West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What does it mean by "decision deferred" ?
your application is on hold.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anybody else interviewing Friday? I'm hyyyyyyyped. A lil' worried I'll get lost coming from Charleston so we'll see how that goes.

Anybody else interviewing Friday? I'm hyyyyyyyped. A lil' worried I'll get lost coming from Charleston so we'll see how that goes.

I'll be there on Friday. Leaving early Thursday, because I'm coming from North Carolina myself. Staying at the Super 8 in town. I'm pretty excited too! Feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If my letters from interfolio have been uploaded to the checklist, does this mean I will definitely receive an interview invite? If so, how long does it take them to send the email or notification regarding the interview? Thank you!

If my letters from interfolio have been uploaded to the checklist, does this mean I will definitely receive an interview invite? If so, how long does it take them to send the email or notification regarding the interview? Thank you!

I'd say no.

Unfortunately, no. That is not a guarantee.

I'm interviewing on Friday! Staying at the Super 8 Thursday night.

Enjoy the drive! It's beautiful. Make sure you bring some cash for the two tolls that are on the way to Lewisburg.

I bet the fall colors are amazing right now in West Virginia.
I absolutely loved the area. If you have time, go explore the New River Gorge, it was gorgeous.

So I looked through this thread and couldn't find anything but I was wondering what the SAE was like? I'm sure you can't give specifics but is it like ethical situations or medical situations?

So I looked through this thread and couldn't find anything but I was wondering what the SAE was like? I'm sure you can't give specifics but is it like ethical situations or medical situations?
We can not discuss or give any hints at all, we signed a confidentiality agreement.
However, let me tell you it is a lot fun, seriously! Just be a normal human being as you are in life. Nothing to even stress about.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary Submitted! Here is to hoping for an II!

I bet the fall colors are amazing right now in West Virginia.
I absolutely loved the area. If you have time, go explore the New River Gorge, it was gorgeous.
GORGE-eous I see what you did there ;););)

How soon after the interview do most people hear back? I just had mine recently.
It's pretty relaxed. Lots of sitting around talking before you actually get interviewed.
I too was worried about the SAE but they're straightforward.

hopefully some 3rd year students, can help me with this question. I understand that his school is mission is for rural medicine, which I am very interested in, but can a third year student do clinicals at both rural and urban areas. My question is their a limitation to where the students can do their rotations? I know it is mostly in wv, but are they all rural. Do this rotation also have residents their? thanks in advance

Interview Invite!! Excited and nervous!!

Reactions: 3 users
Note: I've posted a similar message for about three schools!

I am from a major Northeastern city, so I'm not really used to having to worry about being gay or hiding that from anyone. I'm not flamboyant or anything, I just don't like to have to think about it or step back in the closet to make other people happy. However, I'm looking at WVSOM as an option for med school and wondering if anyone has insight into what it is like for LGBT people on campus, and potentially in town (since I'll probably have to go there at some point. ;)? Also, do you think that there would be bias against me if I was open about my sexual orientation on an interview or when talking to faculty? Obviously I wouldn't bring it up out of nowhere, but I have a partner and don't intend to exclude that information if it comes up. Any help, especially from other LGBTQ people would be a major help!

hopefully some 3rd year students, can help me with this question. I understand that his school is mission is for rural medicine, which I am very interested in, but can a third year student do clinicals at both rural and urban areas. My question is their a limitation to where the students can do their rotations? I know it is mostly in wv, but are they all rural. Do this rotation also have residents their? thanks in advance

There are plenty of sites that aren't rural. Check out the WVSOM page for more info.

http://www.wvsom.edu/Academics/swc-sites

Note: I've posted a similar message for about three schools!

I am from a major Northeastern city, so I'm not really used to having to worry about being gay or hiding that from anyone. I'm not flamboyant or anything, I just don't like to have to think about it or step back in the closet to make other people happy. However, I'm looking at WVSOM as an option for med school and wondering if anyone has insight into what it is like for LGBT people on campus, and potentially in town (since I'll probably have to go there at some point. ;)? Also, do you think that there would be bias against me if I was open about my sexual orientation on an interview or when talking to faculty? Obviously I wouldn't bring it up out of nowhere, but I have a partner and don't intend to exclude that information if it comes up. Any help, especially from other LGBTQ people would be a major help!

