Western C/O 2017 Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thought I got some good news in my inbox today, but it was just an email regarding tuition costs :(

Members don't see this ad.

I got that e-mail too and was pretty bummed. I met with a financial aid councilor at Western U and was told to expect a 5-10% raise on tuition every year. I love the program and I am really excited about it, but they may very well price themselves out of me or some others from attending... I have some serious soul searching to do before April 15th. :scared:

Edit: I missed the attachment. Guess it's only a 1K for this coming year... Still a lot but a lot less frightening.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wanted to ask your guys opinion on the Health Insurance Western has to offer. Apparently, it's a very 'basic' health insurance but it seems very similar to my PPO as of now.

It's $20 a doctor visit, $15 for prescriptions, but it has no dental or eye coverage (which is very common with PPO's as well). Are most of you going to stick with your current health insurance or go with Western's?

This question probably wont appeal to anyone under 26 if they are on a family plan. :)

Wanted to ask your guys opinion on the Health Insurance Western has to offer. Apparently, it's a very 'basic' health insurance but it seems very similar to my PPO as of now.

It's $20 a doctor visit, $15 for prescriptions, but it has no dental or eye coverage (which is very common with PPO's as well). Are most of you going to stick with your current health insurance or go with Western's?

This question probably wont appeal to anyone under 26 if they are on a family plan. :)

I kept my private insurance so I cannot help you there but I did want to note that you can get very affordable eye and dental care on campus due to the Dental and other schools here. The appointments will be longer than a normal doctor at times but they can be thorough.

Are waitlisted folk allowed to join the Facebook group? I feel so left out now that this thread is practically dead :( haha

So does anyone know if the class is full today? Also, did 105 people get accepted, just like last year?

So does anyone know if the class is full today? Also, did 105 people get accepted, just like last year?

I got an email last week saying 97 acceptances were received and they were waiting to hear back from 12 more.

I have a sad feeling the class is most likely full :(

Hey class,

anyone else still working on their health clearance forms? This thing is quite a ton of work. I have had to wait over a month to see my general physician, does he have to fill most this out after a titers test?

Also, you have to get a TB test and Rabies vaccines all before June 1st? Or do they expect you to send in the paper work and get those things before orientation week? I know it says you can get rabies vaccination during orientation week, but I was hoping to see if my insurance can cover it. It cost $700 to have Western do it for you. I have submitted everything but this form, anyone else working on it?

Hey y'all,

For those accepted I have a question: Do y'all remember what the requirement was for microbiology/how many credit hours? They've updated the site for next year and it's only 3 credits. Was it 4 credits for this class? I'm curious because I took microbiology lecture, 3 credits, last semester and I'm taking the lab, 1 credit, right now. However, I'd LOVE to withdraw from the lab....

Vet1day: I am currently taking microbiology and it is only a 3 credit course and I was accepted to Western...hope this reply isn't too late.

VetStudent123: I finished my health clearance forms a few weeks ago. I am in grad school 6 hrs away from my general practitioner at home so I just went to my school's health center and got it all taken care of there. Nothing needs to be signed by a Dr. so I just had an NP sign all the papers. Also, I filled out the titer results worksheet myself and all my paperwork was accepted. Make sure you send in the actual lab copy of your titer results as well just to be on the safe side. Also, I already got both TB tests (afterwords I realized they want you to wait to get the second one til August but that just means that next year I need to get mine done in April instead of August). According to several posts on the facebook group about the rabies vaccines not all insurances cover the series but some people got at least part paid for by submitting the reimbursement forms after getting the shots even thought their insurance initially said they would not cover it so idk how that works haha. You can find out if yours will be covered by just calling your insurance company and asking them over the phone and even if they tell you no you can still submit a claim and see if they'll help you. Honestly, the school isn't making a profit on the vaccines from what I have found. Its actually cheaper to get it there than at most other places I checked out. If you do decide to get them through the school you are supposed to email Jeanene White ([email protected]) at the health center and let her know to add you to the list. Otherwise you have to at least have started the series by June 1.

Hope this helps!

Vet1day: I am currently taking microbiology and it is only a 3 credit course and I was accepted to Western...hope this reply isn't too late.

VetStudent123: I finished my health clearance forms a few weeks ago. I am in grad school 6 hrs away from my general practitioner at home so I just went to my school's health center and got it all taken care of there. Nothing needs to be signed by a Dr. so I just had an NP sign all the papers. Also, I filled out the titer results worksheet myself and all my paperwork was accepted. Make sure you send in the actual lab copy of your titer results as well just to be on the safe side. Also, I already got both TB tests (afterwords I realized they want you to wait to get the second one til August but that just means that next year I need to get mine done in April instead of August). According to several posts on the facebook group about the rabies vaccines not all insurances cover the series but some people got at least part paid for by submitting the reimbursement forms after getting the shots even thought their insurance initially said they would not cover it so idk how that works haha. You can find out if yours will be covered by just calling your insurance company and asking them over the phone and even if they tell you no you can still submit a claim and see if they'll help you. Honestly, the school isn't making a profit on the vaccines from what I have found. Its actually cheaper to get it there than at most other places I checked out. If you do decide to get them through the school you are supposed to email Jeanene White ([email protected]) at the health center and let her know to add you to the list. Otherwise you have to at least have started the series by June 1.

Hope this helps!

Thank you,

I called Western and they let me know as long as I send something before June 1 it shouldnt be a problem and they will work with me on what is missing. The June 1st deadline had me nervous but I found out if you don't send it by then, they just place a hold on registration.

Thanks Happycowsliedown!!

Question for vet students or incoming class: Do y'all know of any apartments that allow german shepherds? I have yet to find one.....

Hey guys! I'm starting at Western this fall and had a question about dress code for classes. Is there one? I usually just wore t shirts and jeans to class in undergrad but some of my classmates are talking about how they'll be wearing khakis and dress shirts every day, which I wasn't planning on!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

I just got off the wait list today! And I'm going to accept the offer!:hardy:

Anybody still looking for a roommate?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

I just got off the wait list today! And I'm going to accept the offer!:hardy:

Anybody still looking for a roommate?

Congrats! I saw your post on the FB page :) People were posting looking for roommates recently, so I'm sure you'll find one!

Hey guys! I'm starting at Western this fall and had a question about dress code for classes. Is there one? I usually just wore t shirts and jeans to class in undergrad but some of my classmates are talking about how they'll be wearing khakis and dress shirts every day, which I wasn't planning on!

Technically speaking, there is a dress code of business casual. That said, VetMed students are usually dressed "Southern California Casual" as I call it (shirt and jeans). I'm pretty sure the other colleges on campus judge us (since they're usually in business casual) but hey, our patients poop and pee on us :laugh: not to mention the anal gland thing human medicine just will never understand.
For clinical rotations and labs, there is a specific dress code depending on which rotation you have. Check the syllabus...you could be in a clinical rotation on the first week of class depending on your group number. Dress business casual for orientation week.