West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone had a status update who interviewed on 1-26?

Members don't see this ad.

Last night I dreamed I was happily walking around WVSOM's campus. I think this is a sign I need to write an update letter, haha.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just checked the Portal and it says "Accept Applicant" :soexcited:. I'm very excited to attend WVSOM and will be giving up my other acceptances. I interviewed last Friday, 1/30/15.

Reactions: 6 users
Status change to "accept applicant" this means accepted for sure correct? Can anyone else confirm?

Reactions: 3 users
I just checked the Portal and it says "Accept Applicant" :soexcited:. I'm very excited to attend WVSOM and will be giving up my other acceptances. I interviewed last Friday, 1/30/15.
Congratulations! That's a great accomplishment! :D

Going to be withdrawing from my interview sometime this week due to an acceptance at one of my top schools. Just waiting for my deposit to go through to ensure my spot. Good Luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Basically all I need now is some quick, sure handed receivers and a shifty running back for my championship intramural flag football team. Submitted deposit today, good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Basically all I need now is some quick, sure handed receivers and a shifty running back for my championship intramural flag football team. Submitted deposit today, good luck to everyone.

You're all set at QB?

Has anyone been invited for an interview here that was listed as "Decision Deferred" yet? I sent in an update about my current research but I am wondering if I should send in a letter from my PI as well.

Accepted! I'm definitely going. Is there a page for housing?
After they process your deposits, your portal will give you a housing page that has a ton of listings and contact information. Also you will have access to financial aid applications and all that fun debt related stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted! I'm definitely going. Is there a page for housing?

Congrats! See you there!! As mentioned above, the portal has a link to a housing search engine. I checked it out but it did not turn up many results, but then again I need a dog friendly place so it probably really limited the search.

Congrats! See you there!! As mentioned above, the portal has a link to a housing search engine. I checked it out but it did not turn up many results, but then again I need a dog friendly place so it probably really limited the search.

Yeah I searched no pet and had like 3 pages ranging from around $550 to $1000.

Hi everyone. First post here. Received an interview invitation for either March 13 or 16 and plan on going. Stats are 3.36 graduate school GPA and 31 MCAT. I have done research for my master's thesis, 130 hrs shadowing, and 250 hours volunteer work. WVSOM will be my 3rd interview. Any advice for the interview?

Hi everyone. First post here. Received an interview invitation for either March 13 or 16 and plan on going. Stats are 3.36 graduate school GPA and 31 MCAT. I have done research for my master's thesis, 130 hrs shadowing, and 250 hours volunteer work. WVSOM will be my 3rd interview. Any advice for the interview?
Congrats! Basically, why DO, why WVSOM, explain any flags on your app, and elaborate on anything significant on your applications/experience, describe your hobbies, are you a human being? If you can answer those questions and hold a conversation well, you will be good! 3 interviewers for 30 minutes. They are very very very very nice and have great hospitality during the tour and interview itself. Very relaxing interview. Just remember that the interview I feel is judged throughout the entire day so don't take our your cell or cuss or anything unprofessional even on the tour. For the tour, ladies, heels would probably be uncomfortable so bring some flats or something your comfortable walking around in. Lastly, you do those scenarios 2-5 minute scenarios/MMI like. Easy peasy jeezy. All I can say. They go through the instructions before hand so if you have ANY questions, ask them at that time and definitely pay attention. I was highly impressed with the campus and the facilities and am sure they provide an amazing educational opportunity. Good luck!

I also just received an interview offer from WVSOM today for March 13th or 16th! Does anyone know if they are still currently accepting for the next class? Or are they just placing applicants they like on their wait list? Just trying to gauge whether or not I still have a chance this late in the cycle. I'm very interested in the school and would love to attend there!

I also just received an interview offer from WVSOM today for March 13th or 16th! Does anyone know if they are still currently accepting for the next class? Or are they just placing applicants they like on their wait list? Just trying to gauge whether or not I still have a chance this late in the cycle. I'm very interested n the school and would love to attend there!
I still haven't heard anything. Maybe I should call again.

Is anyone here interviewing on the 23rd? It'd be nice to get to know some of you. After going through all these posts and reading up on the school online, I'm VERY excited for my interview opportunity. And also, if anyone would be so kind as to share their interview experience, either on here or PM, I will greatly appreciate it. I'm getting so stoked!

