Western c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The theme of my PS was basically serving my community through vet med, helping underserved communities care for their pets, and being motivated by the One Health initiative. Also an older applicant, also have an extensive business/management background, and I have many hours, nearly 1000, of community service experience along with my 3000+ veterinary and 4000+ animal. I'm sure my interest in helping my community got me an interview at Kansas this year, as they do really emphasize that. My grades were decent enough to get me an interview at Davis. Also top tier for Washington and its the only school I've so far been officially rejected by. I guess I'm just a bit baffled by Western. Oh well. :/
Good luck with your interview at Davis! I went to undergrad there and love, love everything about the school and town! I know we will all end up at a school we love eventually. It's just hard being patient with the whole process. :wacky:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all I just wanted to offer some hope to those on the alternate list. I was an alternate last year and was officially accepted end of April/beginning of May. I have also talked to several people from my class who were alternates as well so don't fret!! The list does move. That being said some years it moves more than others but please don't think that being an alternate takes you out of the running because it definitely does not. Also, don't think that being an alternate means that they didn't like you or your interview went bad...if that was the case you most likely would have been rejected. Being an alternate simply means that you are very qualified, your interview went well but unfortunately there are a lot of people who are qualified and they only have 105 seats in the class. Also, keep in mind that although Western is a great school and I love it here it is expensive so many people turn it down for a cheaper, in state option. So please don't give up hope because you are an alternate...I know it sucks to be in limbo...but it definitely does not mean you won't be accepted on a later date. Hope this helps!!

Thank you so much!! I went to an interview last year and could not get in. This year I am "Alternate". I really love Western and don't want to give up. I deeply appreciate your encouragement.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck with your interview at Davis! I went to undergrad there and love, love everything about the school and town! I know we will all end up at a school we love eventually. It's just hard being patient with the whole process. :wacky:

Thanks! I'm so excited about the possibility going there! My interview was last week and it was pretty intense. Hoping I did well! And yes, we are all pretty determined and obviously qualified for vet school... We will all end up going somewhere great! The waiting is just sooooooo hard!

Members don't see this ad :)
Was bummed to find out that I'm on the waitlist. Really appreciate all the encouragement from current/former Western students. Nice to feel there's still hope!

Looking forward to meeting my future classmates in August :) I also really hope the alternates list moves quite a bit this year :)

This may be a bit early, but has a Western c/o 2020 Facebook group been established yet?

Reactions: 3 users
For those of us who haven't heard anything yet, is it likely that we won't hear until January 4th when they reopen? This is killing me!

I want a Facebook page but I'm not 100% if I'm going here yet! One more interview :nailbiting:

I was accepted as an alternate like many others on here. Does anyone know how many students were accepted and how many alternates were given that status?

Looking forward to meeting my future classmates in August :) I also really hope the alternates list moves quite a bit this year :)

This may be a bit early, but has a Western c/o 2020 Facebook group been established yet?
Definitely going to western next year, see you there! We should just start one up now :)

Reactions: 2 users
For those of us who haven't heard anything yet, is it likely that we won't hear until January 4th when they reopen? This is killing me!

It is killing me too. I'm extremely frustrated and can't believe a mistake like this happened. When I first emailed them about receiving an accidental rejection letter, Ashley said she would find out what happened and get back to me but never did. She assured me that decisions had not been made. Now we were not notified of our status before winter break. Did anyone who received the initial email by mistake get notified on the 18th? Has this happened before?

If you have questions, email Karen Lopez. She is the admissions director, and is certainly the most knowledgable. She also gets back to people by email fairly quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have questions, email Karen Lopez. She is the admissions director, and is certainly the most knowledgable. She also gets back to people by email fairly quickly.
I emailed Karen when I first got the letter a month ago, she emailed me back and said she would let me know within a week. I never heard anything back from her after that. I also emailed her on Friday when everyone found out their status and I didn't get an email. I still have not heard anything from her.

I emailed Karen when I first got the letter a month ago, she emailed me back and said she would let me know within a week. I never heard anything back from her after that. I also emailed her on Friday when everyone found out their status and I didn't get an email. I still have not heard anything from her.

Wow that's surprising.. she usually is really good about phone calls and emails. Although I did read on here someone said she is having a baby, so maybe that is what is keeping her from responding to people quickly? I'm sorry you're having to go through that. That's awful to have to wait this long. That would drive anyone crazy. However, no news is usually good news. I also spoke with her a while ago about the whole "email rejection letter" mistake, and what she said to me was it was a glitch in the system and it was sent out to a bunch of people. It was sent out WAY too early at the time, so it was a mistake for all of those people who received that email. So for you this should mean no news is good news right?

