Western/COMP Lebanon Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've haven't had any yet. It starts picking up next week, I have one on Monday, which should be fun to go to, because right now I am really sick. Fever of 103, nausea, vomiting all the fun stuff, body aches so bad I can barely move. I'm hoping I feel better by the time Monday rolls around

Oh wow, that sucks. I am sick as well actually... Just got back from the doc. Hope you feel better by Monday, and good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Oh wow, that sucks. I am sick as well actually... Just got back from the doc. Hope you feel better by Monday, and good luck! :luck:
Thanks, I get to fly to FL tomorrow morning. I was excited to realize I can actually swim in the ocean without freezing like in Oregon. 85 degrees vs 60 degrees:laugh:

Thanks, I get to fly to FL tomorrow morning. I was excited to realize I can actually swim in the ocean without freezing like in Oregon. 85 degrees vs 60 degrees:laugh:

Haha, yep! That's the difference between "the beach" and "the coast." :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is today the day, guys? I'm several hours away from my mailbox, so you'll have to let me know if the rest of my day will be spent in unbearable anticipation.

Is today the day, guys? I'm several hours away from my mailbox, so you'll have to let me know if the rest of my day will be spent in unbearable anticipation.

I sure hope so. Western said 10-15 days, and today is day 16. I'm a bit stir crazy myself. Good luck to all!

Alas, a trip to the mailbox revealed nothing but junk mail... :(

Canceling my interview for this saturday tomorrow morning, hopefully someone will still be able to snag my spot!

Accepted...got the call. Class of 2016:D Wish they had a smiley face with happy tears....Congrats to all.......

Accepted as well! I received the call while at another interview of all times.. I managed to listen to the voicemail (before my actual interview), imagine how that affected my day! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope they're not done calling! Didn't receive one yesterday and I'm afraid that's not a good sign.

Congrats guys on your acceptances! See you guys in the fall, let me know if you have any questions!

Also, for those of you that are coming to the friday pizza event, see you all there!

I'm just double checking that we are supposed to have our deposit by December 15th right? I don't want it to end up being 30 days from the letter.

hey guys...i am new to this site...i got the call on the 28th as well and just wanted to say congrats to everyone...

@DoogieHowserDO.....super lame...sorry to hear your news, and i wish you the best of luck!
@emtthink....yes, December 15th is the day!....congrats.

Do you mind me asking what your stats are?
3.3/28/NW resident. Not sure what happened. I really thought this school was the perfect fit for me, but it looks like they felt otherwise. At least I got to wear their white coat for a few seconds while they took our sizes! :)

Congrats to all that got accepted! I found their passion and pride towards the school to be contagious. You can tell the students really love it there.

3.3/28/NW resident. Not sure what happened. I really thought this school was the perfect fit for me, but it looks like they felt otherwise. At least I got to wear their white coat for a few seconds while they took our sizes! :)

Congrats to all that got accepted! I found their passion and pride towards the school to be contagious. You can tell the students really love it there.
Well, you will get accepted somewhere else. Are you interviewing at PNWU?

Doogie- did Western tell you WHY you were straight up rejected? Was there something wrong with your application? Did you not interview well? Where was the problem?

3.3 is slightly lower than average GPA for COMP, but the 28 is slightly higher and should compensate...

I am glad to hear that you have an acceptance at another school. So at least you get to be a med student somewhere.

dsoz

Just interviewed on Oct 1st and I absolutely loved this place. I wasn't sure what to expect going in, but this school really seems to have it's deal together. I have interviewed at several other schools, bot MD and DO, and I have never been so impressed by the presentation put on by the school. You can really tell how dedicated the faculty are, and the community of Lebanon is behind the school all the way (love the doctor bags btw, even if they are slightly impractical).

The only thing working against the school for me is location; my fiancee will be going to school in Eugene, nearly an hour away, so the commute is going to be painful.

