Western c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To clarify interview dates, Nov. 16th is the last one (based on the email sent out to students asking for volunteers during interview days).

Members don't see this ad.

So I am actually very nervous for my Western Interview... anyone have any advice on how to prep or at least how to calm my nerves down?:help:

So I am actually very nervous for my Western Interview... anyone have any advice on how to prep or at least how to calm my nerves down?:help:
I'm so nervous too! When is your interview?

I found this online: http://www.lifeinvetschool.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/WesternU-Interview-Prep.pdf I have no idea how accurate it is, but I've been just trying to think of specific examples from my experiences that will work for the questions. Since the interview is "blind", I really want to be able to talk about my best experiences and what I've gained from them. My biggest fear has been pausing too long to think after they answer a question. Many vets and current vet students told me not to worry about pausing and to think for a minute in the interview if I need to!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I found this online: http://www.lifeinvetschool.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/WesternU-Interview-Prep.pdf I have no idea how accurate it is, but I've been just trying to think of specific examples from my experiences that will work for the questions. Since the interview is "blind", I really want to be able to talk about my best experiences and what I've gained from them. My biggest fear has been pausing too long to think after they answer a question. Many vets and current vet students told me not to worry about pausing and to think for a minute in the interview if I need to!

Do not be afraid to take a second and compose your thoughts. Don't rush through an instant answer.

Do not be afraid to take a second and compose your thoughts. Don't rush through an instant answer.

I second this. I also would like to suggest not psyching yourself out. I did that before I even left Denver for Manhattan, Kansas for a K-state interview and it made for a lousy first couple of hours for my 7 hour drive.

Ahh.. Thanks! That is a really helpful resource. I'm doing the same, just going through all my experiences and reflecting.
And my interview is this Monday! When's yours?

Just an FYI--I bought a prep book for MMI interviews and they say there are common pitfalls to avoid. For example, if they give a scenario but do not specifically give a person a gender, they will note if you automatically assume them to be male or female based on the description of their behavior. I thought that was interesting!

Ahh.. Thanks! That is a really helpful resource. I'm doing the same, just going through all my experiences and reflecting.
And my interview is this Monday! When's yours?
Goodluck! You got this. My interview is November 14th. It was supposed to be Oct 31 so I've had extra time to make myself even more nervous.

@bambz what is this book you speak of?

i'm so jealous of all you preparing for your interview! Good luck to you all!!

I have yet to receive anything, so I'm hoping I will hear something soon...

Last edited:
Leaving for Cali in a couple of hours! Good luck to everyone who is interviewing this weekend!! :)

Goodluck! You got this. My interview is November 14th. It was supposed to be Oct 31 so I've had extra time to make myself even more nervous.

@bambz what is this book you speak of?
Much appreciated. The closer the day comes, the more jittery I get! :) Good luck on yours too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I was helping out with interviews this past weekend and just FYI they are not MMI interviews in the way you might think of them as. For instance they are not going to be like the Davis interviews. I feel comfortable saying this because they were very forthcoming with this information at the beginning of everyone's interviews on Saturday. But they are basically western's version of MMI...you will be essentially asked behavior type questions that will ask you to draw from personal experiences. They are different from last years because instead of being in one room with 2 interviewers for 30 minutes you will be in 2 rooms (with 2 interviewers) for 15 minutes each. They nature of the questions are the same though...hope this helps :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys I was helping out with interviews this past weekend and just FYI they are not MMI interviews in the way you might think of them as. For instance they are not going to be like the Davis interviews. I feel comfortable saying this because they were very forthcoming with this information at the beginning of everyone's interviews on Saturday. But they are basically western's version of MMI...you will be essentially asked behavior type questions that will ask you to draw from personal experiences. They are different from last years because instead of being in one room with 2 interviewers for 30 minutes you will be in 2 rooms (with 2 interviewers) for 15 minutes each. They nature of the questions are the same though...hope this helps :)
THANK YOU!! That helps a lot

Does anyone know why some applications take longer to review than others? My application has been in review for over a month now and last I emailed them (2 weeks ago), they told me it was still under review.... But I haven't gotten any updates. I'm just kind of worried since Nov. 16th is supposedly the last interview day.

Yes, the interview was so much more causal then I thought it would be so don't be nervous!Just look up some behavioral type questions to practice with.

Does anyone know why some applications take longer to review than others? My application has been in review for over a month now and last I emailed them (2 weeks ago), they told me it was still under review.... But I haven't gotten any updates. I'm just kind of worried since Nov. 16th is supposedly the last interview day.
I don't know why they are taking longer for others but during the presentations they said that everyone would know if hey were accepted,wait listed or rejected by Christmas :eek:

I don't know why they are taking longer for others but during the presentations they said that everyone would know if hey were accepted,wait listed or rejected by Christmas :eek:

That doesn't really surprise me. CSU and OrSU are going to let us know by Christmas as well. That's three of my choices before Christmas. It'd be awesome if they gave me a good Christmas present, though. ;)

That doesn't really surprise me. CSU and OrSU are going to let us know by Christmas as well. That's three of my choices before Christmas. It'd be awesome if they gave me a good Christmas present, though. ;)

I applied to those schools as well! It's nice not having to worry about interviews, though I guess it depends on how strong your application is :dead:

That's so soon now that I think about it....:nailbiting: It'll be nice to know early though since some schools don't even start interviews until next year!

I applied to those schools as well! It's nice not having to worry about interviews, though I guess it depends on how strong your application is :dead:

I definitely wish that they interviewed. I'm a strong interviewer and it would benefit me a lot! Especially with CSU since it's my IS.

