Western/COMP Lebanon Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know the details. That is a question for the interview day, although the Dean is working hard to speed up the transition. That may very well be true by this time next year. One of the biggest strengths of Lebanon is their current faculty. They are simply stellar and go above and beyond to teach you more than the basic curriculum. I would be confident to say we learn more clinical medicine than any other 1st year med student, even our Pomona counterparts simply because that is what the faculty strives for.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else getting nervous for interviews this Saturday? -_____-;;

Anyone else getting nervous for interviews this Saturday? -_____-;;

I had my first interview of this cycle today, so I'm hoping I won't be as nervous on Saturday. I'm really excited though, and can't wait to see the school!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm nervous and excited at the same time. I'm excited to start interview season. This is my first of 10 interviews.

Also, if anyone has any questions about the area and things to do feel free to ask me. I've lived here my entire life.

Last edited:
Did admissions comment on what style interview format the Lebanon campus is going with? Is it MMI?

I'm nervous and excited at the same time. I'm excited to start interview season. This is my first of 10 interviews.

Also, if anyone has any questions about the area and things to do feel free to ask me. I've lived here my entire life.

wow expensive.. how are you going to all of those??

wow expensive.. how are you going to all of those??
If I get accepted to Lebanon I'm going to cancel most of them. But Western, and PNWU are within driving distance. I've got 2 interview in AZ within 4 days of each other, so that is one trip. I've also been saving up money for a while in anticipation of this, in addition to working full time.

Note: if you are interviewing this Saturday, you will most likely spot some very stressed students camping out in study rooms. We have a big exam Monday so forgive us if we cannot talk for long or look sad. Pick the minds of those who volunteered to be student ambassadors since they have happily set aside time to take interviewees to lunch and give some informative tours!

Or we might be in the anatomy lab spreading that fascia. If I see you guys I'll definitely say hi. Good luck this weekend!

Or we might be in the anatomy lab spreading that fascia. If I see you guys I'll definitely say hi. Good luck this weekend!
Thanks, I'm looking forward to meeting everyone this weekend. I took a tour of the campus las week, and I loved the environment.

I'm going to try to see if the school will sanction a "pizza night" before the actual day of the interview where you guys can talk with us over some James' Gang Pizza. Until then, I (and maybe some others) would be more than happy to get together the night before to answer any questions you guys will have (In addition to the students that will be sharing lunch and the tour with you guys.) Let me know if this is something you guys would be interested in.

Good luck to everyone that is interviewing tomorrow. And if you can try to enjoy the area while you are here!

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope all of your interviews are going well, this sounds like a great school. I heard that the plan is to build an entire health sciences campus in Lebanon (through Samaritan?), and I'm wondering how far along the rest of the campus is coming.

Also, how is the commute between Eugene and Lebanon? My fiancee is applying to a masters program there, and my main criteria for medical school (the presence of a Chipotle and Chilis) are there (...but no Dunkin Donuts :()

I hope all of your interviews are going well, this sounds like a great school. I heard that the plan is to build an entire health sciences campus in Lebanon (through Samaritan?), and I'm wondering how far along the rest of the campus is coming.

Also, how is the commute between Eugene and Lebanon? My fiancee is applying to a masters program there, and my main criteria for medical school (the presence of a Chipotle and Chilis) are there (...but no Dunkin Donuts :()

So no one really knows the exact timeline of the rest of the "healthcare campus". The building that will be Samaritan's urgent care and an exercise facility for us should be done by this November. The credit union is coming along too.

One of our classmates commutes from Eugene. His gf lives there for work. He said it isn't that bad. His main complaint is that he doesn't feel like he is fully part of the class as others of us did, simply because it's more of a pain to drive back and forth to hang out. He is looking for an apartment in lebanon to sleep at during the week but it's definitely doable to just commute.
There are also a few students that live in Corvallis, few in Albany. I like living in Lebanon so I can live on campus and sleep in my bed and ride my bike in between for my exercise :)

(btw, I'm spying on the interviewees right now... good luck everyone! You all look great in your suits!)

Now the waiting begins. This is going to be a long 2 weeks.

(btw, I'm spying on the interviewees right now... good luck everyone! You all look great in your suits!)

