West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@JadeSto
How is the job market for SO's? It doesn't seem like there is a city within 1.5hrs besides VT. Do any students live in Union/other small towns ~30 mins from campus or mostly within lewisburg? I'm interviewing here early Oct and from what I've been hearing this is a top 5 school for me....but my SO will be looking for work as an academic librarian so that might be limiting.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone. ..interviewing 9/17 here, pretty excited. Definitely trying to really prepare well for this. Any tips (aside from dry cleaning my suit) please advise? Thanks!

Is this school receptive to oos applicants and is it to late to apply?
I am out of state and have an interview here and it looks like there might be a few more people interviewing from out of state that I have seen on this thread as well. It isn't too late to apply though most schools haven't given out many or any acceptances at all yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this school receptive to oos applicants and is it to late to apply?
I am a first year and there are quite a few oos students in my class. The school definitely likes in state, as does every school, but they consider any applicant that they feel will be a good doctor.

I am a first year and there are quite a few oos students in my class. The school definitely likes in state, as does every school, but they consider any applicant that they feel will be a good doctor.

Does WVSOM have a MCAT floor? I called WV a couple days ago and they told me that anything less than a 24 would not be considered, which is weird, because that is the average

Does WVSOM have a MCAT floor? I called WV a couple days ago and they told me that anything less than a 24 would not be considered, which is weird, because that is the average

That doesnt make sense. Either they will consider less than 24 or 24 is not the average

You mathematically have to have students with less than the mean (unless all students have the mean value, which again does not make sense)

I personally know people who got in with <24 mcat last year..something seems a bit fishy. It would be very misleading to have that info on their website (UNLESS) they're serious about raising their averages.

EDIT

Last edited:
They definitely accept some students with less than a 24. That being said, if you have a low MCAT, the rest of your application/interview better be pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Confirmed and paid the secondary for Oct 2nd...PUMPED! If anyone is interviewing with me who would like to meet up the day before let me know!

@JadeSto
How is the job market for SO's? It doesn't seem like there is a city within 1.5hrs besides VT. Do any students live in Union/other small towns ~30 mins from campus or mostly within lewisburg? I'm interviewing here early Oct and from what I've been hearing this is a top 5 school for me....but my SO will be looking for work as an academic librarian so that might be limiting.

To be honest, if your SO isn't in the medical field, jobs are grim. HOWEVER, most SO's do manage to find jobs, it's just more difficult if you aren't a nurse, lab tech, etc. There is a library on campus and another library in town that is very active so he/she might not have trouble landing a job at either location.

I know people who live in Beckley (45-60 min drive) and commute to school so their SO can work in Charleston. I would avoid that if possible, as that can leave you stranded if it snows.

When you come and interview, go around and talk to businesses and see if they have any openings. When I came for my interview, we went to the local hospital and they basically told my wife that they would hire her if I got accepted and decided to attend, so that was a relief (she's a nurse FWIW).

They definitely accept some students with less than a 24. That being said, if you have a low MCAT, the rest of your application/interview better be pretty awesome.

Agreed, we have a lot of students who have some pretty incredible real life experience (paramedic, lab tech, army medic, etc.). So yes they do look at lower MCAT scores, but if your application is lackluster all around then it's going to be an uphill battle.

To be honest, if your SO isn't in the medical field, jobs are grim. HOWEVER, most SO's do manage to find jobs, it's just more difficult if you aren't a nurse, lab tech, etc. There is a library on campus and another library in town that is very active so he/she might not have trouble landing a job at either location.

I know people who live in Beckley (45-60 min drive) and commute to school so their SO can work in Charleston. I would avoid that if possible, as that can leave you stranded if it snows.

When you come and interview, go around and talk to businesses and see if they have any openings. When I came for my interview, we went to the local hospital and they basically told my wife that they would hire her if I got accepted and decided to attend, so that was a relief (she's a nurse FWIW).
Is uber popular in the area?
Also, I heard that there could be job opportunities at the Greenbrier resort?

Members don't see this ad :)
Uber? Ha, no. I believe Uber is mostly in metro areas. I haven't checked the app to see if services are available in WV, but I would assume the closest would be Charleston. Roanoke does have Uber if you plan to go there for an outing.

Greenbrier Resort is a great place for SOs to get jobs.

Uber? Ha, no. I believe Uber is mostly in metro areas. I haven't checked the app to see if services are available in WV, but I would assume the closest would be Charleston. Roanoke does have Uber if you plan to go there for an outing.

