Western/COMP Lebanon Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got a phone call asking if I could come to the Oct 9 interview, I told them it would not be physically possible for me to get there because I have an interview at LECOM-E on Oct 8. The woman I spoke to, Jamie, was very nice and asked me if Nov 6 would be better. Has anyone else been invited for Nov 6? I am really excited to visit and learn more about the new campus! Also, I am from NY and I'm just wondering where people are from who have been invited for interviews thus far? Best of luck to everyone on Oct 9 :)

I just got invited too for the 9th and am having to push it back to the 6th because we are leaving that day for a wedding. I'm IS.

Members don't see this ad.

I also pushed mine back to the 6th of November. I'm coming from Mass. When are they going to come up with teleportation technology already?

Isn't anyone a little wary about being a first generation class or is everything so closely modeled after Pomona (curriculum, etc.) that there won't be any significant differences?

Just that theres always talk on here about how the older a DO school is the better so how is this campus different? Also, who has seen it and what do you guys think after interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't anyone a little wary about being a first generation class or is everything so closely modeled after Pomona (curriculum, etc.) that there won't be any significant differences?

Just that theres always talk on here about how the older a DO school is the better so how is this campus different? Also, who has seen it and what do you guys think after interviews?

The campus is still being built, they actually have a link to the campus where you can watch it progress. Also, the first interviews are in 8 days so no one has interviewed yet.

As far as being a first generation student, I am not worried. All medical schools have thier bumps, but coming from a new school allows you to set the path of that school, along with your own. I like the thought of being the pioneers that will lead the others, though no second years to befriend or hand me down notes makes me sad. It has it's pros and cons, but I like the thought of being the first graduates.

My understanding was that the curriculum is the same as the Pomona campus and the rotations are largely those which were established for the previous NW track.

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if any of you applied to both campuses and being invited to interview at both.

I applied to both and got invite at Lebanon, but i am also really interested in the california campus and wondering if they are not considering someone like me since they are interviewing me for Lebanon, eventhough i applied to both at the same time.

Thanks

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if any of you applied to both campuses and being invited to interview at both.

I applied to both and got invite at Lebanon, but i am also really interested in the california campus and wondering if they are not considering someone like me since they are interviewing me for Lebanon, eventhough i applied to both at the same time.

Thanks

I have also applied to both campuses, and I am REALLY excited to be heading up to Lebanon for an interview this weekend!! As far as your question I would call the admissions office and inquire whether or not an interview at one campus would preclude you from an interview at the sister campus. IMHO I can't imagine that that would be the case, but if it was I believe that there would be some kind of notation that you could only pick one campus to apply to, similar to LECOM - Erie which asks you to choose between Erie campus and Seton Hill. I hope that helps, and Good Luck!

...For those of you interviewing on Oct 9th, are any of you staying at the Phoenix Inns and Suites in Albany? I know that the questions was posed before, but would anybody be interested in getting together for dinner to break the ice for the next day?

I have also applied to both campuses, and I am REALLY excited to be heading up to Lebanon for an interview this weekend!! As far as your question I would call the admissions office and inquire whether or not an interview at one campus would preclude you from an interview at the sister campus. IMHO I can't imagine that that would be the case, but if it was I believe that there would be some kind of notation that you could only pick one campus to apply to, similar to LECOM - Erie which asks you to choose between Erie campus and Seton Hill. I hope that helps, and Good Luck!

...For those of you interviewing on Oct 9th, are any of you staying at the Phoenix Inns and Suites in Albany? I know that the questions was posed before, but would anybody be interested in getting together for dinner to break the ice for the next day?

I think many are because they are trying to get together that shuttle thing. As for me I'm, staying there becuase I've heard they serve waffles in the morning.

I mentioned this before, but didn't really follow up on it. I would love to get dinner. I'm not staying at the Phoexnix Inn, but it seems like a lot of ppl are... maybe we can find a restaurant near that area and then get a head count of ppl who want to go out to dinner and just set a time and place and meet there?

I mentioned this before, but didn't really follow up on it. I would love to get dinner. I'm not staying at the Phoexnix Inn, but it seems like a lot of ppl are... maybe we can find a restaurant near that area and then get a head count of ppl who want to go out to dinner and just set a time and place and meet there?

MAYBEEEEE.... BTW... there is a 15% chance of showers on saturday, be prepared. :p

Anyone know a way to view your responses to the secondary? I wanted to review them prior to my interview. I could email and ask but wanted an opinion on if that would be bad form or not.

Anyone know a way to view your responses to the secondary? I wanted to review them prior to my interview. I could email and ask but wanted an opinion on if that would be bad form or not.

you didn't type up your answers in a word processor beforehand?

you didn't type up your answers in a word processor beforehand?

I was thinking the same thing.

I don't think think there is another way to view them... I saved EVERYTHING from my secondaries; essays, secondaries, extra tidbits, receipts, etc.. I would highly advise people to do this, because you never know when you'll need them.

As an aside, I would definitely not call and ask if they can provide them for you. Just review the reasons why you are interested in them and your application, and the interview should go fine. Usually the interviewers will guide you through the interview, so don't sweat it too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone,
It looks like there is a Denny's next to the Phoenix Inn and Suites, which is only 15 minutes from Lebanon, where I'm staying.
Why don't we all plan to meet there at 7?
If you are planning on being there, please PM me so I can have a number of people to give the waitress when we sit!
Thanks

I live in Portland and am driving down early Saturday morning, if anyone would like to ride with me!

Finally back home. Well lets just say that they ran 20 minutes past their 4:00pm time so I missed my flight and had to spend the night in the airport... It was so worth it though. The interview day consisted of about 50 people mostly from the PNW. They stressed the fact that this wasn't a new school, but just a new location. The curriculum is really cool and they have a new program kinda like PBL but not; You'll see at the interview.

Anyways the interviews were good. Doctors and other high ranking professionals drove hours to arrive at the campus due to there being no solid faculty yet. They aren't your everyday D.O.'s either. There was D.O. of the year there along with CEO's of insurance and hospital systems. I personally had awesome interviewers that were really focused on what they wanted and what were looking for in their applicants.

The interview was a standard set of questions that I won't divulge here, but they are nothing too challenging. I know this has been said before but they are really wanting to get to know you. They do their best to make the interview relaxing. Dr. Crone, stated that once you are here, they are just trying to see who is the best fit for their school. There were no question about grades or no attacks against your weaknesses.

Other than the interviews they had a bus tour of the "tri-city" area. Consisting of Corvallis, Albany, and Lebanon, the bus took us around and let us see the major hospitals, the locale, and the school.

I'll write a more coherent recount at a later time, but for now, this is all you get. :p Let me just say that I have interviewed elsewhere, but as for now, this was and still is my top choice. If the people I have met and the processes that have taken place so far speak for the future of the school, I will no doubt accept my acceptance. :)

I was there too and concur that the whole experience was a very positive one. Everone in the faculty and support staff seemed very excited about the school and the curriculum. The interviewers were not typical and very easy to talk to.

Does anyone remember when the admissions committee meets. Is it this Wednesday or next? They told us 3-4 weeks before we receive our letters but did state that if we had an upcoming interview or acceptance deposit they would tell us over the phone prior to that. I have an interview in Erie next week and was contimplating trying to find out early...

Suzanne, the admissions director, said the admissions committee down in Pomona will be meeting this Friday. From there, you should expect 3-4 weeks before you receive your notice of acceptance, alternate, or rejection via U.S. mail. However, she was saying if you have a conflict within those 3-4 weeks (e.g. having to put down a deposit for another school) you can call the admissions office and get your status over the phone. Although I would stray away from this if you can. By the sounds of it, they really don't like this. I hope this helps and good luck! Western Lebanon is definitely my top choice!!

I was there too and concur that the whole experience was a very positive one. Everone in the faculty and support staff seemed very excited about the school and the curriculum. The interviewers were not typical and very easy to talk to.

Does anyone remember when the admissions committee meets. Is it this Wednesday or next? They told us 3-4 weeks before we receive our letters but did state that if we had an upcoming interview or acceptance deposit they would tell us over the phone prior to that. I have an interview in Erie next week and was contimplating trying to find out early...

The only way they will tell you about an early decision is if you have an acceptance letter in hand. You will have to fax it to them and they will reply with your answer. Another interview, I don't believe, warrants an early decision.

Did anyone that interview ask about clinicals?

Did anyone that interview ask about clinicals?

The students went into great deal about their experiences in the clinical rotations; however I assume you want to know about the clinical sites. They gave us a list of sites, primarily In Washington, Oregon, and Idaho. A caveat to this is that during your elective weeks in 4th year you can request to go anywhere you want for clinicals, within reason. Other countries, states, etc. You have to submit a request to the committee and they will look into all the factors and have a decision for you. Some obvious prereqs apply including ability to speak the language of the area fluently and having a <80% grade score average I believe.

I hope that answers your question, let me know if I can clarify anything. :)

The students went into great deal about their experiences in the clinical rotations; however I assume you want to know about the clinical sites. They gave us a list of sites, primarily In Washington, Oregon, and Idaho. A caveat to this is that during your elective weeks in 4th year you can request to go anywhere you want for clinicals, within reason. Other countries, states, etc. You have to submit a request to the committee and they will look into all the factors and have a decision for you. Some obvious prereqs apply including ability to speak the language of the area fluently and having a <80% grade score average I believe.

I hope that answers your question, let me know if I can clarify anything. :)

So clinical sites are already in place? My worry is the previous NW path they used to have had like 1/10th of the students this new school will have so I wasn't sure if the old places would be willing to take such an influx of students.

So clinical sites are already in place? My worry is the previous NW path they used to have had like 1/10th of the students this new school will have so I wasn't sure if the old places would be willing to take such an influx of students.

They addressed this issue from a student that asked the same question. Right now I count 35 rotation sites, with the list probably growing as the times come closer. When you think about it, it's not that big of an influx. With the other schools established in the PNW already using some of the rotation sites listed, Western is only adding 70 or so bodies to the mix. Besides I do believe they are expanding the list past that of what they had before as well. (This last part is just conjecture, don't quote me on it.) In any case, I am sure that Western will have a large variety of sites, I mean they do well in CA and they have to have clinicals right along side all the California schools.

TLDR: There will be plenty for everyone.

I had a great time at the interview. Everybody was friendly and supportive. The information they gave out was very helpful. I was definitely tired by the end of the day, but I was never bored. There was an OMM demonstration from a local DO and the question and answer session with the current students was especially fun. The interview wasn't too intense, they just seemed to want to get to know you. It was my first interview so I was completely terrified. I really hope I get in, it is my top choice.

Hardest part is not the waiting, it's all your friends and family asking "Did you get in!?" Lol. People are more impatient about my prospects than I am.

Last edited:
I agree! Waiting is the hardest part. The interview day was a great experience and I hope I hear good news in a few weeks so I can cancel the rest of my interviews.

You know, during the day they stated that there were going to be 60-70 alternates this year. This number interests me.

There are 6 interview dates with about 50 people each = 300
There are 100 seats to be filled = 100
It is common practice to over accept students by about 50% or more = 50
There are supposedly 60-70 alternates = 70

150 acceptances issued + 70 alternates means that only 80 people are getting outright rejected? (ballparking of course)

Blah, mind is wandering and making up figures as I work... ha ha
Here is to hoping that time flies until our letters are sent out.

By the way looktme, I think I may have fed you some incorrect information. I recently emailed Jessica about your question (I have another interview coming up on the 1st of November) and she stated that the committee will be meeting on Thursday of next week (the 21st) and that they will be sending out the letters during the beginning of November. She also stated that we would need a "copy of the deposit information or the copy of the interview information for that request." So I guess you can call with a looming interview. My mistake.

For all of you still to interview, please consider the Phoenix Inn and Suites. They have awesome rooms, waffles for breakfast and its only 15 min from the school!

