Western/COMP Lebanon Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got an acceptance call 10 days after my interview (but this was for the Dec interview date, and they wanted to get calls out before Christmas break)

Members don't see this ad.

I received an acceptance call from Dr. Pham eleven days after my interview. (Interviewed Feb 11th). Best of luck to you!

Looks like the class has filled! To those of you who are going to be here next year, welcome! I can wait to meet all of you! To those who went to other schools, happy trails! I wish you guys the best and hope our paths cross in the future! And finally, to those who didn't make it or were waitlisted; good luck next year! They say that if you really want to become a doc, you will make it; you just have to find the right path! Improve those applications, add to them, and you will be going though this crazy experience called medical school before you know it! Cheers guys!!!!
If class is full now and no one who interviewed in March has heard yet...

When they interviewed in March were there ANY spots left or were they interviewing for wait-list spots only?

What did they tell the students that interviewed?

Members don't see this ad :)
If class is full now and no one who interviewed in March has heard yet...

When they interviewed in March were there ANY spots left or were they interviewing for wait-list spots only?

What did they tell the students that interviewed?

There were spots according to administration as of March 10th. That was however the last interview day, so I'm certain that they have offered or will be offering acceptances soon.

From what I heard, they filled the class with decisions on March interviewees last Thursday. Notices for those who interviewed last week will not be sent out for a little while longer while they wait for some administrative crossing the i's and dotting the t's. My estimate is that it' will take 1-2 weeks before we hear anything.

From what I heard, they filled the class with decisions on March interviewees last Thursday. Notices for those who interviewed last week will not be sent out for a little while longer while they wait for some administrative crossing the i's and dotting the t's. My estimate is that it' will take 1-2 weeks before we hear anything.

I would concur. I believe they said not to call for at least 3 weeks.

I would like to say to everyone accepted welcome to COMP-NW and to all that are wait listed, you never know this school interviews about twice as much as they accept and not everyone will accept the offer. If you come here one thing is for sure, the DO's at our school are very well known in the Northwest and will be able to get you where you need to go for whatever residency program you decide. I really enjoy it here and I also am enjoying spring break A LOT!!!!! I was an ambassador for 3 of the interview days and everyone looked and acted very professionally, I was very impressed. All my best to everyone!

Alternate list movement depends on the year, size of the list, and other offers students may be holding. Last year the list was smaller so most were taken off and given an offer. I've heard that the list this year is larger, but I expect there to still be some decent movement once May/June rolls around and students begin committing to their desired programs. Just hold on tight and hopefully good news will come to those on the alternate list. Cross your fingers! Waiting sucks but hopefully it will be worth it in the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I am trying to figure out more information on the waitlist

As of what I have seen on the website and here it seems as though the average has been around 60 put on the list, but possibly a few more this year because of an increase in applications. I called a few weeks back and they said it isn't really ranked (or just wouldn't tell me) but that they review the entire file and then decide who gets in. I'm guessing there a bunch of us that have chosen other schools so in the next month or so more seats should open up.

Nope, but I will not be accepting if offered a seat. Hope this helps!

As of what I have seen on the website and here it seems as though the average has been around 60 put on the list, but possibly a few more this year because of an increase in applications. I called a few weeks back and they said it isn't really ranked (or just wouldn't tell me) but that they review the entire file and then decide who gets in. I'm guessing there a bunch of us that have chosen other schools so in the next month or so more seats should open up.

Lol... That is not how the alternate list works NJMed and you're first comment wasn't really that helpful either. If you have chosen another school, congrats. Please let those that know about the alternate list inform those that are asking questions and good luck at your other school.

To answer your question AKA, the reality is that the ones that have chosen this school by this time have (for the most part) chose this location as their top choice so there won't be a great deal of movement on the alternate list specifically. If you have made the alternate list, never give up hope, but I would start planning for next application cycle first and foremost. (still send in letters of intent to your schools, etc.)

Lol... That is not how the alternate list works NJMed and you're first comment wasn't really that helpful either. If you have chosen another school, congrats. Please let those that know about the alternate list inform those that are asking questions and good luck at your other school.

To answer your question AKA, the reality is that the ones that have chosen this school by this time have (for the most part) chose this location as their top choice so there won't be a great deal of movement on the alternate list specifically. If you have made the alternate list, never give up hope, but I would start planning for next application cycle first and foremost. (still send in letters of intent to your schools, etc.)

I can tell you the information that I have shared is directly from the Admissions Office. If there is misinformation (which it seems to be) I can not speak to that. As for those that have decided to matriculate here, yes, I would think by now most have made their decision. We are both making a huge assumption though, as many other schools are going through their wait list and a few are still actively interviewing. Surely, COMP Northwest has less movement than other schools due to many students interviewed are from the region and it is a small class. My intention is to express to those still waiting that I will no longer be interested in attending COMP Northwest, so that from a numbers standpoint there is potentially better odds.

When I contacted Jeannie in March she said they expected to begin reviewing alternates after April 10th, however when I spoke to her earlier this month she said that was no longer the case and they haven't even opened up the files. So don't stress too much if you haven't heard anything...they haven't started the 're-review' process yet.

Did she tell you when they would start reviewing again

Did she tell you when they would start reviewing again

I spoke with Jeanie last week after an OPSO meeting, and the COMP-NW class is full at this moment. I suspect that there will be some people that withdraw their acceptances in the next two weeks, because some of those that were accepted to COMP-NW are probably also waiting to hear back from OHSU (which is notorious for waiting to give out acceptances until early May). I have the feeling that SOME of the people that are chosen for OHSU will matriculate there instead, opening up spots for those on the wait list.

I predict if you watch the OHSU thread for movement, then I bet you will see movement on this thread as well.

Good luck to all that are waiting.
dsoz

She did not say, but I imagine, as dsoz said, it will probably coincide with acceptances to Ohsu.

*edit* they have begun reviewing.....JUST GOT THE ACCEPTANCE CALL! hope more of you hear good news soon as well.

Last edited:
yay congrats! this gives me hope. I wonder how many of us are on the wait list

Thank you for the congrats! I couldn't be more excited!

If you haven't already, I suggest contacting Jeannie to ask what you can do to improve you application. She was kind enough to let me know what the low points were in my application/interview. Ex) if their biggest concern is your grades, you can write about the things you have done to improve your study skills and how you have demonstrated your academic abilities.

I wrote them a letter of intent guaranteeing I would attend. I don't think they had received it prior to calling me, but I was still able to cater the letter to address my weaknesses.

I'm calling today to withdraw my acceptance, so someone from the wait list should get a call soon. Good luck everyone! Great school, awesome community, and excellent faculty...it was definitely not an easy decision.

Withdrew my acceptance today. Winner of the waitlist hunger games gets my spot. In all seriousness, this place is awesome and I wish the best to all of you who end up going here

My roommate just got an acceptance call this evening. So for those of us on the waiting list apparently there is still hope!

Does anybody know when the last day to withdraw an acceptance from here is?

Does anybody know when the last day to withdraw an acceptance from here is?

Technically you could withdraw an acceptance anytime up to the first day of classes, but that isn't very polite now is it? :)

Technically you could withdraw an acceptance anytime up to the first day of classes, but that isn't very polite now is it? :)

It would be incredibly stupid to do that, you are right. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something like a month before classes start or something like that. I loved COMP NW, and I have a very high level of respect for the school. I am on the alternate list at another school which would be a great opportunity for my family, as the city is much larger. That being said, I will of course notify Western as soon as I know more from the other school. I also dont want to take away any chances any other students might have at this excellent school. Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

Just withdrew from the wait-list. Good luck to all still waiting for an acceptance! :luck: