West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is the likelihood of changes if I was decision deferred early on, I'd say months ago at this point...anyone else in this boat?

pre-interview hold in November; called earlier this month, was told nothing I can do

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed this morning (just got home :yawn:). Awesome school and environment and amazing people including faculty and students! I would absolutely love it there Although I must say after they told us we were interviewing for alternate status it kinda was a buzzkill. But smart move on their part telling us AFTER the interview :whistle:.

Oh well, come on waitlist movement!

Big deposit deadline coming up soon, so there probably will be waitlist movement. Best of luck!

Interviewed this morning (just got home :yawn:). Awesome school and environment and amazing people including faculty and students! I would absolutely love it there Although I must say after they told us we were interviewing for alternate status it kinda was a buzzkill. But smart move on their part telling us AFTER the interview :whistle:.

yeah they did the same thing at my interview last year. But i ended up getting taken off the waitlist a week before class started! i turned it down but accepted admission for the following term (this year). They pretty much always give the waitlisted applicants guaranteed admission for the next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a few questions for anyone who may be able to answer!
1) Does anyone happen to know the number of people the school places on the Alternate List and the % of people who eventually get accepted off the list?
2) When does the school typically start placing people on to the Alternate List (I know it will vary year-by-year depending on when the class is full, but a ball park estimate?), and does it matter if you are on their earlier vs. later?
3) Also, is there any chance of being rejected/denied acceptance when you're on the Alternate List aside from potentially not having a rollover acceptance to the following year?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
yeah they did the same thing at my interview last year. But i ended up getting taken off the waitlist a week before class started! i turned it down but accepted admission for the following term (this year). They pretty much always give the waitlisted applicants guaranteed admission for the next year.
If you get wait listed and then offered a position for next year, do you have to pay the deposit this year, or next?

Sent from my XT1030 using SDN mobile app

Is a post interview decision differed the same thing as wait list/ Alternate list or is there a seperate status for that?

I actually spoke with someone at the admissions office last week who explained that Decision Deferred means they have yet to make a decision about you vs. alternate list which is you being accepted if they had the space (same as wait list. Decision deferred is not the same as alternate.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hey guys! So I was complete way back in early September and by November I was still on decision pending. So I called the admissions office and I was told that I should hear back soon. One month later in December and I'm still on decision pending so I email one of the admission officers and I was told that I should here back soon. Fast forward another month later in January and I'm still on decision pending so I send in a letter of interest because I'm still serious about going to this school. This time I was told that my application was directly forwarded to the admissions committee and that I should here back soon but I didn't hear anything since. Now...fast forward to today and I get an email saying that my recommendations and committee letters have been uploaded to my application portal. So my question is should this be considered a good sign for an II? Or did this happen to everyone before they heard if they were getting a II or deferred? I know that I'd be interviewing for a waitlist and all but I'm more than willing to take it lol

Reactions: 1 user
You're getting an II. You'll definitely be interviewing for a waitlist spot though. If you're okay with that then go on and kill it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I have a question. I've been complete since August. My MCAT scores are pretty low, and I was told the withdraws during my sophomore year were a concern, to which I replied with my reasoning (wasn't for sure about career path at that time and parent's divorce/financial strain). I sent an email update directly to admissions the other day about a recent medical missions trip I took, and I was sent this as a part of the email:

Be sure to report any official updates or changes directly to AACOMAS. We do have electronic access to the details. I’m confident your application will be given serious consideration.

Should I send in a letter of interest at this point? This school was among the top two I applied to, and I would personally LOVE to attend the school and live in that area. It doesn't matter to me what year I would be looking at.

Thanks.

Hey guys, I have a question. I've been complete since August. My MCAT scores are pretty low, and I was told the withdraws during my sophomore year were a concern, to which I replied with my reasoning (wasn't for sure about career path at that time and parent's divorce/financial strain). I sent an email update directly to admissions the other day about a recent medical missions trip I took, and I was sent this as a part of the email:

Be sure to report any official updates or changes directly to AACOMAS. We do have electronic access to the details. I’m confident your application will be given serious consideration.

Should I send in a letter of interest at this point? This school was among the top two I applied to, and I would personally LOVE to attend the school and live in that area. It doesn't matter to me what year I would be looking at.

Thanks.

Sure, letters of intent never hurt. However, with a low MCAT and several withdrawals, you may need to look ahead and see how you can rebuild for next year. Start with studying to get a solid MCAT score.

