Western/COMP Lebanon Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Current students- would it be beneficial to get a voice recorder to record the lectures, to listen back on?

Members don't see this ad.

Current students- would it be beneficial to get a voice recorder to record the lectures, to listen back on?

There is no need for one. Every class is video/audio recorded and available for streaming, audio or video download by the end of the day. Some students elect to listen to the recordings because they can play it back 2x faster (some professors speak very slowly). There are rare technical issues and lectures aren't recorded, but it isn't really an issue since many professors read verbatim from their slides and supplemental material. You could get away with never coming to lecture and just studying purely off slides from the comfort of your bed and PJ's.

The only time I think the recorder would come in handy is for anatomy lab. The professor will often give impromptu review sessions (at unpredictable times i.e. 11pm-1am) over the cadaver bodies and will give many helpful hints that will help students destroy their practical exams. It's sometime's hard to write down everything he says since he goes so fast, or the fact that he's giving the session at 2am and you're just tired. I don't think it's worth the cost of buying a recorder for 1 class that is only 10 weeks long.

There is no need for one. Every class is video/audio recorded and available for streaming, audio or video download by the end of the day. Some students elect to listen to the recordings because they can play it back 2x faster (some professors speak very slowly). There are rare technical issues and lectures aren't recorded, but it isn't really an issue since many professors read verbatim from their slides and supplemental material. You could get away with never coming to lecture and just studying purely off slides from the comfort of your bed and PJ's.

The only time I think the recorder would come in handy is for anatomy lab. The professor will often give impromptu review sessions (at unpredictable times i.e. 11pm-1am) over the cadaver bodies and will give many helpful hints that will help students destroy their practical exams. It's sometime's hard to write down everything he says since he goes so fast, or the fact that he's giving the session at 2am and you're just tired. I don't think it's worth the cost of buying a recorder for 1 class that is only 10 weeks long.
Awesome, thanks. I'm trying to make a Christmas list, since I never have anything I really want for Christmas or birthdays. Trying to think of stuff I will need for school next year:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
All I want for Christmas is sleep too. I'll probably hibernate all break. It's almost pathological that I'm up this late still studying for a test 4 days away. I think the sun's rising... oh wait it's raining cats and dogs

My best advice is treat yourself to a vacation somewhere sunny, cause you ain't gonna see sun ever again being cooped up in a room studying for 23423542 hours just to hit that 70% and pass. (individualized experiences and personal goals may vary)

Material things and school supplies can be left till later and be bought with loan money. It's all pennies in the bucket in the grand scheme of things.

Awesome, thanks. I'm trying to make a Christmas list, since I never have anything I really want for Christmas or birthdays. Trying to think of stuff I will need for school next year:laugh:

I already have one and will be happy to share my recordings with you starting next fall:)

I already have one and will be happy to share my recordings with you starting next fall:)
That would be great. Are guys required to purchase your own otoscopes and stuff like that? I already have my own stethoscope that I use at work. Better than the ones my company provides (easier to hear BP's while driving 60 MPH)

That would be great. Are guys required to purchase your own otoscopes and stuff like that? I already have my own stethoscope that I use at work. Better than the ones my company provides (easier to hear BP's while driving 60 MPH)

You do need to buy your own stuff. This year, they had us buy our junk a couple of days before our loans disbursed. Sucky. Moral of the story: bring $600 to orientation (minus the cost of your stethoscope, of course).

You do need to buy your own stuff. This year, they had us buy our junk a couple of days before our loans disbursed. Sucky. Moral of the story: bring $600 to orientation (minus the cost of your stethoscope, of course).
Goody more money. It's ok, I'm living rent free this year, which means all my money from working is going directly into savings and CD's(yay higher interest rates). Also do they require certain brands (I could probably get the stuff cheaper online)

I think I got the right thread.What are chances of acceptance after interview?How do we prepare for MMI?Do they emphasize primary care and rural practice.I have an interview on Dec. 10.Would anybody be interested in sharing ride and room? Please PM me.Thanks

I think I got the right thread.What are chances of acceptance after interview?How do we prepare for MMI?Do they emphasize primary care and rural practice.I have an interview on Dec. 10.Would anybody be interested in sharing ride and room? Please PM me.Thanks

If you're looking for the Western U - Lebanon Oregon campus, then you're in the right spot!