Greenbrier Resort is a great place for SOs to get jobs.
Thank you for your inputs. I guess getting a job at Charleston would not be too bad either, since it's just an hour away.

It's about an hour and 40 minutes at least, plus there are two tolls which slow you down :) Roanoke, VA is actually closer to Lewisburg (1 hour 30 mins about) than Charleston (time-wise).

Is the job market hard for someone looking to work in marketing/business? Perhaps for a startup or something?

I don't know first-hand, but I don't think it would be crazy to initiate a start-up business here. Lewisburg is flourishing in the business department (or so it seems to me). It seems like businesses are doing pretty well here. We've had multiple open up just within the last year.

Congrats to those who have II's and those waiting good luck and try to hang in there!
I'm a current second year at WVSOM. If anyone has any questions or wants to talk more about applying, medical school in general, WVSOM or what Lewisburg is like feel free to PM me!

Reactions: 1 users
Got a decision deferred update from here today =( I don't have any new grades or MCAT scores coming so I'm not sure what they are waiting for.

Got a decision deferred update from here today =( I don't have any new grades or MCAT scores coming so I'm not sure what they are waiting for.

Pre or Post interview? Chin up!

Same here

Same here, I do have grades coming but I know its my MCAT that is holding me back. Lets keep positive guys! We got this!

First time "Post"-er on studentdoctor.net incoming. So I am currently a first-year student at WVSOM and I thought I would provide some insight about the process including the interview and what were are doing right now as first year students. So, I am OOS and I applied EXTREMELY late, as in, I got my interview in February-March of this year! I had went to my interview extremely nervous because I didn't really know what to expect. However, when we did the tour and I saw what WVSOM had to offer, I was very pleased and quickly became relaxed. I'm sure you all know Angie, as she has been coordinating the whole process and will be walking your through the campus on your interview day. The actual interview environment was AMAZING, think of it more of a casual conversation you have with 2-3 members of the faculty so DO NOT WORRY. DO. NOT. WORRY. I can't say it enough, because I know you guys will still be nervous on your interview day. I was eventually wait-listed and I thought I wasn't going to get in, but about a week before classes started, I got a call saying there were a few spots open and was asked to fill them, so I had a week to get everything together. So this goes for the people that get wait-listed or deferred....Do not give up on this school, and stay in contact. As for what the first years are doing now, we just finished our first course and are working our way through our first anatomy labs! Overall, this is a great school, with great people and I hope to see some of you next year! If you have any questions, I would be glad to answer them!

Same here, I do have grades coming but I know its my MCAT that is holding me back. Lets keep positive guys! We got this!

Pre-interview hold for me too. My science GPA is identical to the profile listed on their site and my MCAT is much higher than their average :( Here's to hoping!

I think WVSOM is another school that is mission based with strong emphasis on rural medicine and primary care, and I think if that's something you are interested at then you really need to stress it in your secondary application.
Also I read many previous threads, a bunch of people got decision deferred but were still offered interview a little later. So keep your chins up!

Reactions: 1 users
I think WVSOM is another school that is mission based with strong emphasis on rural medicine and primary care, and I think if that's something you are interested at then you really need to stress it in your secondary application.
Also I read many previous threads, a bunch of people got decision deferred but were still offered interview a little later. So keep your chins up!

I talked about family medicine since that's the route I want to go. Hopefully something turns up in the future :)

So I submitted and was verified 7/15, but just today got an email saying they received my primary app... I'm guessing its because I submitted an academic update that really brought up my GPA. However my GPA calculations haven't changed in the AACOMAS portal . Anyone know if perhaps AACOMAS sent out the updated info to schools but didn't update the portal yet?!

(angst)

cancelled my 10/12 interview.
Best of luck to everyone!

Decision deffred,

Dude, 500 characters for the secondary is like, nothing.

Didn't get an II but got decision deferred. Now it changed to Decision pending again. No LOR in the checklist.. so snail mail rejection I assume?

Does anyone know how many people get accepted from interviews statistically? I am really excited to interview here in a few weeks!

Hey guys I'll see you all on Thursday, looking forward to meeting everyone and checking out this awesome campus! I'll be driving down with a friend on Wednesday, arriving around dinner time.

Secondary.
Hey steph I remember you from a diff blog about aacomas not verifying your grades correctly. I am still dealing with that problem like a month later, by chance who specifically did u speak to to fix your problem.