West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Shucks, I would but I'll be there January 13th through the 18th. Good luck though! =D
Thank you. Good luck to you as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Do they upload letters on a specific day?

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's hear 'em. Or PM me

Sorry not an accepted student, but I do have some questions.

How much self study time do you get for the COMLEX? How are rotations set up (ex. lottery or do you set them up by yourself)? Since I am OOS, I was wondering if there are ways that OOS students have found to help with tuition (ex. scholarships, tutoring, etc.)?

Thank you for answering.

Err, I'm not positive, I'm only a first year student, but I think at least a month.

As far as rotations go, just look on the WVSOM website. Search for "clinical rotations." Long story short, third year you must do rotations in WV ("statewide campus") and fourth year you can continue doing rotations in statewide campus or you can set up your own rotations.

I'm an OOS student, as are a decent portion of my classmates. Most medical schools don't offer a ton as far as scholarships go (unless you fall under a special class required by a particular scholarship, e.g. Native American, underprivileged, etc). If you are alright with limiting yourself early, you can apply for the NHSC scholarship, military scholarships, or apply for a primary care reimbursement plan after you graduate. My plan is to work for a non-profit hospital and apply for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.

If you have any specific questions, you can PM me.

Err, I'm not positive, I'm only a first year student, but I think at least a month.

As far as rotations go, just look on the WVSOM website. Search for "clinical rotations." Long story short, third year you must do rotations in WV ("statewide campus") and fourth year you can continue doing rotations in statewide campus or you can set up your own rotations.

I'm an OOS student, as are a decent portion of my classmates. Most medical schools don't offer a ton as far as scholarships go (unless you fall under a special class required by a particular scholarship, e.g. Native American, underprivileged, etc). If you are alright with limiting yourself early, you can apply for the NHSC scholarship, military scholarships, or apply for a primary care reimbursement plan after you graduate. My plan is to work for a non-profit hospital and apply for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.

If you have any specific questions, you can PM me.

Thank you for you help.

How much self study time do you get for the COMLEX?
There's enough time for self-study. I recommend starting in Dec/Jan before your test in Jun/July.

How are rotations set up (ex. lottery or do you set them up by yourself)?
Around November in your second year, there will be a "Site Selection Day" that will determine where you will do clinical rotations your entire third year of medical school. You will have a base hospital to which you are assigned, though some of your rotations will be in other clinics or practices. As each hospital system can only take so many students, the sites can go to lottery if there is overflow. If you need to know the exact method it's determined, PM me. Fourth year you can fulfill your graduation requirements however you wish (a lot of students rotate in their home states or wherever they are auditioning to match for residency).

Since I am OOS, I was wondering if there are ways that OOS students have found to help with tuition (ex. scholarships, tutoring, etc.)?
As Tri4thlete mentioned, there are a few military scholarships (HPSP is the most common and the route my wife chose). Those do come with strings attached... you most likely do your residency in a military hospital and owe four or so years after residency, but they pay all of your tuition, give you a stipend ($2k a month or so), and you can get a $20k signing bonus.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Does wvsom give out conditional acceptances as longng as pre reqs are completed before the start of classes?

In addition do you know if online pre reqs are accepted at wvsom?

649387"]Hi guys,
I submitted by secondary 10/23 along with the required letters. My stats are sGPA 4.00, cGPA 3.96, 24. Do you think I have a shot at WVSOM? (I am still currently finishing my degree along with a few pre-reqs).

Also, approx. how long did it take you guys to here back regarding an II after submitting your secondary?

Thanks so much![/QUOTE]

Happy new year! May we all get interview invites and acceptances in 2015!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello! Is anyone interviewing on January 23rd? I'd love to find people to share a hotel room/transportation with! :)

Has anyone with DDC status post interview heard anything? I interviewed early in this cycle, crossing my fingers and getting anxious!

Hi guys, I have an interview scheduled with WVSOM for Monday January 26, but I am looking to push my interview date back if possible. Does anyone have a later date they would be interested in swapping with me? PM me if interested. Cheers!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm debating applying to WVSOM next cycle, and I read on the CIB that they require a DO letter. I wanted to know if the school makes any exceptions to this because I'm unsure if I can acquire a DO letter. I already have an MD letter though, but if that won't suffice obviously I won't bother applying. Thanks in advance!

I'm debating applying to WVSOM next cycle, and I read on the CIB that they require a DO letter. I wanted to know if the school makes any exceptions to this because I'm unsure if I can acquire a DO letter. I already have an MD letter though, but if that won't suffice obviously I won't bother applying. Thanks in advance!
They do not let you get away from this. In the secondary email it reminds you again about this and states that you must have a DO letter. Just go in to some DO offices and ask if you can shadow. You will find someone willing to do it! Good luck!

Last edited:
ACCEPTED!!! My portal just changed to Accept Applicant..didn't get a letter or anything but ICANTBREATHE! lol

Reactions: 6 users
How long does it take to get your official acceptance letter once you're in? I want to make sure I have my funds in order for that deposit lol

ACCEPTED!!! My portal just changed to Accept Applicant..didn't get a letter or anything but ICANTBREATHE! lol
When did you interview, if you don't mind me asking? I'm on pins and needles here lol

How long does it take to get your official acceptance letter once you're in? I want to make sure I have my funds in order for that deposit lol

Give it another couple days to a week. Mine came exactly a week later. Congratulations!

My letters were uploaded this afternoon! Fingers crossed for ii soon :)

Accepted today! (Stats: 3.37cGPA, 3.25sGPA, 28MCAT) Interviewed last month.

I wish I could get that instate tuition, 50k is just too much to be stuck in the middle of nowhere.. will be declining the offer. Great school and people though! Thankful for the offer :)

Hi everyone,

I was womdering if you guys think that it is too late to submit my secondary? How late does admissions interview? My DO letter writer just completed my letter. I'm an URM with average stats.

Thanks for your help!

Hi everyone,

I was womdering if you guys think that it is too late to submit my secondary? How late does admissions interview? My DO letter writer just completed my letter. I'm an URM with average stats.

Thanks for your help!

I don't think it would hurt to try. You don't pay for the secondary unless you receive an interview at this school, so you really have nothing to lose.

Thanks for your response. Guess you have a point there! Just submitted we'll see what happens. Good luck to you!

If anyone is interviewing next week (any time between 1/13 and 1/18). I have a hotel and rental car that we could split. I scored awesome deals on both. =D

Did anyone apply late and how long did they take to update you? Thanks

Yeah the cost of living there I looked up is like nothing. And if you're interested in primary care they are a leader in that field .

WVSOM, please extend me an interview. You're my top choice! :love:

ii just now choice of Feb 18 or Feb 20

I have a decision deferred and was complete the same day but haven't gotten an e-mail either. To cheer you up I'll share an excerpt from my essay about my experiences in a rural area "The front door of the home I grew up in legitimately faced a corn field."

If your in the range of 26 +/- 2 points/ GPA 3.5-4.0, I would think you have a good shot. I just gave up my seat, but I can tell you that they really want to get to know you. They are looking for more than stats alone, and they are super nice there. I ended up picking a school closer to family, but it was a tough choice. Good luck! :cat::)

Hey guys,
I received a II today and I chose to go with the 2/23/15 date. Looking forward to getting a crack at this school!

Received an interview for 2/23/15, anyone else going on that date?