My birthday is right after christmas so I hope I get good news. Either way ill end up at a bar lol

My birthday is right after christmas so I hope I get good news. Either way ill end up at a bar lol

Mine too! January 6! I'm not allowed to buy myself anything between November and January because of the Christmas/birthday line up. lol.

Hi everyone!
I got invited for an interview on the 14th!!! So excited but very nervous as English is not my 1st language I'm also traveling from Washington DC for the 1st time to CA
Good luck!!!

I got a notification from Western on my phone and thought it was an interview invite (Finally!!). Got super excited and saw that it was an email inviting me to their Preview Day :boom: <-- this is literally me.

I got a notification from Western on my phone and thought it was an interview invite (Finally!!). Got super excited and saw that it was an email inviting me to their Preview Day :boom: <-- this is literally me.

That same thing happened to me. Lol. You could still get one! Good luck!

Got that e-mail a while ago and was greatly irritated. lol.

I just received an interview invitation! omg I didn't think that they were still sending any out since the last interview days are next week. Now to hurriedly plan my travel from Maryland.

I just received an interview invitation! omg I didn't think that they were still sending any out since the last interview days are next week. Now to hurriedly plan my travel from Maryland.
Congrats!!! What day are you interviewing??

Congrats!!! What day are you interviewing??
I'm not sure yet. I still need to wait for confirmation, but it will be either the 14 or the 16. I will update when I find out!
I had to throw all my travel plans together in the past couple of hours, because I literally can't afford to wait to find out which date I have. Darn plane tickets.

I received my interview invite on 11/9 and am scheduled for 11/16!!! Super nervous, but excited :nailbiting:

I'm wondering if I should email them again? I've been waiting since the beginning of October.... So i've been nervous and on edge for the past month :confused:. Western is one of my top schools since I live in California, but I also don't want to be annoying if they are still going through applications.... Either way, the last interview day (Nov. 16th it seems like) is nearing so people would have to prepare really quickly to attend it if they are still sending out invitations!

I'm not sure yet. I still need to wait for confirmation, but it will be either the 14 or the 16. I will update when I find out!
I had to throw all my travel plans together in the past couple of hours, because I literally can't afford to wait to find out which date I have. Darn plane tickets.
I hope you figure out your travel plans soon!! Yeah, it's not much time to prepare :\

I'm wondering if I should email them again? I've been waiting since the beginning of October.... So i've been nervous and on edge for the past month :confused:. Western is one of my top schools since I live in California, but I also don't want to be annoying if they are still going through applications.... Either way, the last interview day (Nov. 16th it seems like) is nearing so people would have to prepare really quickly to attend it if they are still sending out invitations!

I don't think it will hurt to e-mail them. You could even confirm that date as the actual last interview date.

I hope you figure out your travel plans soon!! Yeah, it's not much time to prepare :\
It was a struggle, but it is done. Haha, I think I got my entire family stressed out as we tried to figure out what to do. Woops.
I received my confirmation for the 16th, afternoon session! I hope to meet some SDNers there.

doe_eyes, I hope you hear back soon too! I would just want to know so I could stop worrying about it.

I just got an interview invitation! Patience is key I guess!!!:soexcited: Nov. 16th, which means I have to miss my brother's wedding :dead::(

The email I got said no interviews will be scheduled after the 16th, so I think it is the last day.

Reactions: 2 users
I just got an interview invitation! Patience is key I guess!!!:soexcited: Nov. 16th, which means I have to miss my brother's wedding :dead::(

The email I got said no interviews will be scheduled after the 16th, so I think it is the last day.

Nice!

The 16th is a Monday, is your brother's wedding on a weekday?

The 16th is a Monday, is your brother's wedding on a weekday?
Yes. I know it's weird that it's not during the weekend, but it's just how it worked out for them.

Last edited:
Do any current students know if what you guys observe during the interview day will affect a students chances of being accepted? It sounds kind of weird but I don't know how to word it.

Are family members allowed to attend the presentation? I'm traveling with my sister for the interview. I don't want to leave her alone for 6 hours by herself in a town she isn't familiar with since we have to check out of our hotel early in the day.

Are family members allowed to attend the presentation? I'm traveling with my sister for the interview. I don't want to leave her alone for 6 hours by herself in a town she isn't familiar with since we have to check out of our hotel early in the day.

No parents were present in my group but in previous posts I think they said it's OK to bring family. Just make sure they dress well as well!

No parents were present in my group but in previous posts I think they said it's OK to bring family. Just make sure they dress well as well!
Okay thanks! I just don't want to be the only person bringing a family member around.... I hope the organizers won't mind!

On my interview day, there were some parents who came. The WesternU student volunteers even said that it is encouraged for family members to come for the tour and presentations.

On my interview day, there were some parents who came. The WesternU student volunteers even said that it is encouraged for family members to come for the tour and presentations.
Thanks for the info! I think my family members are more excited than I am, so I had to bring one of them along! Plus the extra support will be needed; I'm sure I will be a nervous wreck the day of my interview :nailbiting::nailbiting:

There were family members present on my day as well. Dress well. And, they obviously can't be with you for the 30 minute interview. But the rest of the time, it's fine!

This is something I checked on with admissions, and they said it was fine for family members to attend the presentations!

Did family members show up at the start of the day with the interviewee and then just hang out there while waiting? I am planning on bringing my fiance but don't want to "stand out" for being one of the only interviewees who brought a family member...

My flight leaves today for my interview on Saturday!! I'm so excited and nervous! Good luck to everyone else interviewing this weekend :)