West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys so I just got an email notification that my letters were uploaded in the portal. Does this mean I might be getting an II?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Either interview or deferred decision. Unfortunately , there are no guarantees.

I just got an updated checklist, and my letters now appear on the checklist.. What does this mean? it was so random lol

It means that your letters were uploaded, it's a part of the application process. ;)

I just got an updated checklist, and my letters now appear on the checklist.. What does this mean? it was so random lol

Means they have come to a decision on whether you have an interview or deferred decision. You will know pretty soon.

recently got a deferred decision :(
Anyone know how often they re-review the applications? I really like this school but not sure what to do since my application is up to date and there's nothing really new for me to add

Giving up my acceptance here.
I loved the school though, Lewisburg is the cutest little city I have ever been to, and the area is just beautiful. Their new activity center is going to be an awesome addition to the school, so I am a bit jealous of people who will attend here hehe.
I hope my seat goes to one of you! Good luck everyone :)

Reactions: 2 users
Where are you going instead Lyana?

Has anyone else submitted their secondary around early-mid September and are still waiting to hear back? Does this school do silent rejections?

Members don't see this ad :)
I Just got an interview invite email, sadly I already have 4 acceptances, and although I liked this school a lot, i dont think i have it in me to interview anywhere else, there are Dec 3,4, and 7 spots available, will be withdrawing my application.

I Just got an interview invite email, sadly I already have 4 acceptances, and although I liked this school a lot, i dont think i have it in me to interview anywhere else, there are Dec 3,4, and 7 spots available, will be withdrawing my application.
I think I will be withdrawing as well after getting an invite this morning too. WVSOM has a big push towards primary care correct? And do you think they have extra research or education opportunities over VCOM-CC? I will be hearing back soon from CUSOM too since I interviewed there yesterday. Just trying to get some info on what others are thinking to see if there a big pro on accepting this II.

I think I will be withdrawing as well after getting an invite this morning too. WVSOM has a big push towards primary care correct? And do you think they have extra research or education opportunities over VCOM-CC? I will be hearing back soon from CUSOM too since I interviewed there yesterday. Just trying to get some info on what others are thinking to see if there a big pro on accepting this II.
I was accepted by CUSOM, VCOM, LECOM, and WVSOM.... if you already feel set on one school, then i would say dont waste your time or money. WVSOM was the last school i interviewed at and the one I am choosing to attend. The other schools were great, but WVSOM made me feel right at home. I personally don't feel a push towards primary care.... I would say that all DO schools have a mission for primary.... however, WVSOM made it clear they don't push in any direction. Ultimately, you choose your destiny.... choose a school with the area and faculty you like. I wouldn't worry about the residency yet, you will be able to match into anything if you do well, regardless of where you attend.

Reactions: 3 users
I was accepted by CUSOM, VCOM, LECOM, and WVSOM.... if you already feel set on one school, then i would say dont waste your time or money. WVSOM was the last school i interviewed at and the one I am choosing to attend. The other schools were great, but WVSOM made me feel right at home. I personally don't feel a push towards primary care.... I would say that all DO schools have a mission for primary.... however, WVSOM made it clear they don't push in any direction. Ultimately, you choose your destiny.... choose a school with the area and faculty you like. I wouldn't worry about the residency yet, you will be able to match into anything if you do well, regardless of where you attend.
Thank you for the post! I too agree that we individually make our own success story regardless of the school we attend. Do you have info on the schools board pass rates and match lists? I am interested in seeing the school averages eventhough I believe in individual success.

If you have the funds, I would interview. If not, then don't. One piece of advice I have for pre-med students is to choose a medical school where you feel you will thrive and feel comfortable. Which community can you see yourself living in for at least 2 years, if not longer. Honestly, you are going to get very similar medical experiences at nearly all medical schools across the nation. Yes, some may have better clinical rotations, more research opportunities, etc. But if you don't feel like living in that community, it will make it hard to focus, to study, to make friends. The reason I chose WVSOM wasn't because of the impeccable facilities or the close knit ties between the faculty and students, but because I felt at home here in Lewisburg. That continues today, I really love it here!

I think most DO schools push primary care, and WVSOM is no exception. I'm personally pursuing emergency medicine, and I don't feel like the curriculum has hindered my ability to do so.

Reactions: 2 users
If you have the funds, I would interview. If not, then don't. One piece of advice I have for pre-med students is to choose a medical school where you feel you will thrive and feel comfortable. Which community can you see yourself living in for at least 2 years, if not longer. Honestly, you are going to get very similar medical experiences at nearly all medical schools across the nation. Yes, some may have better clinical rotations, more research opportunities, etc. But if you don't feel like living in that community, it will make it hard to focus, to study, to make friends. The reason I chose WVSOM wasn't because of the impeccable facilities or the close knit ties between the faculty and students, but because I felt at home here in Lewisburg. That continues today, I really love it here!

I think most DO schools push primary care, and WVSOM is no exception. I'm personally pursuing emergency medicine, and I don't feel like the curriculum has hindered my ability to do so.

Thanks for the input I agree with you that we need to choose a place that feels like home and that in general the education given at schools across the US will be similar. The only dilemma I am running into is that the closest interview dates for WVSOM are December 4,5,&7. A deposit for my other 3 or maybe 4 choices must be complete by December 14th. I am unsure if the decision or acceptance or not for WVSOM will be given before this date to give me enough time to decide on which school I would like to attend and put a deposit down for. At that time I would have already narrowed it down to one school and WVSOM if I find it most attractive at the interview. What would be your suggestion for this?

