Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It seems that a very high percentage of people who receive interviews also get accepted. Can anyone confirm this?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems that a very high percentage of people who receive interviews also get accepted. Can anyone confirm this?

well they interview around 600 and accept around 400ish by the end of the cycle to fill a class of 228. I was one of the unlucky few last year that got put on the normal alternate list and never got the call. but i think the odds are in your favor. just have a stellar interview and rock that MMI. Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when the 1/12 decisions will be made?

no! I interviewed 1/12 as well and still have heard nothing. I have emailed the school and they just say they can not release any information yet from that interview date. Have you tried calling? I think I am going to call the school because they said we were supposed to hear within 2 weeks of our interview date.

Has anyone heard when the admissions committee meets next? I didn't hear it mentioned at the interview last Saturday but I may have missed a few minutes at the end of the day...they did say 10-15 business days to hear a decision but I'm curious if they meet regularly on certain days of the week to make those decisions.

Does anyone know when the 1/12 decisions will be made?

no! I interviewed 1/12 as well and still have heard nothing. I have emailed the school and they just say they can not release any information yet from that interview date. Have you tried calling? I think I am going to call the school because they said we were supposed to hear within 2 weeks of our interview date.

I also interviewed on 1/12. I called last week and said that letters are "anticipated" to be sent this week =( ...I have been anxiously waiting too!!!

I want to call today but I guess I should be patient....the waiting sucks!! But good luck, hopefully we will all get great news this week!

I called and their office is closed today for a staff retreat. Maybe tomorrow!

I also interviewed on 1/12. I called last week and said that letters are "anticipated" to be sent this week =( ...I have been anxiously waiting too!!!

so, does anyone have any idea how often the committee meets and if they consider one block of interviewees at a time or multiple groups (i.e. do you think the decisions for the 1/12 interviewees is grouped with the 1/28 interviewees)?

any info is appreciated!

so, does anyone have any idea how often the committee meets and if they consider one block of interviewees at a time or multiple groups (i.e. do you think the decisions for the 1/12 interviewees is grouped with the 1/28 interviewees)?

any info is appreciated!

Hey VenTeaLate...to my understanding...they meet every 2 weeks? I am not sure if they group it with multiple groups. There were about 40 applicants when we interviewed so I am hoping that they do it one group at a time...but I'm not sure.

The 1/12 interviewees were suppose to hear back within 10-15 days...it is now day 21 =( so who knows...maybe they will meet with the 1/28ers...anyways...:luck: to us all!

Hey VenTeaLate...to my understanding...they meet every 2 weeks? I am not sure if they group it with multiple groups. There were about 40 applicants when we interviewed so I am hoping that they do it one group at a time...but I'm not sure.

The 1/12 interviewees were suppose to hear back within 10-15 days...it is now day 21 =( so who knows...maybe they will meet with the 1/28ers...anyways...:luck: to us all!

Hey PolyDancer- good luck to you guys from 1/12! They told us 10-15 days as well but I remember they specified 10-15 BUSINESS days so I guess technically today is day 16 for you guys (and only day 5 for us). If they stay on schedule I would guess they could have mailed your decisions out yesterday (day 15) and you could get it any day now...maybe!? :xf:

Wishful thinking on my part that they may have considered us all together and then mailed out the whole batch this week. I bet you will hear in the next few days. Positive thoughts!

Interviewed here 2/2. This school impressed me. The facilities were pretty nice, and I actually do like the curriculum. P/F grading and 6 weeks to study for boards made Western more appealing as well. Crossing my fingers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed here 2/2. This school impressed me. The facilities were pretty nice, and I actually do like the curriculum. P/F grading and 6 weeks to study for boards made Western more appealing as well. Crossing my fingers.

Good luck and congrats on CCOM, which is a great program as well.

you received your decision letter?? anyone else?

ahhhhh!!! im out of town!!! =((

:D:D:D:DUpdate: Woohoo! Had my dad open the mail for me. Accepted =)))) Now, for those that were accepted to TUCOM and CCOM...why choose Western over TUCOM-CA and CCOM? gahh I have a lot of soul searching! But Western is definitely my #1 right now <3 <3 <3 ELATED!

Good luck to everybody!!!

Last edited:
My fiance opened her letter from Western today and was accepted! A long wait but totally worth it! Good luck all, I'm sure I'll meet many of you who decide to matriculate as we'll be living in Pomona!

Last edited:
My fiance opened her letter from Western today and was accepted! A long wait but totally worth it! Good luck all, I'm sure I'll meet many of you who decide to matriculate as we'll be living in Pomona!

Hey there, thats great news for your fiance!! I loved Western and hope to hear good news in about a few weeks or so. How long was your fiance's wait from the interview?

she interviewed 1/12 but it took longer for her to hear an answer than they verbally promised during the interview day.

For those accepted 1/12 and just received their letters....is the deposit due March 1st of Feb 15th? On the interview day they said 1,000 is due on Feb 15th and the second 1000 is due March 1st. Can somebody please clarify this??? Thanks and congrats!

Her letter read that she had to pay $2000 by March 1st.

ahhhhh!!! im out of town!!! =((

:D:D:D:DUpdate: Woohoo! Had my dad open the mail for me. Accepted =)))) Now, for those that were accepted to TUCOM and CCOM...why choose Western over TUCOM-CA and CCOM? gahh I have a lot of soul searching! But Western is definitely my #1 right now <3 <3 <3 ELATED!

Good luck to everybody!!!

It was tough. I was accepted to CCOM and met a couple of CCOM students who were from CA and chose CCOM over Western.

I really miss home and being closer to my family is important these days. I felt that both schools were comparable, but location was a kicker for me.

And happier students make for gunnerific students. :p trolololol kidding notrly

she interviewed 1/12 but it took longer for her to hear an answer than they verbally promised during the interview day.

ok so two people from 1/12 have heard back...congrats you guys!

aaaaaaanyone else get some news!? :sleep:

Anyone know if they're done with invites? :(
I just got an interview invite! It was nice to get a phone invite. :)

Going down March 17th. I was offered March 1 but I had a previous commitment

I just got an interview invite! It was nice to get a phone invite. :)

Going down March 17th. I was offered March 1 but I had a previous commitment
Congrats! Would you share when you were complete?

Ahhhh I'm in the same boat (complete in late August) but my LOR arrived in mid Oct. I have similar stats too. Anyone else still waiting for an interview? :xf:

no word yet! arrrrrrrrrrrgggg. It is so strange that more people haven't responded from the 1/12 group...

To be fair....those that interviewed on 1/12 weren't very vocal on this thread to begin with...I think I was one of the few that used this thread :)

Good luck VenTeaLate! I hope you hear good news soon!:xf:

Good luck and congrats on CCOM, which is a great program as well.

Thanks, it seems like it's taking forever to hear back.

I see you also got a CCOM acceptance as well. What a difficult decision that must've been to choose between two great schools!

Interviewing here 3/1.. kind of late. Any advice for the MMI?

I'll be interviewing March 1st (O_O). Does anyone have advice on how to prepare for Western's interview process? Thanks!

Last edited:
I'll be interviewing March 1st (O_O). Does anyone have advice on how to prepare for Western's interview process? Thanks!

Congrats! Be yourself! =) ..They try to keep it conversational and they also might ask the standard questions. Read the Interview thread on SDN and there really isn't any way to prepare for MMI..if you google what an MMI is...you might find examples just so you're familiar with what it is...but not much preparation. You just have to be yourself and be relaxed! It was actually pretty fun! :luck:

To be fair....those that interviewed on 1/12 weren't very vocal on this thread to begin with...I think I was one of the few that used this thread :)

Good luck VenTeaLate! I hope you hear good news soon!:xf:

Ha, I guess you are right. Thanks! I hope so too. Congrats to you- such a great school :)

Here is a spread sheet that compares match lists, GPA/MCAT scores of matriculates, COMLEX scores, and other types of data. It includes:

-2011-2008 Match lists for many osteopathic schools
- comparison of match results between schools
-GPA/MCAT scores, a profiles of average matriculating students compared between all Osteopathic schools,
-COMLEX scores for some schools
- You'll also find comparison of tuition / graduate indebtedness between schools

https://sites.google.com/site/osteopathicreference/home

(I can't host the spread sheet on the forums because of size limits)

I apologize in advance that I will be mass posting this through out the forums this afternoon but many people have been looking for this data and I want the to be able to find it!

Clouisek congrats on the interview, would you mind sharing when your file was complete?

Thanks.
Complete 11/11/11 ( :laugh: )
Invite 2/6 by phone.. couldn't make the 2/18 interview date
OOS

Did anyone from interview day 1/28 hear back yet?
Nothing yet. The closer it gets to hearing back the harder and more stressful the waiting becomes. :( This Friday is our 15th business day that we've been waiting. So, I take it we should be hearing back next week... Any idea how long other people had to wait?

Nothing yet. The closer it gets to hearing back the harder and more stressful the waiting becomes. :( This Friday is our 15th business day that we've been waiting. So, I take it we should be hearing back next week... Any idea how long other people had to wait?

I interviewed 1/12 and didn't hear back until last Saturday 2/4 = (. more than 15th business day! Good luck!

I assume Western is closed on Monday...anyone know for sure?

pretty sure the admissions office is closed, since students don't have class

I interviewed on 2/2. and haven't heard anything back. They said on 2/15 they would review our files, and it would take about 15 business days to hear a response. So I'm looking at early March hopefully.

Hey guys, I'm a first year at Western. Just wanted to chime in and say that I love it here. Good luck to all of you!:)

I also wanted to paste a PM I just sent to another person talking about how awesome our curriculum is. I had already discussed the HD streaming and audio/video recording of all the lectures in a previous message....

"For every lecture, we start out with a list of "objectives" from which test questions are drawn. This prevents instructors from going on tangents. Usually, each lecture has a powerpoint with objecteves, a word document with more detail than what is covered in lecture, and assigned reading. It's not just whatever the instructor feels like lecturing on that day. So what I usually do is go over the powerpoints and word document before class and maybe once a week I'll go into the reading. We have deans of pre-clinical education that review the lectures in detail. Even our test dates are co-ordinated between all our courses so we're not overburdened. I mean it's really well thought out. We have "clicker questions" that sometimes are worth points (always announced beforehand if they are) to make sure both the students and the instructors are on the ball. Usually before the tests we get a review powerpoint that highlights what we should pay particular attention to."

Last edited:
Just got in!! VERY happy. Interviewed 1/28...I got a phone call and I imagine the letters will be mailed out today if they weren't already sent. Fingers crossed for all the great people I met that day. News should be here soon!