West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted all of the forms and the app fee but forgot to reply to the email. I didn't notice until reviewing the email this evening. I hope I am still able to interview tomorrow :(

:wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

I've been logging in and checking multiple times throughout the day just to make sure it wasn't a mistake. I absolutely fell in love with WVSOM during my interview day. The campus, the students, the staff, everything about this school is amazing. Absolutely elated!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I've been logging in and checking multiple times throughout the day just to make sure it wasn't a mistake. I absolutely fell in love with WVSOM during my interview day. The campus, the students, the staff, everything about this school is amazing. Absolutely elated!! :soexcited:
I was accepted this week as well. Does anyone know how long it takes to get the notice via snail mail?

Did you interview the 25th? I can't wait to start!!! This school just felt right and I am so happy to get to be here!

Reactions: 1 user
Just finished interviewing today. What a great school with genuinely nice people. They all made me feel very relaxed. Great experience : ) Anyone in town be sure to try out Food and Friends, just a couple miles away from the school!

Reactions: 1 users
Did you interview the 25th? I can't wait to start!!! This school just felt right and I am so happy to get to be here!

No, I actually interviewed the week before. But I share that sentiment, this school definitely felt like home. :love:
I didn't want to leave when the interview day was over!!

Congrats to everyone accepted! There's a class page on Facebook! WVSOM Class of 2020!

Accepted last Tuesday and put the deposit down!! Interviewed on Jan. 21st with a great group of people.

How's is everyone's housing search going?

Hi everyone!

Does anybody know how full WVSOM is at the moment?
Meaning, will future interviewees be mainly fighting for a waitlist spot or not?

Really interested in this school, but I just hope that chances aren't too low at this point in the cycle. Thanks!

Accepted last Tuesday and put the deposit down!! Interviewed on Jan. 21st with a great group of people.

How's is everyone's housing search going?
join the fb group.. options are being posted

Hi everyone!

Does anybody know how full WVSOM is at the moment?
Meaning, will future interviewees be mainly fighting for a waitlist spot or not?

Really interested in this school, but I just hope that chances aren't too low at this point in the cycle. Thanks!

I don't believe that they tell anyone how full the class is. However, at the end of the interview day, they told us that they make sure to keep spots in the class open for late interviewees, as well. In other words, I don't believe that you'll ever be strictly interviewing for a waitlist spot.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
join the fb group.. options are being posted

How many people are in the group, if you don't mind me asking? I'm not on facebook, but I'm worried that it might be too difficult to find housing without it.

How many people are in the group, if you don't mind me asking? I'm not on facebook, but I'm worried that it might be too difficult to find housing without it.
school website also has a list with all the housing options.

over 200. its an easy way to find possible roommates as well

over 200. its an easy way to find possible roommates as well

As a student, I recommend making a Facebook just to join the group. If you don't get any use out of it, you can always delete the account. On my class' Facebook group, we posted valuable information about housing, roommates, and even exam prep stuff. We have someone in our class who makes summaries of lectures and posts them on Facebook. Give it a shot.

Where are my Monday interview people!!!!??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know when the first day of school starts this year?

@CSant2525 @kecr1040 Good luck today! The entire staff and students are very welcoming. I hope you both have as wonderful of an experience as I did! Let us know how it goes!

As a student, I recommend making a Facebook just to join the group. If you don't get any use out of it, you can always delete the account. On my class' Facebook group, we posted valuable information about housing, roommates, and even exam prep stuff. We have someone in our class who makes summaries of lectures and posts them on Facebook. Give it a shot.

Yeah, I probably will make it just for that purpose. Thanks for the heads up!

Can someone please comment more on the OOS cost at WVSOM?
I'm interested in this school, but I'm still contemplating not attending my ii.

I here a lot of good things about this school, but I also keep hearing that (almost) an extra 100k cost is definitely not worth it (compared to some).
I understand that the scholarship values are much higher, but then again not everyone get those and there are restrictions. So, how are OOS students handling the loan payback and stuff?

Thanks!

