USMLE Western blot for HIV - Looking for antibodies? (FA 2014)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freddie Mercury

Bismillah! No, we will not let you go!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question about HIV screening. First aid says "ELISA/Western blot tests look for antibodies to viral proteins".

I understand the screening test is ELISA, where you would look for antibodies against HIV. But from various practice questions and Google research I've done, in Western Blot I don't think you'd be looking for antibodies, but rather the viral proteins themselves (p24, GP120 etc).

Members don't see this ad.

Question about HIV screening. First aid says "ELISA/Western blot tests look for antibodies to viral proteins".

I understand the screening test is ELISA, where you would look for antibodies against HIV. But from various practice questions and Google research I've done, in Western Blot I don't think you'd be looking for antibodies, but rather the viral proteins themselves (p24, GP120 etc).

In WB for HIV you pour the patient's serum onto a prepared sample containing HIV proteins. You are testing to see if the patient has antibodies to what you know are HIV proteins.

The only difference between ELISA and WB is that in WB the proteins are electrophoresed first so you know which specific protein(s) the patient has antibody to. Hence, WB is more specific than ELISA.

I think I see what you are saying. In western blot, you are dealing with the HIV proteins first. You separate them out via gel electrophoresis. But then to actually visualize the proteins, you use antibodies (after blotting to a membrane). The same thing applies to ELISA, where the viral antigens are coating the plate, and you use visualize the antibodies that actually bind to the antigens. So ultimately, you are visualizing antibodies that are binding to the viral antigens. (both are present).