Western/COMP Lebanon Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, I'm coming from Portland, not much of a drive for me. :) But I might stay in a hotel the night before just for fun. Maybe other people who are interviewing Feb. 12 will want to meet up? Btw when I talked to Jess about the interview she asked if this date would work for me or if I needed a different one, does that mean they have more interviews happening after?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm coming from Portland, not much of a drive for me. :) But I might stay in a hotel the night before just for fun. Maybe other people who are interviewing Feb. 12 will want to meet up? Btw when I talked to Jess about the interview she asked if this date would work for me or if I needed a different one, does that mean they have more interviews happening after?

They have two more. One in Feb, and the last one in March

I think you should definitely come the night before..it would be fun ;) Besides, I would love to meet some people the night before too! I am staying at the Phoenix Inn Suites. I decided to fly into Eugene because I used to go there on vacations as a kid...so tentatively, I will roll into the tri-city area around 4pm

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
So I called to confirm the Feb 12th interview date during my lunch break today (received the call last night) and apparently it's full, so I've been bumped to March 26th. I hadn't even realized there was a date that late! Oh well, maybe the weather will be prettier in March. I'm still hoping something will change that I will be able to attend the Feb. slot, but excited for an interview nonetheless :)

ACCEPTED!!!!!! Got the call just now. Jan 8th interview. SO EXCITED!!! :) :) :) :) :)

Accepted! Today is the best day of my life so far!!!!!!!

He he :) Me too! I am still in shock... so many phone calls to make.

Last edited:
Definitely congrats to all of you! And I am super jealous! :) It would be fun if we all met up the night before. I'd love to meet some potential classmates.

I have an interview on Feb 12 also im coming from TEXAS, ive been looking and i think ill be staying at the pheonix in albany? meeting up before hand i think is a good idea

ps new to this site dont really know how to use it so feel free to contact me thru email if you can

Members don't see this ad :)
I am flying in on the 11th at around 1130. Probably going to hang out in Portland for a few hours before heading down if anyone is around or needs a ride, I have a rental.

So I called to confirm the Feb 12th interview date during my lunch break today (received the call last night) and apparently it's full, so I've been bumped to March 26th. I hadn't even realized there was a date that late! Oh well, maybe the weather will be prettier in March. I'm still hoping something will change that I will be able to attend the Feb. slot, but excited for an interview nonetheless :)

The same thing happened to me! I got a voice mail with a date in February available and March 26th. I couldn't call them back right away because I was at work. By the time I called back, March 26th was the only interview date available.

I hope that there will be several spots available for the class of 2015 still! :xf: I didn't know that they interviewed that late OR that they have interviews on Saturdays!

I didn't know that they interviewed that late OR that they have interviews on Saturdays!

The campus is new, so they don't have a full house of regular staff. Lots (most?) of the interviewers are volunteer D.O.'s from all over the state of Oregon, so I figure Saturdays just make it easier for the interviewers to attend.

The campus is new, so they don't have a full house of regular staff. Lots (most?) of the interviewers are volunteer D.O.'s from all over the state of Oregon, so I figure Saturdays just make it easier for the interviewers to attend.

That makes so much more sense now!! I was confused when the invite said that the interview was being held in the hospital patient care room! Thanks for the clarification! :)

Hey Feb 12thers...we're getting closer..I'm really excited :D We should start trying to figure out where we are gonna meet up...I'll be at Phoenix Inn, I heard there is a Denny's close by...I wouldn't be totally opposed to it, but in all honesty I really don't dig Denny's...there are lots of other restaurants near and I think enough of us will have cars to take a little cruise to somewhere near by...if anyone has ideas, let's start tossing them out :p

Hey Feb 12thers...we're getting closer..I'm really excited :D We should start trying to figure out where we are gonna meet up...I'll be at Phoenix Inn, I heard there is a Denny's close by...I wouldn't be totally opposed to it, but in all honesty I really don't dig Denny's...there are lots of other restaurants near and I think enough of us will have cars to take a little cruise to somewhere near by...if anyone has ideas, let's start tossing them out :p

when i interviewed i stayed at the pheonix inn and the room key cards acted as discount coupons at a couple of restaurants that are like 5 minutes from the hotel. one of them was red robin and the other was a great italian place...i think it was called carrini's? something like that. anyway they are both in the same parking lot and you get a 15 (or maybe it's 10) percent discount if you have your room key. i went to the italian place with my family...really great food and not too spendy. if you go, try the butternut squah ravioli...YUM!

when i interviewed i stayed at the pheonix inn and the room key cards acted as discount coupons at a couple of restaurants that are like 5 minutes from the hotel. one of them was red robin and the other was a great italian place...i think it was called carrini's? something like that. anyway they are both in the same parking lot and you get a 15 (or maybe it's 10) percent discount if you have your room key. i went to the italian place with my family...really great food and not too spendy. if you go, try the butternut squah ravioli...YUM!
Hey thanks! I hope it was Carinos....that is my favorite restaurant...I would love it! ;)

My wife and I went fancy the night before and ate at Carl's Jr.

sounds good

My wife and I went fancy the night before and ate at Carl's Jr.
Classy :p......Never had Carl's Jr. before but I think its like the Hardees we have in MT.

