West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Whelp I just got the email saying I was placed on the alternate list and my statues changed from Decision Pending to Alternate List. Not what I was hoping for but then again not the worst outcome. Hopefully there aren't too many people waiting to get off of it and there will be a lot of movement come March 15th!

Members don't see this ad.

Whelp I just got the email saying I was placed on the alternate list and my statues changed from Decision Pending to Alternate List. Not what I was hoping for but then again not the worst outcome. Hopefully there aren't too many people waiting to get off of it and there will be a lot of movement come March 15th!
Interesting. I interviewed a week earlier, 2/9, and still haven't heard back. *nail biting* Anyone else interview before 2/18 who hasn't had a change in status?

Interesting. I interviewed a week earlier, 2/9, and still haven't heard back. *nail biting* Anyone else interview before 2/18 who hasn't had a change in status?

I was one of them that interviewed before 2/18. They just asked me a question about my transcript and will be looking over my app this week. I probably won't get my hopes up though.

Members don't see this ad :)
How are they reviewing these- alphabetically instead of chronologically lol? My last name starts with L, I interviewed 2/18 and have not heard back yet.

Last edited:
Accepted for class of 2019 and deposits have been made! Over-the-moon ecstatic!
If anyone else is accepted and looking for a roommate, please PM me. I'll be adding my new house to the directory soon as well. =D

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone, congrats to all that have been accepted and good luck to everyone else!

I had a quick question - so i sent in my secondaries a little under a week ago (super late, i know) - but I sent my letters via interfolio and under the checklist, it said the letters were received and next to one it said the name of the DO that I shadowed. I have read that they only upload peoples' letters who they are giving an ii to, is this what everyone is talking about when they say the letters are uploaded?! I really hope so, WVSOM seems like an absolutely amazing fit for me, I would love to go there. The decision says 'in process - decision pending" and application preference : 1. Any input would definitely be appreciated!!

Edit: forgot to mention they also sent two emails after my letters were received, saying my application has been updated with my letters.

Pretty sure you have yourself an interview my friend!

Pretty sure you have yourself an interview my friend!
Ah that would be amazing!!!!! It's been like that for 4 or 5 days. I am checking the portal frequently, hoooping it say something about an interview!just as a side note - going through this thread is great; everyone seems really cool in here,I would love the opportunity to share the med school journey with you all

Edit : on mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm gonna be giving up my seat this week. Bummed that I wont be getting my $2k back but it's alright. Seemed like a good school. Good luck! Hope someone gets my spot!

Reactions: 6 users
I'm gonna be giving up my seat this week. Bummed that I wont be getting my $2k back but it's alright. Seemed like a good school. Good luck! Hope someone gets my spot!
That's a bummer for ya, you must have your reasons though! Congrats on your acceptance regardless

Reactions: 1 user
2nd deposit paid...class of 2019, here I come! It's gonna be wicked!

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted for class of 2019 and deposits have been made! Over-the-moon ecstatic!
If anyone else is accepted and looking for a roommate, please PM me. I'll be adding my new house to the directory soon as well. =D
My sincere congratulations to you! :clap:

I interviewed the same week as you and still haven't heard anything... :eek:

Interview 2/11. Place on alternate list today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Change in status today: alternate list. Still hopeful.

Does anyone know if anyone is being accepted, without being put on an alternate list, this late in the cycle? Or is the alternate list the only thing being handed out as of this point (assuming they like you after the interview). Also, does anyone know if they offer any acceptances for the class of 2020 this cycle too?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if anyone is being accepted, without being put on an alternate list, this late in the cycle? Or is the alternate list the only thing being handed out as of this point (assuming they like you after the interview). Also, does anyone know if they offer any acceptances for the class of 2020 this cycle too?
I spoke with someone from admissions, and they've already accepted their max amount. So, presently, no they're not giving out acceptances, but I'm sure there will be movement soon, no worries.

I spoke with someone from admissions, and they've already accepted their max amount. So, presently, no they're not giving out acceptances, but I'm sure there will be movement soon, no worries.
Oh ok thanks - kind of a bummer, yeah hopefully there will be a lot of movement (still hoping for that interview!)

Just checked my portal and it says "denied admission by comittee". I'm shocked :( my interview went well. I was hoping for accepted but expecting waitlist not a rejection :(((((((((

Just checked my portal and it says "denied admission by comittee". I'm shocked :( my interview went well. I was hoping for accepted but expecting waitlist not a rejection :(((((((((

Sorry to hear that I hope you get some love from the other schools.

Sorry to hear this! I received a post-interview rejection in another cycle and it stung. Admission to med. school is a highly subjective process with no evident rhyme or reason sometimes. I wouldn't take it too personally. I would suggest requesting feedback on what you could do to improve your application, if you don't end up with an acceptance elsewhere.

Thanks IslandStyle 808 and 9632. I think I am going to contact the office of admissions. Who do you think would be best to email or speak with?

Thanks IslandStyle 808 and 9632. I think I am going to contact the office of admissions. Who do you think would be best to email or speak with?

Not sure myself, but the ideal person would be someone from the admissions committee or the admissions dean. If not, then one of the admission's staff maybe helpful.

I just called the general admissions number today and they were extremely helpful!

I might call or send an email to the admission's person who gave you the tour during your interview or the person who set up your interview. They will likely have access to your file. The committee, as well as the interviewers, may have made notes in your file that they could share with you. You might just ask something like, I was wondering if the admission's committee noted any rationale for their decision that I could work on for the following admission's cycle? Some schools will share this information with you and others will not. Best of luck!

I am sure this has been answered before but I'm just looking for confirmation. Have people previously matriculated after being placed on the alternate list? How long did it take? How close was it to the orientation day? Would sending more updates be helpful? Does it depend on when you send the update (I have heard that sending an update close to when a seat opens may increase someone's chance)? I am really hoping for some movement. I appreciate the information.

I am sure this has been answered before but I'm just looking for confirmation. Have people previously matriculated after being placed on the alternate list? How long did it take? How close was it to the orientation day? Would sending more updates be helpful? Does it depend on when you send the update (I have heard that sending an update close to when a seat opens may increase someone's chance)? I am really hoping for some movement. I appreciate the information.
From past threads, yup people have been accepted from alternate list, seemed like last year was around May-July and even up till orientation day. As far as updates, I don't think anyone can really say unless your from admissions. I always say it doesn't hurt but it might not have much weight. Keep a watch for March 15 or 16 which is when second deposit is due. I called admissions and they said thats its possible for movement then but they cant say much.

Not sure how to reply to 2 messages at once, because I also want to reply to TheDarkNeuron's question about WVSOM being accepted for the following year.

Last cycle I was placed on the Alternate List after a late February interview. I did not hear anything until about a month before orientation when I got a call from Patricia Perkins telling my they have accepted me. I had no other acceptances. By that time I had kind of assumed I would not be accepted, and made some commitments to stay in NY for another year, so I had to decline the offer. I was, however, told that WVSOM occasionally offers rollover acceptances to the following year (This speaks to TheDarkNeuron's question) and after some time I was granted a rollover acceptance to the class of 2019, which I gladly took!

To address to your question on updates; I am not sure if what I did was typical, but it did help. Early April I had my Principal Investigator from my research lab send an update via email to inform WVSOM that I would be granted authorship on a publication (research was a strong point in my application). They replied quickly stating that it would be added to my application and thanked him for the update.

About movement on the list: I never actually called myself to inquire, because so many other people from this forum did and were told the same thing...That there is a lot of movement. They also said that, and I am not sure how true this is, is that whenever a spot opens up, they basically review all waitlisted applicants over again...meaning they do NOT rank their waitlist. This seems somewhat unlikely, and they probably just say this because they do not want applicants to continuously ask "where am I on the list?" but I am just speculating here.

Anyway, the point is in my experience, patience was key. Good luck to both of you and I get to meet you both at orientation this year.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi guys, I'd like to know your opinion on my case. I got an II for this mid-march. I'm leaning toward of not going to it. The reason is that I have a feeling I will be interviewed for waitlist and am having to spend another $800 for flights, hotel, and cabs. I already am waitlisted at another school (very high on it) and I think I have a very good shoot at that school. Should I cancel my interview at WVSOM or not? I have until Fri to decide, so I'd like to know what any of you would do in my situation.
Hmm yeah that is tough - If it was me, I would still go. It is a lot of money to make the trip, but you never know. Idk, the only input I can give is what I would do if I was in your shoes, good luck!

Not sure how to reply to 2 messages at once, because I also want to reply to TheDarkNeuron's question about WVSOM being accepted for the following year.

Last cycle I was placed on the Alternate List after a late February interview. I did not hear anything until about a month before orientation when I got a call from Patricia Perkins telling my they have accepted me. I had no other acceptances. By that time I had kind of assumed I would not be accepted, and made some commitments to stay in NY for another year, so I had to decline the offer. I was, however, told that WVSOM occasionally offers rollover acceptances to the following year (This speaks to TheDarkNeuron's question) and after some time I was granted a rollover acceptance to the class of 2019, which I gladly took!

To address to your question on updates; I am not sure if what I did was typical, but it did help. Early April I had my Principal Investigator from my research lab send an update via email to inform WVSOM that I would be granted authorship on a publication (research was a strong point in my application). They replied quickly stating that it would be added to my application and thanked him for the update.

