Western U - Lebanon (COMP) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
SOUNDGARDEN, Dude!

Wow, that's embarrassing. When I posted that I was thinking that could be soundgarden. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Members don't see this ad.

When I saw collective soul I started to doubt myself and to be honest I had to look it up to make sure it was soundgarden.

Hey all,

As a heads up to all of you on the wait/alternate list, I just withdrew my seat in Lebanon and took an offer to DMU. It was a hard decision cause I loved this school and looked forward to meeting all of you while there (not to mention that I have already paid the deposit :bang:), but I feel that DMU is a better fit for me personally and I cannot turn it down. I wish all of you the very best of luck and I hope my seat goes to a deserving individual.

Out of the rain and into the corn maze I go! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

It was a hard decision cause I loved this school and looked forward to meeting all of you while there (not to mention that I have already paid the deposit :bang:), but I feel that DMU is a better fit for me personally and I cannot turn it down.

If I get a spot at COMP-NW, I will have to eat the deposit from LECOM. Maybe I can ask that they name a tile after me for the donation to the rumored new campus in Utah. :naughty:

If I get a spot at COMP-NW, I will have to eat the deposit from LECOM. Maybe I can ask that they name a tile after me for the donation to the rumored new campus in Utah. :naughty:

Not a bad idea actually. Lol

Hey all,

As a heads up to all of you on the wait/alternate list, I just withdrew my seat in Lebanon and took an offer to DMU. It was a hard decision cause I loved this school and looked forward to meeting all of you while there (not to mention that I have already paid the deposit :bang:), but I feel that DMU is a better fit for me personally and I cannot turn it down. I wish all of you the very best of luck and I hope my seat goes to a deserving individual.

Out of the rain and into the corn maze I go! :laugh:

Hey good luck in your future endeavors. Their surgical skills lab looked like a ton of fun!

does anyone know if/when this school starts giving deferred acceptances this year? I was placed on the alternate list in Oct and am pretty much dying right now. do people ever get moved from the alternate list to a deferred acceptance list? I noticed on last years thread that they pretty much only called ppl from the deferred list :/

thanks!!

Have then sent out any acceptances this week for February 16th interviews?

I put my final deposit on this school. Loved the town/professors/campus, ect. I have a few questions.

#1- What is the housing situation like in Lebanon? I don't want to buy a car for at least the first 2 years... so I want to remain close to the school. And I don't mind roommates if it keeps the cost down. In fact, more roommates, the better.

#2- How do students handle their living situations during 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations? Rotations span the entirety of Washington and Oregon... I'm sure students don't keep their Lebanon housing.

#3- Is there any cooperation between Western U Lebanon and OHSU? Are there any rotations at OHSU? Are there any students that get accepted to OHSU residency programs?

Last edited:
I put my final deposit on this school. Loved the town/professors/campus, ect. I have a few questions.

#1- What is the housing situation like in Lebanon? I don't want to buy a car for at least the first 2 years... so I want to remain close to the school. And I don't mind roommates if it keeps the cost down. In fact, more roommates, the better.

#2- How do students handle their living situations during 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations? Rotations span the entirety of Washington and Oregon... I'm sure students don't keep their Lebanon housing.

#3- Is there any cooperation between Western U Lebanon and OHSU? Are there any rotations at OHSU? Are there any students that get accepted to OHSU residency programs?

And on a less serious note, I looked into the Class of 2017 Facebook page. It looks like a good class. It seems like there are a lot of members that are married w/ kids. Although this contributes to the family-feel of the town and school (which is a major plus), being single myself, I wish there were more singles to socialize with.

Are you a member of the class of 2017 Facebook group?

And on a less serious note, I looked into the Class of 2017 Facebook page. It looks like a good class. It seems like there are a lot of members that are married w/ kids. Although this contributes to the family-feel of the town and school (which is a major plus), being single myself, I wish there were more singles to socialize with.

Hey! We'll answer things in order for you.

1 = Cascade Ridge is probably the main housing right now in Lebanon. We call it the unofficial COMP-NW dorms. You can get a 3 bedroom and cost is about $320/person. There are other apartments around the area, single small homes, and others, but you'd have to do personal searches for those. They are all in walking distance and a car is not necessary. I would jump on the connection fb page between 2016-2017. I know some of my classmates that live in those "other" places would love to give you more info!