Spies!!! :smuggrin:

All I can say is wow. I was thoroughly impressed by this school. You can really tell that the admissions committee takes great care in selecting its applicants. From the moment I stepped in the door I felt as though I belonged there. Even the applicants seemed to mesh quickly with each other, and there was no sense of "competition" - at least I didn't perceive it. It really seemed as though the faculty would go out on a ledge to assure the success of the student. Every student I talked to was friendly and openly helpful, despite the fact they had an anatomy exam right around the corner. The whole place had a wonderful sort of "family" feel..

It was nice to meet all of you, and I hope that our paths meet again in the near future! Good luck to you all! :luck:

Spies!!! :smuggrin:

All I can say is wow. I was thoroughly impressed by this school. You can really tell that the admissions committee takes great care in selecting its applicants. From the moment I stepped in the door I felt as though I belonged there. Even the applicants seemed to mesh quickly with each other, and there was no sense of "competition" - at least I didn't perceive it. It really seemed as though the faculty would go out on a ledge to assure the success of the student. Every student I talked to was friendly and openly helpful, despite the fact they had an anatomy exam right around the corner. The whole place had a wonderful sort of "family" feel..

It was nice to meet all of you, and I hope that our paths meet again in the near future! Good luck to you all! :luck:

This is very true to the heart of the school. We only have 7 interview dates, and while you guys were a small interview group (it's normally 48), Comp-NW chooses it's interviewees very carefully. The "family" feeling you felt is a good descriptive of how our class works as well. While we strive to do our individual best, there is none of this "gunner" competition going on. We are striving to get though this experience called medical school, with all it's ups and downs, together. I'm glad you enjoyed your time here. Hope to see some of you guys again come 2012. :)

I missed a phone call from Western NW earlier tonight! Eeeeek!

INTERVIEW 10/1! Wahooo! :) I'm smiling big right now, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Just scheduled my interview for 10/1! So excited :xf:

Good luck! Looks like I'll be there too. Where are you coming from?

I missed a phone call from Western NW earlier tonight! Eeeeek!

INTERVIEW 10/1! Wahooo! :) I'm smiling big right now, that's for sure.
Good Luck! Looks like I will be there too. Where are you coming from?

Tick...tock...tick...tock...
Yeah, luckily I will be working all weekend to help speed it up. But I'm so anxious and nervous at the same time:scared:. good luck with any other interviews that you have:thumbup:

For those of you who have already interviewed, what is interview day like? I have only experienced your everyday, run-of-the-mill, one-on-one interview so I am curious about your thoughts on both MMI and the panel interview. Thanks!!

For those of you who have already interviewed, what is interview day like? I have only experienced your everyday, run-of-the-mill, one-on-one interview so I am curious about your thoughts on both MMI and the panel interview. Thanks!!
I really liked the interview day. The first part of the day is presentations which we all felt kind of helped us relax a little bit. The interview is a panel interview, 3 people. at least 1 DO on the panel. The MMI was a little interesting, you have a minute to read a scenario, and then you spend 5 minutes in a room with someone. You have to stay in the room for the whole 5 minutes. The whole atmosphere is really friendly though, I thought that it was a fairly low stress day.

I actually didn't go through this year's interview process, but from what was floated around. You have a 30 minute panel interview with 3 individuals (DO's, CEO of Samaritan health maybe, and some professors). They also instituted MMI interview this year, where you will have two stations. I believe they toss you into a room with a patient encounter to play out a scenario. Morning portion is mostly information about the school and school setup. You have lunch in the student break room, then meet with student ambassadors who give you a tour of the school and answer your questions. During afternoon portion is the interviews. There will be about 48 interviewees. There is no formal tour of the city this year, so you will have to plan that yourself. It's a small town, but very friendly.

Yeah, luckily I will be working all weekend to help speed it up. But I'm so anxious and nervous at the same time:scared:. good luck with any other interviews that you have:thumbup:

Thanks, same to you! Do you have a lot coming up? An acceptance at Western crosses a bunch off the list for me. Fingers crossed! :xf:

Thanks, same to you! Do you have a lot coming up? An acceptance at Western crosses a bunch off the list for me. Fingers crossed! :xf:
Same with me, if I'm accepted at Western means that I cancel probably 5 interviews

I think we might have spoken on interview day. Were you the one with 9 or 10 DO interviews?
Yep I was the EMT, I think I sat across from you at lunch, being that you were the only one from the midwest.

