West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I applied the last week of January and interviewed March 10th or 17th, I can't remember which. MCAT score was 30 and GPA is 3.6. You were right, they offered me a spot and I've been accepted. Good luck to you all.

Awesome! It would appear they are looking at stats at the moment in deciding to give out acceptances for now, which you definitely appear qualified. Congrats!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied the last week of January and interviewed March 10th or 17th, I can't remember which. MCAT score was 30 and GPA is 3.6. You were right, they offered me a spot and I've been accepted. Good luck to you all.
Congratulations!

Has any one recently called and asked if there has been any movement aside from that one acceptances? Do you think, if i call and ask they would tell me my ranking on the alternative list? any past experience/or information would be grateful.

Has any one recently called and asked if there has been any movement aside from that one acceptances? Do you think, if i call and ask they would tell me my ranking on the alternative list? any past experience/or information would be grateful.

You can try to call them about a ranking, but I have a feeling they'll deny having a ranking list. To be honest, though, I think it would make sense that they would have some sort of priority list in order to decide who they feel should get spots given the number of people on the alt list. I had a 26R in my MCAT score (not extremely far off from the poster who was recently accepted) and was interviewed a week before him (march 7) but haven't heard anything yet either.

If you want to ask them, maybe you can ask if there are certain criteria they are looking for at the moment in deciding acceptance.

Last edited:
So if someone just got accepted off the alternate list, theres bound to be some movement right? Hopefully that will also cause a possible auto-acceptance agreement for next year. What do you guys think? I feel like that locks in students to join their school for next year already with a hefty initial deposit.

Also, they told me that they don't do a ranking system.

It might be worth mentioning that I'm also an in-state resident, not sure if it makes a difference though.

Someone at my job found out in the last few days that he's in, so I guess there is still some movement.

Thats great news! Hopefully enough movement will cause the ADCOM to consider possible auto-acceptance for next year.

Hey everyone , I emailed Angie regarding ranking and avaliable seating for this upcoming class, and she sent me this. "Admissions Committee will review all alternates and choose one to fill the vacant seat. Actually, your application will be reviewed each time there is a vacancy. We do not number our alternates – everyone has a chance each time."

"May the odds be ever in your favor. "

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the update. That is great news as well.

If anyone has updates regarding the auto-acceptance policy, please share.

Hey everyone , I emailed Angie regarding ranking and avaliable seating for this upcoming class, and she sent me this. "Admissions Committee will review all alternates and choose one to fill the vacant seat. Actually, your application will be reviewed each time there is a vacancy. We do not number our alternates – everyone has a chance each time."

"May the odds be ever in your favor. "

Did Angie also say that? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the update. That is great news as well.

If anyone has updates regarding the auto-acceptance policy, please share.

I am curious, why would good movement in the alternate list mean auto-acceptance for students? Doesn't anyone who is left on the alternate list when they start classes in August pretty much have to reapply for the next cycle?

Well, if the adcom agrees on the auto acceptance policy, anyone remaining on the alternate list would be accepted for the following year.

Movement on the alternate list for this year will help.

I am curious, why would good movement in the alternate list mean auto-acceptance for students? Doesn't anyone who is left on the alternate list when they start classes in August pretty much have to reapply for the next cycle?

Well, if the adcom agrees on the auto acceptance policy, anyone remaining on the alternate list would be accepted for the following year.

Movement on the alternate list for this year will help.

I think we are talking about two different things. Basically, those who are on the alternate list are still considered for acceptance into this year's class of 2018. However, traditionally the adcoms have been giving out auto-acceptance for the following year (in this case class of 2019) if there are still people on the alternate list. In that case, people will not have to reapply next year as they are guaranteed a seat for 2019. The adcoms say its not necessarily guaranteed each year as there's a different adcom each year, but usually that happens to be the case.

When people talk about "movement on the alternate list," they are usually talking about getting in this year (class of 2018). However, I suppose if there's movement on the alternate list, the alternate would be small enough for them to consider auto-acceptance.

That's exactly what I meant. Good clarification. As long as there is movement, we are moving in a positive direction. Looks like the majority of movement happens towards the end of June and beginning of July from previous forums. Does anyone agree?

That's exactly what I meant. Good clarification. As long as there is movement, we are moving in a positive direction. Looks like the majority of movement happens towards the end of June and beginning of July from previous forums. Does anyone agree?
Yeah, I've noticed that too. Those days couldn't come soon enough!!

I really hope the adcom eventually meets to discuss the auto acceptance policy. Do you guys think they will most likely agree to continue this policy like previous years? It basically shows that students are committed to WVSOM if they are willing to wait a whole extra year, plus the initial deposit is quite hefty. So I would think that the adcom would love this policy.

I really hope the adcom eventually meets to discuss the auto acceptance policy. Do you guys think they will most likely agree to continue this policy like previous years? It basically shows that students are committed to WVSOM if they are willing to wait a whole extra year, plus the initial deposit is quite hefty. So I would think that the adcom would love this policy.

We can only speculate what they are going to do, though i also hope they go through with auto acceptance. On the note on future commitments, I don't think the adcoms have to worry about locking people in a year advance as there always seems to be plenty of people applying and accepting positions every year. They wont see it as doing them a favor if we accept their auto-acceptance, so we can only hope they'll look on us favorably this year and get that opportunity to pay the deposit.

Last edited:
Thank you for the clarification, I hope that this is indeed the case. This is the first school that I have heard that does this potentially with the alternate status students and don't remember any mention of this at the interviews. Have they been doing this relatively regularly within recent years?