Congrats! Basically, why DO, why WVSOM, explain any flags on your app, and elaborate on anything significant on your applications/experience, describe your hobbies, are you a human being? If you can answer those questions and hold a conversation well, you will be good! 3 interviewers for 30 minutes. They are very very very very nice and have great hospitality during the tour and interview itself. Very relaxing interview. Just remember that the interview I feel is judged throughout the entire day so don't take our your cell or cuss or anything unprofessional even on the tour. For the tour, ladies, heels would probably be uncomfortable so bring some flats or something your comfortable walking around in. Lastly, you do those scenarios 2-5 minute scenarios/MMI like. Easy peasy jeezy. All I can say. They go through the instructions before hand so if you have ANY questions, ask them at that time and definitely pay attention. I was highly impressed with the campus and the facilities and am sure they provide an amazing educational opportunity. Good luck!

You'll also have an opportunity to have lunch with 1st and 2nd years. Please please please don't take out your phones or be negative. It would be good to be cheery even though it is a nerve wracking experience. I have done several of these lunches and most people pass with flying colors but it's the negatives that we look out for. I personally love seeing a enthusiastic person who has done their research on the area. It shows that you are really considering coming to this school. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Wonder how many spots this school has left? Anyone have an idea?

I also just received an interview offer from WVSOM today for March 13th or 16th! Does anyone know if they are still currently accepting for the next class? Or are they just placing applicants they like on their wait list? Just trying to gauge whether or not I still have a chance this late in the cycle. I'm very interested in the school and would love to attend there!

Hey, so that is really hard to gauge this late in the cycle. People are constantly declining their acceptances so the open spots fluctuate. I don't know if they will admit to you if their class is currently filled or not. However, if you don't have another acceptance I would definitely attend. You certainly have a chance. Even if they are full now, they may have a few spots open up right around when you interview and you may not even get placed on a wait list. I was accepted recently and was not placed on a wait list.

Hey, so that is really hard to gauge this late in the cycle. People are constantly declining their acceptances so the open spots fluctuate. I don't know if they will admit to you if their class is currently filled or not. However, if you don't have another acceptance I would definitely attend. You certainly have a chance. Even if they are full now, they may have a few spots open up right around when you interview and you may not even get placed on a wait list. I was accepted recently and was not placed on a wait list.
do you think I have a chance with a 24 mcat???

First post. I have an interview March 4th! My wife is from West Virginia, so I'm excited to interview at WVSOM. Anyone else interviewing on the 4th?

do you think I have a chance with a 24 mcat???

I agree with the other comment. It can't hurt to try. You don't have to pay for it. So, why not? MCAT is not the only stat they look at. I think they really look at your essays. Also, I think they really look at your undergraduate and science GPA.

Any current students know what kind of laptop is provided?

I have been accepted and if I attend then I will be purchasing a 3 bedroom home. I will need roommates and given my love for dogs, I will certainly allow (almost require. Lol) pets. XP

Reactions: 2 users
I just got put on the alternative list, my interview was on 2/6

Does anyone know when they look at applicants who were deferred pre-interview?

Not sure, I would call the admissions and ask if they can give you tips on how to improve your application, maybe they can give you some advice so you can update it before the application cycle ends to get a shot at an interview.

I contacted them about this and received this:

"At this point, we are not needing anything. as you can imagine with close to 5000 applications, the applicant pool is quite competitive. When considering an applicant for an interview the Admissions Committee will be looking for the most competitive applications, which will have a minimum MCAT score of 24 or 25 and a minimum science GPA of 3.30 or above. Though they do not indicate the exact reason for an application being placed on hold, many times they are considering the most competitive. At this point, it is important for you to know we are nearing the very end of our interview cycle and it will be quite difficult to secure an interview. However, rest assured, if there is any change in your status we will let you know immediately. " I have a 30 MCAT so I thought I'd be competitive. I guess not, doesn't sound that promising.

I contacted them about this and received this:

"At this point, we are not needing anything. as you can imagine with close to 5000 applications, the applicant pool is quite competitive. When considering an applicant for an interview the Admissions Committee will be looking for the most competitive applications, which will have a minimum MCAT score of 24 or 25 and a minimum science GPA of 3.30 or above. Though they do not indicate the exact reason for an application being placed on hold, many times they are considering the most competitive. At this point, it is important for you to know we are nearing the very end of our interview cycle and it will be quite difficult to secure an interview. However, rest assured, if there is any change in your status we will let you know immediately. " I have a 30 MCAT so I thought I'd be competitive. I guess not, doesn't sound that promising.
While that is very disappointing to read, I can't say that it's unexpected. I applied very late in the cycle, but I was still hoping for the best. I'll reapply again with a stronger application, so I get a chance to interview at this great school. I'm definitely not giving up.

is anyones portal down today?
Their servers are down, Lewisburg got a decent bit of snow last night into this morning. When I called this morning it kept cutting off the phone, so hopefully everything will be worked out by tomorrow or Thursday.

Is there anyone else interviewing tomorrow? I am nervous about not being able to get a hold of anyone for confirmation as I know the weather has been bad and their phone lines are down.

Last edited: