Western U - Lebanon (COMP) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi BioMed,

I know you didn't necessarily ask for my input, but I feel obligated to offer:

My closest friend is a student an OMSI at NOVA and I am OMSI at COMP-NW. She is incredibly smart/talented and likeable but is nonetheless running into the following issues:

At NOVA they take multiple core sciences at a time and just move slowly through each, so the students' focus is split among the courses and they are constantly have intense exams, sometimes a few a week. At COMP-NW we take one core sci class at a time, and while we move very quickly through each, it is easier to focus and the very difficult exams are spread out. I MUCH prefer this approach.

Also, it is a large school and despite being outgoing and kind my friend has struggled to find her niche. It seems the cliques of people that form are not very inclusive or open to new people. In contrast, I am rather introverted and yet always feel welcome among all my peers here at COMP-NW. The warm, supportive environment here is exactly what I need to handle the pressures of med school. It is truly a family feel here.

Please ask around since this is based on only my opinion and one student at NOVA's.
Best of luck!

I would like to +1 your assessment of the way COMP-NW delivers their curriculum. It is a lot more humane than many other more traditional programs. I daresay that it makes our experience "easier" :laugh:. The only real drawback is that our breaks are shorter. For me, that has turned out to be not that big of a deal.

How the curriculum is laid out is definitely something all pre-meds should consider when comparing schools.

Members don't see this ad.

It really makes me wonder what I said in the interview that turned them off to me because that's the only thing I can think of that would have ruined my chances. I shadowed a family practice DO for a year and he wrote me an awesome letter (as well as some other pretty solid LOR's), pretty great EC's, low-income medical volunteering, etc. I definitely didn't go into the interview cocky (I was actually fairly nervous) but still left feeling like I let my sincerity about osteopathic medicine/COMP NW shine through. I'm not holding out for the waitlist at this point based on last years (somewhat dismal) stats. If I get an acceptance at one of my other top choices I'm just going to take it and thank my lucky stars that I'm done with the app cycle.
If I get a reply from Jeannie I'll let you guys know, I'm pretty curious at this point too!
Dear Ladybug,

First, don't lose hope about being waitlisted! I interviewed in Feb last year and was waitlisted but ended up getting in. I did have to call Jeannie a few times before hearing back, but she did not seem upset and end eventually ended up providing me with specifics. If you (POLITELY) prod for specifics on what your weaknesses were she will give them to you. Ask for her suggestions on how to proceed as well, and follow up with what she suggests!

Second, write a letter of interest or intent. In your letter, do your best to provide info that will help quell whatever their reservations were. Consider sending another LOR that is school specific also.

Your persistence can be what it takes to move up the waitlist, ahead of people who let their names just sit. Please don't think you 'did something wrong!" At all schools, the eval process is a tad bit of a crap shoot, but the more you can get them to look at your app, the better off you are.

Best of luck. Sending good thoughts your way!

Last edited:
I would like to +1 your assessment of the way COMP-NW delivers their curriculum. It is a lot more humane than many other more traditional programs. I daresay that it makes our experience "easier" :laugh:. The only real drawback is that our breaks are shorter. For me, that has turned out to be not that big of a deal.

How the curriculum is laid out is definitely something all pre-meds should consider when comparing schools.
Thumbs up for humanity!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Having serious trouble deciding between here, AZCOM or RVU. Anyone have any insights?

Having serious trouble deciding between here, AZCOM or RVU. Anyone have any insights?

Obviously, RVU is an absurd option so...

AZCOM is a great school in a great location. I have a few friends there and they like it a lot. One of my letter-writers graduated from there and loved it.

The biggest advantage we have (my opinion only!) is our schedule. I've mentioned it here before, but being able to focus on only one "real" class at a time is a real benefit. If you're a strong student, it gives you some more free time to do research, sleep, or spend time doing something you want. For others, it allows them to put their undivided attention on a topic (like cardio) and really make the most of their brain-power. The drawback is that our breaks are shorter.

Besides RVU , I don't think that you could make a mistake choosing either.

Racerwad- do you know anyone with significant others in seattle? If so does it seem like they get to see them much or do people carpool etc?

Racerwad- do you know anyone with significant others in seattle? If so does it seem like they get to see them much or do people carpool etc?

I think that there is one student in that specific situation but many have long distance significant others.

Most seem to be able to make it work. It's hard either way, sorry.

Dear Ladybug,

First, don't lose hope about being waitlisted! I interviewed in Feb last year and was waitlisted but ended up getting in. I did have to call Jeannie a few times before hearing back, but she did not seem upset and end eventually ended up providing me with specifics. If you (POLITELY) prod for specifics on what your weaknesses were she will give them to you. Ask for her suggestions on how to proceed as well, and follow up with what she suggests!

Second, write a letter of interest or intent. In your letter, do your best to provide info that will help quell whatever their reservations were. Consider sending another LOR that is school specific also.

Your persistence can be what it takes to move up the waitlist, ahead of people who let their names just sit. Please don't think you 'did something wrong!" At all schools, the eval process is a tad bit of a crap shoot, but the more you can get them to look at your app, the better off you are.

Best of luck. Sending good thoughts your way!

Thank you so much for your advice, DrKoala! Jeannie emailed me back and gave me a few pointers (summary: lower science GPA and lack of clinical experience-which is funny since I shadowed for a year and have lots of volunteer hours with a low income medical clinic. But compared to some applicants, including EMT's and the like, it would seem like a drop in the bucket). A letter of intent is a great idea and I'll plan on doing that. The squeaky wheel must get the grease after all!

Thank you so much for your advice, DrKoala! Jeannie emailed me back and gave me a few pointers (summary: lower science GPA and lack of clinical experience-which is funny since I shadowed for a year and have lots of volunteer hours with a low income medical clinic. But compared to some applicants, including EMT's and the like, it would seem like a drop in the bucket). A letter of intent is a great idea and I'll plan on doing that. The squeaky wheel must get the grease after all!

Shadowing and volunteering (depending on what you really did) aren't clinical experience.

I am glad that you got some feedback. Don't worry about competing against the other applicants - just be the best applicant you can be with the resources you have.

Good luck.

I spoke with a few students while interviewing this weekend because I will be in a similar situation, even though my girlfriend is a lil closer in Portland. I spoke with one student who has a significant other in Seattle and they have been able to see each other about twice a month. At the end of our interview booklet was contact info for some of the student ambassadors and I'm sure you could email them and get the contact info for someone in your situation to ask more specific questions

Wait in between interview and acceptance/denial=torture!!!!

Interviewed this past weekend and loved the school. It is my hands-down top choice - I would 100% choose it over an MD acceptance. They really made me want to pursue osteopathic medicine - it just felt like somewhere I could really fit in. However, I'm afraid my interview didn't go too well. I think the MMI went really well - but the interview, not so much. Any insight on how much the MMI vs the actual interview play into acceptance/rejection decisions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Shadowing and volunteering (depending on what you really did) aren't clinical experience.

I am glad that you got some feedback. Don't worry about competing against the other applicants - just be the best applicant you can be with the resources you have.

Good luck.

Thanks, racerwad! What would be considered clinical experience? As someone who just graduated from undergrad and doesn't have a career and didn't have time to pursue a 'clinical' job in college, what could I have done differently?

i know that many of the rotations will come from the comp nw track for pomona, but have they set up more? Has the admin faculty given out rotations for the 3rd year students yet?

*edit* I read somewhere that rotations wont be given out until january-ish, so nevermind.

I guess I'm just concerned with the newness of this school, even though its tied to Western in Pomona. Its mostly whether or not its 3rd year rotations and curriculum are going to be what I'm looking for. Also I don't know how well I would handle having lectures streamed rather than in person.

AZCOM has a good reputation but I've been hearing about problems getting reasonable rotations with so many schools in the area.

I'm probably just over thinking this as they're both good schools.

Last edited:
I wonder if we will get a call today. They said the admissions committee would meet Tuesday. I know it is early (interviewed 12/8) but I have my fingers crossed!!!

I wonder if we will get a call today. They said the admissions committee would meet Tuesday. I know it is early (interviewed 12/8) but I have my fingers crossed!!!

Lol that is wishful thinking. It would be nice though. I think she said around 2 weeks is when we will hear back.

