Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats ventealate!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Just got in!! VERY happy. Interviewed 1/28...I got a phone call and I imagine the letters will be mailed out today if they weren't already sent. Fingers crossed for all the great people I met that day. News should be here soon!
Congratulations VenTeaLate!! Thats such wonderful news!! Im wondering: do you know if all accepted applicants are supposed to receive a phone call in addition to their acceptance letter?

Thanks!

Congratulations VenTeaLate!! Thats such wonderful news!! Im wondering: do you know if all accepted applicants are supposed to receive a phone call in addition to their acceptance letter?

Thanks!

Thanks PolyDancer! Can't wait to meet you at Western! Pretty sure I will be attending :)

Kitkat888, the answer is no, most people will get acceptances via snail mail. The only reason I got a phone call is because I had a verifiable time-sensitive reason to know whether I was accepted or not. The norm is to get your admissions decision (whether it is good or bad) in the mail. Good luck to you!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone, just FYI. The last day for interviews is March 17th! I emailed Western today to ask the status of my application and they offered me an interview! if you have not heard back from this school yet, I recommend emailing like I did. It might give your application that little push it needed, just like mine! Any other 3/17 interviewees? Let me know!

hey everyone, just FYI. The last day for interviews is March 17th! I emailed Western today to ask the status of my application and they offered me an interview! if you have not heard back from this school yet, I recommend emailing like I did. It might give your application that little push it needed, just like mine! Any other 3/17 interviewees? Let me know!

I totally agree!!! It wasn't until I e-mailed my counselor that I was offered an invite! Be proactive =) :luck: everybody!

Interviewing on the 17th as well! I'm a bit worried though since I've heard they don't accept as much from this pool of candidates since it's already this late in the cycle and the class may just as well be almost full.

awesome! I look forward to meeting you. Good luck at the interview! And i worry about the same thing. However, looking at it positively, if there are 5 spots left (this is just a random number) then they will have to offer those 5 spots to someone from our interview group. There is no "lets wait and see if next week's interviewees are better". Also, hopefully by this point in the cycle some other candidates have already turned down Western for another school, so more spots will open up. I could be wrong, but im trying to be optimistic!

I also emailed them about my status and was offered an interview on 3/17 (last and only interview date).

Hope we're not just interviewing for the waitlist!

My application was put on hold for re-review pre-interview. I emailed Ana about the chance that any of the re-reviews would get offers for the last interview day. She stated that none of the re-reviews have actually been RE-reviewed yet. She also said that they may or may not add another interview date.

There is a small, tiny, sliver of hope, yet! :luck: :oops:

I'm at my wits end. I'm from Norcal, went to school in Socal and I really want to go to Western; I've had my eyes set on the school since I was a sophomore in college.

I called yesterday to inquire about my status and they said 'my application is still under review' and that the last day to interview was March 17th. When I came on here and saw that 4 people were offered interviews after emailing to inquire about their status, I was honestly about to cry. I've been complete since 10/24; waiting for 4 months to hear back and I've sent a letter of interest at the end of January. I've called in once before (at the beginning of January) to inquire about my status and they gave me the same response. I feel tempted to email the admissions committee and try just one more time, but I know it will just bug them and it probably won't be viewed well, especially since I called my counselor yesterday.

I'm not sure what else I can do at this point; maybe just end up going out of state to TUN or Nova. My stats aren't bad (gpa 3.39, MCAT 30) and I've had a lot of clinical and volunteer experience. My SO has matriculated here for next year, I would've really liked to be there with him :(

Hey guys, I was interviewed at Western on February 18 and we were told that more than half of the class is full. But keep in mind that the class size is 220 ( correct me if I am wrong). Last year they interviewed 550 students from an applicant pool of 3500 + and made offers to about 387 applicants.. So your chances of getting accepted after getting an interview is a little more than 70%. So hang in there and have confidence.
My application was put on hold for re-review pre-interview. I emailed Ana about the chance that any of the re-reviews would get offers for the last interview day. She stated that none of the re-reviews have actually been RE-reviewed yet. She also said that they may or may not add another interview date.

There is a small, tiny, sliver of hope, yet! :luck: :oops:

I'm at my wits end. I'm from Norcal, went to school in Socal and I really want to go to Western; I've had my eyes set on the school since I was a sophomore in college.

I called yesterday to inquire about my status and they said 'my application is still under review' and that the last day to interview was March 17th. When I came on here and saw that 4 people were offered interviews after emailing to inquire about their status, I was honestly about to cry. I've been complete since 10/24; waiting for 4 months to hear back and I've sent a letter of interest at the end of January. I've called in once before (at the beginning of January) to inquire about my status and they gave me the same response. I feel tempted to email the admissions committee and try just one more time, but I know it will just bug them and it probably won't be viewed well, especially since I called my counselor yesterday.

