Western C/O 2017 Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I turned down my interview invite today, I hope one of my fellow SDNers gets my spot!!! Now there will be at least one interview invite tomorrow! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Thanks CS, from all of us who are still on hold/hoping for an invite! Congrats on having so many other good options :)
Hang in there guys, maybe tomorrow will bring some good emails :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Got back from interviews over the weekend, fell in love with the school. Best of luck to everyone.

Got back from interviews over the weekend, fell in love with the school. Best of luck to everyone.

That's awesome, congrats!! I wish you the best of luck from here on out! I am still waiting patiently (sort of haha).

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone who got that eligibility email hear back since?

Got an email where you pick the interview dates. Available for the 5th, which is strangely today, 9th, 11th and 12th thus far. Fingers crossed for all of you guys out there ;) You have to pick 1st and 2nd choice.

Got an email where you pick the interview dates. Available for the 5th, which is strangely today, 9th, 11th and 12th thus far. Fingers crossed for all of you guys out there ;) You have to pick 1st and 2nd choice.

Me too!

What time did you guys get the emails? Still waiting :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats RetroUnicorn and Alexandra2210! Hope we get to join you guys!!

That's awesome you guys!!! For everyone that attended, how did you get to Western? Anyone stay in a hotel?

Thanks! And congrats to everyone who got an interview too!

Congrats to everyone who got an interview!! Good luck =)

Congrats on the interviews everyone!!! Good Luck! Its a great program :)

I got an interview e-mail today! I hadn't heard anything since I got the 'hold' e-mail about a month ago so positive thoughts guys the invites are still coming!!

I'm a little worried about flying there from PA since the interviews are next week, especially with the storm coming up, but I'll start walking there right now if I have to. :)

I got an interview e-mail today! I hadn't heard anything since I got the 'hold' e-mail about a month ago so positive thoughts guys the invites are still coming!!

I'm a little worried about flying there from PA since the interviews are next week, especially with the storm coming up, but I'll start walking there right now if I have to. :)

Yay! Congrats! Hope the storm doesn't mess your travel plans up but it will be nice to escape to sunny California :D :luck:

Anyone else hear anything? I emailed them the syllabi they requested from me to determine eligibility about a week ago and still no response. And their email was stern about not asking for status of app or of my documents ( :confused: cause then how do I know they received them??) so I am hesitant to ask. Have to keep telling myself to try to be patient! :)

Congratulations! And thank you so much for sharing that you were "on hold" I have been worried that "on hold" leads to bad news. Good luck on your interview and have a safe journey!

I got an interview invite on Wednesday! SO EXCITED, I haven't stopped smiling for the past two days :) Just an fyi, the form I filled out on Thursday listed the 9th, 11th, and 12th of Feb as interview day options. KEEP THE FAITH for those of you still waiting, it will happen!

I had a question about the interview. I saw on SDN feedback that most of the questions they asked were pretty standard and people received the same questions last year. It is too hopeful to assume that they will be asking roughly those same questions or do people think they'll jump to a whole new set of standard behavioral questions?

Last edited:
Got my interview invite today! The last date for interviews is feb 19th for anyone interested in that info. Also, can someone PM me the link for western u interview questions please? Thanks!!

For everyone excited about Californian weather, it's hailing in LA right now!

Just letting ya'll know CA isn't always sunny :p

For everyone excited about Californian weather, it's hailing in LA right now!

Just letting ya'll know CA isn't always sunny :p

:eek: Which part of CA?? I know Big Bear is getting snow. Here in LA it is very windy but chilly!!

CONGRATS Blondie!!! I know you have been waiting for that invite!!!

Thanks wildowl!! I wanted to pick this week but the prices are through the roof!

No problem :) I'm lucky I live semi-close, otherwise I don't think I could have afforded it! Good luck!!! :luck:

I had a question about the interview. I saw on SDN feedback that most of the questions they asked were pretty standard and people received the same questions last year. It is too hopeful to assume that they will be asking roughly those same questions or do people think they'll jump to a whole new set of standard behavioral questions?

My friend who just interviewed told me which questions she had. They are pretty much the same ones used in the past or a slight variation of the questions. I have my interview tomorrow. Good luck to everyone else!

No problem :) I'm lucky I live semi-close, otherwise I don't think I could have afforded it! Good luck!!! :luck:
The flight from where I live was $700 without a hotel... I couldn't afford the flight and had to give up my interview :( Good luck to everyone next week!!! You will do amazing!!

