West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My letters were classified incorrectly so I called and she told me she was about to invite me to interview! I was shocked haha
Congrats on the invite!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know - do they send out invites weekly on a certain day? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accept applicant! Woohoooooo! First acceptance, so stoked.

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats everyone, this must feel amazing to know YOU'RE GOING TO BE DOCTORS!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
holy... crap.....

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 10 users
woohoo checked my status earlier today! I was accepted! huge relief. Definitely a great school. I got 4 more interviews to go before I make a final decision but this school definitely wowed me.

Hey all,

Current first year here. Let me know if you have any questions! This forum was my lifeline through this whole process last year so I'm happy to help.

So a couple of days ago, I saw a dream within a dream. In that dream within the dream, I saw that WVSOM had rejected me. When I wake up (still dreaming), I see an email which says that I have been rejected. However I get a call just moments later from WVSOM ( in the dream), and that person on the phone tells me there was some technical error earlier and they were actually called me for an interview. And then I finally wake up, no interview invite from WVSOM yet. My dream finally has come through though. Officially invited for interview today! wohoo!:)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys.

I'm interviewing this Friday 09/19/2014

I'll be in Lewisburg by Thursday.

PM me if you wanna grab dinner/lunch!

Received my ii from WVSOM today too! I had my letters uploaded on my checklist on Monday, so it only took two days :)

II today as well. Maybe I'll see some of you October 27th!

Has anyone had their status change yet after receiving a status of "decision deferred"?

Has anyone had their status change yet after receiving a status of "decision deferred"?
yeah i had my decision deferred initially. But now I scheduled for an II in Oct now.

Last edited:
Just got a rejection letter in the mail. Thought my interview went pretty well though. Guess not.

MCAT 27
GPA- 3.7
sGPA- 3.6
Decent ECs

When I checked online, it still said decision pending though.

Just got a rejection letter in the mail. Thought my interview went pretty well though. Guess not.

MCAT 27
GPA- 3.7
sGPA- 3.6
Decent ECs

Sorry to hear that. Keep your head up, more good things will come!

Congrats to those who have been accepted!

For those that have interviewed here and have this info, could you please chime in on the cheapest hotel/motel within 15 mins from campus?

For those that have interviewed here and have this info, could you please chime in on the cheapest hotel/motel within 15 mins from campus?
Super 8 is super cheap no pun intended, and is about a quarter mile from the school!

I stayed at the holiday inn, 3 min drive from campus and $89 a night.

Reactions: 2 users
Holiday inn was good, free breakfast and decent hot tub. :)

MCAT 27
GPA- 3.7
sGPA- 3.6
Decent ECs

Sorry to hear that man! Those are great stats you deserve more. Mind telling me when you got the interview?

MCAT 27
GPA- 3.7
sGPA- 3.6
Decent ECs

If there's one thing I've learned about admissions in medical school this year (besides the fact that I never want to have to do this again...) it's that it seems like a complete crap shoot 99% of the time. Keep digging, there's a seat meant for you somewhere!

Good morning everyone, I interviewed on the 17th and I’m just now getting free time to post about my trip. I took as many pictures of Lewisburg as I could, and I’ve uploaded them to an album for everyone to be able to look at. http://s470.photobucket.com/user/Gentay/library/West Virginia. I also wanted to add how cool and friendly the 7 other interviewees were. I stayed nearby at the Quality Inn, breakfast was good, had a bar and grill built right into the hotel, and the sheets were clean.

The town is actually small, it felt like everything was in a 10 minute drive. I visited: Lost World Caverns, an underground cavern that is a self guided tour and the shop has some dinosaur fossils, Smooth Ambler Spirits, a distillery that specializes in making whiskey (if you have “youlook16butarereally25itis, you might want to have your ID handy, I know I needed it often), Carnegie Hall and an Old Presperterian Church. The roads are small and curvy, and because of all the trees, I was 5 deer on my whole trip hanging out near the road.

The admissions staff said you are most welcome to check out the school at your leisure, so you don’t need to be cautious about a security guard giving you a hard time as you’re taking pictures. If you want to buy a souvenir mug like I did, the bookstore is in the main building. Head through the main door, and you’ll see two sets of stairs leading to the same spot, the store is right up those steps. When you are about to interview, park anywhere in the parking lot but be mindful of dump trucks. They are doing some construction on one of the buildings in order to double its size. You’ll want to head down a hill and go into a small building, (it’s picture #4 in the album) and go in the side that faces the main building. Once you go in, you’ll meet your Am and PM groups, not to mention, some of the nicest admissions staff I’ve ever met. You did need to sign a confidentiality agreement in order to do you SAE or 2 5 minute mini interview. You’ll get some good instructions before you begin and after working with so many attorneys for so many years, gag orders and confidentiality agreements freak me out, and that’s all I’ll be saying on them. The staff did mention how proud they were of students for being respectful when they spoke online about their mini interview.

