West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there anyone else interviewing tomorrw? I am nervous about not being able to get a hold of anyone for confirmation as I know the weather has been bad and their phone lines are down.

Try to email them if you can't call. This would be the next best option.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I might be giving up my interview that I have on 3/2. We will see. Good luck!

So just an FYI, we need to be CPR certified by matriculation per Admissions. :beat:

Safe assumption whoever gets accepted in from this point on is put on the alternate list, it's pretty much just a waiting game. Hopefully someone whose second choice is WVSOM gets into the school they wanted and withdraws from WVSOM before the second deposit. That way everyone who is on the alternate list stands a better chance as compared to after March 16th where every spot that is filled after a withdraw is approved by a committee.

Last edited:
Anyone know where you can get that CPR certification for cheap or free? It's like 90 with the AMA

Safe assumption whoever gets accepted in from this point on is put on the alternate list, it's pretty much just a waiting game. Hopefully someone whose second choice is WVSOM gets into the school they wanted and withdraws from WVSOM before the second deposit. That way everyone who is on the alternate list stands a better chance as compared to after March 16th where every spot that is filled after a withdraw is approved by a committee.

Can't make that assumption just yet. There have been people in the 2013-2014 cycle that have been accepted during a February interview. In March, not so much. However, just remember that people who get put onto the alternate list could potentially be accepted to the next year's class as well. So don't lose hope if you haven't interviewed yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Can't make that assumption just yet. There have been people in the 2013-2014 cycle that have been accepted during a February interview. In March, not so much. However, just remember that people who get put onto the alternate list could potentially be accepted to the next year's class as well. So don't lose hope if you haven't interviewed yet.

I think it's pretty safe to assume now haha, I was put on the alternate and I interviewed 2/6 along with people who interviewed 2/9 plus they already stated they have their soft list so some movement will probably occur between now and March 15th when the second deposit is due. So, they already have accepted their quota it's just if someone decides they don't want to attend WVSOM and withdraws or doesn't pay their second deposit fee. I don't think any of us are losing hope with the potential of withdraws and then like you said there is the chance the committee and dean will decide to do rollovers.

I think it's pretty safe to assume now haha, I was put on the alternate and I interviewed 2/6 along with people who interviewed 2/9 plus they already stated they have their soft list so some movement will probably occur between now and March 15th when the second deposit is due. So, they already have accepted their quota it's just if someone decides they don't want to attend WVSOM and withdraws or doesn't pay their second deposit fee. I don't think any of us are losing hope with the potential of withdraws and then like you said there is the chance the committee and dean will decide to do rollovers.

hey! could u please explain what a "soft list" is?

Members don't see this ad :)
To be honest guys a lot of people give up interviews and spots at WVSOM. I think they still have spots and will through march . Most schools like this pull a ton off the waitlist.

Reactions: 2 users
To be honest guys a lot of people give up interviews and spots at WVSOM. I think they still have spots and will through march . Most schools like this pull a ton off the waitlist.
Honestly, can't thank you enough for that post. I go back and forth between being super hopeful and super depressed lol

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, can't thank you enough for that post. I go back and forth between being super hopeful and super depressed lol
Everyone on here just speculates. It's dumb . Although this is a great school a lot of people don't want to live in West Virginia lol and there's other reasons. But I'm sure they accept people through April and then take people off the wait-list. I know at least 5 people who were accepted here and went somewhere else. There are plenty more. Be hopeful.

Reactions: 6 users
Everyone on here just speculates. It's dumb . Although this is a great school a lot of people don't want to live in West Virginia lol and there's other reasons. But I'm sure they accept people through April and then take people off the wait-list. I know at least 5 people who were accepted here and went somewhere else. There are plenty more. Be hopeful.
Aren't you just speculating that they accept people through April and then take some off the waitlist? I don't think anyone isn't being hopeful but when I called this morning because I was also put on the alternate list and interviewed (2/12 - interview date) I was told their soft list means they have already accepted 200, which is why people are being put on their alternate list because if they accept anymore and everyone decides to go...well they have to big of a class. SO if all of the accepted wanted to attend WVSOM (highly doubtful) then they have their 2015 class. I was also told to look for movement around March 15th since the second deposit is due then, many people will probably drop their acceptance by then if they don't want to attend WVSOM. Patricia told me that up until that date (March 15th) anyone who withdraws has their spot filled by the alternate list, and it doesn't have to go to committee. BUT if someone withdraws after March 15th then the application they choose to fill the withdraw spot is voted upon by the committee from the entire alternate list pool.