Yep I was the EMT, I think I sat across from you at lunch, being that you were the only one from the midwest.

Awesome! Yes, that was me. Best of luck to you on your interviews coming up. Rock them out!

For those who attended our first interview day, did anyone mention that the curriculum is distance-learning based (that is, classes are streamed to our lecture hall in OR) and that this may not change by next year? I am enjoying it here overall but COMP-NW's interview day was not 100% transparent last year. I am hoping that they have improved this time around. Good luck to everyone!

For those who attended our first interview day, did anyone mention that the curriculum is distance-learning based (that is, classes are streamed to our lecture hall in OR) and that this may not change by next year? I am enjoying it here overall but COMP-NW's interview day was not 100% transparent last year. I am hoping that they have improved this time around. Good luck to everyone!

Yes, they did mention this. They also mentioned that they were trying to improve some facets of it (like asking questions etc.)

Did you feel as though this was largely distracting from your learning?

Depends on your learning style. For some people, they can only learn from a live lecturer and prefer someone in front of them talking to maintain focus. Others are fine with watching it on the big screen. The cool thing is that we can still ask the Pomona professor questions during class by using microphones. The school is attempting to move towards a 50/50 balance of live/streamed lectures. This could be in place by spring or next year, no one knows for sure. Things can change though, the school is constantly striving to perfect the current system and make things more equal for the Lebanon students by flying professors up from time to time to give live lectures, among other things. Who knows, maybe next year they will have full-time live lecturers here too, delivering the same powerpoint slide and material as Pomona. At the very least, expect to watch lectures for your basic science courses and other fluff classes when deciding if you'd like to attend COMP-NW.

I will say this though, by not having a live lecturer in front of you, people are more prone to skipping (a small minority, many stay). Lectures are recorded and you can watch it at home at 2x speed.

If you have any more questions, feel free to post them. It appears that there are a good number of Lebanon students that keep a regular eye on this forum. We are very enthusiastic about this school and want to share it with you all.

Yes, they did mention this. They also mentioned that they were trying to improve some facets of it (like asking questions etc.)

Did you feel as though this was largely distracting from your learning?

I don't mind it too much; for me, the biggest distraction is that I can't speak with the faculty members directly. I can email them but it isn't the same. In addition, our faculty here are fantastic and knowledgeable but they are largely powerless in when it comes to specific details about testing. In addition, the whole streaming thing has its own technical issues. This week we had two quizzes get botched and lectures delayed. That is super distracting. I'm just glad that they were upfront about this because it was never mentioned on my interview day.

I don't mind it too much; for me, the biggest distraction is that I can't speak with the faculty members directly. I can email them but it isn't the same. In addition, our faculty here are fantastic and knowledgeable but they are largely powerless in when it comes to specific details about testing. In addition, the whole streaming thing has its own technical issues. This week we had two quizzes get botched and lectures delayed. That is super distracting. I'm just glad that they were upfront about this because it was never mentioned on my interview day.

Thanks Race, I appreciate the response. By this do you mean the unapproachability of faculty related to questions on the exams? If so, I think this is almost a universal issue with medical schools, at least from what I have heard. I am used to being able to discuss exam questions with professors for clarification purposes etc. It will definitely be a big change for me not being able to do this as frequently.

Out of curiosity though, what happened with the quizzes?

Thanks again!

Depends on your learning style. For some people, they can only learn from a live lecturer and prefer someone in front of them talking to maintain focus. Others are fine with watching it on the big screen. The cool thing is that we can still ask the Pomona professor questions during class by using microphones. The school is attempting to move towards a 50/50 balance of live/streamed lectures. This could be in place by spring or next year, no one knows for sure. Things can change though, the school is constantly striving to perfect the current system and make things more equal for the Lebanon students by flying professors up from time to time to give live lectures, among other things. Who knows, maybe next year they will have full-time live lecturers here too, delivering the same powerpoint slide and material as Pomona. At the very least, expect to watch lectures for your basic science courses and other fluff classes when deciding if you'd like to attend COMP-NW.