Don't sweat it, there will still be movement

Thanks.
Spend a couple days racking up some serious shadowing hrs and volunteering (as long as the doctors will let you stay! And take off work for a day or two if needed) then send in a letter of intent along with all the new volunteering and shadowing. It shows them you are still working hard and interested enough in the career path to do something about it (you don't need to put the dates for shadowing/volunteering either, just how many hours and what you did). Just don't wait too long, time is short... I litterally mean two or three days (even if it's only an additional 20 hrs...) Good luck!

Spend a couple days racking up some serious shadowing hrs and volunteering (as long as the doctors will let you stay! And take off work for a day or two if needed) then send in a letter of intent along with all the new volunteering and shadowing. It shows them you are still working hard and interested enough in the career path to do something about it (you don't need to put the dates for shadowing/volunteering either, just how many hours and what you did). Just don't wait too long, time is short... I litterally mean two or three days (even if it's only an additional 20 hrs...) Good luck!

Thank you! I have a lot of volunteering already, I work in a hospital as a lab tech, and I'm a board member for a volunteer organization, in addition to having taken 3 medical missions trips, though.

I withdrew my acceptance 2 weeks ago. I hope one of you got/gets it =)

Yup so I got an II. Anyone who's already interviewed or any current students care to comment on how the interview was like? What exactly do the SAE's entail? I've had one interview before at a different school but they didn't have an SAE portion so I'm kinda worried about that part of the interview for WVUSOM.

We can't talk about the SAEs at all. Just be yourself and take it easy. There's nothing you need to study or learn in order to do well.

Hey guys! So I was complete way back in early September and by November I was still on decision pending. So I called the admissions office and I was told that I should hear back soon. One month later in December and I'm still on decision pending so I email one of the admission officers and I was told that I should here back soon. Fast forward another month later in January and I'm still on decision pending so I send in a letter of interest because I'm still serious about going to this school. This time I was told that my application was directly forwarded to the admissions committee and that I should here back soon but I didn't hear anything since. Now...fast forward to today and I get an email saying that my recommendations and committee letters have been uploaded to my application portal. So my question is should this be considered a good sign for an II? Or did this happen to everyone before they heard if they were getting a II or deferred? I know that I'd be interviewing for a waitlist and all but I'm more than willing to take it lol

Did you send in an actual letter or an email?

Just got my first II this cycle from this school this past week! Super excited but also super nervous. I applied pretty late (December) with not so killer stats but great EC's (osteopathic exposure and clinical exposure). I, however, do not have any rural medicine exposure and I'm wondering if that will hinder my chances at this school despite them offering an interview. Also, I read that the interviews are for the waitlisted spot, but shouldn't they tell us that beforehand? Just want some insight. Thanks y'all!

Just got my first II this cycle from this school this past week! Super excited but also super nervous. I applied pretty late (December) with not so killer stats but great EC's (osteopathic exposure and clinical exposure). I, however, do not have any rural medicine exposure and I'm wondering if that will hinder my chances at this school despite them offering an interview. Also, I read that the interviews are for the waitlisted spot, but shouldn't they tell us that beforehand? Just want some insight. Thanks y'all!

If you are serious about an acceptance this year, then go for the interview. People have been accepted as late as JULY (few weeks before class starts) at WVSOM. You're correct in thinking that it's probably for a waitlist spot, but you won't have any chance at acceptance if you don't interview.

Having some sort of rural exposure/background helps at WVSOM (in my opinion), but I don't think it will hinder you if you don't have much rural experience.

If you get wait listed and then offered a position for next year, do you have to pay the deposit this year, or next?

Sent from my XT1030 using SDN mobile app
They offered me admission last July and I had until October 15th to make a decision and pay the deposit. it was $3,000

How long does it usually take after an interview to hear?
My portal updated 1.5 weeks after my interview, if this helps! Kim, who hosted my interview group, said that the committees meet on Tuesdays so that may be a good day to look.

Does anyone know how long it typically takes for emails or letters to come out after the portal has been updated? I was placed on the alternate list, but have not heard anything yet. It's been about a week. Thanks!

Would any current students care to comment on why they chose WVSOM for med school? What did you like about WVSOM that you didn't see in other schools? Their international studies programs really sticks out to me because I have been on a mission trip before and really enjoyed my time in it, anyone in the international studies program right now who can comment on how they like it?

Would any current students care to comment on why they chose WVSOM for med school? What did you like about WVSOM that you didn't see in other schools? Their international studies programs really sticks out to me because I have been on a mission trip before and really enjoyed my time in it, anyone in the international studies program right now who can comment on how they like it?

I'm not involved in international rotations or anything, but we have plenty of students that are dedicated to that stuff. We have a club on campus that deals with international rotations so if you are interested in that, WVSOM has a great culture for it.

I chose WVSOM because that is where I personally felt like I had the best chance to grow both as a student doctor and as a person. If you have interviewed at multiple schools, choose the one where you can see yourself living for 2 years. Each and every medical school will give you the tools to succeed, but if you don't like the environment you live in, it will be very difficult. Example, some people can't stand living in a small town. I personally love it, and Lewisburg is an amazing little town. WVSOM is ONLY a medical school, they don't have any PA programs, nursing programs, undergraduate programs, etc. As a result, they pay full attention to the students and tend to their needs. They really want us to succeed and they work close with us to make sure everybody is happy.

With that said, there are definitely some things WVSOM can work on, as with EVERY medical school in the nation. But overall, I'm a happy student and look forward to crushing boards in the next 2 months :)

Decision deferred POST INTERVIEW... Anyone have input on this? As in what are my chances given that and when should I expect the next change in status.

Hey everyone, just thought I'd drop some info for those who do not already know.
There is a deposit deadline coming up March 15th so there may be movement around that time. The admissions committee will review the alternate list again and pull people off so it's not based on the time you got placed on the list.
You may not receive an email/letter regarding alternate list status, but you will have an updated portal and/or a phone call when your status changes (if I understood correctly from my chat with admissions).
As an alternate, any updates may not make a difference in your application since you have already been reviewed and decided upon, but you may still email them to your admissions counselor.
Hope this helps!

Decision deferred POST INTERVIEW... Anyone have input on this? As in what are my chances given that and when should I expect the next change in status.
I have been decision deferred post interview since November. Not entirely sure what to think at this point, but I'm hoping for a status change coming up.

Reactions: 1 users
I have been decision deferred pre-interview since August :(

Does anyone know the start date for our class? When is orientation and when is the first day of class? I can't seem to find it online anywhere...

Does anyone know the start date for our class? When is orientation and when is the first day of class? I can't seem to find it online anywhere...

They will send it to you, but orientation is usually the last week in July with classes starting the following week.

I sent them an email.

Would you say it is too late to send a letter of interest at this point? I already composed one, but I also don't want to bother them either. I just really love this school, and the area would be a great fit for me and my husband.

Would you say it is too late to send a letter of interest at this point? I already composed one, but I also don't want to bother them either. I just really love this school, and the area would be a great fit for me and my husband.
It is never too late to let them know you are still interested. In fact, March 15 the second deposit is due, so there will be a lot of people who were on the edge that may choose a different school and leave open seats. Now is a perfect time. Good luck! P.S. I was accepted last year just after March 15th! There is still hope, don't give up!

It is never too late to let them know you are still interested. In fact, March 15 the second deposit is due, so there will be a lot of people who were on the edge that may choose a different school and leave open seats. Now is a perfect time. Good luck! P.S. I was accepted last year just after March 15th! There is still hope, don't give up!
Well thank you for your positivity, I deeply appreciate that. However, I haven't been invited for an interview either, does that make a difference? Also, congratulations; that had to had been exciting when you received the news!

Can anyone chime in on how much and often the alternate list moves? Numerically speaking, about how many off the alternate list get in?

Go ahead and send it, you got nothing to lose lol. You might think that it comes across as annoying but tbh i feel like it makes you look good because you're taking initiative and showing interest in the school. Just know that if you are interviewing you'll be interviewing for an alternate list spot.

Can anyone chime in on how much and often the alternate list moves? Numerically speaking, about how many off the alternate list get in?

I'd be very interested in knowing the answer to this as well.

You can call the addmissions office and they can answer your statistics questions. They are super nice and will tell you the answer if there is one to be found. As far as the alternate list, this school basically uses the alternate list as students they wanted to admit but didn't have room for. They often offer those off the alternate list a spot in the next years class if they don't get in to this class (I am not sure if they always do, but it does happen).

Go ahead and send it, you got nothing to lose lol. You might think that it comes across as annoying but tbh i feel like it makes you look good because you're taking initiative and showing interest in the school. Just know that if you are interviewing you'll be interviewing for an alternate list spot.
Totally fine with waiting a year lol. Congrats btw!

Got placed on the Alternative List. Really curious as to how likely the list moves and if it's true that people on the Alt. List have a spot for next year.

Does anyone have any thoughts to share about movement on the post interview decision deferred list? Grasping at straws and really hoping for something

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app