Western U - Lebanon (COMP) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACCEPTED! C/o 2017!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Just called to find out any information. They won't tell me anything over the phone. I am assuming it's a rejection as it sounds like all of the acceptances have been called. Congrats to everyone who got in!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just called to find out any information. They won't tell me anything over the phone. I am assuming it's a rejection as it sounds like all of the acceptances have been called. Congrats to everyone who got in!

Don't worry yourself yet, it could be a waitlist which is not at all bad news. In that case you'll receive a letter.

Also, congratulations to everyone who has been accepted so far! Can't wait to meet you all next fall!

Just got the call! I'm definitely accepting!

Accepted 2017!

Hello Everyone,

In time for the holidays and winter break. After thursday's final exam, I will be able to answer any questions you have about classes, interviews, anything.

I am a current student at COMP'NW and am about to finish my first semester here. It's been great, love it, no complaints at all. I've lived in large cities all my life and was skeptical about Lebanon, but it has treated us all very well.

Hope to hear from y'all soon.

Just got offers from COMP-northwest, PNWU, and Touro-CA, and would love input from the SDN community on different perspectives on the 3 schools...atmosphere, type of course structure (Anatomy for 2 years at Touro vs for 10 weeks at Western!), access to faculty+administration, etc...

Thanks!

Just got offers from COMP-northwest, PNWU, and Touro-CA, and would love input from the SDN community on different perspectives on the 3 schools...atmosphere, type of course structure (Anatomy for 2 years at Touro vs for 10 weeks at Western!), access to faculty+administration, etc...

Thanks!

I just booked my flight and hotel for the 1/19 interview. If anyone is willing to carpool down from Portland on the 18th, please PM me :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry yourself yet, it could be a waitlist which is not at all bad news. In that case you'll receive a letter.

You were right, Dr. Koala - I'm on the alternate list - got the letter today.

Just took my name off the alternate list. It was tough to let this school go, especially after envisioning myself going here for the past 2+ years and getting to know the community through volunteering and the OPSO events. I guess when one door closes, another one opens!

I still have mad respect for Western, btw :) Good luck to the class of 2017! Perhaps we'll be colleagues one day if I make it back to the west coast after med school!

Can anyone answer around when we should get the physical examination done? Should it be closer to matriculation or would it be okay to get it done now?

Can anyone answer around when we should get the physical examination done? Should it be closer to matriculation or would it be okay to get it done now?

I believe it needs to be done within a certain time before matriculation and not any earlier. I think I remember being told to wait until after march at the earliest.

Just mailed my deposit in yesterday! Can't wait to start here, so excited!

Does anyone know of a good link or source for flashcards or study material that could be useful for the first semester? I have a job with a good amount of downtime and I figure I might as well prepare a little.

Does anyone know of a good link or source for flashcards or study material that could be useful for the first semester? I have a job with a good amount of downtime and I figure I might as well prepare a little.

Don't bother because it won't be enough preparation. Enjoy your time off instead.

I'm the class gunner and even I recommend enjoying your life until school starts. A brick wall will still feel like a brick wall regardless of what you do to mentally prepare for it. People always try to get ahead, but it never really works out since you forget whatever you studied ahead for while concentrating on the work at hand. Try to take some exotic trips if you can, learn some new hobbies (e.g. home brewing beer), read books, enjoy the sun, watch paint dry. Don't worry about not being able to adjust. In my time here, and over the span of observing 2 classes, everyone adjusts to the medical curriculum load just fine and pass their classes. Hardly anyone remediates courses or fails out. They say its harder to fail out of med school than to get into med school and I believe it.

Yeah, I agree with the previous two posts. This is a major consensus across the board with med students in general. Trying to study ahead is somewhat worthless. The amount of information we learn is unreal. Enjoy your time off!! Have as much fun as possible!!

It is a good time to brush up on any hidden talents, perfecting your chili recipe, or start putting together that Halloween costume. Our school likes to host talent show nights and chili competitions :) Gotta bring home that apron.

Chili Cookoff: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.458732924172533.105307.176164065762755&type=3

Talent Show: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.458779547501204.105315.176164065762755&type=3

If you really must get ahead, just sign up for the accelerated summer anatomy program (ISAC). Even then, don't study ahead for that class, enjoy the free time you have from now till summer. Studying ahead isn't as simple as opening a textbook and going "ah ha!". There is a lot of clinical stuff tossed in that's lecturer dependent. You won't find that at your local bookstore.