I will say this though, by not having a live lecturer in front of you, people are more prone to skipping (a small minority, many stay). Lectures are recorded and you can watch it at home at 2x speed.

If you have any more questions, feel free to post them. It appears that there are a good number of Lebanon students that keep a regular eye on this forum. We are very enthusiastic about this school and want to share it with you all.

Thanks Law. The faculty made it seem like attendance for lectures was mandatory, even though they are streamed. Is this the case?
I am one who does better when I am not at home for lectures, so it wouldn't be an issue for me either way.

Regarding the question asking during lectures, I think that is definitely a great start. The school seemed committed to improving, and I really liked that.

Thanks Race, I appreciate the response. By this do you mean the unapproachability of faculty related to questions on the exams? If so, I think this is almost a universal issue with medical schools, at least from what I have heard. I am used to being able to discuss exam questions with professors for clarification purposes etc. It will definitely be a big change for me not being able to do this as frequently.

Out of curiosity though, what happened with the quizzes?

Thanks again!

Here is my interpretation of Racewad's comment. Although the lectures are streamed from Pomona, we have a full complement of anatomy faculty to run the labs and give lectures from time to time. Although they are absolutely amazing and knowledgeable, they do not write the exam questions. The professor who gives the lecture on the stream is the one who does. From time to time, we do run into contradictions between individuals on certain details, and the detail that you do want to know and answer for the exam are the ones by the professor who writes the questions and is located down in Pomona. This makes it hard for us to sometime grab a hold of the Pomona professor for clarification, since our options are limited to email and during class time. These issues do come up, but for the most part it doesn't really affect the overall outcome since lecture notes are pretty comprehensive and most facts you need to know is on there somewhere.

Quizzes: They are 5 question clicker quizzes administered at the start of a lecture. Think of it as roll call, since you only need to score 3/5 questions right to get 1-point for the day. The botched quizzes mentioned was the fact that Lebanon connects remotely to a server to register our clicker answers. During 2 days, our server crashed midway through the test for Lebanon so Pomona did not receive our answers. Everybody was given full credit for the quizzes, although the IT people did take up a lot of class time trying to fix the glitch before giving up. Technical difficulties happen, but for the most part things haven't been bad and have been steadily improving for the better. If anything, I would say the clicker portion of things go much smoother in Lebanon than Pomona. They have over 300 students in their class and if there is someone's clicker is malfunctioning, it's from down there and not up here.

What I do like is how the school makes every effort to overcome glitches. At the very beginning, one lecture's time got cut in half due to technical difficulties and the professor had to rush through his material (which no longer really happen, it should be a non-issue by next year). The school responded to this by putting up the recorded lecture for that day's material from last year's class.

The school does say attendance is mandatory and "enforces" it by having a clicker quiz at the beginning of lecture as I mentioned above. But once you've submitted your answers, nobody stops you from leaving, and they never administer more than one quiz a day per subject. If you don't care about getting the point, then you don't need to show up. People won't get on your case about it, unless you start doing poorly in class. Same with dress code, we were worried that there would be a strict dress code, but people have been dressing up however they please.

I write a lot, but I hope this information is helpful to any of you who choose to read it. This campus is pretty awesome and I'm really enjoying my experiences here. Many of the "issues" brought up now will be probably resolved long before you start class. We have monthly town hall meetings with the dean to voice our opinions on aspects that work and don't work, so that she can make changes to make this school a better place. One person asked for more trash cans, and by the next day, there they were!

It is a sad day. I just removed myself from this year's application process. :(

I am going to be sure to be in the first to interview next year.

Good luck to all in your process.

dsoz

Here is my take on everything.... In my interview they were completely up front about the whole streaming portion of this school and I knew full well that it was going to be a part of our education. The complaints you hear are somewhat justified as the schools are getting everything ironed out, but are in no way detracting from my medical education. As far as the whole streaming thing goes, Western is a highly reputed school and we get streaming from that campus, sounds pretty good to me. Also, the whole "we cannot talk to the professors" statement is misleading. We can ask the streaming professor questions at the end of the lecture, write him emails, post on discussion boards, etc. The only thing we cannot do is attend the professors office hours, but we have many PhD's, MD's, DO's on staff that we can ask questions to (and in my opinion, they are just as versed if not more than the ones on the CA campus.) Our professors sit in on our lectures and know what the streaming professors goals are.