When I went for my interview I didn't know what to expect. But after all of the great presentations by an amazingly helpful and passionate staff I have to say that this campus is DEFINITELY my first choice! I love the curriculum, the rotations (and the great connections that are being made by current 3rd/4th year students at their sites), and especially the area!

The only thing I don't like so far is.... having to wait to see if I am accepted:scared: But I believe that I had a great interview experience, honestly the least stressful out of all others :thumbup: and I hope beyond all hope that I will be one of the lucky few to attend. :xf:

It was nice to meet you James! Good Luck to you

For all of you still to interview, please consider the Phoenix Inn and Suites. They have awesome rooms, waffles for breakfast and its only 15 min from the school!

When I went for my interview I didn't know what to expect. But after all of the great presentations by an amazingly helpful and passionate staff I have to say that this campus is DEFINITELY my first choice! I love the curriculum, the rotations (and the great connections that are being made by current 3rd/4th year students at their sites), and especially the area!

The only thing I don't like so far is.... having to wait to see if I am accepted:scared: But I believe that I had a great interview experience, honestly the least stressful out of all others :thumbup: and I hope beyond all hope that I will be one of the lucky few to attend. :xf:

It was nice to meet you James! Good Luck to you

Plus if you stay at Phx Inn you have an "Adult Shop" next door for your convience. My window faced it so that was fun. Too be honest though the Waffles were scrumptious and the hotel staff were accomodating and the next door neighbor doesn't attract too many people so no worries about it.

I can see why it takes 4 weeks. Think about a room full of adcoms sitting there with the director reading out information out loud as she said she would. 50 students, many things to read. Anyways, twas nice meeting you as well I hope all who hope to get in, will. Including me, God willing.

James... fyi there were only 39 interviewees that day. Just thought that would help your numbers calculation. Still 39 is a lot of people to analyze, as well as the pomona students(since its the same adcom for both).

Also, a lot of the people there designated both campuses on their app, so it is possible that not all 39 had Lebanon as their 1st choice.

Im just trying to keep optomistic as we have to wait another 2-3 weeks. From the pomona thread it seems like letters are usually recieved closer to 4 weeks than 3. Good luck everyone.

James... fyi there were only 39 interviewees that day. Just thought that would help your numbers calculation. Still 39 is a lot of people to analyze, as well as the pomona students(since its the same adcom for both).

Also, a lot of the people there designated both campuses on their app, so it is possible that not all 39 had Lebanon as their 1st choice.

Im just trying to keep optomistic as we have to wait another 2-3 weeks. From the pomona thread it seems like letters are usually recieved closer to 4 weeks than 3. Good luck everyone.

Lol. I like the way you think! Doin it right. Only 39? I didn't really count, I was just guessing. Hopefully that improves our chances. Still, that would increase the chance that many people are going to be accepted/alternate status.

Last edited:
Has it been 4 weeks already? Is it wrong that I keep checking my mailbox just in case they decided early? LOL

:xf:

... I think posting helps with the tension of awaiting a decision.

anyone interviewing Nov 6th?
Exciting! glad everyone had a positive experience interviewing!

Got an invite for Nov 6! I'll be driving down to Lebanon from Tacoma, WA on Nov 5th if anyone needs a ride from Portland let me know.

Man....I just want to know whether I got in already!!! The wait is killing me!!!! Come on acceptance letter!!

Been complete, letters and secondary, since August 13th. Called today and was told it would probably be another week or two before I heard anything, looking at my place in line.

Man....I just want to know whether I got in already!!! The wait is killing me!!!! Come on acceptance letter!!

Funny you should say that, according to Jessica, they are deciding our fates at this very moment.:xf:

Funny you should say that, according to Jessica, they are deciding our fates at this very moment.:xf:

Dang! Hopefully it ends up well for all of us. I'm curious if any of the administration from the Lebanon campus are part of this committee like DR. Crone or Dirk since the decision making is being done down in Pomona.

Dang! Hopefully it ends up well for all of us. I'm curious if any of the administration from the Lebanon campus are part of this committee like DR. Crone or Dirk since the decision making is being done down in Pomona.

Yeah I was wondering that too. Especially becuase I was informed that our interviews count for both campuses.