Aren't you just speculating that they accept people through April and then take some off the waitlist? I don't think anyone isn't being hopeful but when I called this morning because I was also put on the alternate list and interviewed (2/12 - interview date) I was told their soft list means they have already accepted 200, which is why people are being put on their alternate list because if they accept anymore and everyone decides to go...well they have to big of a class. SO if all of the accepted wanted to attend WVSOM (highly doubtful) then they have their 2015 class. I was also told to look for movement around March 15th since the second deposit is due then, many people will probably drop their acceptance by then if they don't want to attend WVSOM. Patricia told me that up until that date (March 15th) anyone who withdraws has their spot filled by the alternate list, and it doesn't have to go to committee. BUT if someone withdraws after March 15th then the application they choose to fill the withdraw spot is voted upon by the committee from the entire alternate list pool.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but anyone who has interviews from now on is unfortunately going to make the alternate list if WVSOM likes them.
Then, like you said there is always the hope of withdraws from now until the first week of class and there are some big dates coming up that people tend to withdraw from like March 15 and the Medical School date where each student can only hold one acceptance, April 30th. It's just the fact is they already have their soft list everything after that is indeed speculation

Good info. Thanks.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but anyone who has interviews from now on is unfortunately going to make the alternate list if WVSOM likes them.
Then, like you said there is always the hope of withdraws from now until the first week of class and there are some big dates coming up that people tend to withdraw from like March 15 and the Medical School date where each student can only hold one acceptance, April 30th. It's just the fact is they already have their soft list everything after that is indeed speculation
All I'm saying is that I am sure plenty of people will be accepted from the alternate list or who might interview coming up. I know that DCOM takes half off their wait list and I'm sure this school is similar .

I really hope things work out for everyone!
I didn't submit my application till January and haven't heard anything back, but that is to be expected because it was a crazy last minute decision. I did it because I know A physician who graduated from there urged me to, and he said even if I was placed as an alternate I'd be very likely to get in, so you all should definitely hold on to that hope!

Waiting for my interview tomorrow won't be too bad tonight with the Academy Awards, The Walking Dead and Better Call Saul tonight. I'm getting really excited to finally be able to visit WVSOM tomorrow :D

Waiting for my interview tomorrow won't be too bad tonight with the Academy Awards, The Walking Dead and Better Call Saul tonight. I'm getting really excited to finally be able to visit WVSOM tomorrow :D

I'm interviewing tomorrow, too! Pretty excited and nervous. Good luck to you!

Any advice for the interview? What is the role play thing about?

Any advice for the interview? What is the role play thing about?
There are posts recently about general advice and run through of the interview process and also throughout the thread thats really useful. But definitely be yourself and relax. I second what Logistics has to say about the second question. My advice is don't stress about it too much. If you have more specific questions, I can see how I can help. PM or ask away.

I had my interview yesterday, and I want to start by saying the faculty is full of the sweetest people on the planet. Everyone is so NICE. The interview was very relaxed and conversational, just know your application. The students were also very nice, all of the ones we saw stopped to say hello and good luck. This school is great. The facilities are great. Hoping for some love!

Hey All!
This is my first post on here...

I interviewed Wednesday, 2/18 and I was just wondering if anyone who interviewed last week or the week before has heard back from them. Angie from admissions told us their admissions committee meets on Tuesday so I was expecting to hear something today but I didn't. Also has anyone been accepted recently? I saw the last person who posted they were accepted was on Feb 16ish and I am just hoping there is still a chance.

Hey All!

I interviewed Wednesday, 2/18 and I was just wondering if anyone who interviewed last week or the week before has heard back from them. Angie from admissions told us their admissions committee meets on Tuesday so I was expecting to hear something today but I didn't. Also has anyone been accepted recently? I saw the last person who posted they were accepted was on Feb 16ish and I am just hoping there is still a chance.
I interviewed the week before you did and was put on the Alternate list. I found out on a Wednesday around noon Pacific Time so maybe they will update the portal tomorrow? I haven't heard any acceptances, only a few Alternate Listed people that interviewed in Feb. Hoping there will be some movement off this list soon, if not on March 15.

Hey All!

I interviewed the week before you, but still haven't heard anything.

