West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know approximately what percentage of the people who get secondaries get interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
what is the earliest interview date?? obviously you dont know the earliest but im just wondering if they start early sept, mid sept, etc
I know there are some the second week of sept

Just submitted my secondary but still waiting on my DO LoR. I called the doctor that I shadowed this morning but I am having a hard time getting in touch with him. It's been a month since he said that he would write me a letter. Hopefully I hear back from him soon because I would love to interview here.

Don't worry, Im going through the same thing. It really is a hoop to jump through

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I can only assume that they start interviewing mid September.

Interviewing September 14th! First interview of the season, so really nervous and excited! Will probably have to make the 9 hour drive as plane doesnt seem convenient.
OOS, 26 MCAT, 3.7 gpa

Does anyone know their interview acceptance rate?

How long does it usually take to get verified after you submit your primary app?

How long does it usually take to get verified after you submit your primary app?
not dependent on school. thats dependent on AACOMAS. Id say 1-4 weeks. Its hard to say. I submitted in june...took a week. Later in cycle takes longer so i hear

"Decision Deferred: "Decision Deferred" status indicates a hold status while your application is being reviewed and until a final decision is made, i.e. our office may wish to wait for fall grades or require updated MCAT scores before making a final decision."

aka, purgatory.

"Decision Deferred: "Decision Deferred" status indicates a hold status while your application is being reviewed and until a final decision is made, i.e. our office may wish to wait for fall grades or require updated MCAT scores before making a final decision."

aka, purgatory.

What's strange for me anyway is that I have no pending grades, MCAT, or letters of rec and my app was marked decision deferred prior to even completing the secondary. My status has yet to change since submission however.

how long after submitting is it taking for people to get decisions? I have been complete for a week and still have decision pending and I feel as though most people have already received ii or deferred status

Secondary Submitted finally. Accidentally submitted without photo...Oh Well

What's strange for me anyway is that I have no pending grades, MCAT, or letters of rec and my app was marked decision deferred prior to even completing the secondary. My status has yet to change since submission however.

My take on it is that they thought you were good but not good enough to interview yet. They want to interview people that are better but don't want to close the possibility of inviting you later for an interview if they run out of better people to invite. I use the word better as what they think of you not what you necessarily are. I got the same response from AZCOM and I'm almost certain in my case it's because my application is great and competitive in every way with the one exception of my ugGPA. So we wait...

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take for people's letters to show up in the checklist after they submit their application? I submit my secondary on 8/18 abd my letters through AACOMAS, but nothing has shown up in the checklist yet :(

How long did it take for people's letters to show up in the checklist after they submit their application? I submit my secondary on 8/18 abd my letters through AACOMAS, but nothing has shown up in the checklist yet :(

When you submitted your secondary they sent you an email. In the email it said:

"Note: We have access to any letters of recommendation that were sent to Interfolio or Virtual Eval, even though they may not yet show on your checklist (application summary). We will update your checklist accordingly prior to a scheduled and confirmed interview."

Mine were updated after the interview was scheduled.

When you submitted your secondary they sent you an email. In the email it said:

"Note: We have access to any letters of recommendation that were sent to Interfolio or Virtual Eval, even though they may not yet show on your checklist (application summary). We will update your checklist accordingly prior to a scheduled and confirmed interview."

well yeah I got that email, but it made no mention of AACOMAS submit LORs. Someone mentioned they emailed admissions, and admissions stated they had access to them. I'm just wondering if others still aren't updated one week later

how long after submitting is it taking for people to get decisions? I have been complete for a week and still have decision pending and I feel as though most people have already received ii or deferred status

I submitted my application last night including my LOR's via interfolio. I got an email saying my letters were added to my checklist this morning. I got an interview invite several hours later. Didn't even know such a quick turnaround was possible. Very happy about the II though. Especially when I get nothing but silence from other schools for 1-2 months.

I'm starting to realize this application process isn't as black and white as I initially thought. I don't feel that schools review applications in a truly rolling basis, or anything close to it for that matter.

Got my first ii today!! Excited and nervous!

Reactions: 1 users
Got my first ii today!! Excited and nervous!

Congrats! Don't be nervous! Enjoy the experience. WVSOM does a SUPERB job of making everyone feel comfortable on interview day. The interview is relaxed and they really want to get to know you as a person. Being an good fit for the school and community is a big part of what they are looking for, so just be yourself!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! Don't be nervous! Enjoy the experience. WVSOM does a SUPERB job of making everyone feel comfortable on interview day. The interview is relaxed and they really want to get to know you as a person. Being an good fit for the school and community is a big part of what they are looking for, so just be yourself!
This makes me feel better, and makes me even more excited about this school:banana:
Any other interview tips, except being yourself hehe?
Do they ask many ethical questions, or is it more why medicine, why DO, tell me about your favorite book kinda questions?

Absolute best tip I can provide is to know your application like the back of your hand. If you have any red flags, I'm sure they will ask you about them (ex: why you withdrew from a class, etc.). They will also ask you about other aspects such as how you liked XYZ volunteer experience, etc. This is more of a general tip for med school interviewing, as I got asked many questions straight from my application. During my interview, I didn't get any curve balls.

Interview at WVSOM is not really an interview per se... They want to make sure that you are not dingus and you can relate to others... It's probably one of the reasons they offer a spot for the next class to everyone on waitlist at the end of the cycle... Great school with a staff that really seem to care!

