West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@MiamiGuy1 I was marked complete October 15th, and called Monday to follow up. When I called on 11/3 they said my file had not been opened yet!!!! ... I received the update emails stating my letters had been added and my portal was updated at 4:44am yesterday morning (11/5). That. Was. Fast! I'm also OOS :claps:.

how long did it take for you to be marked complete from when you submitted the secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

@Knickstape21 I submitted the secondary on a Friday, and was marked complete that next Monday... so personally, it was really quick - within one actual business day.

Members don't see this ad :)
@MiamiGuy1 I was marked complete October 15th, and called Monday to follow up. When I called on 11/3 they said my file had not been opened yet!!!! ... I received the update emails stating my letters had been added and my portal was updated at 4:44am yesterday morning (11/5). That. Was. Fast! I'm also OOS :claps:.
Ok thank you!

After the interview last week, now get the status update as 'deferred decision by committee' . Really feels disappointed. I guess it could end up nothing for me at this school. Oh, well.

Interviewed with a lot of fantastic other applicants today, good luck everyone. Fantastic school if anyone's curious. The staff was wonderful too. Wish the interview was a bit longer though... fingers crossed!!
I actually thought it was quite thorough. They watched you all day, not just during the one on one interview. I had people in my group cursing and messing around. Don't think they don't notice that stuff!

Congrats on everyone who has been accepted!!! :soexcited:

For everyone who received an interview invite..what was your GPA & MCAT?
I just want to make sure if it's worth applying with my stats this cycle! Thanks :)

Ouch, gotta stay professional! I just felt that I had more to say as to what my passion was and what my interests were, but maybe it was evident. Anyways it was a nice trip nonetheless. Hope to be back.
I feel that I had ample opportunity to express my interests and passions during my interview, but every interview is different. In fact all they asked about were those things.

I just got my acceptance letter in the mail! It took almost 4 weeks from my interview and I was surprised that they snail mail instead of call. Really taken by surprise on this one, I thought my interview went absolutely horrible.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ouch, gotta stay professional! I just felt that I had more to say as to what my passion was and what my interests were, but maybe it was evident. Anyways it was a nice trip nonetheless. Hope to be back.
My interview was quite personal. They asked very intense questions but they are obviously a reflection of your file. I had other interviews that weren't personal at all.

Interviewed 10/27
Accepted 11/12
:soexcited::soexcited:

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Same as Logistics!
Interviewed on 11/3, Accepted 11/12 :)

Reactions: 4 users
Late submission 3.73 cgpa,sgpa 3.76 mcat 25, anyone think i have a chance or am i clinging to false hope.

That is what I feared, hopefully by some hope they give me a chance considering there's a lot of movement late in the cycle.

Interviewed 10/20 and was accepted last week! :) Has anyone else accepted started looking into housing?

Congrats to others accepted and good luck to everyone in the process!

Reactions: 1 users
Can any current students comment on how rotations work? I really wanna get rotations in my home city of Charleston, WV and I was wondering how the whole system works at WVSOM?

Can any current students comment on how rotations work? I really wanna get rotations in my home city of Charleston, WV and I was wondering how the whole system works at WVSOM?
Around November in your second year, there will be a "Site Selection Day" that will determine where you will do clinical rotations your entire third year of medical school. You will have a base hospital to which you are assigned, though some of your rotations will be in other clinics or practices. As each hospital system can only take so many students, the sites can go to lottery if there is overflow. If you need to know the exact method it's determined, PM me. Fourth year you can fulfill your graduation requirements however you wish (a lot of students rotate in their home states, or wherever they are auditioning to match for residency).

Curious did you get emails for portal updates for acceptances?

Reactions: 1 user
I recently received an email the other day that added my electronically sent letters of recommendation to my portal. I saw others say this happened to them before they received an interview invite. I was just wondering how long did it take after the letters were added to receive the interview invite?

Around November in your second year, there will be a "Site Selection Day" that will determine where you will do clinical rotations your entire third year of medical school. You will have a base hospital to which you are assigned, though some of your rotations will be in other clinics or practices. As each hospital system can only take so many students, the sites can go to lottery if there is overflow. If you need to know the exact method it's determined, PM me. Fourth year you can fulfill your graduation requirements however you wish (a lot of students rotate in their home states, or wherever they are auditioning to match for residency).

Is there an order that the students select locations? Alphabetical, class standing, free for all, etc

Is there an order that the students select locations? Alphabetical, class standing, free for all, etc
All sites are put poster-board style across the room with a number 1-?? representing however many students the site can handle. Larger sites can handle 18 or so, smaller may only take 4. If Site A has 6 spots, but 8 students write their names there (you can only write your name once per round), then all 8 names go into a hat, and the first 6 names drawn get the site, while the remaining 2 students wait until all other sites have undergone the same process. Those who didn't get their first choice compete for remaining sites, as not all sites "overfill" on the first round.

Mock sign-up sheets are posted weeks in advance, and students can get an idea of who wants to go where, and for the most part balance themselves out among the sites. Some people stick to their one choice, and play the odds. I think the system works well to make as many people as happy as possible.

And no, there is no order or preference given... every student writes their name once, and those that are overfilled go to lottery, and those that are under are automatically guaranteed their choice (they don't have to compete with those who lost on an overfill drawing).

And no, there is no order or preference given... every student writes their name once, and those that are overfilled go to lottery, and those that are under are automatically guaranteed their choice (they don't have to compete with those who lost on an overfill drawing).

Are the sites for 3rd year only in WV or across other states as well?

Are the sites for 3rd year only in WV or across other states as well?
The majority are in WV. There's one in Maryland, and a few in Ohio and Kentucky. I'd say almost 90% are in WV, so plan on being there for third year. I can't give you numbers, and the number of spots at each site can change from year to year.

Curious did you get emails for portal updates for acceptances?
I did not get an e-mail, but checked my portal and there it said "Accept Applicant" Then the next day, the letter came!

Reactions: 4 users
I did not get an e-mail, but checked my portal and there it said "Accept Applicant" Then the next day, the letter came!
yeah I found out it through the portal as well. No email though and I am still waiting for the letter.

I recently received an email the other day that added my electronically sent letters of recommendation to my portal. I saw others say this happened to them before they received an interview invite. I was just wondering how long did it take after the letters were added to receive the interview invite?

It was about a week for me. In state (not sure of that matters).

Thanks for your honest response, bummer.

Docmartin, do not listen to "world changer", they clearly have no idea what they are talking about. Your MCAT is well above WVSOM's average and your GPA is solid. If your EC's and work experience are good and you were able to demonstrate that your ideals align with WVSOM's mission, I can almost gaurentee you will get an II at this school. Keep positive/ in touch with admissions.

This school is amazing, but due to other circumstances I will be turning down my acceptance. Good luck to everyone else, I hope my seat goes to one of you!