West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What faculty/staff dashboard link? Im curious what if anything that meant

It recently disappeared off of my dash, but the link never worked or led anywhere to my knowledge.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If one is on the alternate list how do they know? Does their portal say this or do they get an email from admissions specifying this particular status?

Does anyone know what the new Student Center will be used for?
Top floor will have open floor space for studying. There is going to be a food area, not sure on details. The book store is moving from the old building into the student center. Beyond that I'm not sure. I haven't heard anything about a testing center, but it wouldn't suprise me if they move the offices used to make up tests there (normal testing is administered in the regular classrooms)

Reactions: 1 user
Top floor will have open floor space for studying. There is going to be a food area, not sure on details. The book store is moving from the old building into the student center. Beyond that I'm not sure. I haven't heard anything about a testing center, but it wouldn't suprise me if they move the offices used to make up tests there (normal testing is administered in the regular classrooms)
I was told at an open house that part of it would be a testing center

On the sheet they gave us after the interview it says the portal can say one of three things-denied accepted or deferred. So if one is on an alternate list their portal says "alternate" ?

On the sheet they gave us after the interview it says the portal can say one of three things-denied accepted or deferred. So if one is on an alternate list their portal says "alternate" ?
Yes that is correct. WVSOMs alternate basically means that academically and intrapersonally you meet their desired traits and attributes for a candidate that they full based on the deposits they have. If a spot opens you may be given a seat.

There is movement from the alternate list. My portal was updated yesterday and was moved from "alternate list" to "accept applicant"

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the new Student Center will be used for?

I was told that there would also be a Panera Bread inside!!! Lol. There will also be study rooms & a 1000 seat auditorium. I'm not sure what else will be included beyond that, though.

Officially Accepted today!!!! Interviewed 2/29.

Reactions: 4 users
Here are the details for the new student center. It was in the WVSOM magazine they gave to the students today. Enjoy!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Has anyone on the decision deferred list heard anything?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Can any one point me in the direction of the 2016 match list for wvsom? I'm having a hard time finding it!

Thanks!

Anyone know how long it usually takes to receive your WVSOM email after submitting your second deposit?

I was talking to them a couple weeks ago, they decided on a Dell Latitude. Not sure which exact model, but it should be nice. Even though I hate Dell, their Latitude series is really nice:
http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/latitude-laptops

UGH. I really love this school, but man dell is not known for its build quality. (If you couldn't tell, I hate dell too).

The latitude series is pretty diverse and without a specific model number it could be anything from a lowend laptop to something okay. A bunch of them come with only 4GB of RAM too. Eek. Oh well.

Hello,
Does anyone know if WVSOM limits the students to wearing a specific scrub color? Or are we free to get any color in scrubs?

Hello,
Does anyone know if WVSOM limits the students to wearing a specific scrub color? Or are we free to get any color in scrubs?

Everyone has to wear green. KIDDING, you can wear whatever scrubs you want. Plenty of people with multi-colored and super hero scrubs in my class.

Anyword on alternate movement? Or should We give up now? Or is it too early? Curious what everyone is thinking that is on the alternate list...

Anyword on alternate movement? Or should We give up now? Or is it too early? Curious what everyone is thinking that is on the alternate list...

It's pretty late to be relying on an acceptance at this point. With that said, people have been accepted as late as a few days before the start of class at WVSOM.... Right now I would be preparing your application to apply for next cycle. The NUMBER ONE thing you can do to increase your chance of acceptance is apply early. Apply literally the day the cycle opens. If you get an acceptance for this cycle in June/July, awesome. If not, you will be prepared.

^Thanks for the input and advice!
I've been told that most movement happen around May/June, so gonna stay optimistic and hopeful.

It's pretty late to be relying on an acceptance at this point. With that said, people have been accepted as late as a few days before the start of class at WVSOM.... Right now I would be preparing your application to apply for next cycle. The NUMBER ONE thing you can do to increase your chance of acceptance is apply early. Apply literally the day the cycle opens. If you get an acceptance for this cycle in June/July, awesome. If not, you will be prepared.

I applied this cycle much earlier than last year, and got 6 interviews as opposed to only 1 last year (got waitlisted last year too).

If I didn't have an acceptance in hand, I would start getting my stuff ready for next cycle just to be safe.

Last edited:
Just checked my portal and have been accepted!!! I'm shaking right now, hahaha... but there's movement so everyone keep a look out!

Interviewed 2/12/16 and OOS

Last edited:
Just checked my portal and have been accepted!!! I'm shaking right now, hahaha... but there's movement so everyone keep a look out!
Congratulations! Were you on the wait list or decision deferred?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Just got ACCEPTED off the Alternate List!!!!! Thank God, its been a journey!

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks!!! I interviewed on 2/29
I interviewed 2/29 too and got accepted as well! I really liked everyone in my interview group so I look forward to seeing you again in July! (assuming you decide to go to WVSOM)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, does anyone know if there is a site or group for accepted students to find potential roommates for next year? Going to be coming from out of state and don't know any other students.

ACCEPTED!!!!!! WOOHOOOOO!! CANT BELIEVE IT.....OOS, just had my portal updated.....so excited.......was placed on alternate list earlier....don't loose hope, I think movement is just beginning....

ACCEPTED!!!!!! WOOHOOOOO!! CANT BELIEVE IT.....OOS, just had my portal updated.....so excited.......was placed on alternate list earlier....don't loose hope, I think movement is just beginning....
Congrats! really happy for you. See ya in july