In pretty sure they told my interview group 15 days. It was the third Tuesday when I got the call. But then again I had thanksgiving during that time. I would still be prepared for that 15 days to mean 15 business days.

i know that many of the rotations will come from the comp nw track for pomona, but have they set up more? Has the admin faculty given out rotations for the 3rd year students yet?

*edit* I read somewhere that rotations wont be given out until january-ish, so nevermind.

I guess I'm just concerned with the newness of this school, even though its tied to Western in Pomona. Its mostly whether or not its 3rd year rotations and curriculum are going to be what I'm looking for. Also I don't know how well I would handle having lectures streamed rather than in person.

AZCOM has a good reputation but I've been hearing about problems getting reasonable rotations with so many schools in the area.

I'm probably just over thinking this as they're both good schools.

DO2015 will match to their rotations in mid-January of 2013. The majority of our sites are pre-existing Northwest Track programs that have just increased their capacity, so only a handful of sites are brand new.

AZCOM is a great school but you're right, there is some volatility with their rotations, both in AZ and elsewhere.

Do you know what you're looking for in your 3rd year or curriculum? Because, at least on curriculum, AZCOM and Western are polar opposites.

Good luck and congrats on your acceptances.

DO2015 will match to their rotations in mid-January of 2013. The majority of our sites are pre-existing Northwest Track programs that have just increased their capacity, so only a handful of sites are brand new.

AZCOM is a great school but you're right, there is some volatility with their rotations, both in AZ and elsewhere.

Do you know what you're looking for in your 3rd year or curriculum? Because, at least on curriculum, AZCOM and Western are polar opposites.

I appreciate you taking time out to answer some questions of mine.

I guess in my 3rd year I'm hoping to get some rotations that wont require me to move around a whole from a central area. I'm kind of interested in emergency medicine and it would be nice to get access to a level 1 or at least a level 2 trauma center. I don't care so much about preceptor vs ward based as long as they are quality.

If I went to comp-nw I would really like to either go to portland or corvallis (I have a couple of friends who live in portland), but I imagine that a fair amount of students feel that way? If AZCOM it would be located mostly in the greater phoenix area, or another centralized location.

As far as curriculum goes its hard to say. I feel like the quarter system that AZCOM has will either make me go insane with constant testing or ensure that I stay on top of the material. I look at western and while i do feel like the style is more "humane" as you all have described it, I would really enjoy having "in person" lectures and access to those people for office hours as well. I know that they aren't inaccessible but when you're paying ~50k a year for an education it would be nice to have some face to face time.

Last edited:
I appreciate you taking time out to answer some questions of mine.

I guess in my 3rd year I'm hoping to get some rotations that wont require me to move around a whole from a central area. I'm kind of interested in emergency medicine and it would be nice to get access to a level 1 or at least a level 2 trauma center. I don't care so much about preceptor vs ward based as long as they are quality.

Most of our core rotations won't have you moving around for the majority of your rotations with the exception of psych and OMM.

The access to the Level 1 or 2 facility is really not that important, especially as a 3rd year. How much exposure to EM have you had so far? If it's none, then even a Level 4 critical access ED will be more than you can keep up with when you're learning. Level 1 gets great pathology (duh) but there are also many more layers of learners that are between you and that great pathology. In the smaller EDs, you're going to be a lot closer to whatever comes through the door.

The preceptor vs ward is a huge component that you are overlooking. Ward means hospital and sick people go to the hospital. Preceptor usually implies a clinic and sick people don't go to clinics, unless it is on the way to the hospital. You want ward/hospital based rotations, always.

If I went to comp-nw I would really like to either go to portland or corvallis (I have a couple of friends who live in portland), but I imagine that a fair amount of students feel that way? If AZCOM it would be located mostly in the greater phoenix area, or another centralized location.

AZCOM divides the Phoenix valley into east and west and those are your "sites." However, just because you are east valley, you may still end up at a site on the opposite side (or vice-versa).

As far as curriculum goes its hard to say. I feel like the quarter system that AZCOM has will either make me go insane with constant testing or ensure that I stay on top of the material. I look at western and while i do feel like the style is more "humane" as you all have described it, I would really enjoy having "in person" lectures and access to those people for office hours as well. I know that they aren't inaccessible but when you're paying ~50k a year for an education it would be nice to have some face to face time.