About movement on the list: I never actually called myself to inquire, because so many other people from this forum did and were told the same thing...That there is a lot of movement. They also said that, and I am not sure how true this is, is that whenever a spot opens up, they basically review all waitlisted applicants over again...meaning they do NOT rank their waitlist. This seems somewhat unlikely, and they probably just say this because they do not want applicants to continuously ask "where am I on the list?" but I am just speculating here.

Anyway, the point is in my experience, patience was key. Good luck to both of you and I get to meet you both at orientation this year.
Oh wow that is awesome news! Thank you for the reply!!

Hi guys, I'd like to know your opinion on my case. I got an II for this mid-march. I'm leaning toward of not going to it. The reason is that I have a feeling I will be interviewed for waitlist and am having to spend another $800 for flights, hotel, and cabs. I already am waitlisted at another school (very high on it) and I think I have a very good shoot at that school. Should I cancel my interview at WVSOM or not? I have until Fri to decide, so I'd like to know what any of you would do in my situation.
I personally would go until I have a guaranteed acceptance. Maybe find a flight that has a refundable fare or fare credit or hotel that does that too.

I agree with the above posters...this process can be such a crapshoot. Nothing is guaranteed in med school admissions. Don't ease up until you have an acceptance in hand. Try your best to make that interview and kill it!

I think you'd regret not visiting this school. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with what you find out of a school in small town West Virginia. Plus 3/15 is the controversial date that will shake up whether the class remains full or not, more than likely the latter. So it's worth throwing your hat in to see if you get the opportunity to be accepted. You will be a doctor one day, $800 is a drop in the bucket. :laugh:

As yocharlie stated, since you don't have an acceptance in hand you should go. I had to tell myself the same thing when I dropped $1200 for my interview.

I think you'd regret not visiting this school. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with what you find out of a school in small town West Virginia. Plus 3/15 is the controversial date that will shake up whether the class remains full or not, more than likely the latter. So it's worth throwing your hat in to see if you get the opportunity to be accepted. You will be a doctor one day, $800 is a drop in the bucket. :laugh:

What I would give to have an interview cost me only $800 dollars on the east coast...

I just got accepted! Just heard back I was placed on the alternate list mid February, I had my interview on 2/6! The movement has started keep an eye out on your portal!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I just got accepted! Just heard back I was placed on the alternate list mid February, I had my interview on 2/9! The movement has started keep an eye out on your portal!!!
I just check!!!!!!! Me too!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Q_Q In Process - Decision Pending since end of October. Likely not going to get an interview this year sigh.

Q_Q In Process - Decision Pending since end of October. Likely not going to get an interview this year sigh.
I had the same thing. I called and spoke to someone and she said she would look at my application.

I just checked my portal and it says 'Accepted Applicant'!!!! I can't believe it!:laugh::banana::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Congrats to yocharlie and CJ8158!! :claps:I guess a lot of spots opened up today!! Either way I couldn't be happier!!!

Reactions: 7 users
I just checked my portal and it says 'Accepted Applicant'!!!! I can't believe it!:laugh::banana::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Congrats to yocharlie and CJ8158!! :claps:I guess a lot of spots opened up today!! Either way I couldn't be happier!!!
I just check!!!!!!! Me too!!! 2/9 interview!!
I just got accepted! Just heard back I was placed on the alternate list mid February, I had my interview on 2/6! The movement has started keep an eye out on your portal!!!

Congrats to everyone that got accepted off the alternate list!! Could u share what state yall are from and/or any stats so we can see if there's any trend?? Thanks so much! And congrats again! Can't wait to be in ur shoes soon hopefully:)

I had the same thing. I called and spoke to someone and she said she would look at my application.

Yeah I called an admissions counselor a few weeks back and she said she'd see if she could get the adcom to review it so I could get a decision. Since nothing has changed, I'm assuming it's probably a rejection and they're just waiting until the end of the cycle.

Congrats to everyone that got accepted off the alternate list!! Could u share what state yall are from and/or any stats so we can see if there's any trend?? Thanks so much! And congrats again! Can't wait to be in ur shoes soon hopefully:)

Sure! :)
I am a West Virginia Resident and my stats are:
24 MCAT (7P/8V/9B)
GPA 3.4
sGPA 3.34
I have about 50 hours of shadowing experience with 3 different Doctors (1 MD, 2DO)
The biggest thing I stressed in my application was my experience as a Resident Assistant for the past 3 years.
I also went to an open house in November, which I heard helps.
But that's about it for me!

I sent in my secondary application in around Christmas time and all 3 of my LORs in January and February. I received a phone call on February 5th to interview on February 18th because someone had to cancel leaving a spot open. To be honest I didn't think my interview went that well. I was super nervous and I felt like I was babbling/repeating myself way to much. Either way I didn't expect good news so getting waitlisted made me happy! I am still trying to figure out how I came off so quickly but if you have any other questions let me know! :

And I hope you are in our shoes soon too!! :)

Reactions: 4 users