Western c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was told that there were about 206~ students placed on the wait list... Really hope the list moves this year.. fingers crossed.
That's a lot more people than I expected :\ Well, maybe it'll be less since not everyone will accept the alternate form because they got accepted to other schools. I do hope the list will move fast this year. I really love the school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I'm pretty sure you are either accepted, rejected, or an alternate (which is kind of the same as a waitlist).

Ok cuz some schools use the term waitlist, some use alternate.. So I just don't get why all schools don't just use the same term. Oh well..

Has anyone from the waitlist been offered an acceptance yet?

Does any current students know how well the wait list moves? And how much time they give you to answer them back if offered a spot? I'm just wondering in case of a missed phone call (or do they email instead?).

Reactions: 1 user
Does any current students know how well the wait list moves? And how much time they give you to answer them back if offered a spot? I'm just wondering in case of a missed phone call (or do they email instead?).
No idea, but I'm sure they'd be happy to answer those questions if you called.

Just emailed to remove myself from the waitlist. Good luck everyone!

I was on the waitlist last year. I feel like for my year the list moved a lot. There was also someone in my class that got accepted orientation week so that can definitely happen. That being said it really does vary every year. My year it moved a lot but I know some other years it barely did. Definitely hang in there though and don't get discouraged. Last year I could have sworn I wouldn't be called off and then I was emailed a couple weeks after April 15th :). Oh and yeah they email you, unless its changed :)

Reactions: 3 users
Is there a teaching hospital at Western? How do students typically get pre-clinical/clinical experience?

Is there a teaching hospital at Western? How do students typically get pre-clinical/clinical experience?
There isn't a teaching hospital in the traditional sense. I know they do have hospital on campus (that used to be a Banefield?) that I'm sure students can go and observe/have rounds. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure you go off campus for your clinical year.

I'm not a student so I'm not entirely sure everything is correct, but this is what I have read/researched. I'm sure if you go back through this post or look at a previous year's, a current student may have posted something about this.

Members don't see this ad :)
There isn't a teaching hospital in the traditional sense. I know they do have hospital on campus (that used to be a Banefield?) that I'm sure students can go and observe/have rounds. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure you go off campus for your clinical year.

I'm not a student so I'm not entirely sure everything is correct, but this is what I have read/researched. I'm sure if you go back through this post or look at a previous year's, a current student may have posted something about this.
We have an on campus hospital in which first and second years do wellness rotations. There's also a mobile spay/neuter clinic that we do rotations with, and then we rotate at Mt Sac for livestock and equine and then there's a behaviour rotation as well, which is on campus. For third and fourth year we rotate at private practices and universities mainly in the surrounding area.
The on campus hospital currently houses our internal medicine rotation for third year, which is a really great rotation. Rumor is they're getting rid of it and making it another wellness rotation, which would be a real shame.

Reactions: 1 users
We have an on campus hospital in which first and second years do wellness rotations. There's also a mobile spay/neuter clinic that we do rotations with, and then we rotate at Mt Sac for livestock and equine and then there's a behaviour rotation as well, which is on campus. For third and fourth year we rotate at private practices and universities mainly in the surrounding area.
The on campus hospital currently houses our internal medicine rotation for third year, which is a really great rotation. Rumor is they're getting rid of it and making it another wellness rotation, which would be a real shame.
Would you have preferred going to a school with a full teaching hospital?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Would you have preferred going to a school with a full teaching hospital?

I don't think the teaching hospital makes a significant difference personally. I would have preferred going to a cheaper school.

does anybody know anything about the waitlist whether it is moving or not???

really nervous and hoping for the best

does anybody know anything about the waitlist whether it is moving or not???

really nervous and hoping for the best
I'm wondering the same thing about the wait list. I know the Dean personally picks the class, so maybe it will take a while before waitlisted people hear anything.

I'm hoping to get off the waitlist. I would love to come here!

I'm wondering the same thing about the wait list. I know the Dean personally picks the class, so maybe it will take a while before waitlisted people hear anything.

I'm hoping to get off the waitlist. I would love to come here!

I really want to come here too hopefully we both get off the waitlist and everything works out ugh I'm hoping so hard

No news from the waitlist here :grumpy:. Some of the other threads said they're waiting to contact people from other schools because the 15th is when acceptances had to be post marked by.. maybe this is the case here too?? Not really sure.

I found out the other school I'm waitlisted is not calling people off since the class is full. Western is my only shot now :nailbiting:. I hope we'll have an update from the school soon about the alternate list!

Reactions: 2 users
I just hope if the class is full, or once it's full, they send out an email to the rest of alternates to let us know.