Another thing Western is trying to do with this "balance with lectures" thing is they actually are flying up professors from California to lecture to us and stream to them, in addition to our own faculty giving some lectures in which we stream to them. All in all there are some kinks to work out, but let us, the first class worry about that, and by the time you guys get here, things will run a little smoother. That are many things that the class is doing and leaving behind for you guys; Like a nice sound system in the anatomy lab to listen to music while dissecting (just an example).

Another fact that is floating around in my head right now is that we have Dean's Town Hall meetings once a month or so. This is where the dean (Dr. Crone) comes in and it's just us and her. No other faculty are allowed. She "lets down her hair" so to speak and talks to us frankly and asks us what we think so far and what needs to be changed. We have given feedback on many little things and Western has done much to comply. We asked for another bike rack as the ones outside were overfilled and we received one. We asked for clocks and trashcans and received them. We asked for longer hours for our building on the weekends and it magically happened. Yes this CAMPUS is new, but the school isn't and is well respected. The small hiccups aren't really that distracting and many of them will be ironed out by the time you guys get here; we have both faculty and classmates working on that. :)

I don't want this thread to get clogged with arguments between current first year students so I will try and be more clear.

I never said we cannot speak with the faculty members in Pomona; nothing is further from the truth. What I said was that, for me, not having the faculty who are writing the test questions face to face was problematic. I never meant to make it seem as if all of our faculty are disinterested or anything like that. Quite the contrary, really (for both Pomona and Lebanon). If you're like me and like to meet with people face to face, it can be hard when the lecturer is in Pomona; I wanted people to use this information to help make a good decision for themselves. The sound system is a bit of a non-sequitor since the lab already had a sound system :rolleyes: But, yes, that's an issue for us first-years :)

Also, it is only my personal experience, but the distance learning component was never discussed in my interview last February (at the very least, it was not given the profile I feel it should have). I'm glad that others had a different experience but I know I'm not the only one who was caught by surprise.

At any rate, I agree that the administration is working hard to make things happen. The town-hall meetings have been great; I think Dean Crone is truly invested in our individual success. But let's be serious-trashcans and clocks aren't exactly the most amazing gestures ever. I'm more interested in the school's meeting with the AOA in January and whether Dean Crone will be able to get COMP-NW to administer the curriculum how they chose and not have us be so intimately tied to CA. Imagine how great things would be then!

I encourage everyone to apply because I think COMP-NW is fantastic. I also feel that there are some things that should be talked about so that students can, as individuals, decide what "hiccups" will or will not be distracting to their education.

Quick positives about the streaming etc right now..
Not only do we have access to some top-notch educators in Pomona, but we have 4 full time, excellent, qualified and dedicated anatomy staff.
These professors stay until midnight if students need help. They also come in on weekends. Almost any time of the day, including weekends, there is an anatomy faculty member willing to dedicate their time to teaching you. On top of their dedication- their experience and knowledge base is amazing.
I honestly feel like I am getting the absolute best anatomy education in the country. I hope they explained how awesome our anatomy course is on interview day :)
I'm happy to hear that the family vibe was felt. That's exactly how we are. We are all driven, work hard to do our personal best but are also dedicated to our classmates and helping each other succeed. I am REALLY happy here!

Sounds like we aren't going to know until at least Monday :( I keep running to check the mail, as soon as it gets here

Sounds like we aren't going to know until at least Monday :( I keep running to check the mail, as soon as it gets here

I hear ya. Day 13 today (not that I'm counting haha). I really had hoped to hear something by now. How have your other interviews been going?

I hear ya. Day 13 today (not that I'm counting haha). I really had hoped to hear something by now. How have your other interviews been going?
I've haven't had any yet. It starts picking up next week, I have one on Monday, which should be fun to go to, because right now I am really sick. Fever of 103, nausea, vomiting all the fun stuff, body aches so bad I can barely move. I'm hoping I feel better by the time Monday rolls around