Just interviewed on Oct 1st and I absolutely loved this place. I wasn't sure what to expect going in, but this school really seems to have it's deal together. I have interviewed at several other schools, bot MD and DO, and I have never been so impressed by the presentation put on by the school. You can really tell how dedicated the faculty are, and the community of Lebanon is behind the school all the way (love the doctor bags btw, even if they are slightly impractical).

The only thing working against the school for me is location; my fiancee will be going to school in Eugene, nearly an hour away, so the commute is going to be painful.

I'm so glad to hear you liked it!! we all really do love it here- it wasn't an act at all. I really grateful that I ended up here.
My Fiance lives in Seattle, so an hour is wayyyy better than the 4 and a half hour drive I endure :) (it's the closest you're going to get to eugene for medical school).

also, I believe COMP's MCAT average is 29

I also interviewed on the 1st! I thought this school would pretty much be my top choice, but after visiting, I KNOW it is. I was so impressed by everything and everyone! Fingers AND toes crossed!!:xf: For those who have heard back already, am I understanding correctly that the committee will meet this Thursday and make their decision regarding this whole group? Will we be getting calls and letters, and how early can we expect them? (I believe 2 weeks is about the max?). Thanks!!! :D

I also interviewed on the 1st! I thought this school would pretty much be my top choice, but after visiting, I KNOW it is. I was so impressed by everything and everyone! Fingers AND toes crossed!!:xf: For those who have heard back already, am I understanding correctly that the committee will meet this Thursday and make their decision regarding this whole group? Will we be getting calls and letters, and how early can we expect them? (I believe 2 weeks is about the max?). Thanks!!! :D
...I felt the same way as you after the interview :) It was so refreshing to see the passion everyone had towards the school....
I am not entirely sure about when the committee meets and all that, but in the booklet it says you should hear back within 10-15 days....we got our phone calls 18 days later...I don't know about everyone else, but it was a nerve-wracking wait !!

...I felt the same way as you after the interview :) It was so refreshing to see the passion everyone had towards the school....
I am not entirely sure about when the committee meets and all that, but in the booklet it says you should hear back within 10-15 days....we got our phone calls 18 days later...I don't know about everyone else, but it was a nerve-wracking wait !!

If we are accepted, how long do we have for our initial deposit?

I loved this school as well! Interviewed on October 1st and I am anxiously waiting for the letter in the mail!!! I was so nervous during the interview and felt like my voice kept cracking! Was anyone else that nervous? And I know that some of my answers weren't great... Do you think they overlook some of it because they know we are nervous? Or does appearing that nervous show a lack of confidence??
It was weird because I am usually so comfortable with interviews and talking to people and I guess I just psyched myself out!
Good luck everyone!!!

I was definitely nervous too on my interview day last year. I didn't even remember any of the faces of the people I met that day. We will never know how they interpret your answers and your state of presentation. Really depends on who interviewed you. Most of them are nice, a slight few are exceptionally harder. Good luck and I hope you hear good news in 2 weeks.

Its so awesome to get on here and see how excited you all are!!! Especially when I'm beat from a full week of tests! Tough but well worth it. The school, faculty, staff and students here are amazing. I couldn't be happier! I wish you all the best of luck in being accepted! And, never count yourself out---if you're meant to be here it will happen...I was accepted off the waitlist about a month before school started. :D

Its so awesome to get on here and see how excited you all are!!! Especially when I'm beat from a full week of tests! Tough but well worth it. The school, faculty, staff and students here are amazing. I couldn't be happier! I wish you all the best of luck in being accepted! And, never count yourself out---if you're meant to be here it will happen...I was accepted off the waitlist about a month before school started. :D
...That is so cool to hear :) I feel the same way about the "if you are meant to be here, it will happen"...I am definitely a non-traditional student/applicant, and I feel like everything finally fell into place for me. Thanks for the well wishes!

Interviewed at the Lebanon campus last Saturday! It was such a fantastic group of people. I've never felt so accepted and happy at a school!