Congratulations! And thank you so much for sharing that you were "on hold" I have been worried that "on hold" leads to bad news. Good luck on your interview and have a safe journey!

You're welcome, and thank you for the well wishes! I'm glad to escape the cold here if only for a few days.

If it helps here is the timeline that I had:
10/11/12 - Application received
11/16/12 - Application ready for review
1/14/13 - Application on 'hold'
1/16/13 - Asked for Microbiology syllabus to make sure it satisfies the pre-req
2/7/13 - Interview invitation

For someone who has interviewed, how long can a behavioral answer be?

I know in traditional interviews, one to two sentences is usually the limit, but for behavioral interviews, there is a lot of explaining or describing situations. It's common sense that you should say what you need in as little time as possible, but what's the average time to answer one behavioral question?

That is a great question and I was wondering about the same thing. I have been practicing and am taking about 3-5 minutes to answer a question. Anyone who interviewed have an average or recommended time per question? All help is appreciated. Thanks!

I read somewhere that behavioral responses should be between 2-3 mins but I don't think time really matters as long as you're concise in your answer. I had my interview today and I was really impressed with how stress-free the whole process was!

For someone who has interviewed, how long can a behavioral answer be?

I know in traditional interviews, one to two sentences is usually the limit, but for behavioral interviews, there is a lot of explaining or describing situations. It's common sense that you should say what you need in as little time as possible, but what's the average time to answer one behavioral question?
My ISU interview was all behavioral questions. I think I answered each question for about 3-4 min... I just wrote down bullets I needed to remember to hit when I answered my questions. When I tried to memorize whole sentences, I would forget something and spend time trying to remember what I forgot; it was a mess. So, I recommend remembering bullets! Also, practice thinking of how the same answers you have can be turned to answer multiple question types. That way, no matter what they ask you, you will have an answer!

My ISU interview was all behavioral questions. I think I answered each question for about 3-4 min... I just wrote down bullets I needed to remember to hit when I answered my questions. When I tried to memorize whole sentences, I would forget something and spend time trying to remember what I forgot; it was a mess. So, I recommend remembering bullets! Also, practice thinking of how the same answers you have can be turned to answer multiple question types. That way, no matter what they ask you, you will have an answer!

This is excellent advice! Don't try to memorize a scripted response. WesternU looks for your personality to shine through in your interviews. Make sure your responses are clear, concise, and actually answers the question. I say this because I'll never forget that on one of my questions, I rambled on and on. When I finished, they were like, "that's great but how did you ..." :eek: Then I answered it in one sentence. :laugh:

To those still waiting for an interview... don't lose hope! I was given my interview after the interview dates had past. They ended up adding another couple of dates. This has happened before so don't give up. Good luck everyone!

Ditto what everyone said, don't worry about sticking too a script and try to let your personality shine through. I think they are used to people getting stumped sometimes, so don't panic if that happens. Before I went in, the other students told us it was ok to ask to go to the next question if you are stumped, and then answer it later.

If you tend to ramble or not say enough you could try sticking to the 'STAR' method for answering behavioral interview questions to give yourself an outline. It basically involves explaining the situation, explaining the task you had to complete, the action you took, and the outcome. But you don't have to worry about it too much because the
interviewers will prompt you if you leave something out (i.e "and what was the outcome after you did that?") At least they did in my case.

I know that personally I have a hard time recalling things that have happened in my past, so I made sure to think of a few situations that might apply to a number of different questions before I went in. It definitely helped a lot!

Good luck everyone!

Has anyone had a second "you're on hold" email? I got an email saying there was an update to my file, but it just said I was still on hold :(
Congrats to all with interviews!

So, for those who interviewed lately, did Karen/ Admissions throw out any dates for acceptances? I heard March 1st...that is really early for Western.

I also received the second email indicating that my application was on hold. I wonder how many people are left to interview? =(

So, for those who interviewed lately, did Karen/ Admissions throw out any dates for acceptances? I heard March 1st...that is really early for Western.

When I interviewed Lacey said they would email March 15th

Don't give up hope yet. I just got an interview invite today, after two rounds of being notified my application was still on hold. Strangely the two dates I was offered to interview were yesterday and the 19th, so I'm planning on being there the 19th. Stay positive, it ain't over til it's over!