I interviewed the week before you did and was put on the Alternate list. I found out on a Wednesday around noon Pacific Time so maybe they will update the portal tomorrow? I haven't heard any acceptances, only a few Alternate Listed people that interviewed in Feb. Hoping there will be some movement off this list soon, if not on March 15.

I interviewed the week before you, but still haven't heard anything.

Thank you! I am keeping my fingers crossed and will post as soon as I get an update :thumbup: WVSOM is my top choice by far! :)

Giving up my interview. Best of luck to you guys!

Anyone still waiting to hear don't give up hope, got offered an interview today, which is surprisingly late!

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone still waiting to hear don't give up hope, got offered an interview today, which is surprisingly late!
Were you deferred before you were given an interview or just pending??

Gave up my 3/13 interview earlier this week.

Hey everyone, congrats to all that have been accepted and good luck to everyone else!

I had a quick question - so i sent in my secondaries a little under a week ago (super late, i know) - but I sent my letters via interfolio and under the checklist, it said the letters were received and next to one it said the name of the DO that I shadowed. I have read that they only upload peoples' letters who they are giving an ii to, is this what everyone is talking about when they say the letters are uploaded?! I really hope so, WVSOM seems like an absolutely amazing fit for me, I would love to go there. The decision says 'in process - decision pending" and application preference : 1. Any input would definitely be appreciated!!

Edit: forgot to mention they also sent two emails after my letters were received, saying my application has been updated with my letters.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, congrats to all that have been accepted and good luck to everyone else!

I had a quick question - so i sent in my secondaries a little under a week ago (super late, i know) - but I sent my letters via interfolio and under the checklist, it said the letters were received and next to one it said the name of the DO that I shadowed. I have read that they only upload peoples' letters who they are giving an ii to, is this what everyone is talking about when they say the letters are uploaded?! I really hope so, WVSOM seems like an absolutely amazing fit for me, I would love to go there. The decision says 'in process - decision pending" and application preference : 1. Any input would definitely be appreciated!!

Edit: forgot to mention they also sent two, identical, emails after my letters were received, saying my application has been updated.
WVSOM received my letters back in October but didn't post them until a few weeks ago when I received an II a couple of days later.

They have had my letters since September and have done nothing with them :/ losing hope

WVSOM received my letters back in October but didn't post them until a few weeks ago when I received an II a couple of days later.
Thanks for the information! I don't fully understand how you would know they received them without them posting them. And by posting them, do you mean what I explained in my earlier post? Thanks again for your help!

Thanks for the information! I don't fully understand how you would know they received them without them posting them. And by posting them, do you mean what I explained in my earlier post? Thanks again for your help!
I sent the letters by interfolio and assumed that they were received. A few days before my II my letters were shown as received on the checklist.

Edit: forgot to mention they also sent two, identical, emails after my letters were received, saying my application has been updated.

Yes this is exactly what happens before you are offered an interview invitation. For me it took about 1 week after the letters were uploaded to be invited to an interview. Hopefully you will get an interview offer very soon! Good luck

Yes this is exactly what happens before you are offered an interview invitation. For me it took about 1 week after the letters were uploaded to be invited to an interview. Hopefully you will get an interview offer very soon! Good luck
Should I maybe call? They have my letters but have seen no portal change in a long time. :/

I wouldn't get my hopes up for an acceptance this late in the game since it appears that they're giving more waitlist spots that acceptances at their current interviews.
My letters showed as received before I completed my secondary so I don't see any truth to that. My portal said in process decision pending till they offered me an interview. It took ~4 weeks to be offered an interview.

Thank you very much!!!! I am hoping!! congrats to you!, that is excellent news

I wouldn't get my hopes up for an acceptance this late in the game since it appears that they're giving more waitlist spots that acceptances at their current interviews.
My letters showed as received before I completed my secondary so I don't see any truth to that. My portal said in process decision pending till they offered me an interview. It took ~4 weeks to be offered an interview.
Thanks for the input! yeah I know it's late in the game, but i figured I should try. I had a really late MCAT too so that the main factor. I hear a lot of ppl get taken off the waitlist around march 15 when the fee is due also. Congrats on getting an ii!

I sent the letters by interfolio and assumed that they were received. A few days before my II my letters were shown as received on the checklist.
Oh ok, thank you so much for all the info! I just wasn't sure if they sent like a confirmation or anything like that saying they received them or something. Congratulations on being accepted, what an awesome feeling that must be!!