I think this is everything, if I remember anything else, I’ll just edit it in. Good luck future interviewers!

Reactions: 5 users
Good morning everyone, I interviewed on the 17th and I’m just now getting free time to post about my trip. I took as many pictures of Lewisburg as I could, and I’ve uploaded them to an album for everyone to be able to look at. http://s470.photobucket.com/user/Gentay/library/West Virginia. I also wanted to add how cool and friendly the 7 other interviewees were. I stayed nearby at the Quality Inn, breakfast was good, had a bar and grill built right into the hotel, and the sheets were clean.

The town is actually small, it felt like everything was in a 10 minute drive. I visited: Lost World Caverns, an underground cavern that is a self guided tour and the shop has some dinosaur fossils, Smooth Ambler Spirits, a distillery that specializes in making whiskey (if you have “youlook16butarereally25itis, you might want to have your ID handy, I know I needed it often), Carnegie Hall and an Old Presperterian Church. The roads are small and curvy, and because of all the trees, I was 5 deer on my whole trip hanging out near the road.

The admissions staff said you are most welcome to check out the school at your leisure, so you don’t need to be cautious about a security guard giving you a hard time as you’re taking pictures. If you want to buy a souvenir mug like I did, the bookstore is in the main building. Head through the main door, and you’ll see two sets of stairs leading to the same spot, the store is right up those steps. When you are about to interview, park anywhere in the parking lot but be mindful of dump trucks. They are doing some construction on one of the buildings in order to double its size. You’ll want to head down a hill and go into a small building, (it’s picture #4 in the album) and go in the side that faces the main building. Once you go in, you’ll meet your Am and PM groups, not to mention, some of the nicest admissions staff I’ve ever met. You did need to sign a confidentiality agreement in order to do you SAE or 2 5 minute mini interview. You’ll get some good instructions before you begin and after working with so many attorneys for so many years, gag orders and confidentiality agreements freak me out, and that’s all I’ll be saying on them. The staff did mention how proud they were of students for being respectful when they spoke online about their mini interview.

I think this is everything, if I remember anything else, I’ll just edit it in. Good luck future interviewers!
Excellent write up! I want to add that anyone interviewing should also check out the Stardust cafe in lewisburg, they have amazing food that is locally sourced.

Interview spot on October 29 should be opening up sometime this week if anyone wants it. I just emailed today to give up my interview date.

Can anyone tell me any signs an interview went well here? I keep replaying the interview over and over in my head and need some sort of peace of mind.

Can anyone tell me any signs an interview went well here? I keep replaying the interview over and over in my head and need some sort of peace of mind.
Mine was only about 20 mins and I was accepted. Hard to read unfortunately.

Anyone placed on deferred decision and eventually taken off? I was deferred 9/15 and hoping for some love eventually.

I don't get it. So the interview only consists of the SAE? Or do they also ask you questions like why this school? why medicine?

I don't get it. So the interview only consists of the SAE? Or do they also ask you questions like why this school? why medicine?
Both a 30 minute personal interview as well as SAE after the interview

Both a 30 minute personal interview as well as SAE after the interview
I am part of the PM group, so I believe my SAE will be prior to the one on one interview. If I am part of the PM group, should I arrive a little before 10?
Correction, I called Ms. Bowyer and as part of the PM group, I want to arrive around 10 minutes prior to my interview.

Last edited:
Congrats Relebdocs! Any advice for the interview? I am interviewing here this Friday

Thank you! So the best I can tell ya and respect privacy rules is: Know WHY osteopathy, exactly why and what it is ( don't just say whole picture, I have heard that doesn't work out too well). Have an idea about OMM because they take it seriously at WVSOM. Know your academic strength and be prepared to explain weaknesses. Definitely be proactive, respectful, and well mannered as soon as you walk in consider yourself under surveillance. Have thorough explanations for questions they have and be prepared for a lax interview they will not grill you. Hope this helps.

Also accepted!!! Is this real life???? I checked my status online and sure enough: Accept Applicant = heart left thoracic cavity and is currently 30,000 feet above sea level.

Reactions: 4 users
Flight/hotel/car rental reservations complete! I'll see some of you folks in Lewisburg on 10/8!