+1 for purgatory
at least we didn't have to pay for the secondary

Reactions: 4 users
For those who have an interview coming up (and for those who will soon but are still waiting!) I am a current student and this school is amazing! The interview process is pretty laid back. We had a panel interview with a few of the faculty members (really relaxed get to know you feel), a tour of the campus, and some short patient clinical encounters (practice for what you will do as a student!) where essentially you role play (not really anything you need to stress about, just enjoy and relax).

As for the school, I am very glad I chose to come to WVSOM (pronounced WV - s - o - m, not WV - som). The faculty is incredible. When you interview you will get a good taste of how friendly everyone is (and yes it is sincere). This school has a great integrative curriculum (meaning the classes overlap on topic and subject matter). There is plenty to get involved in both clubs and in the community. My classmates are always reaching out to help one another (it isn't competing, it's all about making sure everyone is learning and understanding). The school has been around for over 40 years, and has a very healthy relationship with the community. The town is a beautiful, relaxing, fun town in the middle of the mountains.

So, if all that isn't enough, just come and see for yourself. I think you will like what you find! Good luck on interview day everyone, and remember, relax and enjoy the journey! (You have a long road ahead as a medical student. Learning to enjoy the journey is essential for your health and sanity!)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
This school does sound amazing! I am all about teamwork and support. Are there are any teacher assistant opportunities for students?
Outside the school, are there any hiking trails around?

The hiking trails are plentiful! If you are an outdoorsy person, this place is heaven. If you are also a road cyclist or mountain biker, the roads/trails are impeccable. I'm from MN, and going back to ride on the roads there will be a sad day.

@Tri4thlete
That's awesome, another thing to add why WVSOM!
I am from pacific northwest, so hiking is a must for me :D

Reactions: 3 users
For those who have an interview coming up (and for those who will soon but are still waiting!) I am a current student and this school is amazing! The interview process is pretty laid back. We had a panel interview with a few of the faculty members (really relaxed get to know you feel), a tour of the campus, and some short patient clinical encounters (practice for what you will do as a student!) where essentially you role play (not really anything you need to stress about, just enjoy and relax).

As for the school, I am very glad I chose to come to WVSOM (pronounced WV - s - o - m, not WV - som). The faculty is incredible. When you interview you will get a good taste of how friendly everyone is (and yes it is sincere). This school has a great integrative curriculum (meaning the classes overlap on topic and subject matter). There is plenty to get involved in both clubs and in the community. My classmates are always reaching out to help one another (it isn't competing, it's all about making sure everyone is learning and understanding). The school has been around for over 40 years, and has a very healthy relationship with the community. The town is a beautiful, relaxing, fun town in the middle of the mountains.

So, if all that isn't enough, just come and see for yourself. I think you will like what you find! Good luck on interview day everyone, and remember, relax and enjoy the journey! (You have a long road ahead as a medical student. Learning to enjoy the journey is essential for your health and sanity!)
now i am even sadder about my "decision deferred" :(
what percentage of your current class would you say have never lived in rural areas before?

II today! does anyone know if they will offer more dates? The days given are extremely busy for me but I don't want to give up my chance to interview here. Also what airport are others flying into?

I believe thee closest airport is in Charleston.

How did everyone answer the "What do you feel it will take for you to succeed in medical school?" question?

I guess I'm not quite sure what they are looking for. Am I supposed to answer with personal characteristics? e.g. I will need to use my diligence for blah blah blah.

How did everyone answer the "What do you feel it will take for you to succeed in medical school?" question?

I guess I'm not quite sure what they are looking for. Am I supposed to answer with personal characteristics? e.g. I will need to use my diligence for blah blah blah.
I mostly talked about time management skills, school life balance, etc. And of course I threw some personal characteristics that would help me to be successful.

aka, purgatory.
Did you receive an email for this?

I mostly talked about time management skills, school life balance, etc. And of course I threw some personal characteristics that would help me to be successful.

haha this is what i said on point o_O lol

II today! does anyone know if they will offer more dates? The days given are extremely busy for me but I don't want to give up my chance to interview here. Also what airport are others flying into?

I would advise you to fly into Roanoke, VA. It's a tad closer, plus you don't get any tolls. If you fly into Charleston, you have to go through two tolls on the way to Lewisburg.

"Decision deferred after preliminary review"...waddup with the indecisiveness WVSOM?!

@soccrdoc08

Also when did you submit your secondary/did you have your letters in? AACOMAS letter service and my snail-paced post-bac letter are killing me.

@soccrdoc08

Also when did you submit your secondary/did you have your letters in? AACOMAS letter service and my snail-paced post-bac letter are killing me.
Thanks! submitted the secondary this past weekend... AACOMAS and Interfolio for my letters... didn't submit letters through interfolio until this past weekend... Good Luck!

My AACOMAS was verified on7/19 but I still did not receive the secondary from them... should I call the admission office?

Do they screen? May be I got screened out...

I asked the other day what the GPA cutoff, and got this in response" ....minimum required level is a 2.80." I didn't get an answer on the MCAT cutoff.

Hi all--I just submitted my LOR's through interfolio today and it was posted on the checklist a few hours later. However, my status still says "decision pending" even though I thought the letters were only posted when there's an II. Can anyone help explain this?

Hi all--I just submitted my LOR's through interfolio today and it was posted on the checklist a few hours later. However, my status still says "decision pending" even though I thought the letters were only posted when there's an II. Can anyone help explain this?

This happened to me two days ago. My status is still "decision pending." :shrug: