Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone accepted off the regular alternate list yet? I'm not ready to give up on Western :xf:
Don't give up!!! Send in those updates!!!
#bossSwag @ A$AP - YEAH BUDDYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,
I was called on Tuesday and offered a seat in this year's class off of the deferred acceptance list. I think that list should be moving quickly because the admissions officer said that I only have until this Friday to decide whether I would be taking the seat or not. I interviewed at the end of January. Received deferred acceptance in March. I did not send any update letters after receiving deferred acceptance in March, nor did I call to express continued interest in the program. Just thought that this info would be helpful to some of you.

Those of you getting in from the deferred acceptance list mind sharing your stats? You can PM me if you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,
I was called on Tuesday and offered a seat in this year's class off of the deferred acceptance list. I think that list should be moving quickly because the admissions officer said that I only have until this Friday to decide whether I would be taking the seat or not. I interviewed at the end of January. Received deferred acceptance in March. I did not send any update letters after receiving deferred acceptance in March, nor did I call to express continued interest in the program. Just thought that this info would be helpful to some of you.
Just curious, are you going to take the seat?

people are posting that their name is being pulled to matriculate this year from the deferred list. can you guys post when people from the alternative list start getting called.

i want to send westernu a letter of recommendation, however my professor would rather email it than using mail. does anyone know which email address to send it to?

Just withdrew from this awesome school!Really really tough decision.. I hope one of you deserving applicants gets it! Good luck to you all!

Hey what school did you choose over western? And what reasons if you don't mind me asking. U can msg me if u don't want to post it

Hey All-

Was offered a seat in this year's class today (was on Deferred Admission list) but declined due to my decision to attend another school. I only had until 3pm today to decide...hopefully the quick turn around means lots of movement to those waiting!

Best of luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Hey All-

Was offered a seat in this year's class today (was on Deferred Admission list) but declined due to my decision to attend another school. I only had until 3pm today to decide...hopefully the quick turn around means lots of movement to those waiting!

Best of luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

thanks for sharing this info.
mind sharing your stats? I'm trying to see if there's a method to this madness, are they pulling ppl from deffered admission based on #s, interview date, ?? I've already paid my deposit to this school but still havent received a call.

mind sharing your stats? I'm trying to see if there's a method to this madness, are they pulling ppl from deffered admission based on #s, interview date, ?? I've already paid my deposit to this school but still havent received a call.

Did you receive a deferred admission as well? If so,.when did you interview? I received a deferred admission and interviewed on the 17th of March. I'm hoping I can receive an invite to join this year's class soon =/

Did you receive a deferred admission as well? If so,.when did you interview? I received a deferred admission and interviewed on the 17th of March. I'm hoping I can receive an invite to join this year's class soon =/

Yea i got the deferred admission as well. I interviewed on March 1st.
I'm really hoping i get an invite for this year's class before the end of this month cause I want to take that course over the summer

Members don't see this ad :)
For people with deferred acceptance, are we basically out of luck at this point? I mean, it's the end of May and school starts in 2 months and most people have made their decision. How realistic is it that the huge list of deferred acceptance people will hear back?

For people with deferred acceptance, are we basically out of luck at this point? I mean, it's the end of May and school starts in 2 months and most people have made their decision. How realistic is it that the huge list of deferred acceptance people will hear back?

Looking back at last year's thread, I remember people on the deferred list being accepted up until the first week of June then I believe people from the alternate list were getting pulled. It's different every year so I don't want to get my hopes up.

I didn't pay a deposit prior to getting the call or send any updates/additional letters. I only called once to ask for a clarification on the deferred admission letter. I interviewed on March 1. I have a 3.9 GPA with degrees in Speech Pathology/Spanish. I went back to school to complete all the pre-reqs and have a 3.78 science GPA. My MCAT was a 26R. I had a lot of extracurriculars including several years leading medical brigades in Honduras.

I decided not to go to Western because I was accepted to my state school in Missouri (Mizzou, an MD program) and it will end up costing me at least $20,000 less per year. Even though I loved the school, I can't justify those extra loans!!!!