I'm not sure what else I can do at this point; maybe just end up going out of state to TUN or Nova. My stats aren't bad (gpa 3.39, MCAT 30) and I've had a lot of clinical and volunteer experience. My SO has matriculated here for next year, I would've really liked to be there with him :(

Why cry over this? You've already received acceptances to TUNCOM and Nova, which arguably are good and great schools, respectively. I'm sure there are many people who wish they could be in your shoes. Henderson isn't that far from CA anyway. I'm sure you and your SO can work it out just fine!

s48jet mind sharing when you were complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. I interviewed on 2/2 and received my letter today. I am one of the alternates unfortunately. I am from Florida though and I see 83% of last year's class is from Cali. So everyone who interviewed then should be on the look out! Good luck!

Hey guys. I interviewed on 2/2 and received my letter today. I am one of the alternates unfortunately. I am from Florida though and I see 83% of last year's class is from Cali. So everyone who interviewed then should be on the look out! Good luck!
I interviewed that day but havn't heard back yet. thanks for the heads-up, Knightro. Wish you the best.

I interviewed on 2/2 and was selected as an alternate :(. I am from NY, only 2% from the incoming class is from the east coast..

I was complete mid-November, but i spent about a month on my secondary, which the school says puts a delay on the reviewing process! oh well, i got an interview so im happy for now!

Thanks PolyDancer! Can't wait to meet you at Western! Pretty sure I will be attending :)

Kitkat888, the answer is no, most people will get acceptances via snail mail. The only reason I got a phone call is because I had a verifiable time-sensitive reason to know whether I was accepted or not. The norm is to get your admissions decision (whether it is good or bad) in the mail. Good luck to you!! :luck:
Thanks for the info, VenTeaLate. Congrats again on the acceptance :)
I'll keep a lookout for any mail from Western. Fingers crossed!!

II for 3/17 !! complete 2/07

FYI, another acceptance from 1/28 here
Congratulations!

Did you actually get your acceptance by mail or did you get a phone call as a result of special circumstances (like the other acceptance from 1/28 interviews)?
I called Ana and she told me that the letters are not going to be sent out until maybe next week because the person that needs to approve them before they are mailed out is out of the office. Anyone else know more about this?

Congratulations!

Did you actually get your acceptance by mail or did you get a phone call as a result of special circumstances (like the other acceptance from 1/28 interviews)?
I called Ana and she told me that the letters are not going to be sent out until maybe next week because the person that needs to approve them before they are mailed out is out of the office. Anyone else know more about this?

Thanks! Yeah, I was one of those special-circumstances people so I received a phone call, but snail mail is the norm. The letters should be coming soon. Best of luck and I hope you get accepted.

Give them a call or email to see where your at!

I have been for months.. I'll give Robin a call tomorrow to see how many spots are left. Gotta keep moving even if it means moving on.

Thanks! Yeah, I was one of those special-circumstances people so I received a phone call, but snail mail is the norm. The letters should be coming soon. Best of luck and I hope you get accepted.

FYI- update, I was a 1/28 interviewee who received an acceptance via phone call (b/c of special circumstances) but I just received my acceptance in the mail. I don't know if they mail everyone out in one big batch or on separate days...

If it is all at once then I would assume you might get yours this week in the mail. Good luck again to the rest waiting to hear.

I wish I could join the accepted group, or even the alternate group, but I just received notice today that I was rejected. Congrats to all you that received acceptances and interviews as well! Western is a great school. Looks like this app cycle is officially over for me, and good luck to all those in the class of 2016!

Does anyone know if there are anymore interviews before 3/17? I'm trying to check and see if there any openings available so I can schedule my interview earlier.

FYI- update, I was a 1/28 interviewee who received an acceptance via phone call (b/c of special circumstances) but I just received my acceptance in the mail. I don't know if they mail everyone out in one big batch or on separate days...

If it is all at once then I would assume you might get yours this week in the mail. Good luck again to the rest waiting to hear.

I just got the official letter in the mail today as well. Great way to end the cycle.

I wish I could join the accepted group, or even the alternate group, but I just received notice today that I was rejected. Congrats to all you that received acceptances and interviews as well! Western is a great school. Looks like this app cycle is officially over for me, and good luck to all those in the class of 2016!

=( So sorry to hear LasPolarBear. But hey...I interviewed at CCOM and I absolutely loved it there!!! You are in good hands =) Good luck with med school! You are gonna be a great doc!

=( So sorry to hear LasPolarBear. But hey...I interviewed at CCOM and I absolutely loved it there!!! You are in good hands =) Good luck with med school! You are gonna be a great doc!