I really don't think you are going to have a problem at WVSOM. I'm also a member of the LGBT community and everyone I've interacted with both at the school and in town has been pretty great. The school actually just put on an LGBT symposium a couple weeks ago that brought in speakers from different fields to talk about important issues and how to better treat and understand LGBT patients. A lot of the faculty were involved and it was pretty well attended by the students.

Thanks so much for your response. I appreciate the insight. That covers a lot of my concerns!

Reactions: 1 users
Got to WV this afternoon, and literally every person I've encountered today has been warm and friendly. I'm hyped to meet everyone at the interview tomorrow! In the meantime, I just ate breakfast food by myself in Bob Evans Ron Swanson-style and now I'm going to roll around on my hotel bed for hours... BECAUSE I CAN

Got to WV this afternoon, and literally every person I've encountered today has been warm and friendly. I'm hyped to meet everyone at the interview tomorrow! In the meantime, I just ate breakfast food by myself in Bob Evans Ron Swanson-style and now I'm going to roll around on my hotel bed for hours... BECAUSE I CAN
Good luck on the interview! Let me know how it goes!

So I submitted my secondary on 10/17 and on the online portal it shows the secondary and criminal background checklist thing have been completed but none of my letters are noted as complete yet. I have all the letters (DO + 2 science) sent in through AACOMAS or Interfolio. Does anyone know roughly how long it takes admissions to update the letters on their portal?

So I submitted my secondary on 10/17 and on the online portal it shows the secondary and criminal background checklist thing have been completed but none of my letters are noted as complete yet. I have all the letters (DO + 2 science) sent in through AACOMAS or Interfolio. Does anyone know roughly how long it takes admissions to update the letters on their portal?
I have anything from a week to two months. Good Luck!

Does anyone know why their tuition is so high? 300K total for med school is a lot of dough.

Does anyone know why their tuition is so high? 300K total for med school is a lot of dough.
+1...324k for out-of-state students is ridiculous. Would love to go here if an II and acceptance is received but tuition is so high.

I wish I knew some WVSOM grads in primary care who could let me know if there any prospect of recovering from their debt.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take any interview right now, all silences everywhere, but that scares me.

It is high. But most D.O schools are 45-60k tuition alone.

But the interview was pretty awesome. I had fun with it. Other applicants were funny from the get-go and the tension was low. I was impressed with the school and faculty. Tech wise everything is up to date. The town was nice and offers some weekend shenanigans; a few places to get a drink out and outdoors activities. The school seems to be highly regarded by the town, which is a nice bonus.

Last edited:
I wish I knew some WVSOM grads in primary care who could let me know if there any prospect of recovering from their debt.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take any interview right now, all silences everywhere, but that scares me.

I am only an applicant but I know people who paid for their own medical education. You can definitely recover from your debt. Check out AAMC's website, they provide information on many reasonable loan repayment options. Of course, you'll have to be smart with your spending and live under your means. However, even after taxes and monthly loan payments, you'll still be making a decent salary. Ultimately, you have to decide whether medical school is worth it.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I'm a first year med student here at WVSOM. The school is awesome, the faculty is great, and the experience is like no other. If any of you are interested, my stats last year were a 3.8 GPA, 28 MCAT, and 3000+ volunteering hours. Good luck to all of you, and hopefully I'll see you all soon! :)

found the answer to my question.

Last edited by a moderator:
To answer the question about high tuition: Some students here have military scholarships or plan to seek loan repayment programs such as those offered by the National Health Service Corps. There are a few students who have already made deals with rural hospitals. The hospitals are paying their tuition for a certain number of years commitment after residency. So, if you work in a rural hospital/clinic currently, and wouldn't mind returning there, you might consider approaching them to see if there is a deal you can work out. Typically, there's no problem getting government loans to pay for school up to the amount the financial aid department determines each year.