Go to a school where you feel you will succeed and grow as a person. If you go to a school you don't like because it was cheaper, you will have a hard time studying, adjusting, making friends, etc.

If you honestly like two schools equally, go to the cheaper school. I'm a firm believer that you will get a good education no matter where you go. However, if it's between a new school and an established school, I would choose the established school. Newer schools may have issues with rotations, their curriculum, etc. That was the reason I chose WVSOM. No regrets so far.

I'm OOS, and the debt isn't a big deal for me. I live frugally and don't spend my loan money, that's about all I can do. PM me if you have any other questions, I'm happy to answer them.

I interviewed here today and loved it! Hoping to hear something soon from them..

I canceled my interview for 2/18.

WVSOM seems like an amazing program, good luck to everyone interviewing!

Question: I've been scouring the WVSOM website for info about clinical rotations during 3rd & 4th year and it pretty much says you need to complete rotations at a statewide campus site, which is fine BUT during my interview I talked to a student who was talking about hoping to get a rotation in Ohio or New York.

Are there more clinical rotation sites than the website is letting on? My interview was on rotation match day or something like that so hopefully that student wasn't horribly confused and knew what she was talking about...

Anyone have info on this?

Question: I've been scouring the WVSOM website for info about clinical rotations during 3rd & 4th year and it pretty much says you need to complete rotations at a statewide campus site, which is fine BUT during my interview I talked to a student who was talking about hoping to get a rotation in Ohio or New York.

Are there more clinical rotation sites than the website is letting on? My interview was on rotation match day or something like that so hopefully that student wasn't horribly confused and knew what she was talking about...

There is a site in Ohio which is part of one of the statewide campus regions. As far as NY, I could not find anything in the student handbook or on the website, but I was also told by one of the current second years that it is an option. Hopefully some current students will be able to provide more information.

Nope they are there, but the campus map doesn't plot it outside the map. So for example, if you go to the statewide campus map (link below) and you click on "Eastern Region," scroll down a bit to the list of "base hospitals," and you will see Southampton Hospital, which is in New York.

There are a few hospitals that are outside of West Virginia, but they correlate them to the closest region in WV. Another example is Frederick Hospital is actually in Maryland, but it's grouped in the "Eastern Region" part of statewide campus.

There are a few others, I myself am going to Ashland, KY, which is clumped in the "South West Region." Hope that helps.

http://www.wvsom.edu/Academics/swc-sites

Nope they are there, but the campus map doesn't plot it outside the map. So for example, if you go to the statewide campus map (link below) and you click on "Eastern Region," scroll down a bit to the list of "base hospitals," and you will see Southampton Hospital, which is in New York.

There are a few hospitals that are outside of West Virginia, but they correlate them to the closest region in WV. Another example is Frederick Hospital is actually in Maryland, but it's grouped in the "Eastern Region" part of statewide campus.

There are a few others, I myself am going to Ashland, KY, which is clumped in the "South West Region." Hope that helps.

http://www.wvsom.edu/Academics/swc-sites

That helps a lot! Thank you so much!

@Tri4thlete Quick question: The rotation picking is a lottery system right? So I would put my top three in and more than likely get one of those?

@Tri4thlete Quick question: The rotation picking is a lottery system right? So I would put my top three in and more than likely get one of those?
I am a first year and haven't done the lottery yet, but if I understand correctly:

Everyone decides the ONE place they want to be. There are a set amount of spots at each rotation site. If there are more people that want that site then there are seats, you can work it out among the students (if anyone is willing to change). If nobody is willing to budge they draw names. If your name is not picked then you have to scramble for the left over sites that didn't get filled up (you cannot try to get in on another full site to participate in the lottery).

That being said, they do a practice session prior to the actual where everyone can get a feel for how it will go down. I'm sure a lot of the fence-sitters work it out then.

Does anyone know when the first day of school starts this year?
When I called admissions, they said July 25 BUT that the official calendar had not been released so they were guessing. Orientation would be the week before. ;)

What MountainDO said is correct. I will just add a few things.

