West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, if anyone is looking for a roommate at WVSOM shoot me a PM. I am looking forward to meeting our future class! Sadly I do not know anyone going in though. So PM me if you are considering a roommate, and we can chat.

Hey all, if anyone is looking for a roommate at WVSOM shoot me a PM. I am looking forward to meeting our future class! Sadly I do not know anyone going in though. So PM me if you are considering a roommate, and we can chat.

Hello! Make sure you join the class of 2018 Facebook group!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, first time here. Congrats to everyone who has already gotten in! Was just wondering if anyone has an interview on march 7? Coming from Northern Virginia and would be sweet to talk with some people beforehand about the interview. thanks!

Has anyone been offered an interview after being placed on hold pre-interview? If so, any advise as to what I can do now to increase my chance to interview?

Has anyone been offered an interview after being placed on hold pre-interview? If so, any advise as to what I can do now to increase my chance to interview?

I'm wondering about this, too. Just got an email saying that I was deferred pre-interview. I think it's because they need my DO letter still.

I'm wondering about this, too. Just got an email saying that I was deferred pre-interview. I think it's because they need my DO letter still.

Actually I'm pretty sure they only need your committee letter and DO letter after you've been invited for an interview.

When I applied and sent in my secondary, I've been under "in-process, decision pending" for a couple of weeks. Then the day after I sent in my LORs, my status changed to "decision pending". Then later that afternoon i got the email by Angela bowyer asking when I would like my interview. Not sure if this is a coincidence however

Last edited:
They don't even look at the LORs until after your interview per the Admissions department.
In my case, I called them to verify a month after I completed that they had all of my information that they needed, was told yes, then was placed on deferred decision the following day (pre-interview, September). In January, I brought pastries from the local (their favorite) bakery, and sat down with one of the admissions counselors to look at my stats to see if I needed to fix something for the next application cycle. Two weeks later I received a call from Mrs. Bowyer for an Interview. A week after the interview, I received the "accept applicant" status.

Keep in mind that they have ~5600 applications for 1 year and 200 seats. I'd suggest sending in a curriculum vitae w/ a well thought out cover letter that paints a picture of why they should interview you over the other 5600 applicants.

Call them and state your determination to attend WVSOM and ask what information they might need to "undefer" you.

They don't even look at the LORs until after your interview per the Admissions department.
In my case, I called them to verify a month after I completed that they had all of my information that they needed, was told yes, then was placed on deferred decision the following day (pre-interview, September). In January, I brought pastries from the local (their favorite) bakery, and sat down with one of the admissions counselors to look at my stats to see if I needed to fix something for the next application cycle. Two weeks later I received a call from Mrs. Bowyer for an Interview. A week after the interview, I received the "accept applicant" status.

Keep in mind that they have ~5600 applications for 1 year and 200 seats. I'd suggest sending in a curriculum vitae w/ a well thought out cover letter that paints a picture of why they should interview you over the other 5600 applicants.

Call them and state your determination to attend WVSOM and ask what information they might need to "undefer" you.

Thanks for the advice! The reason I said it might be because they haven't received my DO LoR is because they said in the email that once they receive all materials, they will review my file again.

This was kind of a last minute choice for me. I sent in my secondary in mid-January for this school because I started getting rejections from other places and because the school seemed pretty nice. I don't know if I send in a CV with a cover letter if that will make me seem too pushy or something since I submitted about a month ago.

Did you take classes this past Fall semsester? My application was initially deferred pre- interview because they wanted my fall 2013 grades first. The day they recived my updated transcript through AACOMAS I recieved my interview Invite via email. I would call admissions to inquire about your status, everyone is really nice and they would be glad to help you.

I gave up my seat today at WVSOM! It was a really hard decision, and I wish you all the best of luck at such a wonderful school. :)

Go get em!

Reactions: 1 users
Gave up my seat too! Good luck to all of you. It was not an easy decision!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is remediation/failure (<70%) a common occurrence? Does the school work hard to help students succeed and to keep students in the class, or do they seem fine with a certain amount of attrition? Their handbook says they they can actually recommend dismissal for a class failure. Is this what they lean toward, or do they try to find a way to help you retake a course and to be more successful in the future? Is there a policy about exam re-takes rather than entire course re-takes? I did find this school policy (http://www.wvsom.edu/sites/default/files/policies/Education/E-21_Remediation.pdf), but it doesn't look like it has been updated since 2006 (and I know they have a new curriculum structure, so is it actually possible to remediate a course off campus anymore since no other school is going to have a course that matches what we take?).