I guess waitlisted students won't hear anything until after next Friday the 29th. :dead: More waiting. I'm hoping there will be a good few seats that are still open for some of us alternates....

Last edited:
I guess waitlisted students won't hear anything antil after this Friday the 29th. :dead: More waiting. I'm hoping there will be a good few seats that are still open for some of us alternates....
Ugh this is nerve racking haven't we waited long enough?

Ugh this is nerve racking haven't we waited long enough?

At least I can stop checking my email every minute for the next few days :p

Edit: Ehh scratch that. For some reason, I thought tomorrow was the 29th, but that's next week. I guess I'm just too anxious to find out :confused:

Just officially gave up my seat. Good luck to all of you ❤️

Reactions: 4 users
At least I can stop checking my email every minute for the next few days :p

Edit: Ehh scratch that. For some reason, I thought tomorrow was the 29th, but that's next week. I guess I'm just too anxious to find out :confused:
Mrs. Karen Hutton-Lopez sent an e-mail to students who are on the alternate list. I think it is very helpful but I am still very nervous.

Hi guys.. I gave up my spot as well. Good luck to all of you, I hope one of you gets it!

I received the email but already chose a school months ago and they forgot to take me off the list. So I just officially gave up my alternate seat so hopefully that opens a spot up for someone else <3 good luck and congrats everyone!

I received the email but already chose a school months ago and they forgot to take me off the list. So I just officially gave up my alternate seat so hopefully that opens a spot up for someone else <3 good luck and congrats everyone!

Hey! I was just wondering if you were willing to share what your "experience background" was? I know Western tries to fill their vacant positions with alternates that had similar qualities, so I was just curious what qualities they were looking to fill! If you don't want to share that is totally fine! I just figured it couldn't hurt to ask! Congrats on getting into your other school :)

You received the general FAQ email or an email offering you a seat?

Has anyone off the waitlist heard? I know yesterday was supposed to be the first day.

Has anyone off the waitlist heard? I know yesterday was supposed to be the first day.
Were they actually going to call people yesterday or was it just the first day they were going through the pool?

Were they actually going to call people yesterday or was it just the first day they were going through the pool?

My impression from the email was that they would just be starting to go through the pool, if there are seats available. The waiting stinks but, the fact that they didn't send out an email that the class is full, I'm taking as a good sign.

Anxiously waiting too, best of luck to everyone on the waitlist! Remember, there's still hope :)

I got an email today that I'm accepted!! What a good feeling!! Ahhhh

I received an email as well! Super excited but my fiancé not so much since its a huge move and we live in Ohio.

Woot! Do u know what your going to do yet? If so how are you going to transition?

Woot! Do u know what your going to do yet? If so how are you going to transition?
Not sure yet. I'm top of the OSU wait list, but I just got an email that they haven't called anyone off yet because the acceptances were higher than normal:-/

I have been called off the waitlist! I'm going to vet school! SO excited.... though in my hast I didn't read the email correctly about the student email so now I'm on with tech support so access my email lol....

Congrats to everyone who has been called off the alternate list so far! I'm so jealous of ya'll :happy:! Does anyone know if they've notified everyone needed to fill the class already? Or are they still sending emails out?

Got the email today! My fiancé and I were in Universal Studios and I started screaming and jumping up in down in line! We got some weird looks haha, but I am just so excited that I don't care haha!!!

I have been called off the waitlist! I'm going to vet school! SO excited.... though in my hast I didn't read the email correctly about the student email so now I'm on with tech support so access my email lol....
Im not able to access the email either, but Karen sent me an email with all the links needed for deposits and everything. Were you ever able to access your .westernu.edu account?

Has anyone received an acceptance email today? Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted so far...but I'm hoping there's still hope for the rest of us still on the alternate list.

Has anyone received an acceptance email today? Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted so far...but I'm hoping there's still hope for the rest of us still on the alternate list.
I'm sure more people will hear. When I received the email, it said I had until May 13 to accept and send in my deposit. So I'm sure not every student will accept their spot, as they may have already heard from other schools.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone! Just out of curiosity, for the students who have gotten called off the wait list, what are your backgrounds like in terms of the way the Dean selects students? And btw congratulations to all who have been called off the WL!!! And for us who are still on it, don't lose hope :love:

Hey everyone! I was just wondering where/ when people were getting their Rabies vx? And if anyone's insurance covered it? I've been told my insurance won't cover it, so I'm trying to shop around for a place that will give me the best price, as I don't really have $800-$900 for vaccines right now haha.