I would say chances of an acceptance is decent once you make it to the interview stage, although I don't have the statistics to back it up on hand. The main part of the interview will be with a 3-person panel (composed of DO's, dignitaries, and so forth). Standard questions including why DO. The MMI component is 2 stations in clinic rooms. You will be given a scenario to act out at each station with an actor. It probably tests communication, ability to handle yourself under pressure and ect ect.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey ry215, are you from out of state? you flying in?

i'll be flying in on the 9th into portland. if you are in that area, i'll be taking a car out to lebanon.

I'll be driving from Idaho tomorrow and staying at the Phoenix Inn -- if anyone would like a ride from there to the school in the morning, let me know! Looking forward to meeting everyone tomorrow :D

Is it too early to get a sweatshirt or window decal???:eyebrow: Just asking.....

I think you guys need to take the year to relax and chill out...then come here and get blindsided and financially destroyed like all the rest of us did...if you get all prepared you will be missing out on the TRUE first year med student experience :D

Hey guys- I'm flying into Portland from Idaho tomorrow and then driving to Lebanon from there. Well, Albany, but close enough. I'm staying at the Phoenix Inn as well, so ditto what Trailhead said- if anyone needs a ride to the school in the morning, let me know. See you guys on Saturday!

It was great meeting my fellow interviewees today. Good luck everyone!

Just back from Lebanon -- what an incredible interview experience! Everyone there made you feel incredibly welcome and already part of the Western family. You could tell that each faculty member and student there loves being part of the school. The MMI stations were actually pretty fun and I definitely lucked out with the panel interview -- one D.O, one Ph.D, and one M.D., all very welcoming and genuinely interested in what I had to say. Now the waiting game! Would LOVE to attend this school. Good luck to my fellow interviewees!

Hey guys- I'm taking my name out of the running. Good luck to you all!

I've been following this thread for a long time but this is my first post. I just got an interview invite for COMP-NW yesterday and am really excited. Looking forward to 12/10!

congrats! do you mind sharing when you were complete?

Thanks! I got an email saying Secondary Applicatio​n Received on 10/28. I'm not sure when I was complete for sure though. It's my first invite and I love Oregon, so I'm happy!

Congrats! I will see you there as well! We should grab all the interviewees and grab lunch or something after all of it is said and done.

Congrats! I will see you there as well! We should grab all the interviewees and grab lunch or something after all of it is said and done.
I would make it dinner, I didn't get done with my interview until 1530

Still on hold, grades coming in in four weeks. I'm so nervous! At best, I'll probably get a B in three classes and an A in the other two. I might even end up with a C in biochem after getting sick before the first midterm.

Still hoping though! Wish me luck!

I received a call from Dr Pham today with pre-holiday news of an acceptance to the class of 2016! so far that is two acceptances.

Just got the call today as well!!! I've only interviewed here so far, have an interview at AZCOM next week, but I'm super excited because I really liked this school!

Just got the call today as well!!! I've only interviewed here so far, have an interview at AZCOM next week, but I'm super excited because I really liked this school!

Congrats! I'm also headed down to AZCOM next week (interview on Wednesday), when are you going to be there?

Congrats to all of the acceptances so far! That is definitely awesome for some pre-thanksgiving news =) I can only hope we, the students, gave you a good impression during your stay here. Good luck to those with more interviews this season, and have a great turkey day!

first post ever, but just couldn't contain myself!!!! i got a pretty awesome pre-thanksgiving call! ACCEPTED!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D

I've been lurking in the shadows of this thread for a while now. I have an interview for 12/10 and I'm super excited and nervous about it. This school is probably my top choice (PCOM is also pretty high on my list but they are taking their sweet time). I'm flying into PDX (from SLC, Utah) on 12/9 around mid day and leaving PDX on 12/11. I'd love to possibly share a car ride with fellow interviewees and maybe hit up some of Lebanon's hottest clubs :banana: (JJKA, Member052012, and ry215 I'm looking at you).

Does anyone know if there is going to be another pizza get together for the December interviewees like they did for the November ones?

