But all do not have automated emails. Again, we are all very early. Good luck to everyone.

Bah, alas, I checked my status and it reads:
In Process - Decision Pending

So I'm assuming that's not deferred. What zee heck. For what it's worth, my stats are relatively low (2.9 sGPA, 3.33 nonsci, 3.11 cGPA) and my MCAT was a 23Q. Taking the new one tomorrow to go beast mode honey badger status and hopefully er, NOT get a 23.
Pending versus deferred. wth!?

APRILGITA- were you deferred before and now you are pending?

Yea well, I am not admissions so I can't really comment on it haha.

APRILGITA- were you deferred before and now you are pending?

I was never deferred, only decision pending from the start. I was verified July 16th so.... meh?
GOD DAMN I JUST WANT INTO THIS SCHOOL.

ah, losing it.

As you may know WVSOM traditionally carries their alternates over from the previous year. I am an alternate for this year. If I don't get accepted this year I am automatically accepted for next. But they have to wait to see if any spots open up for this year. First day of class is Aug 6. So they have until then to accept any alternates for this year. I would be surprised to see much movement on the new applications until after then. Last I heard there were around 75 alternates and I have heard of only a few that have gotten in or dropped off the list. They are probably waiting to see how many spots they will need to fill for next year before they start making any big decisions.

As you may know WVSOM traditionally carries their alternates over from the previous year. I am an alternate for this year. If I don't get accepted this year I am automatically accepted for next. But they have to wait to see if any spots open up for this year. First day of class is Aug 6. So they have until then to accept any alternates for this year. I would be surprised to see much movement on the new applications until after then. Last I heard there were around 75 alternates and I have heard of only a few that have gotten in or dropped off the list. They are probably waiting to see how many spots they will need to fill for next year before they start making any big decisions.

Thanks for the info!

Hey guys, first time here on this forum and have to say it's been really helpfully hearing what everyone else has been getting from the school.
Like some of the other people, I am still in Decision Pending on the WVSOM page. However, underneath it, I received the following message with a link stating:

"Supplemental Application
Supplemental Application Instructions... Fee information is included on application.
Click Here for Supplemental Application Form"

Is this what everyone else has been getting as well? Hopefully this is a good sign
I also received the survey about a week ago like everyone else.

Last edited:
Hey guys, first time here on this forum and have to say it's been really helpfully hearing what everyone else has been getting from the school.
Like some of the other people, I am still in Decision Pending on the WVSOM page. However, underneath it, I received the following message with a link stating:

Supplemental Application Instructions... Fee information is included on application.

Is this what everyone else has been getting as well? Hopefully this is a good sign

I can't say for sure but it sounds like you got a secondary invite which only comes with an interview invite. I would call to verify to see if you can start on the secondary!

I can't say for sure but it sounds like you got a secondary invite which only comes with an interview invite. I would call to verify to see if you can start on the secondary!

Thank you for your response! Will do and hopefully everyone else gets a similar response on their page as well soon!

when did your page update?

when did your page update?

I just checked today for the first time since I first received my password and user.

The page essentially looked like this (Looks like there's two things they want):

Applicant Status

Welcome Bryan...

Decision Pending

Supplemental Application
<Click Here for Supplemental Application Form>
---
Statement of Past or Pending Professional Disciplinary Action
Statement of Past or Pending Professional Disciplinary Action Instructions...
<Click Here for Statement of Past or Pending Professional Disciplinary Action Form>

I just checked today for the first time since I first received my password and user.

The page essentially looked like this (Looks like there's two things they want):

Applicant Status

Welcome Bryan...

Decision Pending

Supplemental Application
---
<Click Here for Statement of Past or Pending Professional Disciplinary Action Form>

I got excited and checked mine after your first post but my status just says decision pending. I know a lot of people on here got decision deferred, and others like me just had the decision pending. I think it is safe to say you are certainly further ahead then everyone else so far. Good luck!

What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Applicant Status

Welcome Bryan...

Decision Pending

Supplemental Application
---

When did you submit? When were you verified? Are you in-state?

Last edited:
When did you submit? When were you verified? Are you in-state?

I submitted my app and got verified around the middle of June, with my app getting released to the schools on June 24. I am OOS as well from VA (border state maybe?)

As far as my stats, electrical engineering major with 3.7 sGPA, 3.3 cGPA, 27R. I did take some time off after college and went to work for the government for 1 year and am currently taking a year off to volunteer in Australia on the wards and in Aboriginal Health.

I got excited and checked mine after your first post but my status just says decision pending. I know a lot of people on here got decision deferred, and others like me just had the decision pending. I think it is safe to say you are certainly further ahead then everyone else so far. Good luck!

What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Not to creep or anything, but I wouldn't fret about this too much. My status was "decision pending" from the start as well and my stats are anything but spectacular (3.33 non sci, 2.9 science, 3.11 overall, 23Q MCAT). I'm not sure how much URM (Hispanic) may have to do with it, or being a nontrad (Drama major), but surely, this can't be solely based on numbers because mine kinda blow. Perhaps this decision deferred phenomena is a pre-req issue?

Not to creep or anything, but I wouldn't fret about this too much. My status was "decision pending" from the start as well and my stats are anything but spectacular (3.33 non sci, 2.9 science, 3.11 overall, 23Q MCAT). I'm not sure how much URM (Hispanic) may have to do with it, or being a nontrad (Drama major), but surely, this can't be solely based on numbers because mine kinda blow. Perhaps this decision deferred phenomena is a pre-req issue?

if you don't mind me asking, are you from WV?

Relax everybody! You cannot get accepted until you interview, regardless of stats. Once the interview process starts and everyone gets phone calls, the deferrals will start to dwindle. Keep the faith!

Also, having applied this early really helps your chances as WVSOM practices rolling admission. I didn't submit AACOMAS until mid September last year and was still accepted for this year's class.

reapplicant here and really worried ..anyone know averages for the incoming class?

I'm sure they WILL read the LOR, and having it from a recent grad is great!

Kate (current 3rd year at WVSOM)

Hmm - I'd heard it was about 27 MCAT with about that GPA - 3.6. Attitude is a huge factor in getting in - they are looking for folks that will be compassionate, service-minded physicians, with ENOUGH academic credentials to indicate that they will probably be successful.

They admit a lot of people with MCAT's in the 30's and quite a bit in the 20's as well.

Regarding curriculum the previous posters weren't exactly correct. Up till 2014 (my class) the incoming students could pick either problem -based (independent/group study) or lecture curriculum. We had only lecture-based but the 2nd year PBL's continued in their track. Some that failed joined our second year. Seemed to be a problem because they often lacked some of the thorough background we had gotten in first year.

Our curriculum incorporated parts of the PBL learning: we had group learning activities with case studies which turned out to be really great learning resources.

The new curriculum for the first years (which they started designing in 2013) goes live with this incoming class and is "case-based learning" based on most recent educational research regarding what is the most effective way to educate med students. The school tends to respond well and quickly to student feedback ((I was on the curriculum committee as a student rep), and improve anything that has kinks in it. Wouldn't worry too much --excellent, excellent professors in the main.

Kate