This school has easily the most welcoming, friendly, intelligent-but-not-cocky atmosphere of any I've seen so far. Both the teachers and the students were so kind. And the anatomy lab! Oh, man, I think I could easily spend hours in it. I feel like the interviews went well, but I think everyone probably did. I really want to get in, though! It's my first choice. :xf:

Best of luck, everyone! Let me know when you hear. Sounds like the last group found out almost exactly two weeks after via phone call. Hope it goes the same for us!

Interviewed at the Lebanon campus last Saturday! It was such a fantastic group of people. I've never felt so accepted and happy at a school!

This school has easily the most welcoming, friendly, intelligent-but-not-cocky atmosphere of any I've seen so far. Both the teachers and the students were so kind. And the anatomy lab! Oh, man, I think I could easily spend hours in it. I feel like the interviews went well, but I think everyone probably did. I really want to get in, though! It's my first choice. :xf:

Best of luck, everyone! Let me know when you hear. Sounds like the last group found out almost exactly two weeks after via phone call. Hope it goes the same for us!

Oh... you will be spending hours.... and hours and hours... but we just got the sound system today... and I am almost jealous! Spending time in the lab is pretty awesome, but the gentle rhythm of the scottish jig in the background, would make it even better. (Inside joke if you don't know Dr. Benninger.) Oh btw, you guys should look up Dr. B. if you're bored, I keep learning more and more about him everyday. He has his own vein named after him, and his own test. Oh and also, he greatly contributed to "Netter's Atlas." That is like one of the holy grails of anatomy texts. EXTREMELY good faculty at this facility. Anyways... carry on, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you all. :xf:

Oh... you will be spending hours.... and hours and hours... but we just got the sound system today... and I am almost jealous! Spending time in the lab is pretty awesome, but the gentle rhythm of the scottish jig in the background, would make it even better. (Inside joke if you don't know Dr. Benninger.) Oh btw, you guys should look up Dr. B. if you're bored, I keep learning more and more about him everyday. He has his own vein named after him, and his own test. Oh and also, he greatly contributed to "Netter's Atlas." That is like one of the holy grails of anatomy texts. EXTREMELY good faculty at this facility. Anyways... carry on, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you all. :xf:

Thanks! The more I learn about this school, the more I want to go there. It's so hard waiting to find out whether I'm in or not! Hope we get to be schoolmates someday, JamesLMT!

James beat me to it but I promise, you'll have plenty of time in the lab. It's worth it though, especially, especially when practical averages are published ;) Not that we're competitive, of course.

@Lysase-The commute to Eugene isn't that bad. Traffic is usually not too bad; my wife is able to get it done in about 40min or so. It isn't perfect, but it could be waaayyy worse. Ask nads1219 has alluded to. Anyhow, it will work out.

I'm excited that the next class is being accepted! Take a break for the next 9 months or whatever. You'll need it.

As everyone continues to interview here and at other schools, here is another good question to ask at the interview:

Does your med school bring a helicopter to class? Lebanon does! Flight paramedics were in anatomy lab today teaching us how to intubate, and we practiced on our cadavers. They even brought their helicopter and let us sit in it =) I can only wonder what this school will do next... can't wait!

James beat me to it but I promise, you'll have plenty of time in the lab. It's worth it though, especially, especially when practical averages are published ;) Not that we're competitive, of course.

@Lysase-The commute to Eugene isn't that bad. Traffic is usually not too bad; my wife is able to get it done in about 40min or so. It isn't perfect, but it could be waaayyy worse. Ask nads1219 has alluded to. Anyhow, it will work out.

I'm excited that the next class is being accepted! Take a break for the next 9 months or whatever. You'll need it.

Thanks, I thought the drive was closer to an hour. I'll just have to see.

As everyone continues to interview here and at other schools, here is another good question to ask at the interview:

Does your med school bring a helicopter to class? Lebanon does! Flight paramedics were in anatomy lab today teaching us how to intubate, and we practiced on our cadavers. They even brought their helicopter and let us sit in it =) I can only wonder what this school will do next... can't wait!
Was it REACH or Lifeflight? I'm guessing REACH because they have a helicopter based in Corvallis