I was wait listed as well. Pretty disappointing since I felt my interview went great, was given business cards and everything, but it's okay! Even though my grades and GRE are significantly above Western's averages, I realized I am very "boring" as I've only had experience with small animal medicine and nothing else. I'm definitely going to spend the next couple of months shadowing/volunteering/interning at places outside of my current job. Hoping that the list moves fast but expecting to have to reapply!

is anyone else having trouble accessing email? I keep getting directed to download microsoft office, which is already on my computer. How can I get passed this and access email?

upload_2015-12-26_13-54-31.png

and when i click on outlook i get the error that no mailbox was found for me....anyone else?

is anyone else having trouble accessing email? I keep getting directed to download microsoft office, which is already on my computer. How can I get passed this and access email?

View attachment 199036

I am getting the same message. I figured I will email them once the holidays are over.

oh ok cool, at least its not me. I manually added my email address to outlook and was able to gain access but I cant access it through go.western.edu

Go to mail.western.edu instead of go.western.edu

I used the microsoft office site that pops up to change my password from that first initial birthday stuff to a preferred password. Then I logged in on the mail.western.edu site with my username (left of the @ symbol in your email address) and the new password. Takes you to an inbox after selecting your timezone and stuff.

soooo does western not have a general chemistry requirement? Obviously you have to take gen chem to take ochem, but is there a unit requirement for general chemistry? Curious, because if not, i get to graduate early!

They don't care about general chemistry. All that is required is one semester or Organic chemistry and one semester of Biochemistry.

im graduating early, im graduating early!!!!!!
cat-wine-4.jpg

Hahah good for you!! That is what I know at least. Just to be 100% sure I would just email for a paper trail so you have that in writing that they do not care about gen chem. I was told the same thing that they DO NOT care about gen chem since it is NOT required, but I would be certain and email Karen Lopez so you know 100%.

Is there anyone who has been accepted waiting to hear from your instate school before paying your deposit to Western? I want to go here, but if I'm accepted to my instate school I would rather go there for tuition. We will not know until first of February for my instate school. Does anyone think the seats will fill at Western before then?

Last edited:
Is there anyone who has been accepted waiting to hear from your instate school before paying your deposit to Western? I want to go here, but if I'm accepted to my instate school I would rather go there for tuition. We will not know until first of February for my instate school. Does anyone think the seats will fill at Western before then?
If you were accepted I believe you have until April 15th to submit your deposit and take your spot in the class. They won't take your spot away before then.

Schools are required to hold accepted seats until April 15th, so you have until then to decide, regardless of how many people accept their offer beforehand.

But from our email they said that they have offered more seats that they can physically seat which is a common practice from all vet schools..

Ex. Say there's 100 seats and they have accepted maybe 150-200 students. The first 100 to pay their deposits are the ones who are admitted. They know several will decline and choose other schools.. I just know with my luck that this will be the first time in history that the class fills up before I find out about my instate school. Lol

I HIGHLY doubt this will happen and most people wait until the week of April 15th to make their decision. I just hate to not pay the $500 and find out I wasn't accepted to my instate school and then find out western is full. I know this won't happen but it's just been in the back of my mind. I can't afford to pay $500 right now when I might have a good possibility to my instate school and will have to pay $500 again. You feel me? I might shoot Ms. Lopez and email and maybe she can make me feel more at ease with waiting until the first of February.

But from our email they said that they have offered more seats that they can physically seat which is a common practice from all vet schools..

Ex. Say there's 100 seats and they have accepted maybe 150-200 students. The first 100 to pay their deposits are the ones who are admitted. They know several will decline and choose other schools.. I just know with my luck that this will be the first time in history that the class fills up before I find out about my instate school. Lol

I HIGHLY doubt this will happen and most people wait until the week of April 15th to make their decision. I just hate to not pay the $500 and find out I wasn't accepted to my instate school and then find out western is full. I know this won't happen but it's just been in the back of my mind. I can't afford to pay $500 right now when I might have a good possibility to my instate school and will have to pay $500 again. You feel me? I might shoot Ms. Lopez and email and maybe she can make me feel more at ease with waiting until the first of February.
Technically, it's against the rules if a school would take back your acceptance before April 15th, so I really really don't think this would happen, and if they did, the school would be in a lot of trouble.

Also, I believe Western almost always takes at least a few from the waitlist, which would make me think that even those depositing on April 15th at 5pm are safe. Honestly, I wouldn't fret over it, because your seat in all reality is probably safe. Though I understand your anxiety, so if it eases your fears then I would email them.

Pretty sure that's against the AVMA or something.

Like everyone said, a school cannot take back an acceptance after they've given it out to you until after April 15th. So everyone has until April 15th to make a decision. That would be SO wrong and unethical to take back an acceptance. If you are seriously worried, just email Karen Lopez and get it in writing from her.