The general strategy is NOT to pick your top 3 places you want to go. You will get a feel for where people want to go as second year progresses. If your top 3 places also happen to be the most desired, then that strategy isn't going to work. What I did is pick one place that I want to go the most, then 2 other places that were not likely to fill up that I would also not mind going to.

On site selection night, they conduct the selection in rounds. So, round 1 everyone puts their name up under the site they want. After time is up, they take down ALL the sites that are exactly full. So, that's why if your second and third choices were fairly popular, they may get taken down so now you have no back up sites. Everything that is overflowing, they draw names and the first X amount of names get to stay with the site, and the people who didn't get called have to scramble to a site that IS NOT FILLED.
They do the same thing again and keep going until everyone has a site. The chance is really low, but you may get bounced out 2 or 3 times to a site that you may not exactly want. I personally think it's better to choose a site initially that you like, but isn't extremely popular, that way you are basically guaranteed a site that you like, although it may not be your FAVORITE site.

There is no reason to fret about this right now, you will figure it out as you go. In all honesty, all of the sites will give you a great education, just some may be in an area that you personally don't like, and that's all personal opinion. I'm going to Ashland, KY this year, and it wasn't a popular site because most people from our class live near D.C, Pennsylvania, or other places on the east coast. I actually really like the area so it's a win win for me.

Here is a short video that gives you a rough idea on what site selection is roughly about:

Reactions: 2 users
Just got offered an interview here!!

Any idea when people who were decision deferred post interview hear if they were accepted or rejected?

Any idea when people who were decision deferred post interview hear if they were accepted or rejected?
that is a weird category to be in and I was told during the interview that that doesn't happen a lot and if you are that means you are missing something. Are you missing something, like a science class or some other thing? Correct me if I am wrong on this....

that is a weird category to be in and I was told during the interview that that doesn't happen a lot and if you are that means you are missing something. Are you missing something, like a science class or some other thing? Correct me if I am wrong on this....
No, I'm not missing anything. Besides having an MCAT on the low side I can't think of a single thing. Maybe I should call and ask about it.

For those who have been accepted, I'm assuming that it's been posted on your applicant portal first? Am I correct in thinking this?

Portal changed! Interviewed on 2/8. While I believe I will be attending ACOM. This school was amazing and everyone here was incredibly nice.
Good luck to you all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So there's still hope...were you deferred initially?
no i wasn't actually. My recs were added to my profile yesterday then the invite came by email a few hours later

No, I'm not missing anything. Besides having an MCAT on the low side I can't think of a single thing. Maybe I should call and ask about it.
Did you mark on your application that you are retaking the MCAT? I was decision deferred until my new MCAT score came back and I gave the updated score to the school.

Did you mark on your application that you are retaking the MCAT? I was decision deferred until my new MCAT score came back and I gave the updated score to the school.
No I didnt. I emailed them yesterday and they said I was on hold status,and they would email me when my status is updated. I imagine this is somewhat like a wait list. Hopefully it's updated sooner rather than later though.

Hey guys, do any of you 2nd year students happen to know what type of computer will be given to this year's incoming class? I hear Surface Pro? Or Lenovo?

It changes every year or two. I'm a second year, and we have Dell Latitude laptops. The current first years have Lenovo Thinkpad tablets. I hear the next incoming class will get either iPads or Surface Pro 4's. I don't think they decide until the summer as to which ones they order. They do a good job of getting good specs in the laptop/tablet regardless of which one you get (our laptops have i7's).

Hey guys, do any of you 2nd year students happen to know what type of computer will be given to this year's incoming class? I hear Surface Pro? Or Lenovo?
I know they were having students test out several options and getting feedback. One of the options was the Lenovo we currently have (which are awesome). You can always call the IT department at the school and ask if they have made a decision. That's what I did and they were more than willing to give specs

Interviewed this morning (just got home :yawn:). Awesome school and environment and amazing people including faculty and students! I would absolutely love it there Although I must say after they told us we were interviewing for alternate status it kinda was a buzzkill. But smart move on their part telling us AFTER the interview :whistle:.

Oh well, come on waitlist movement!

What is the likelihood of changes if I was decision deferred early on, I'd say months ago at this point...anyone else in this boat?