Hi everyone! I'm joining the Feb 12 interview group/staying at the Phoenix the night before club. Are there dinner plans in place already??

Hi everyone! I'm joining the Feb 12 interview group/staying at the Phoenix the night before club. Are there dinner plans in place already??
Nothing official yet...we were just thinking of ideas or finding out where other people went...I like that the key cards have discounts...we could just meet up somewhere in the hotel and make a quick plan that late afternoon/evening?

I'm going to come spy on the Feb 12th interviews :)
good luck everyone! Have fun!

Hey guys! Has anyone heard a schedule for the 2011-12 term? The website lists Pomona only and only for this year as well. I’m just trying to get an idea…I’m a bit of a far a head planner like that J I’m guessing the NW campus will be fairly in sync with Pomona and so looking at their schedule for this year probably gives a ballpark…in any case, I'm super excited and can't wait to meet my classmates! Good luck to those who are interviewing or waiting to hear back!

Hey guys! Has anyone heard a schedule for the 2011-12 term? The website lists Pomona only and only for this year as well. I’m just trying to get an idea…I’m a bit of a far a head planner like that J I’m guessing the NW campus will be fairly in sync with Pomona and so looking at their schedule for this year probably gives a ballpark…in any case, I'm super excited and can't wait to meet my classmates! Good luck to those who are interviewing or waiting to hear back!

So far, the dates I know:
July 1st= Begin Online registration, deadline July 31st
July 30th= white coat ceremony
August 1-5= Mandatory Orientation week
August 8= First day of classes

check out http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_110660035671599&ap=1 for other discussions if you want

Good luck everyone! I'm so excited to be going to COMP-NW this fall :) Watch out for the bus tour though. When I went it wasn't very extensive and doesn't show you much of the area, but if your from there that may not matter. If you aren't from there then driving around the area the night before might be a good idea to get a feel for the city.

Hey guys, I was actually just curious if you know whether they give summer breaks throughout medical school? I've heard of some that give you just your first summer or none at all. Does anyone know about Western Lebanon's summers? Or how long they are if they exist?

Hey guys, I was actually just curious if you know whether they give summer breaks throughout medical school? I've heard of some that give you just your first summer or none at all. Does anyone know about Western Lebanon's summers? Or how long they are if they exist?

Hi! I have actually never heard of a school giving any more the your MS1 summer off. Reason being is after MS2 you will begin studying for your COMLEX or USMLE.... or both :love:.. then you transition into 3rd and 4th year rotations. In these rotations I think you get something like 4 weeks off per year, It probably depends on the school and is at random times for every student. Some schools may give more time off or less time off during those last two years. So alas, after MS1 no more summers.

Hey interview-mates....should we meet in the lobby of the Phoenix Inn...say, around 5 or 6 tomorrow night? Will everybody be in town by then?...we can decide where to go to dinner from there...:thumbup:

I was wondering if anyone happens to know if the basic science curriculum during the first two year is identical to the Pomona campus? The university website appears to describe it this way, just hoping to confirm this.

Good luck to everyone interviewing this Saturday! I'll be there interviewing as well, and I'm quite excited about the possibility of going to school there and living in the NW again.

Good luck to everyone for tomorrow! I am leaving in a couple of hours and plan on getting to Albany late evening. Stopping in Portland/Beaverton first. Can't wait to see the SDNers and everyone else soon!

Congrats to everyone that got accepted!

I'm looking to apply next year but I was wondering if people could post their stats to see if I even have a chance, or if I should wait a year or two to do a post-bacc. Thanks!

I'm looking to apply next year but I was wondering if people could post their stats to see if I even have a chance, or if I should wait a year or two to do a post-bacc. Thanks!

try mdapplicant it has stats for all the schools its a site related to sdn thats what i used until recently, also you should buy the MSAR medical school admission requirements they have one for every year, the DO schools have a similar one which is more difficult to find its called Osteopathic medical college information book, they also have stats for all the schools, there is also a third book which is really helpful if you are a minority its the minority student opportunities book, anyways in my personal opinion applying extremely early is probably more beneficial then a post bacc if you can convey that medicine is what you really want to do... i would try to have your primary apps submitted the 1st day or first week that its available to submit, and then submit the secondaries as soon as possible, it gets tiring depending on how many apps you do but it paid off for me im already in a school and i have had several other interviews and still several lined up, and none are even from texas which is were im from they use a different application and my letters of recommendation got messed up on their app so o well im meant to leave the state it seems...send a message if you want any more tips...just do it, but with some research

what are your stats?

I was wondering if anyone happens to know if the basic science curriculum during the first two year is identical to the Pomona campus? The university website appears to describe it this way, just hoping to confirm this.

Good luck to everyone interviewing this Saturday! I'll be there interviewing as well, and I'm quite excited about the possibility of going to school there and living in the NW again.

and i believe the curriculum is the same that is how they are accredited without a graduating class.... also the 1st year is actually done in pomona, and again pomona has good board scores so i dont see why they would change something thats working anyways got to go get some breakfast and get ready for my interview today

Interviewed today!!! Loved everything about this program! The future looks promising in Lebanon...hope I get to be a part of it :xf:

Interviewed today!!! Loved everything about this program! The future looks promising in Lebanon...hope I get to be a part of it :xf:

That's awesome! I left my interview with the exact same feelings. Choosing Comp-NW was a no-brainer for me. Hopefully you'll hear good news soon!

Last edited:
and i believe the curriculum is the same that is how they are accredited without a graduating class.... also the 1st year is actually done in pomona, and again pomona has good board scores so i dont see why they would change something thats working anyways got to go get some breakfast and get ready for my interview today

You don't spend the 1st year in pomona, it is in lebanon.

You don't spend the 1st year in pomona, it is in lebanon.

yea sorry my mistake I had heard that the first year was done in pomona but after interviewing yesterday and seeing that the building is almost done i believe all that was corrected? sorry for the wrong info but its still the same curriculum

yea sorry my mistake I had heard that the first year was done in pomona but after interviewing yesterday and seeing that the building is almost done i believe all that was corrected? sorry for the wrong info but its still the same curriculum

Yeah man the plan was always to have the first and second years done in Lebanon. I believe it was kind of an all or nothing deal. Having an extra 100 kids down in Pomona would be bad news...anyways I hope you enjoyed the interview!

Interviewed Saturday. I really enjoyed the day and all of the presentations. Hopefully I will be hearing something.... they said 2 weeks right? This week they are reviewing and next week sending out letter. I think thats what I remember...

Hey, just wanted to tell everyone:
a future classmate and I jumped in on the tour of the new building that was given to your interviewers yesterday. There are so many reasons I am simply STOKED to be going here in August. Spending some more time with everyone that's involved really solidified my choice to go here.
First of all, the building is AMAZING. We are going to be so spoiled! Most of the rooms already have paint, ceilings, doors and some flooring (unpolished). The desks were being installed in the lecture halls. There is tons of space- two big lecture halls, a patient simulation lab, research labs, huge OMM and basic research labs, study rooms and the student lounge are really spacious (and my friend and I requested a ping pong table and espresso machine be installed :) ).
Apart from the amazing facility, everyone I talked to all morning was awesome. I have interviewed several places and Western-COMP-Lebanon seems 100 times more like a family that anywhere else. The dean gave us hugs, so did some of the other interviewing docs. They shook our hands, made small talk and were interested to know what we thought about everything (down to the construction). Everyone involved in this school is personally invested and it shines through. This is definitely a place where the student's voice will be heard. I already feel like part of a family.
Good luck to all those that interviewed, we peeked into the room a couple times, you all looked sharp! :)

Hey, just wanted to tell everyone:
a future classmate and I jumped in on the tour of the new building that was given to your interviewers yesterday. There are so many reasons I am simply STOKED to be going here in August. Spending some more time with everyone that's involved really solidified my choice to go here.
First of all, the building is AMAZING. We are going to be so spoiled! Most of the rooms already have paint, ceilings, doors and some flooring (unpolished). The desks were being installed in the lecture halls. There is tons of space- two big lecture halls, a patient simulation lab, research labs, huge OMM and basic research labs, study rooms and the student lounge are really spacious (and my friend and I requested a ping pong table and espresso machine be installed :) ).
Apart from the amazing facility, everyone I talked to all morning was awesome. I have interviewed several places and Western-COMP-Lebanon seems 100 times more like a family that anywhere else. The dean gave us hugs, so did some of the other interviewing docs. They shook our hands, made small talk and were interested to know what we thought about everything (down to the construction). Everyone involved in this school is personally invested and it shines through. This is definitely a place where the student's voice will be heard. I already feel like part of a family.
Good luck to all those that interviewed, we peeked into the room a couple times, you all looked sharp! :)

Wow!! I'm soo excited now! I can't wait til school starts!!