I didn't pay a deposit prior to getting the call or send any updates/additional letters. I only called once to ask for a clarification on the deferred admission letter. I interviewed on March 1. I have a 3.9 GPA with degrees in Speech Pathology/Spanish. I went back to school to complete all the pre-reqs and have a 3.78 science GPA. My MCAT was a 26R. I had a lot of extracurriculars including several years leading medical brigades in Honduras.

I decided not to go to Western because I was accepted to my state school in Missouri (Mizzou, an MD program) and it will end up costing me at least $20,000 less per year. Even though I loved the school, I can't justify those extra loans!!!!

I also interviewed on the 1st, not sure if I met you, the group that interviewed that day was HUGE, I was from Mass.
you have a little higher GPA than me, so maybe that's what did it, I really dont know what else I can do at this point to get in this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

congrats on your acceptance to the MD school, I wouldve probably done the same thing

Congrats on Mizzou acceptance, I'm from missouri too! Good luck!

All,

I'm not sure if someone has already gotten my spot, but I recently deferred my acceptance for a year. Hope one of you will be the lucky one!!

Hey guys, I was just offered a spot for the class of 2016. I got a deferred acceptance and interviewed on feb 18. So definetly keep your hopes up! I think the movement just started and will be going on for a while. Good luck everyone!

Hey guys, I was just offered a spot for the class of 2016. I got a deferred acceptance and interviewed on feb 18. So definetly keep your hopes up! I think the movement just started and will be going on for a while. Good luck everyone!

Hey thanks for the update and congrats on the acceptance! So it looks like they're offering acceptances chronologically to those who were offered a deferred acceptance earlier in the cycle. I interviewed on their last interview day so I'm crossing my fingers!

Hey thanks for the update and congrats on the acceptance! So it looks like they're offering acceptances chronologically to those who were offered a deferred acceptance earlier in the cycle. I interviewed on their last interview day so I'm crossing my fingers!

My friend interviewed on Mar. 17 as well and received deferred acceptence.

However, my friend was offered a seat for this coming school yr almost 2wks ago.

Got a phone call today offering me a seat in this year's class!!! :lock::clap::clap::highfive:
good luck to everyone else that received deffered admission!!

Hi my people. I got accepted to 2 MD programs, possibly a third soon. Looks like I will open my spot here real soon. This is an awesome school. Good luck to everyone here...
#MazelTov

Just sent an e-mail to withdraw my acceptance. I'm sad I don't get to meet all of you, but I hope someone waiting will be able to get my spot! :)

Hey everyone, I've decided to stay close to my family and go to school in AZ... I hope one of you deserving students gets my spot-- it's a great school! This was my second year applying, so keep your heads up. :thumbup:

A bit late, but I recently sent in my withdrawal email. As far as DO programs go, there is none better than this school. I feel so lucky to have been given a chance here. I know those of you who will be offered a seat will deserve it and will make the most of it. To those of you who need to reapply- never give up on your dreams. I am a living testament that no matter where you come from, what your mistakes are, and how old you are, that you can reach your goals. Best of luck to everyone here, and G-d bless.

Just sent an e-mail to withdraw my acceptance. I'm sad I don't get to meet all of you, but I hope someone waiting will be able to get my spot! :)

Hey everyone, I've decided to stay close to my family and go to school in AZ... I hope one of you deserving students gets my spot-- it's a great school! This was my second year applying, so keep your heads up. :thumbup:

A bit late, but I recently sent in my withdrawal email. As far as DO programs go, there is none better than this school. I feel so lucky to have been given a chance here. I know those of you who will be offered a seat will deserve it and will make the most of it. To those of you who need to reapply- never give up on your dreams. I am a living testament that no matter where you come from, what your mistakes are, and how old you are, that you can reach your goals. Best of luck to everyone here, and G-d bless.

Thanks guys and good luck with everything!

