Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OMG just got a phone call for an interview invite.
First interview date is Thursday 9/22. I have an interview for LECOM-Erie on Friday 9/23, so I cannot make the first date.
I have been scheduled for the 2nd date 10/6.

SO STOKED!!!! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

First interview date is Thursday 9/22. I have an interview for LECOM-Erie on Friday 9/23, so I cannot make the first date.

LOLOLOL SAAAAME HERE!

After I had an interview for a new PT job in the area, I checked my phone and saw the missed call came from Pomona... I pretty much ran through puddles to my car to call her back.

:soexcited:

Grats guys. When were you all complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
Grats guys. When were you all complete?

I turned in my secondary+sent my LORs by the 10-day limit (7/28).. the latest date they have is that they received by LORs by 8/9. :confused: I never got a complete email.

Not sure when I was complete, but I sent in my secondary August 5.

I just got the call as well! I also have an interview on the 23rd so had to schedule for October 6. Really looking forward to it! Especially since I live about 20 minutes from the campus :D

I just got the call as well! I also have an interview on the 23rd so had to schedule for October 6. Really looking forward to it! Especially since I live about 20 minutes from the campus :D

Congrats to both of you!

I got an interview invite!! I am so excited!! I actually got it yesterday afternoon but I couldn't post last night. Hope to see some more SDNers there on 9/22!!

Congrats to those with interviews! Are you all in-state? it seems like Western is focusing on in-state folks first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are my stats:
27MCAT (12BS, 9BS, 6V)
SCI GPA 3.81, Non-sience GPA 3.7

I'm worried that I might not be a competitive applicant because my verbal score is kind of low. Advice?

Here are my stats:
27MCAT (12BS, 9BS, 6V)
SCI GPA 3.81, Non-sience GPA 3.7

I'm worried that I might not be a competitive applicant because my verbal score is kind of low. Advice?

If you haven't already written your essays, I suggest making sure they are really good, both content-wise and style-wise. I got a pretty low writing score, so I put a lot of effort into my essays to show that I actually know how to write!

I wonder what time is the latest they give phone calls. I'm pouncing on every call I get.

FYI, don't worry if you haven't been invited to interview yet - Sep 22 is only the first date out of MANY.

Western has a knack for doing mega-interview days, with over 100 interviewees in one day.

Just got the call, earliest interview date is Oct 6. Good luck everyone!

wow, sept 22 is already full?

also, western is doing MMI, whoaaa

Is MMI something new that they're doing this year?

yep apparently this is their first year working with MMI. Most of the Canadian schools and some of the US schools use this approach. Usually they set up multiple stations and applicants rotate and perform different tasks. I do not know if this is the way Western will perform the MMI as well.

I think I've given up on a call this week. But MMI's sound exciting and intimidating at the same time.

FYI, don't worry if you haven't been invited to interview yet - Sep 22 is only the first date out of MANY.

Western has a knack for doing mega-interview days, with over 100 interviewees in one day.

Thanks- what year are you at Western? What was the application experience like for you at Western?

I was complete on August 11th (though I submitted in late July- on the 10th day of the 10 day window that they recommend).

Feeling concerned that I haven't gotten a call yet but I guess there is time :xf:

Anyone know if having a pending Lebanon secondary will affect the Pomona secondary? I feel like they're waiting for me to finish both secondaries before they start to review my file.. I've already submitted my Pomona one on 8/16.

Thanks- what year are you at Western? What was the application experience like for you at Western?

I was complete on August 11th (though I submitted in late July- on the 10th day of the 10 day window that they recommend).

Feeling concerned that I haven't gotten a call yet but I guess there is time :xf:

I'm a MS1 at Albany Med now, though I still come on the DO forums rather than MD. Just got used to it I suppose.

Received secondary 7/30, submitted my secondary 9/1. Received interview invite about early October for 10/30, and I received my acceptance about 4-6 weeks later.

Interesting that Western is going towards MMI now. I had a MMI interview for UCLA, definitely an interesting experience. Questions tend to focus on personal qualities (e.g. name an experience you had taking leadership during a challenging situation, strength/weakness), situation (e.g. opinions on health care reform, what you would do to improve care for the underserved), and contextual (e.g. having to act out a scenario with an actor, kinda like a standardized patient encounter but with ethical or teamwork based themes).

Did all that get interviews receive confirmation emails that the secondary was complete?

Did all that get interviews receive confirmation emails that the secondary was complete?

I called a couple weeks ago and they told me they don't send emails notifying applicants that they're complete. They said you can electronically check the status for each component of your application for that reason.

I submitted my Lebanon one last night but I feel like my answer to "Why Pacific Northwest appeals to you" was rather weak after demonstrating such enthusiasm for Southern California in my Pomona essay. Either way, Western is a strong school and I'd be happy at both locations.

do they give out secondaries to everyone that submits a primary or is there a screening process just to get invited for the secondary?

Question to all you interview folks...what date were you marked as complete?

Question to all you interview folks...what date were you marked as complete?

I'm not sure when I was marked as complete. I had to email them and ask them if I was complete... This was August 17. So, I could have been complete before that date, but I don't know.

couldn't complete in the 10 day window:( how strict is this rule?

couldn't complete in the 10 day window:( how strict is this rule?

I received my secondary on 7/18 and submitted on 8/3; I have an interview for October so I don't think they are too strict on the window

So Western is doing MMI interviews this year? Does anyone have more information about this? Is there also a 1 on 1 or panel interview, or is it exclusively MMI? Was it mentioned only in the interview invite email or is it posted on the website somewhere? Also, do people have an idea of how much flexibility there is with their interview dates? Like if they're doing MMI now, I imagine that means that they're only doing 1 or 2 massive interview days per month. Do they do all their interviews during the middle of the week or on the weekend or is there some combination of both? Thanks for the replies.

I got a call this morning as well for an interview on 10/6! I was actually complete LAST WEEK, so I was super shocked to get an invite.

my stats:

3.74 cGPA
3.64 sGPA
28S
strong ECs

in addition to two MMI interviews, they are also doing a panel interview, which is nerve-wrecking!

anyways, good luck everyone :)

Did anyone who received an interview invitation miss the call and receive a voicemail?