What is the school's policy on COMLEX attempts? Do you have to pass their practice COMLEX before you can take the real deal? How is their board prep?

All I can find in terms of graduation rates is this (http://www.wvsom.edu/sites/default/files/.1/Graduation-completion_rates_0.pdf). Has anyone else seen anything that is more updated? It looks like their graduation rate started to decrease, so I am wondering if that trend has continued and if they have even more attrition now.
Sorry no one answered this yet... I'll tell you what I recall from the past few years.

If you fail any test, you are obligated to visit ASPIRE, which is WVSOM's test/study method-helpers. If you fail a single course (or two? don't remember), you can remediate over the summer. If you fail three classes, you're out for the year (and out a year of tuition) and must appeal before a board (partly comprised of students). They will usually let you repeat, but your repeat year is extremely strict... you can have zero failures. I doubt you can remediate away from school. Attrition varies by class/year, and not all reasons are academic failure, but I'd say 10% of the first year class. Maybe 15% in a bad year.

Best advice I can give is take med school more seriously than anything you ever have, and be afraid. Start out strong, then slowly scale back as you get a handle on how to study and make it through classes. Don't start out weak and try to play catch-up... med school is stressful enough without having academic suspension hanging over your head.

I withdrew my acceptance today after accepting another offer. WVSOM will always be special to me as it was my first acceptance. I hope my seat opening makes someones dream come true like it did mine. Best of luck everyone!

Anyone hear from WVSOM today? I believe the committee meets on Tuesdays.

Has anyone been taken off the pre-interview hold recently ? Complete silence (decision pending?) until I gave them my updated grades, then placed on hold (deferred decision?) since mid-January. Emailed Annette a few times with updated activities+ research, but no changes to the portal :/

lol @rjtavares, that sounds great, except being on the other side of the country makes having a talk with them kinda difficult haha. I'm surprised you were able to get in contact with admissions for a face to face?

Anyone hear from WVSOM post-interview yet?
I haven't heard anything yet and I interviewed like 3 weeks ago. I'm not sure whats going on, but maybe that helps answer your question.

Last edited:
Has anyone been taken off the pre-interview hold recently ? Complete silence (decision pending?) until I gave them my updated grades, then placed on hold (deferred decision?) since mid-January. Emailed Annette a few times with updated activities+ research, but no changes to the portal :/

lol @rjtavares, that sounds great, except being on the other side of the country makes having a talk with them kinda difficult haha. I'm surprised you were able to get in contact with admissions for a face to face?
I too would like to know if anyone has been taken off pre-interview hold

I interviewed on Feb 24 and I just checked my portal page, and the decision now says accepted. Go check, and good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed on Feb 24 and I just checked my portal page, and the decision now says accepted. Go check, and good luck.
Congrats!! I think I interviewed with you on that day. I just checked my portal and it still says "decision pending." Hopefully I'll hear back today!

Congrats!! I think I interviewed with you on that day. I just checked my portal and it still says "decision pending." Hopefully I'll hear back today!
I think it's safe to assume you are one of the girls from that day. Good luck, I hope you hear back soon

For those who were accepted today, can you share your stats?

Best advice I can give is take med school more seriously than anything you ever have, and be afraid.

be very afraid :laugh:

that actually is some good advice. during years 1 and 2 I studied for every test like I was gonna be kicked out of school and taken out back to be shot if I failed. study like it's your one and only chance to pass. I was glad when it ended but can happily say I never failed a test :thumbup:

Did anyone who interviewed February 24th still have yet to hear back? During the interview, they promised between 1-2 weeks to hear back. :/

Did anyone who interviewed February 24th still have yet to hear back? During the interview, they promised between 1-2 weeks to hear back. :/
I heard back from them via portal and snail mail. Maybe call them and ask for an update?

Last edited:
Accepted today! I will be seeing you guys this fall :)

Reactions: 1 users
I just turned down my admission, I hope someone from here gets it. Good luck class of 2018!

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone looking for housing/roommates? Message me!

Im still waiting for a response too. I interviewed on march 7, but my DO letter was received by them on march 13 so im not sure if that would push back the time when Ill get a response :/

Last edited:
Hey just received an interview offer for April 11. Does anyone else on here have that date? If so, interested in rooming together?!