West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ok thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Question to accepted students,
during the MMI part ( I know you can not share the exact questions) was it all about medical ethics situations? How intense were they and how did you prepare?

Reactions: 1 user
This school does sound amazing! I am all about teamwork and support. Are there are any teacher assistant opportunities for students?
Outside the school, are there any hiking trails around?

They have GTAs. Basically you can student teach for a year (between 3rd and 4th year I believe). It adds a year to your schooling, but they take $100,000 of your debt away (2 years tuition, so for in state it is probably less than that). As for hiking trails there are plenty within an hour or so drive.

Members don't see this ad :)
now i am even sadder about my "decision deferred" :(
what percentage of your current class would you say have never lived in rural areas before?

Not really sure? But there are definitely some. Hang in there. Decision deferred is a good thing. It means they liked you enough to keep you on the table!

So I'm still "decision pending" since I submit my application on 8/18. My letters, sent by AACOMAS, have also not been updated. I sent Mrs. Perkins an email on 8/24 asking if she had received my letters via AACOMAS, but she has yet to get back to me. Anyone have any advice about what to do next? I'm just kind confused because other people have had really quick turnarounds

My letters were sent before I even sent the secondary (2 weeks ago) but they aren't showing up in the checklist. Anyone have insight on this?

The letters won't show up until you're offered an interview. I'm still stuck in decision pending. I'm jealous of everyone that got an answer so quickly!

Reactions: 1 users
So I'm still "decision pending" since I submit my application on 8/18. My letters, sent by AACOMAS, have also not been updated. I sent Mrs. Perkins an email on 8/24 asking if she had received my letters via AACOMAS, but she has yet to get back to me. Anyone have any advice about what to do next? I'm just kind confused because other people have had really quick turnarounds
It is possible that they have many more secondaries to look at comparing to 2 weeks ago :) SO it is taking them a longer time to get back to students.
My letters were sent before I even sent the secondary (2 weeks ago) but they aren't showing up in the checklist. Anyone have insight on this?
Mine were updated after the interview was offered.

The letters won't show up until you're offered an interview. I'm still stuck in decision pending. I'm jealous of everyone that got an answer so quickly!

I haven't been offered an interview yet, but my letters were posted...

@IsWhat Then your interview is coming! You probably just haven't gotten the email yet.

It is possible that they have many more secondaries to look at comparing to 2 weeks ago :) SO it is taking them a longer time to get back to students.

Mine were updated after the interview was offered.
Good to know! Thank you for the heads up!

I was researching around yesterday and wrote down 15 things I really like about this school. :biglove:
not bad!

My status is currently "decision deferred"....is this a good or a bad thing? Have not interviewed yet, sent in my secondary last week.

Members don't see this ad :)
My status is currently "decision deferred"....is this a good or a bad thing? Have not interviewed yet, sent in my secondary last week.
That is a good thing! They may be waiting on more info (an MCAT retake maybe) or they may be mulling over the decision, but it means you haven't been rejected!

That is a good thing! They may be waiting on more info (an MCAT retake maybe) or they may be mulling over the decision, but it means you haven't been rejected!
thank you! hopefully i'll be hearing back for an II!

Also on the checklist on the portal it shows that my supplemental app has been received but my payments have not...
I've also sent my LORs twice and its still not showing as received on the portal. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Anyone know when the first interview date is? Also, how long does it take to get a decision?

Also on the checklist on the portal it shows that my supplemental app has been received but my payments have not...
I've also sent my LORs twice and its still not showing as received on the portal. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?
Well you don't pay for supplementary app unless you have an interview.

@soccrdoc08
I might be wrong, but I think the first date is 9/14.

I don't think picture is required. But I think someone in this thread also mentioned having trouble with it.

Interviewing 9/25 (not yet confirmed but got the email). First one of the season--really excited!

I just got an email saying I need to reschedule my interview because of some commitment with the evaluation center. I already booked my hotel, grrrrr. Is anyone else being rescheduled? They gave me 4 dates to choose from.

I just got an email saying I need to reschedule my interview because of some commitment with the evaluation center. I already booked my hotel, grrrrr. Is anyone else being rescheduled? They gave me 4 dates to choose from.
What date was your interview originally scheduled for? Sorry that happened. :(

i received an II and it still says decision pending.. not sure that means anything
It means they haven't updated it. They have a lot going on right now. If you have an ii then don't sweat the technicalities, just be excited!

It means they haven't updated it. They have a lot going on right now. If you have an ii then don't sweat the technicalities, just be excited!

was trying to explain to someone that my status is the same and says "decision pending" .... so they shouldn't sweat it. Lol

was trying to explain to someone that my status is the same and says "decision pending" .... so they shouldn't sweat it. Lol
Yep that was in response to my question! Also, current WVSOM students--I'll be driving in the night before my interview. Where is the best hotel to stay at for easily getting to campus?

Yep that was in response to my question! Also, current WVSOM students--I'll be driving in the night before my interview. Where is the best hotel to stay at for easily getting to campus?

I stayed at the Fairfield Inn and Suites when I interviewed, very nice hotel. I've heart the Holiday Inn Express is nice too. Super 8 is available if you're on a budget. You can't really go wrong, just pick one that fits your budget as they are pretty much in the same vicinity of the school.

Super 8 if you are broke lol

I stayed at the Fairfield Inn and Suites when I interviewed, very nice hotel. I've heart the Holiday Inn Express is nice too. Super 8 is available if you're on a budget. You can't really go wrong, just pick one that fits your budget as they are pretty much in the same vicinity of the school.
Great thank you! Is there visitor parking on campus?

lol, how are you applying to med school and not broke? I know I am.

Thanks all! My parents are fortunately helping me out with everything to do with medical school and all of its expenses. I wouldn't be able to afford this process otherwise. Admiring the people financing this on their own--it's definitely expensive!

lol, how are you applying to med school and not broke? I know I am.
im staying in motels for every II i attend. Idk how people can afford hotels. Not really a huge difference imo either. Bed a bit more comfy perhaps? Nicer atmosphere? Its 1 night..ill live without that.

Still have "Decision Pending". But my letters showed up on the checklist yesterday...so at least AACOMAS came through for me :)!

Still have "Decision Pending". But my letters showed up on the checklist yesterday...so at least AACOMAS came through for me :)!
Last year if your letters showed up an ii was on the way. They didn't upload letters unless offering an interview! Not sure if thing changed with this years new application changes.

Last edited:
Last year I f your letters showed up an ii was on the way. They didn't upload letters unless offering an interview! Not sure if thing changed with this years new application changes.

Let's hope not ;)

does anyone know the acceptance rate for this school post interview?

does anyone know the acceptance rate for this school post interview?
From the previous threads that I have read, it looks like the rate is around 60 %;)

Such an amazing school! Good luck everyone!!!! My roommates and I (first year students) will be offering student hosting during the interview season. Feel free to PM me with questions, etc. =)

If I recall correclty, WVSOM only sends secondaries to people that they interview. So in this case, no news is good news, as you haven't been rejected yet.
Not necessarily true. They offer secondaries but you don't have to pay the secondary fee until you've been invited for an interview.

500 a month with or without roommates?
The rent range is from around $200 per month (with multiple roommates) to $1000 per month living solo "downtown" in a fully furnished house. Ronceverte and other locations about 15 minutes from the school are cheaper than Lewisburg but I recommend spending the moolah and getting as close as you can. I live with 3 other awesome girls within walking distance to the school and could not imagine a more ideal situation but it totally depends on your circumstances and lifestyle, of course. =)