Has anyone from the deferred/alternate list heard back from WesternU/COMP? I'm on the deferred list and I'm beginning to lose hope :confused:...

don't lose hope! My friend just got in off the deferred list recently! I'm hoping to go here too! applying this year *fingers crossed* just need to get a decent mcat score

I called today to check if there has been any movement and to check my deferred spot. As of today there is no spots available. hopefully in a week or two I will hear back with some great news. Still keeping my fingers crossed in hopes to get in this year.

those of you who got accepted or deferred or withdrew, would you guys mind sharing your stats? you guys can pm me if you like. Thanks so much. I am a prospective applicant.

I received an acceptance today for the incoming class in the fall. I interviewed January 31 and received a deferred acceptance initially.

I have regretfully withdrawn from this school today. Nice school, nice people

Anyone know if there is free wifi available everywhere on campus? Does it work well?

Also, for anatomy lab, are we going to need separate shoes as well? Will the shoes end up smelling like the rest of the lab? If so, what shoes are recommended? Just some cheap old shoes that we won't wear again?

Hey guys, if you're still looking for a place to live, we have one room available at a 5br house in upland. Message me if you're interested!

Anyone know if there is free wifi available everywhere on campus? Does it work well?

Also, for anatomy lab, are we going to need separate shoes as well? Will the shoes end up smelling like the rest of the lab? If so, what shoes are recommended? Just some cheap old shoes that we won't wear again?

There is wifi available in every building. And it works very well. For lab, I would probably bring some closed toe shoes that you wouldn't mind getting dirty. And they definitely will get dirty.

for those of you guys getting pulled from the deferred list, do you guys mind sharing your stats? mcat/gpa? feel free to PM me~

My transcripts still haven't shown up at Western. What address did y'all use?

hi guys,

i'm a previous applicant to medical school but am thinking about applying to western. would anyone be able to speak to my chances?

mcat: 30p
gpa: ~3.5 from cornell university
extracurriculars: TONS of research, shadowing MDs
other: strong committee recommendation from cornell university, strong recommendation from an MD i've consistently shadowed throughout the years

anything else i'm leaving out?

hi guys,

i'm a previous applicant to medical school but am thinking about applying to western. would anyone be able to speak to my chances?

mcat: 30p
gpa: ~3.5 from cornell university
extracurriculars: TONS of research, shadowing MDs
other: strong committee recommendation from cornell university, strong recommendation from an MD i've consistently shadowed throughout the years

anything else i'm leaving out?

You are posting in LAST YEAR'S thread. Most of the people that followed this thread are already in med school.

As to your stats, they are great for most DO schools, you just need to not look like someone that failed to get into MD school, so you are settling for DO (even if this is the case).

Shadow a DO for SEVERAL DAYS! Get a strong LOR, and don't use the MD letter.

Be able to answer the WHY DO question accurately and with passion.

If you can do those things, you should be good to go.

dsoz

Shadow a DO for SEVERAL DAYS! Get a strong LOR, and don't use the MD letter.

Getting a strong LOR from someone you've shadowed for several days? :confused:

I'd just get the DO letter anyway if you can, but being able to articulate why DO, why western, why southern california in your secondaries should be fine.

hey guys, this "deferred acceptance" list you're talking about........ is that just a different name for a wait list for the cycle to which you applied? or does that mean something like, if you don't get a spot in the cycle for which you applied, you have one for the following year? thanks

Still waiting for a response. :( This school is one of my top choice, I want to stay instate.

Does this school have robot simulation lab?

I don't think so. I toured here in March, and they didn't show any to me at that time.

They do have standardized patients that they use early and often. But most schools have those nowadays.

dsoz

Are you kidding me?:laugh: They're even letting DOs share lectures with PAs, nurses, vet.s, just to save more $$$, although they charge one of the highest amount of tuition $$$ among all schools in the country. I'm not against it but paying for that much high a tuition I'd personally like to see my DO classmates and get to know them better, instead.

What I only saw during campus tour at Pomona was an anatomy lab without any locker/dressing room, where many lab coats that were stained with bodly fluids from cadavers were hung on the wall one on top the other and were smelling like a warm butcher shop.