Thanks, best of luck to you as well! I'm eager to finally move on to the next stage. Very exciting times for all of us. :thumbup:

I'll be interviewing here on the 1st.
How did you guys get from the airport to your hotel? (taxi, shuttle service?) and how much did it cost?
Also i'll be staying at the comfort Inn, and will be free all day wed. if sommeone wants to meet up.

Hey guys, anyone here interview on the 18th? how you guys feeling about waiting? I don't mean to scare anyone with interviews in march but i'm a little concerned myself about the number of open spots that remain for this year. Our interview date had 56 people and they said the class was about 160 spots filled. =/

so i can't speak for this year. but i know last year, i interviewed in the middle of february. my application was a little weak compared to now, and so i was placed on the alternate list but never got called. i know some pople from my interview group did receive straight up acceptances. also some received "deferred acceptances." this basically means if you pay the 2000 dollar deposit, western will hold a spot for you in the class of 2017. however! everyone that was on the deferred wait-list LAST year and paid the 2k deposit did eventually receive a call to be invited to join the class of 2015. so if you receive this type of acceptance, you'll be in great standing to be accepted eventually. also when i interviewed in mid-february they said the class was 75% full. hope this information helps.

Hey guys, anyone here interview on the 18th? how you guys feeling about waiting? I don't mean to scare anyone with interviews in march but i'm a little concerned myself about the number of open spots that remain for this year. Our interview date had 56 people and they said the class was about 160 spots filled. =/

I just got the official letter in the mail today as well. Great way to end the cycle.
What did the letter say about the $2000 deposit due date? Is it stil due March 1st. I wonder what it's going to be for those of us that haven't heard back from them yet. We're mostlikely going to hear after March 1st... :/

What did the letter say about the $2000 deposit due date? Is it stil due March 1st. I wonder what it's going to be for those of us that haven't heard back from them yet. We're mostlikely going to hear after March 1st... :/

The deposit is due on March 6th. I had called about my status early last week and when I talked to Martha, she mentioned that only some of the students who interviewed on Feb 2 had a decision after the 2/16 Committee Meeting.

I think mine said March 6, not 100% sure. It definitely wasn't 3/1 for me though.

The deposit is due on March 6th. I had called about my status early last week and when I talked to Martha, she mentioned that only some of the students who interviewed on Feb 2 had a decision after the 2/16 Committee Meeting.
No I'm from the 1/28 interview and we still haven't heard back yet. She said that they should mail their decisions out sometime this week but since March 1st is in 2 days I was wondering what deadline I should be expecting. Thanks for the info though. :)

Thats odd. I called in today to ask when our deicsions will be mailed for my interview group (2/18). Robin said she looked into it and said that our group's decisions are being mailed today and are expected to arrive by Friday. I find it strange that some 1/28 interviewers still haven't received their acceptances but ours is being sent out already? Anyone wanna follow up and call? haha I think i've bothered them way too much.

Called Western today and spoke to Martha. She told me that the decisions for the 1/28ers are still sitting in the admissions office but are expected to be mailed out by the end of the week. She also said that since the majority of us will not receive our official letters until after March 1st, that the new deadline for the $2k deposit is due 2 weeks after we receive our letters in the mail. Hope this helps! Good luck everyone!!!

Does anyone know if deferred acceptance people are given seats for this years class over people on the alternate list?

yes deferred acceptance takes precedence over regular alternate list, as long as you put down the 2k deposit.

just received a deferred acceptance... =/

Last edited:
thats a good thing.. because basically everyone on the deferred acceptance list was offered a seat in the current class last year (as in they were deferred accepted to the class of 2016 but eventually they just matriculated into the class of 2015 because openings popped up). so if western is your #1 school, pay the deposit and i think you will most definitely be invited to join the class of 2016 before the academic year starts.

western definitely is my number one choice so thats great. thanks for the advice. I just got the letter so at first hit me as a semi good/bad thing but now i'm starting to see all the opportunities that will open up because of it. thats great news to hear tho thanks

just received a deferred acceptance... =/
That's great about your deferred acceptance. At least you know you'll be going somewhere, sometime! So I'm guessing you are from Cali? I interviewed on 2/18 too, but don't live there so I was wondering how long the mail would take

western definitely is my number one choice so thats great. thanks for the advice. I just got the letter so at first hit me as a semi good/bad thing but now i'm starting to see all the opportunities that will open up because of it. thats great news to hear tho thanks

I got a deferred acceptance last year. I was eventually offered a spot in c/o 2015 but I declined. What's better than a guilt-free year off?? You can work and make some money, travel, and do amazing things that you wouldn't have the chance to otherwise!
I have LOVED my extra year, and I can't wait to start off with you guys this summer feeling refreshed and more ready than I would have been last year. You are in a pretty good spot, I'd say :)