Thank you for the clarification, I hope that this is indeed the case. This is the first school that I have heard that does this potentially with the alternate status students and don't remember any mention of this at the interviews. Have they been doing this relatively regularly within recent years?

In previous years they have, though for some reason after recent conversations with them they haven't been too indicative that they'll follow through this year necessarily. I spoke with Patricia Perkins today regarding just administrative stuff, but then we started talking about that if things don't work out and no admissions has been given by the start of class, then give her a call to see what the next steps would. I was hoping she would say something about auto-acceptance, but she didn't even mention it. So basically she's keeping mums about it as well. On another note, the adcoms are meeting this week again to decide what to do with those on the list.

She told you that they are meeting this week? Hopefully they will discuss the auto-acceptance policy then. Last year they did the auto-acceptance policy but not everyone got it. Only the people they selected from the list

She told you that they are meeting this week? Hopefully they will discuss the auto-acceptance policy then. Last year they did the auto-acceptance policy but not everyone got it. Only the people they selected from the list

Yeah I was under the assumption that in previous years they accepted everyone from the alternative list to be automatically accepted the following year, but if from what you say is true then I guess they'll only pick and choose from those on the alternate list to be admitted the following year. I wonder what sort of criteria they draw from to choose who on the alt list to be admitted then :/

Last edited:
I just withdrew my name from the waiting list today. I hope it gives one of you a better chance! Don't give up!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard anything recently? Did they meet last week to discuss what to do with the students on the alternate list?

Has anyone heard anything recently? Did they meet last week to discuss what to do with the students on the alternate list?

I second this, does anyone have any further information regarding those on the alternate list this year?

Ms. Perkins said the adcoms were to meet last week, but still nothing as of yet; I imagine they are slowly also starting to review primary applications for the people applying this cycle which may be why there's been a lack in communications

Has anyone heard of any news yet? I'm dying over here haha

Any info on any possible movement on the alternate list or on the possibility of what others have talked about of there being an "auto acceptance"?

Just withdrew my acceptance... hopefully it goes to one of you guys...Best of Luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone called recently to ask any questions? If so, what were the questions and their responses?

I'm currently out of the country so haven't been able to call anyone from wvsom, but before I left last week I called angie who pretty much told me the same message as she had always been which is that they look at everyone's file when there's a spot open etc. etc.. frankly they haven't really been giving any new news and at least up to week and half ago.

Was wondering if anyone knows if the background check is taken care of by WVSOM after we send them the authorization and if we need to take care of anything on our end like drug tests/criminal records, etc.?

Okay, so I just called and was told that they will be meeting up next week to talk about movement on the alternate list, as well as discussing their decision on rollover acceptances. She said movement on the alternate list will mainly depend on movement on other schools waiting list.

Okay, so I just called and was told that they will be meeting up next week to talk about movement on the alternate list, as well as discussing their decision on rollover acceptances. She said movement on the alternate list will mainly depend on movement on other schools waiting list.

Thanks for the update. Happy that they are finally opening discussions especially when it looks like theres less than a few weeks when classes start!

Accepted off the alternate list last Friday, but declined... Hopefully one of you got my spot... WVSOM is a great school in a nice community. It was really a difficult decision to decline that acceptance... GL guys/gals.

Interviewed mid march ...

Accepted off the alternate list last Friday, but declined... Hopefully one of you got my spot... WVSOM is a great school in a nice community. It was really a difficult decision to decline that acceptance... GL guys/gals.

Interviewed mid march ...

Thanks for the update temp, gluck with the other med school where you accepted!

Nothing here. Still got tomorrow though to be honest not sure why its taking this long :/

Nothing here. Still got tomorrow though to be honest not sure why its taking this long :/
I thought we can get off of the waitlist up through orientation? or what did you mean that we still have till tomorrow

I thought we can get off of the waitlist up through orientation? or what did you mean that we still have till tomorrow
I was basing it off what swimsurg was saying that the adcoms would decide by this week. Just have to keep holding out i guess

I was basing it off what swimsurg was saying that the adcoms would decide by this week. Just have to keep holding out i guess
I'm not sure why nothing has been decided about rollover acceptances yet.

I'm not sure why nothing has been decided about rollover acceptances yet.

Ya this whole process has been draining; every time i get an email I would be expecting some kind of word by the adcoms haha. If they are supposed to meet this week, I hope this is not any kind of indication that they may change their policy on rollovers this year :(

So I emailed Ms. Moore who informed me that the admissions committee did meet this week, but didn't have time to discuss the rollover policy. They have a new dean this year, so other topics took priority and they only met for a short period of time. They are meeting again next week.

So I emailed Ms. Moore who informed me that the admissions committee did meet this week, but didn't have time to discuss the rollover policy. They have a new dean this year, so other topics took priority and they only met for a short period of time. They are meeting again next week.
Did she mention anything about meeting about spots opening up?

Hey guys, I just called and they said that the adcoms met and discussed rollover acceptances but that the dean will have the final say in a couple of days. Keep your fingers crossed!

P.S. Supposedly, little to no spots have opened up for movement on the alternate list

Hopefully the dean will agree to the rollover policy. What do you guys think?

It's surprising there has been no movement. I was hoping for some more movement around this time

Hopefully the dean will agree to the rollover policy. What do you guys think?

It's surprising there has been no movement. I was hoping for some more movement around this time
One can only hope :)

And yea, I thought the same. We still have a few more days...that's scary to think about :unsure:

Last edited: