Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheshyre

Hooray Bikes!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's about time to get the new season's thread started! Congratulations to all the successful applicants of the 2010-2011 cycle, to Western and otherwise. To those who haven't gotten where they want to go - keep pushing. It's not over until it's over. We're rooting for you.

For those of you about to jump into the 2011-2012 application cycle, best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

So early! The 2012 application hasn't even opened yet! These normally start a month from now lol

So early! The 2012 application hasn't even opened yet! These normally start a month from now lol

Yeah, posting on the 2010-2011 thread has slowed down though. I figure it's like popcorn in microwave.

I hate burned popcorn.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to all those applying this year.

Hello guys. I'm set to start writing apps for osteopathic programs soon and I was trying to figure out more about Western U and what it has to offer its students. What makes it different from Touro CA or any of the other osteopathic medical school? I guess I'm curious about the types of activities they encourage their year 1 and 2 students (e.g. volunteer opportunities, outreach, etc) to take part in. I like the fact that it's in California, but I'd like to know if the program is right for me. I've done some research on the website, but if a current student could let share their own experience or if they could even direct me to a particular portion of the website that answers some of my questions, I'd be very grateful. Thank you.

Does this thread also include COMP-NW in Lebanon Oregon? Should there be a sub-thread for the second campus?

dsoz

Hello guys. I'm set to start writing apps for osteopathic programs soon and I was trying to figure out more about Western U and what it has to offer its students. What makes it different from Touro CA or any of the other osteopathic medical school? I guess I'm curious about the types of activities they encourage their year 1 and 2 students (e.g. volunteer opportunities, outreach, etc) to take part in. I like the fact that it's in California, but I'd like to know if the program is right for me. I've done some research on the website, but if a current student could let share their own experience or if they could even direct me to a particular portion of the website that answers some of my questions, I'd be very grateful. Thank you.

Hey there, I'm a first year med student and I can tell you that there are a TON of activities available to students... Anything from tutoring high schoolers to doing health screenings to volunteering in clinics (we even have a student-run clinic in Montclair) to shadowing physicians and even international trips. A lot of my classmates are going on medical missions to Spain or Honduras this summer. We also have a class built into our curriculum called "Service Learning" in which we are required to get out and go do things in the community. I can't speak for Touro or any other school, but I can tell you WesternU does not suffer from a lack of activities available to students.

To add to what was mentioned before, COMP has great rotations sites and will definately be a positive if you are plannnig on doing residency in SoCal.

Things Western has to offer it's first and second-year students:

- Excellent clinical skills education
- Mandatory volunteer work in the community (service learning, as mentioned)*
- Many active campus clubs which can help you arrange shadowing and other opportunities
- Inter-professional education (discussions with students from other colleges)*
- Case-based approach to some of the classes
- Great OMM department, if that's your thing*

* = Great to write about for applications but are sort of a waste of time when you'd rather be (and should be) studying for core classes.

Hi everyone,

I know this question gets really old and redundant, but I would like to know what you guys think my chances are of getting into western with these stats. Thanks any help is appreciated.
I am from UCR
My Cum GPA is a 3.42
my SciGPA is a 3.5
my MCAT is a 23R(PS 9 V 6 BS 8) :(
My EC activities include:
Currently I work as an EMT and have been doing so for the past 4 months
On campus Tutor for the subjects of General Chem, OChem, Biochem for 3 years
Supplemental Instructions leader for Biochem course offered at my university for 1 year
I was the volunteer and fundraising chair for a organization on campus
I was health science mentor
I was in Alpha Phi Omega Community service fraternity
3 years of Organic Chem research
1 year as an intern for Clinical Care extender( hospital experience)
1 year Intermural basketball
was placed on dean's honor list 6 different quarters and chancellors list

Hi everyone,

I know this question gets really old and redundant, but I would like to know what you guys think my chances are of getting into western with these stats. Thanks any help is appreciated.
I am from UCR
My Cum GPA is a 3.42
my SciGPA is a 3.5
Supplemental Instructions leader for Biochem course offered at my university for 1 year

The GPA is okay a little below but fine if you're applying early. The problem is your MCAT. I think even with all of the extracurriculars that MCAT score will hinder your application at western and pretty much all med schools. Western is one of the harder schools to get into and usually has very high averages so my suggestion is to retake the MCAT and try to score around 27.

Hi everyone,

I am from UCR
My Cum GPA is a 3.42
my SciGPA is a 3.5

Your MCAT will hold you back tremendously, especially since your verbal is below a 7, if your heart is set on COMP I would retake that mcat, otherwise I would apply early and see where else I get interviews at, good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Went to the last preview day at Western. Definitely my top choice so far! Has a great campus and everyone I met there (faculty and staff) were great representatives. The area immediately around the campus isn't the best if you think you'll be surrounded by glamorous SoCal, but it is relatively close to a lot of things. However, I wouldn't expect to have a great deal of time anyway :) Good luck everyone!

Your MCAT will hold you back tremendously, especially since your verbal is below a 7, if your heart is set on COMP I would retake that mcat, otherwise I would apply early and see where else I get interviews at, good luck.

I agree fully with wolverine. Your application looks decent - GPA are a tiny smidge on the low side, but it shouldn't sink your application. I'm also going to assume that you've improved as you progressed through school. If so, you don't need to worry about GPA. You've got plenty of extracurriculars - that's great. If your LORs are fine, then all you need to work on is the MCAT.

Unfortunately... I'm going to be blunt here. A 23 MCAT is probably going to murder your application. The good thing is that you have time right now to fix that. Unlike MD applications, applying a little bit later in the cycle for DO isn't as harmful to your application. Also, you can fill out your AACOMAS primary and submit it the moment your MCAT comes in. Or... somebody correct me if this is wrong... I believe you can state on your AACOMAS that you have a new MCAT score on the way.

As far as studying for the MCAT goes, I'd suggest preparing for 2 months. Check out the MCAT forum here on SDN to get some idea of how other people have prepared. My advice is to buy the AAMC Online Practice Exams and some materials/exams from Kaplan (my favorite) or Princeton Review and Examcrackers (also good, but different - every company has it's own feel and focus so you need to go to the bookstore and figure out which one fits your learning style). You need to do practice problems over and over and over. Make a test rotation - go through all the exams, then go back to the beginning and redo them. If you're not getting a 42 on your practice exams, there are still concepts you can learn from them. It doesn't have to be grueling - spending two hours every day for two month will give you a decent preparation because, I assume, you've already studied for the exam once. Check out the link in my signature for more detailed miscellaneous advice on the MCAT if you need more.

Thanks for the advice guys, but I have to really decide within the next week or so between going to the caribbeans this august or deferring my application and re-applying for DO schools and see what happens.

I also forgot to mention that I hold two degrees: a BA in Econimcs & BA in Biology if that is any help

It's about time to get the new season's thread started! Congratulations to all the successful applicants of the 2010-2011 cycle, to Western and otherwise. To those who haven't gotten where they want to go - keep pushing. It's not over until it's over. We're rooting for you.

For those of you about to jump into the 2011-2012 application cycle, best of luck!

There's another thread started for 2011-2012, too, just in case you want to follow it as well. I'm trying to keep my eye on as many threads as possible!

Thanks for the advice guys, but I have to really decide within the next week or so between going to the caribbeans this august or deferring my application and re-applying for DO schools and see what happens.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you, so I'm just going to talk about your chances in as blunt a manner as possible.

If you don't increase your MCAT, you are done with DO applications. It is very unlikely that you'll be accepted with a 23.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you, so I'm just going to talk about your chances in as blunt a manner as possible.

If you don't increase your MCAT, you are done with DO applications. It is very unlikely that you'll be accepted with a 23.

You make it sound so final... Yes you are at a disadvantage, but "done with DO applications?" Look at last years underdog thread, people got in with 21, 22, 23's. While it is indeed VERY HARD, it's possible. I would retake the MCAT yes, but nothing is impossible.

Good attitude James! It's not a great score, but people definitely get in with even lower scores! Re-take it if you can so your chances increase, but don't give up!

Ouch Cheshyre, a little harsh, MCATs are not the end-all/be-all. My MCATs aren't stellar either, but I'd like to think they would look at my GPA, ECs, leadership experience and other accomplishments considering it takes more than a good test taker to be a good physician. Keep your head up Sumo12, even tho we may be competing for a spot in school I still wish you the best of luck.

Thanks everyone, i am definitely goin to retake the MCATs best Of luck to everyone as well

How do they look at the MCAT scores? Hard cutoffs for subsections? I don't recall seeing much about it on their site.

How do they look at the MCAT scores? Hard cutoffs for subsections? I don't recall seeing much about it on their site.

the general rule is that your score on each section should be above 7, but that doesn't mean you'll be getting accepted anywhere with a 21. you should also know that Western is one of the most selective DO schools out there so I would set my goal at 30 and up personally.

the general rule is that your score on each section should be above 7, but that doesn't mean you'll be getting accepted anywhere with a 21. you should also know that Western is one of the most selective DO schools out there so I would set my goal at 30 and up personally.

Thanks. Mine's an unbalanced 28, with a 7VR. We'll see how it goes.

Why would you have to reapply for DO next cycle? Why don't you book an MCAT date for July now, and study your butt off for the next month and half or so? Just please don't rush into going to the Caribbean. I urge you to do as much research as possible on the Caribbean schools and think about that decision very carefully. It's definitely not for everyone. Your application is otherwise strong. With a 23, you could get into a DO school. It just might not be Western.

Western U is my top choice. I love So Cal, so I know I'll be happy staying down here... plus I want to do my residency in So Cal.
After reading about all the positive things current med students say about Western, I KNOW I would choose Western above all the others.

With that said, please let me know where I stand...

Science GPA 3.66
Cumulative GPA 3.63
Waiting on MCAT scores (should get it in a week)

ECs...
Emergency Room Volunteer - 50 hours SO FAR (I'm still volunteering and will be for the next year)

D.O. shadowing - 40 hours SO FAR

High school pre-health advisor - I just started planning info sessions for high school students who are interested in medicine. I haven't done any yet because I just came up with the idea a couple months ago. I plan to go around high schools in the Fall and talk to them about how to get into medicine.

Stylist/contributor for a fashion/arts/culture magazine for my undergrad school - 2 years

School radio station DJ - 2 years

Volunteer English Tutor for foreign student - .5 year

Chancellor's Scholar

Work...
Tutor for the past year

Various jobs throughout college

Western U is my top choice. I love So Cal, so I know I'll be happy staying down here... plus I want to do my residency in So Cal.
After reading about all the positive things current med students say about Western, I KNOW I would choose Western above all the others.

With that said, please let me know where I stand...

Science GPA 3.66
Cumulative GPA 3.63
Waiting on MCAT scores (should get it in a week)

ECs...
Emergency Room Volunteer - 50 hours SO FAR (I'm still volunteering and will be for the next year)

D.O. shadowing - 40 hours SO FAR

High school pre-health advisor - I just started planning info sessions for high school students who are interested in medicine. I haven't done any yet because I just came up with the idea a couple months ago. I plan to go around high schools in the Fall and talk to them about how to get into medicine.

Stylist/contributor for a fashion/arts/culture magazine for my undergrad school - 2 years

School radio station DJ - 2 years

Volunteer English Tutor for foreign student - .5 year

Chancellor's Scholar

Work...
Tutor for the past year

Various jobs throughout college

You would be competitive, now let keep :xf: for your mcat score

Got my MCAT...
30 M
Congrats on getting a solid MCAT score! Was the score mostly balanced? Hopefully all three sections were in the 9-11 range for you. But regardless, you should be a fine applicant for Western U!

Good luck on applying and apply early with good solid essays that are genuine and true. The interview is pretty laid back but just know the reasons on why you wanna become a doctor, why you like the school/location, and why osteopath. :luck::luck: to you this application cycle~!

Congrats on getting a solid MCAT score! Was the score mostly balanced? Hopefully all three sections were in the 9-11 range for you. But regardless, you should be a fine applicant for Western U!

Good luck on applying and apply early with good solid essays that are genuine and true. The interview is pretty laid back but just know the reasons on why you wanna become a doctor, why you like the school/location, and why osteopath. :luck::luck: to you this application cycle~!

Thanks!!
Score breakdown:
PS/VR/BS = 9/10/11

What's their screening minimums to get a secondary? Because when I called she gave me a confusing answer of 24 or 9 in each subsection?

What's their screening minimums to get a secondary? Because when I called she gave me a confusing answer of 24 or 9 in each subsection?

Yeah, I can see why you were confused because that just doesn't make mathematical sense, lol. How did you respond when she said that?