Thanks for the input I agree with you that we need to choose a place that feels like home and that in general the education given at schools across the US will be similar. The only dilemma I am running into is that the closest interview dates for WVSOM are December 4,5,&7. A deposit for my other 3 or maybe 4 choices must be complete by December 14th. I am unsure if the decision or acceptance or not for WVSOM will be given before this date to give me enough time to decide on which school I would like to attend and put a deposit down for. At that time I would have already narrowed it down to one school and WVSOM if I find it most attractive at the interview. What would be your suggestion for this?
That is difficult to say... my acceptance came within a week... Since its later in the cycle I'm not sure how quick the turn around is. You could always call and ask them how quickly they will notify you of a decision.

If you were interested in WVSOM then you could still go, and decide after if you would be willing to take the loss on accepting one of the other programs, providing they accept you.

Portal update yesterday and II today! I'll be there December 3rd.

That is difficult to say... my acceptance came within a week... Since its later in the cycle I'm not sure how quick the turn around is. You could always call and ask them how quickly they will notify you of a decision.

If you were interested in WVSOM then you could still go, and decide after if you would be willing to take the loss on accepting one of the other programs, providing they accept you.
That is true i could still go Im just still unsure at this point. I want to have my decision made by tonight though. Do you know if this school gives scholarships?

That is true i could still go Im just still unsure at this point. I want to have my decision made by tonight though. Do you know if this school gives scholarships?

Yeah I dont think its really worth going, I am not instate and the tutition is really expensive for Out of State, I have already been accepted at 4 other places, and out of them it is the most expensive. I wish i got this earlier in the cycle, but o well, it makes me feel happy atleast i got an interview;)!

Yeah I dont think its really worth going, I am not instate and the tutition is really expensive for Out of State, I have already been accepted at 4 other places, and out of them it is the most expensive. I wish i got this earlier in the cycle, but o well, it makes me feel happy atleast i got an interview;)!
I was originally going to decline the II (as I have been accepted to an IS school already), however I'm glad I didn't as after the interview I fell in love with the school and area. I'm seriously considering matriculating here! I would strongly recommend attending the interview, you never know. As an OOS student it would be very expensive, but personally I'd rather pay a little extra and be a better physician for it in the future. I think in the end it's go where you think you're the best fit. May not be where you originally thought.

Reactions: 1 users
If your OOS i'm not sure. I do know they have some sort of TA scholarship, if you qualify, that they will pay for some of your tuition. Two years, i was told. But it extends the total time of med school from 4 to 5 years i believe.

If your OOS i'm not sure. I do know they have some sort of TA scholarship, if you qualify, that they will pay for some of your tuition. Two years, i was told. But it extends the total time of med school from 4 to 5 years i believe.
Ah okay. This morning I decided I was more interested in other options I currently have so I gave up my interview. Hoping someone who really wants this school will get!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how long it usually takes to get the status that your letters have been uploaded after submission of secondary? I've been patiently waiting since early October!

I didn't receive a supplemental yet.. its been over week since all the other supplements came in.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes to get the status that your letters have been uploaded after submission of secondary? I've been patiently waiting since early October!
it varies... never hurts to call and ask about your status

I wonder if I'll get an interview. :(

Last edited:
Does anyone know when the health forms are due after acceptance? Is there a set deadline for them?

II today. Seems kind of late? I'd given up lol. Can anyone tell me what to expect?

Anyone interviewing 11/30? Also, how long after interview have people been getting accepted/rejected?

Anyone interviewing 11/30? Also, how long after interview have people been getting accepted/rejected?
They told us 2-4 weeks, but I got my acceptance in the mail in less than a week. :) Good luck with your interview!

Congratulations. When were you done? I am starting to give up as well.
Thanks! I submitted my application in June...supplemental around July I think. I hadn't heard anything from these people until now. This has been a tough cycle (my 2nd), and I'm kind of drained. Interested to see how this goes though. I'd say don't give up. Last cycle I got an interview in April (and got accepted...but that's a long story). I wish you the best.

II today. Seems kind of late? I'd given up lol. Can anyone tell me what to expect?
Interviewing goes on until mid Spring. Wait until the end of May to give up, and then reapply earlier next cycle. One of the mistakes prospective students make is not submitting their packets soon enough. WVSOM gets upwards of six thousand applications a year, and that's a lot of paperwork to slog through. People who apply early (July) will have their paperwork at the top of that pile and are more likely to get an earlier response. That said, people who interview on the last day of interviews still get accepted.

As for what to expect, there will be roughly eight applicants interviewing each day; four in the morning, four in the afternoon. You'll be able to chat with the other interviewees while you wait. The actual interview is a three-on-one, with the applicant being asked questions from one science faculty (PhD), one clinical faculty (DO/MD), and one admissions officer. As interviews go, it is very relaxed. Questions usually come from the information you've provided.

Checklist updated with my letters? Does this mean something good?? Hopefully I'm not getting excited for no reason lol.

EDIT: My letters were sent in the mail and not through AACOMAS. I'm not sure how that affects this process..My portal says "In Process- decision Pending"

Last edited:
Checklist updated with my letters? Does this mean something good?? Hopefully I'm not getting excited for no reason lol.

EDIT: My letters were sent in the mail and not through AACOMAS. I'm not sure how that affects this process..My portal says "In Process- decision Pending"

When were you complete?

When were you complete?

My secondary was sent in Nov. 4 but my letters were sent in a packet through snail mail on the 6th. I think it takes around 5 business days from Ohio to get to WV. Got the checklist update this morning!

Edit: secondary was received Nov. 2

Its been over 2 weeks since my primary has been verified and I have no received a secondary. Should I contact them?