If you are a student from WV, tuition is much less (~$20,000/year), and there are quite a few scholarships available. There's also the rural health initiative program, which I believe helps offset some loans if you get accepted into that program. If you are out of state, you are looking at ~$50,000 tuition a year. There's not as many scholarships available for out of state students. All that being said, if you compare the costs to other medical schools; it's about average.

The WVSOM student government is active in trying to keep the tuition cost from increasing, and the WVSOM Foundation is working to raise more scholarship funds. Within your tuition, you will be provided a laptop when you arrive. There's also a reimbursement for Comlex exam prep materials as you get closer to that. We do full cadaver dissections for anatomy over the course of the first year. We have a relatively new (within the last 4 years) integrated, spiraling curriculum that focuses on clinical presentations. There is a state of the art simulation facility with a huge number of simulator mannequins, so you will be very prepared for clinical 3rd and 4th year and the Comlex level 2-PE (I've heard WVSOM had the best score on this exam last year of all the osteopathic schools). During osteopathic manipulation treatment labs, there is approximately 1 DO to every 8-10 students. The faculty are very approachable and go above and beyond to answer student questions. There are also graduate teaching assistants who offer review sessions in anatomy, clinical skills and osteopathic manipulation treatment courses. There is a beautiful new student center being built right now that should be open in the fall. You are not competing with any other students because WVSOM is strictly a medical school.

In short, I think that we are very much getting our money's worth. I'm a first year student and have really enjoyed the school so far. I interviewed at quite a few places (both DO and MD) and WVSOM really stood out as having a strong sense of community with lots of resources available to aid in success.

In the FAQs it states that letters of recommendation submitted through AACOMAS will only be updated on the checklist after hearing about an interview. My letters were updated on the checklist about a week ago, but I haven't heard back about an interview yet. Does anyone know what this could mean?

Thanks!

Hello all, and good luck to future interviewers! I am officially accepted through the rollover program and will be starting classes in 2016 :soexcited: I am OOS with a 25 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, and 2 yrs of shadowing experience though Scribe America. I'm going to look through the thread more for a FB page or something similar for accepted students since there has been more activity later. Anyone that has any questions or wants help in any way can PM me and I'll try my best to help you!

I stayed at the Super 8 during my interview and highly don't recommend it. I've heard that I was on the complete wrong side of town for getting to know the area and I've heard nothing but good things about Lewisburg!:woot:

How do they let you know you are accepted? Do they mail it?

Hello all, and good luck to future interviewers! I am officially accepted through the rollover program and will be starting classes in 2016 :soexcited: I am OOS with a 25 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, and 2 yrs of shadowing experience though Scribe America. I'm going to look through the thread more for a FB page or something similar for accepted students since there has been more activity later. Anyone that has any questions or wants help in any way can PM me and I'll try my best to help you!

I stayed at the Super 8 during my interview and highly don't recommend it. I've heard that I was on the complete wrong side of town for getting to know the area and I've heard nothing but good things about Lewisburg!:woot:
Congrats! As for Lewisburg, you saw the area with the more modern businesses, Walmart, lowes, all the cell phone providers, Applebee's etc.

Then there is historic downtown which is full of ma and pa stores and a few dinner joints. Del sol, food and friends, and an outdoor gear shop are that way, as well as the public library.

Fairlea is just an extension of Lewisburg, where there is a grocery store and a handful of food places (Burger King, Chinese restaurant, a pizza joint) there is also k-Mart, a gun shop, and car lot that way as well as the fair grounds.

I definitely didn't include all the businesses and food places, but hopefully this helps I've you an idea of what's available!

How do they let you know you are accepted? Do they mail it?
They both mail it as well as updating the online portal status. The online normally is updated first.

Reactions: 1 users
Decision Pending since mid-Sept. Anyone else?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Just was accepted but will be turning it down for a school closer to home! Hope it goes to someone here :)