It is a good time to brush up on any hidden talents, perfecting your chili recipe, or start putting together that Halloween costume. Our school likes to host talent show nights and chili competitions :) Gotta bring home that apron.

Chili Cookoff: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.458732924172533.105307.176164065762755&type=3

Talent Show: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.458779547501204.105315.176164065762755&type=3

If you really must get ahead, just sign up for the accelerated summer anatomy program (ISAC). Even then, don't study ahead for that class, enjoy the free time you have from now till summer. Studying ahead isn't as simple as opening a textbook and going "ah ha!". There is a lot of clinical stuff tossed in that's lecturer dependent. You won't find that at your local bookstore.

I'm trying to get into ISAC, and was even considering taking anatomy this semester in order to better my chances of getting in, but I've decided to just save my money, enjoy the time I have left by learning guitar and taking my little family to Disneyland and maybe Hawaii, if our finances make it that far...
Anyway, bottom line is, I agree. Enjoy life. That is all

Edit: Nevermind, found it

Last edited:
Getting ahead is really not my goal at all and I agree everyone says to enjoy time before med school starts...I just asked because I have a desk job that can get REALLY boring. I am going to be doing nothing enjoyable either way, so just a thought.

Getting ahead is really not my goal at all and I agree everyone says to enjoy time before med school starts...I just asked because I have a desk job that can get REALLY boring. I am going to be doing nothing enjoyable either way, so just a thought.

Seriously, I can't stress enough that you'd be better off watching old episodes of TMZ than trying to be "productive" in that time. Besides, what's the point if getting ahead isn't the goal? In medical school, getting ahead=keeping up.

Any current students have any suggestions for housing? I have looked at the Cascade Apartments (which look nice) but really wanting something with a garage. Are there any townhouses or neighborhoods that anyone can suggest? Thanks for the input.

Has anyone from the December interview gotten a confirmation that their deposit was received? I sent mine in a week and a half ago and haven't heard anything yet...

Has anyone from the December interview gotten a confirmation that their deposit was received? I sent mine in a week and a half ago and haven't heard anything yet...

I have not heard anything either

Haven't heard anything.

I was getting worried. I mailed mine in on 12/31 and nothing yet...was thinking of calling tomorrow and seeing if everything is good!

I was getting worried. I mailed mine in on 12/31 and nothing yet...was thinking of calling tomorrow and seeing if everything is good!

If you've made your western email address you should have gotten a confirmation saying that they received your deposit, or at least that's what happened for me.

I will probably send out an email at the end of the week if I haven't heard anything. I set up my Western email but nothing has come through on it yet. It's probably not a big deal, just backed up from the holidays most likely.

I will probably send out an email at the end of the week if I haven't heard anything. I set up my Western email but nothing has come through on it yet. It's probably not a big deal, just backed up from the holidays most likely.

Yup that's what I've been thinking as well. My Western email account doesn't have anything either.

For everyone worried about their acceptance deposits, they were on vacation for two weeks and got back yesterday. They are still catching up, so Jeannie said to wait another week, and if nothing shows up, to give her a call and she will look into it!

For everyone worried about their acceptance deposits, they were on vacation for two weeks and got back yesterday. They are still catching up, so Jeannie said to wait another week, and if nothing shows up, to give her a call and she will look into it!

Good to hear, thanks for the update.

I'd call. I would think it would reflect in whatever account you had it taken out of by now. Also, have you checked your school e-mail?

My confirmations came to my westernu email

is Pomona going to continue sending 75 students to OR on the NW track?

I will be withdrawing my acceptance as I managed to get in to my #1 dream school. So, congrats to whoever gets the opportunity to attend this great school in my place (as well as everyone else of course)!

I want to mail in my second deposit...but misplaced the address I need to send it to in Pomona. Also forgot what to make the check out to. If anyone can either PM it to me or throw it on the thread, that would be great!

Struggling between here and kirksville. Any suggestions??

I too was struggling between Kirksville and Western NW, but ultimately chose Western NW. According to the speaker on interview day, Western NW scored the highest on their boards the past year.. plus I wanted to stay in the west, and have my rotations in the west. And I liked the new facility, community, and Oregon. But Kirksville is an original, and is still above average on their boards. And the school seems super awesome. But ultimately, location and board scores were the deciding factor for me.