Last question for those who have been accepted: Were any of you offered acceptance before completing all of the pre-requisites? I need a couple behavioral science credits still and I am currently taking general psych to cover those. I want to know if it's a possibility for them to offer me a tentative acceptance before they receive those final grades or if I'll have to be waitlisted and then have them make a decision after they see my grades.

Anyone know if there is going to be another pizza get together for the December interviewees like they did for the November ones?

I will answer the question I can. There will always be a pizza night get together before the interview day. That is for you guys to come and ask the students frank questions, meet with fellow interviewees, and just get a feel for what you are looking for. You should have gotten an email if you haven't already from jeannie for and RSVP. I hope to see ya there.

Last question for those who have been accepted: Were any of you offered acceptance before completing all of the pre-requisites? I need a couple behavioral science credits still and I am currently taking general psych to cover those. I want to know if it's a possibility for them to offer me a tentative acceptance before they receive those final grades or if I'll have to be waitlisted and then have them make a decision after they see my grades.

When I was accepted early fall, I hadn't completed any behavioral science classes (I needed 10 credits). All I had to do was make sure I took those classes by end of spring term and send my transcript in to the registrar's office. You must get all requirements done by spring term, because summer courses overlaps with the start of med school.

In general, if you have only a few requirement courses to complete, med schools don't mind. If you apply and lack more than half, then thats not good.

I've been lurking in the shadows of this thread for a while now. I have an interview for 12/10 and I'm super excited and nervous about it. This school is probably my top choice (PCOM is also pretty high on my list but they are taking their sweet time). I'm flying into PDX (from SLC, Utah) on 12/9 around mid day and leaving PDX on 12/11. I'd love to possibly share a car ride with fellow interviewees and maybe hit up some of Lebanon's hottest clubs :banana: (JJKA, Member052012, and ry215 I'm looking at you).

Hey, so I'll actually be flying into PDX same day (12/9) and flying out (12/11) same day as you. I already have a car set up with Avis to be picked up. I don't have access to my flight itinerary at the moment, but I'll update you on when I get in and leave. I would definitely be up for sharing the cost of a car and not to mention have a fellow interviewee accompany me to Lebanon. Let me know what you think.

Anybody flying into Eugene airport on 12/9 and coming back 12/11? I have a rent a car and booking at Phoenix Inn. PM me if anybody wants to share the rent a car and room.

Well guys,

As much as I liked this school / program, I made the decision to withdraw my acceptance today. I hope that someone on the wait list will benefit from this, and will enjoy all that WesternU has to offer. Good luck to everyone!

I've been lurking around in this thread for a while now, but since my interview is just next week, I thought I'd post. I'm really getting excited about the Lebanon campus, I think it has jumped up to my #1 school. Everyone seems so nice and I have a feeling I will feel right at home there. Not to mention the strong curriculum, multiple campuses, focus on osteopathic medicine, awesome setting, close to family, and rural and international clinical opportunities. Couldn't ask for more, now I just hope I get accepted! Anyways, hope to meet some of you next week..

I've been lurking around in this thread for a while now, but since my interview is just next week, I thought I'd post. I'm really getting excited about the Lebanon campus, I think it has jumped up to my #1 school. Everyone seems so nice and I have a feeling I will feel right at home there. Not to mention the strong curriculum, multiple campuses, focus on osteopathic medicine, awesome setting, close to family, and rural and international clinical opportunities. Couldn't ask for more, now I just hope I get accepted! Anyways, hope to meet some of you next week..

Come out to the pizza night if you can!

Yeah I was able to get an early flight, so I'll definitely be there! Is it just interviewees and current students that will be there, pretty informal?

Yeah I was able to get an early flight, so I'll definitely be there! Is it just interviewees and current students that will be there, pretty informal?

Yep...10 or so students there and pretty informal. Just a nice relaxing evening, food and chat :) Best of luck at your interview:xf:

Yep, though, Jeannie Davis will be there as well to greet you all (and pay for the pizza. :p Thanks WesternU) but after that it's just chatting with the students asking any questions that you want to ask and it not having any bearing on your application status.

Thanks for the replies zann and James. Pizza night sounds like a lot of fun, I'm glad I paid the little extra $$ to get an earlier ticket.