Western or Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AbcessivelyCompulsive

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry to be one of those people that post up threads like this, but I really need help making this decision. I got into both Tufts and Western (still waiting to hear back on Columbia), and the deadline for the deposit is coming up. I'm dead stuck on the middle between them, and my pros and cons list is pretty much even. They're pretty much even in terms of tuition.. HELPP

A few things about myself:
I'm from California, and I have an adventurous spirit. I currently live in LA, and I thrive most when I have a community to stay active with. Not quite sure if I want to specialize..

Western:

Pros:
- Class size of 80
- Humanistic approach to learning
- State-of-the-art facilities
- Within the same state as family/girlfriend
- Cheaper cost of living
- California is freakin' awesome, duh.

Cons:
- Less reputable
- No specialties (though that gives more exposure to complex cases)
- Living in the middle of nowhere..
- I would be comfortable. Not a new experience

Tufts

Pros:
- Brand name school.. much more reputable
- More opportunities, larger alumni network
- Has all the specializations
- Boston is such a great city for students
- It would be challenging, but new city, new experiences, more connections to build a network
- Running groups!

Cons:
- Large class size (~200)
- Winters suck
- Higher cost of living
- It would be far from my family and friends.. coast-to-coast long distance sounds horrendous to me.

Members don't see this ad.

Name doesn't matter.

Cheaper, closer to home, awesome weather. Come on...

Reactions: 8 users
Cons:
- Winters suck

This deserves like five bullet points.
Seriously, don't underestimate the power of the monster winters.

When wind chills are just causing frostbite all over my face in New England, I feel so jealous of my friends on the West Coast, enjoying their year-long ability to wear shorts and the large amount of sunlight.

Just consider this factor very closely.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't wanna specialize, so the only advantage for Tufts is that its a more reputable name. That doesn't matter though in the long run. It sounds like Western makes a lot more sense.

Western seems the way to go. I would always choose the cheaper school unless the program is significantly worse than other dental schools, but who can judge that? haha

This deserves like five bullet points.
Seriously, don't underestimate the power of the monster winters.

When wind chills are just causing frostbite all over my face in New England, I feel so jealous of my friends on the West Coast, enjoying their year-long ability to wear shorts and the large amount of sunlight.

Just consider this factor very closely.

I grew up in California, and, admittedly, I don't know what it feels like to live on the East Coast. I feel like if I do want that experience, now would be the time no? (All my east coast friends are telling me it's worthwhile)

I grew up in California, and, admittedly, I don't know what it feels like to live on the East Coast. I feel like if I do want that experience, now would be the time no? (All my east coast friends are telling me it's worthwhile)

I see what you're saying.
In your shoes, this is what I would do. Since Western is cheaper and you have a good support structure there, I'd go there for dental school, and take the WREB. Plenty of Eastern states recognize the WREB....MA, VA, CT, etc. Then, I'd come up to the East coast and do 1 yr residency (assuming general dentistry) while checking out an area I'm interested in.

This way- you get the benefits of a cheaper dental school + family/friend support and you still get the exploration you want. And if you want to settle down in the East coast, you can easily do that after your residency, but if you grow to hate the winter, your downside is minimized- you only spend 1 yr here for your residency instead of 4 years for dental school.

Reactions: 1 user
I see what you're saying.
In your shoes, this is what I would do. Since Western is cheaper and you have a good support structure there, I'd go there for dental school, and take the WREB. Plenty of Eastern states recognize the WREB....MA, VA, CT, etc. Then, I'd come up to the East coast and do 1 yr residency (assuming general dentistry) while checking out an area I'm interested in.

This way- you get the benefits of a cheaper dental school + family/friend support and you still get the exploration you want. And if you want to settle down in the East coast, you can easily do that after your residency, but if you grow to hate the winter, your downside is minimized- you only spend 1 yr here for your residency instead of 4 years for dental school.

Finally. Some practical advice. I'll definitely consider that, thank you!

I would personally choose Tufts. I interviewed at both and loved city of Boston much more! If you don't mind the slightly more expensive cost of living then I'd go there. But winters do suck lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Choose Western. The East coast is not worth it, both finanically and from experience. Cali is the trend setter for the world. Stay in Cali.

Finally. Some practical advice. I'll definitely consider that, thank you!

Np, I just wanted to build a plan based on what you want, so I think that really meets what you're looking for and gives you a ton of upside while minimizing the downside.

GL!

Last edited:
I currently live in L.A, really trying to stay in state and if I were to get into Western I would be very satisfied. I was wondering if you don't mind sharing what were your scores and gpa? Any advice for somebody trying to get into Western? Would appreciate it man

I currently live in L.A, really trying to stay in state and if I were to get into Western I would be very satisfied. I was wondering if you don't mind sharing what were your scores and gpa? Any advice for somebody trying to get into Western? Would appreciate it man

I'm actually attending UOP now. I got a last minute interview at the beginning of March and was accepted early April.

cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.4

DAT Scores:
PAT 20
RC 24
QR 24
Biology 25
Orgo 23
GC 21
AA 23
TS 23

Western looks for applicants that heavily emphasize community service/involvement. They have a humanistic approach to dental care, which I really like. Let me know if you have any other questions