Personally, I hate the streaming lectures and they aren't as accessible as they say they are. But, most students at most schools have found that their study group and Dr. Wikipedia are their best teachers. Same for Western. I would take our testing schedule over AZCOM's any day. The extra month of summer they get is nice, but not three or four tests a week nice.

TL;DR - COMP-NW has good rotations that shouldn't have too much changing around associated with them. They aren't perfect but I would say they are better than AZCOM's.

TL;DR - COMP-NW has good rotations that shouldn't have too much changing around associated with them. They aren't perfect but I would say they are better than AZCOM's.

I've been an EMT for a while so i've been around the block a bit. But you're probably right, I'm sure any ED will be fine. Just dreaming for seeing the really "good" stuff, i guess :p I'm not an adrenaline junky or anything but it would be nice. I suppose getting an audition rotation 4th year in a hospital with an ER residency is more important than 3rd year at a level1/2.

As far as ward vs preceptor based you have a good point. Seeing better cases would make for better learning. I feel like a good preceptor can make up for some of what you're missing though. Or am I just being an overly-optimistic osteopathic-premed? Either way I'm sure wards prepare you for residency more than a preceptor ever could, just from the environment alone.

Again, appreciate the info. Ultimately it will be up to me to make the best of the shortcomings of either school. I feel like comp-nw would probably have better rotations and more access to hospitals in that area, being only one of 2-3 medical schools in that area (not sure if PNWU rotates at any of the same locations?). Azcom just has that reputation/stats/match list behind it, and I'm not sure how much weight to give those as they probably fluctuate from year to year. Either way I have to decide tomorrow. Hopefully they'll let me hand deliver it to the office in pomona so I dont have to worry about whether or not it will make it via snail-mail.

Iheartnachos said:
I feel like a good preceptor can make up for some of what you're missing though. Or am I just being an overly-optimistic osteopathic-premed?

Maybe...And yes, you are.

Good luck with your decision. You'll be fine either way.

Glad to hear this info about COMP-NW rotations. That's how I thought it was and I'm glad to hear that I wasn't mistaken.

The MMI does bear weight. Assuming your interview wasn't absolutely terrible, having an excellent MMI can influence the adcoms decision (although it will not make up for a glaring issue elsewhere, just like an great LOR doesnt make up for a poor interview etc.) My interview was only ho-hum but my MMI was exceptional and I was accepted in the long run! Just remember to stay on their radar and let them know that COMP-NW is your top choice.

The MMI does bear weight. Assuming your interview wasn't absolutely terrible, having an excellent MMI can influence the adcoms decision (although it will not make up for a glaring issue elsewhere, just like an great LOR doesnt make up for a poor interview etc.) My interview was only ho-hum but my MMI was exceptional and I was accepted in the long run! Just remember to stay on their radar and let them know that COMP-NW is your top choice.

Thanks for the encouragement. :D

I thought I saw a couple pages back that COMP-NW would be finding out their 3rd year rotations December 8th? Would it be possible to find out what sites these are at? I don't know if this is something that a current student could post or if I should contact the admissions office. This information would just make the decision making between schools easier.

I thought I saw a couple pages back that COMP-NW would be finding out their 3rd year rotations December 8th? Would it be possible to find out what sites these are at? I don't know if this is something that a current student could post or if I should contact the admissions office. This information would just make the decision making between schools easier.

We've been told they're going to add a few more, but I'm not going to stand on one foot and hold my breath

-Samaritan Health Services -Corvallis
-Adventist Health - Portland
-Legacy Health -Portland
-Providence Health - Portland
-Columbia Memorial Hospital - Astoria
-Mercy Medical Center - Roseburg
-Asante Health System - Medford/Grants Pass
-Franciscan Health System -Tacoma
-Salem Health System
-St. Charles Medical Center -Bend
-Willamette Valley Medical Center

There are currently enough sites for all of the students which was the big question a year ago. None of these sites seem like a big bummer. The sites in blue are new, everything else is a pre-existing site that has just expanded its capacity.

If I missed any, feel free to add them.