So does anyone know how many people have been accepted, wait listed, rejected?

Karen Lopez just emailed me back and told me she'd check once she gets back to campus but in the mean time I should check my spam filter.... How insulting! Like I wouldn't check my spam filter after not receiving an email about my future! SMH!

Karen Lopez just emailed me back and told me she'd check once she gets back to campus but in the mean time I should check my spam filter.... How insulting! Like I wouldn't check my spam filter after not receiving an email about my future! SMH!

She's definitely not insulting in the least. She deals with 1,000+ people e-mailing her looking for this information for about six months every year. You can bet that there's a decent chunk that don't check their spam e-mail in their panic of not hearing and that is the most logical reason for an applicant to not have received an e-mail. Think Occam's Razor: the simplest answer is normally the most likely answer.

Reactions: 2 users
She's definitely not insulting in the least. She deals with 1,000+ people e-mailing her looking for this information for about six months every year. You can bet that there's a decent chunk that don't check their spam e-mail in their panic of not hearing and that is the most logical reason for an applicant to not have received an e-mail. Think Occam's Razor: the simplest answer is normally the most likely answer.
Sorry to be annoyed by the fact that first the school accidentally rejects me then doesn't even send me my decision email... And then I get told to check my spam in response.

Sorry to be annoyed by the fact that first the school accidentally rejects me then doesn't even send me my decision email... And then I get told to check my spam in response.

I was just pointing out that she was in no way being insulting. She gave you the exact response she would have given any other applicant. Again, she probably receives 1,000+ phone calls and e-mails over a six month period just from applicants. Not to mention that you contacted her during break. What did you expect her to say? Since she's not in the office, that's probably all she could really tell you since she doesn't have access to your file where she's at. It's all about perspective.

Reactions: 1 users
I was just pointing out that she was in no way being insulting. She gave you the exact response she would have given any other applicant. Again, she probably receives 1,000+ phone calls and e-mails over a six month period just from applicants. Not to mention that you contacted her during break. What did you expect her to say? Since she's not in the office, that's probably all she could really tell you since she doesn't have access to your file where she's at. It's all about perspective.
I felt insulted. It's all about perspective.

I felt insulted. It's all about perspective.

Obviously. That's why I mentioned it wasn't meant in any negative manner whatsoever and she probably thought she was being helpful.

She also probably recently gave birth to a child or is about to. At least she responded while they are still on break. You could have gotten the "I'm out of the office until the Xth" email.

Just an update.. I heard back from Ms. Lopez and she assured me that I will be fine waiting to hear from other schools before paying my deposit. The class has never been overfilled before April 15th, but if for some reason it does then the university has a plan. As everyone mentioned, they cannot force anyone to accept an offer before the April 15th deadline. I most definitely feel better knowing I have it in writing and she even encouraged me to wait to hear from other programs.

I read in last year's thread that they accepted about 160 initially, however, everyone didn't accept. So if for some miracle we all accept by/before April 15th, then they'll take us and we'll get bigger classrooms I suppose. :D

Just an update.. I heard back from Ms. Lopez and she assured me that I will be fine waiting to hear from other schools before paying my deposit. The class has never been overfilled before April 15th, but if for some reason it does then the university has a plan. As everyone mentioned, they cannot force anyone to accept an offer before the April 15th deadline. I most definitely feel better knowing I have it in writing and she even encouraged me to wait to hear from other programs.

I read in last year's thread that they accepted about 160 initially, however, everyone didn't accept. So if for some miracle we all accept by/before April 15th, then they'll take us and we'll get bigger classrooms I suppose. :D

class of 2020 takes over campus!

When are transcripts due because on the pre-matriculation list it says June/July but someone mentioned on the transcripts thread that they were due by Jan. 31 st.

Question for those who got rejected. When you log into the supplemental, does it say anything next to the "Decision:" box? I got a rejection but mine is blank, so I was just wondering what other people's looked like. Thanks!

Question for those who got rejected. When you log into the supplemental, does it say anything next to the "Decision:" box? I got a rejection but mine is blank, so I was just wondering what other people's looked like. Thanks!

Hey there I am a current Western U student...I definitely wouldn't rely so much on the online site. At least when I applied they were always delayed in updating it. For instance, they had received my GRE scores even though it never really said they were received on the online system. It is more reliable to go by whatever emails/phone calls etc you receive.

Was told that there were about 206~ students placed on the wait list... Really hope the list moves this year.. fingers crossed.

Was told that there were about 206~ students placed on the wait list... Really hope the list moves this year.. fingers crossed.
That is a lot!!! I thought 300+ people had interviews this year, so this means only a few got rejections?? I really hope too...