Ouch Cheshyre, a little harsh, MCATs are not the end-all/be-all. My MCATs aren't stellar either, but I'd like to think they would look at my GPA, ECs, leadership experience and other accomplishments considering it takes more than a good test taker to be a good physician. Keep your head up Sumo12, even tho we may be competing for a spot in school I still wish you the best of luck.

I'm not trying to be harsh - sorry if it comes off that way. Hm. I must've been feeling pretty irritated that day. My apologies to all.

The chances are still slim, but yeah, I would agree now that Sumo has a chance of getting into a DO school. If you can afford the cash, it won't hurt.

EDIT:
IMO, here are the criteria, in order of importance from the perspective of admissions committees, for getting into medical school (DO or MD). Again, this is my opinion it's not set in stone. Feel free to chime in on this.
1) GPA
2) MCAT
3) LOR. Good LOR, especially from someone with some influence in the medical realm, can help. A bad LOR, IMO, will ruin your app. They gave you the chance to pick whoever you wanted for your LORs and you chose somebody who doesn't like you. Doesn't look good. Side note - don't do something stupid. Your LOR writers are putting their reputation on the line for you. Do something bad (like lie on your application) and it looks bad on them too.
4) Clinical Experience (volunteering w/ patient exposure, shadowing, working in the field, etc). I would say that having a lot of this doesn't necessarily increase your chances of getting in, but not having this will be really detrimental... plus, if you have no idea what it actually means to be a doctor, you need to rethink your career goals.
5) Volunteering, Research. Long term (>1 year duration) is better. Short term volunteering makes it look like you were trying to pad your application... which you probably were. Volunteering does NOT have to be medical. I like to cook so I ended up volunteering for a while at a local soup kitchen. It was awesome and way better than fighting other pre-meds for spots at the local hospital. Research is more important for MD applications. I've been told by a DO admissions officer that they simply treat it as another extracurricular at their school.
6) Extracurricular Activities. Med schools like to see well-rounded students, but, they've been known to take bookworms fairly frequently as well. In any case, it can only help to be good at something. It may be the source of a leadership role and you can talk about it during interviews.
7) Personal Statement. As long as you don't write something insane, it's fine. There's no objective way to grade these.

Last edited:

Gotta say.. 9 in each subsection is pretty strict... I got an 8 in one of my sections :'(

Gotta say.. 9 in each subsection is pretty strict... I got an 8 in one of my sections :'(

As someone who received a secondary last year....9 in each section is NOT necessary...though a 24 is, and would be logical.

Is anyone going to preview day 07/16? :)

Hi everyone,

I am from UCR
My Cum GPA is a 3.42
my SciGPA is a 3.5

I'd re-apply DO if I were you...
You were a tutor for gchem, ochem, biochem for your school for 3 years...you should be able to get at least 10's on the science sections

go buy EK 101 for verbal

Does anybody know the prompts for the secondary? If any?

Does anybody know the prompts for the secondary? If any?

I haven't gotten an secondary yet, but from reading through last year's thread here's what the prompts were:

Prompt 1: While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?

Prompt 2: What criteria did you use to select a medical school and why does WesternU/COMP meet your high level of expectation?

Prompt 3: Describe your participation in community service activities in a medically underserved or economically disadvantaged community.

Prompt 4: Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in the Pacific Northwest appeals to you.

- limit comments to one page per essay

I haven't gotten an secondary yet, but from reading through last year's thread here's what the prompts were:

Prompt 1: While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?

Prompt 2: What criteria did you use to select a medical school and why does WesternU/COMP meet your high level of expectation?

Prompt 3: Describe your participation in community service activities in a medically underserved or economically disadvantaged community.

Prompt 4: Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in the Pacific Northwest appeals to you.

Is prompt 4 included in the secondary for the pomona campus? I didn't apply to the Pacific NW campus and have no interest in it...

Any idea if these are single-spaced or double-spaced??

Try ATSU/SOMA or ATSU/KCOM, according to their admission people, the average MCAT is 26 on both campuses. 23 is truly within reach IMO

Has anyone received a secondary? What's taking them so long?! I've heard nothing since my AACOMAS was verified.

Got the secondary today.

What do you think about this prompt? "Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in Southern California appeals to you." I can't think of anything because I am from Georgia. I know nothing about Southern California.