We've been told they're going to add a few more, but I'm not going to stand on one foot and hold my breath

-Samaritan Health Services -Corvallis
-Adventist Health - Portland
-Legacy Health -Portland
-Providence Health - Portland
-Columbia Memorial Hospital - Astoria
-Mercy Medical Center - Roseburg
-Asante Health System - Medford/Grants Pass
-Franciscan Health System -Tacoma
-Salem Health System
-St. Charles Medical Center -Bend
-Willamette Valley Medical Center

There are currently enough sites for all of the students which was the big question a year ago. None of these sites seem like a big bummer. The sites in blue are new, everything else is a pre-existing site that has just expanded its capacity.

If I missed any, feel free to add them.

Thanks for the information. For my current job I work I have worked in all of those hospitals and none of them are terrible. I'm glad to see that they have both providence and legacy sites as well. Have they said if these are ward based or preceptor?

Racerwad (or another student),

Could you comment a little on how 2nd year classes run? From what I understand its more systems based and involves a lot of small group work. How much would you say is group work/case study and how much is lecture?

Racerwad (or another student),

Could you comment a little on how 2nd year classes run? From what I understand its more systems based and involves a lot of small group work. How much would you say is group work/case study and how much is lecture?
1 to 2 small groups (3 hours max-more like 2 hours) per week, rest is lecture.

By the way WesternU just bought our DO2015 class a full Kaplan subscription w/ qbank and USMLE WORLD!!! What a great day!!! Thats like $1000.00 and I believe this is going to be an every year thing from this point on.

1 to 2 small groups (3 hours max-more like 2 hours) per week, rest is lecture.

By the way WesternU just bought our DO2015 class a full Kaplan subscription w/ qbank and USMLE WORLD!!! What a great day!!! Thats like $1000.00 and I believe this is going to be an every year thing from this point on.

Oh man, if they're buying that stuff for every year from now on that would be awesome! That was one of the very few things COMP-NW didn't do that some others did that had me bummed! This is good news!

Well I put my first deposit down for western, and last week did the same for nova. I honestly can't decide between these two schools ,I've read opinions praising both and just can't make up my mind.

Well I put my first deposit down for western, and last week did the same for nova. I honestly can't decide between these two schools ,I've read opinions praising both and just can't make up my mind.

Maybe do a second visit. I know that the school's SOMA club were enlisting volunteers to allow pre-med students follow them for an afternoon in a class of OMM or Essentials of Clinical Med (ECM). May be worth looking into to get a better feel for the school. It's always hard to judge whether you'd be happy here based on 1 interview day (when most students aren't present) and online posts.

Maybe do a second visit. I know that the school's SOMA club were enlisting volunteers to allow pre-med students follow them for an afternoon in a class of OMM or Essentials of Clinical Med (ECM). May be worth looking into to get a better feel for the school. It's always hard to judge whether you'd be happy here based on 1 interview day (when most students aren't present) and online posts.

Whoa! This might be the best advice in the history of SDN.

Wait in between interview and acceptance/denial=torture!!!!

Agreed...the committee met yesterday though. So, I would think beginning of this coming week, if good news is to be given, we'll get it then!

Agreed...the committee met yesterday though. So, I would think beginning of this coming week, if good news is to be given, we'll get it then!

That would be great if we found something this week but looking at old posts it seems that they don't get back to anyone for several weeks. Maybe with Christmas the following week they will get the calls out earlier, crossing my fingers.

Sent from my ADR6350 using SDN Mobile

That would be great if we found something this week but looking at old posts it seems that they don't get back to anyone for several weeks. Maybe with Christmas the following week they will get the calls out earlier, crossing my fingers.

Sent from my ADR6350 using SDN Mobile

I was told that we would 100% hear back before Dec. 21 but she was hopeful for this week....It is only 3 PST...there is still hope!!!

I was told that we would 100% hear back before Dec. 21 but she was hopeful for this week....It is only 3 PST...there is still hope!!!

Good to hear. I was worried that they wouldn't make any calls until after Christmas.

To the people who sent thank you letters...who did you send them to?

You could address each card to the respective interviewer (of course) and put them all in one big envelope, mail it to the school. The nice front desk lady will know what to do with them and get it to where it needs to go.

Anxiously awaiting news . . . Hopefully everyone will be receiving phone calls in the next couple of days.

Interviewed on 12-8, got the acceptance call this morning. I will be attending.

Just got the phone call...ACCEPTED! CLASS OF 2017.

Interviewed last weekend on 12/8.