2 = You don't keep your Lebanon homes during 3rd and 4th. When you choose your rotation tracks, most of your sites will be around a specific area and will allow you to rent a home in that period. The rotation period for each track is typically 9 months and then you rotate to a new area. With that said, you will be coming back to Lebanon every 3 months for didactics aka exams! So traveling is involved. For example, if you get a rotation track in Portland, you'll move there, do rotations in Portland, but not necessarily all your time will be at the same hospital. Sometimes they will have you rotate around the hospitals in the area.

3 = We have open communication with OSHU, not necessarily any relationship status yet. Those rotating in Portland will have the opportunity to meet OSHU students since we'll both we in the same area, so basically we both rotate through similar tracks here and there around Oregon. Currently for COMP-NW, we don't have any 3rd or 4th yrs yet, so no one here has done residency there, but as DOs we are allowed to do MD residencies, you just have to take the USMLE (for the time being, changes are to be made in 2015. Keep a look out, that is important info!) So residencies in OSHU is an option for those interested, but it'll be based upon your own competitive stats when the time comes.

Hope that helps, tried not to be too lengthy. Again, join the fb group for your class and the connection class.

Have then sent out any acceptances this week for February 16th interviews?

If you are accepted, you will receive a phone call from the school. For Feb 16, the call would have been made on Friday (yesterday).
Congrats to those that were accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are accepted, you will receive a phone call from the school. For Feb 16, the call would have been made on Friday (yesterday).

I wonder if that interview group had many active SDNers? Or Dr. Pham hasn't called many people yet.

Last edited:
Any idea how full the class is? I interview march 9th which I believe I was told is the last interview date for 2013. Hopefully I'm not jockeying for position on the waitlist.

I wonder if that interview group had many active SDNers? Or Dr. Pham hasn't called many people yet.

I think that the school calls those who are definitely accepted that same day. Everyone else will be either denied or on the alternate list.

Any idea how full the class is? I interview march 9th which I believe I was told is the last interview date for 2013. Hopefully I'm not jockeying for position on the wait list.

They interview ~350 applicants, of those about 1/3 get accepted. I'd say you're interviewing for a few spots + alternate spots. Good luck on your interview.

I was blown away by the school and it was the first school that I got the "wow, this is where I want to go" vibe. But too bad, was really my top choice.

I think that the school calls those who are definitely accepted that same day. Everyone else will be either denied or on the alternate list.

They interview ~350 applicants, of those about 1/3 get accepted. I'd say you're interviewing for a few spots + alternate spots. Good luck on your interview.

I was blown away by the school and it was the first school that I got the "wow, this is where I want to go" vibe. But too bad, was really my top choice.

If you look in their binder that they give out during the interview, COMP-NW gave out ~190 acceptances for 107 spots. I'm not sure how many they pull off the wait list, but I would like to think I could be one of them.

If you look in their binder that they give out during the interview, COMP-NW gave out ~190 acceptances for 107 spots. I'm not sure how many they pull off the wait list, but I would like to think I could be one of them.

Were you at the Feb 16 interview or are interviewing at a future session?

I was at the January interview. I'm waitlisted, so that is why I am hoping to get off the waitlist.

I was at the January interview. I'm waitlisted, so that is why I am hoping to get off the waitlist.

Hey waitlisters! From one waitlister to another, I was in your same spot just last year. I interviewed in December, had an amazing interview session. They brought me out to the library after our interview so they could show me their textbooks and artwork. I thought that was a sign of a good interview. So was very surprised to have been waitlisted.

Just keep your heads up, make sure to keep in contact with the school and let them know your interest. If you show it, they'll see it, and you'll eventually get in. I didn't get my acceptance till May, so that was a very very long wait, but worth it all! It's been amazing here!

Good luck and PM me if you need help on ways to stay in contact with the school. Also, don't forget to be nice to Jeannie and Jess. :D

I was just accepted today and so excited!!! I have a few acceptances already, but I knew the minute I saw this school that it was the one for me. I look forward to getting to know the other students!

My stats are complicated because I had two rounds of college. I went when I was fresh out of high school and then ten years later. I have been reading around here long enough to know you all might want them: 3.4-ish for both sciences and general, 32 MCAT. The GPA was higher for the second half of my college education. Much higher. I am so excited about rural health care and I think this school will stoke that passion.

I was just accepted today and so excited!!! I have a few acceptances already, but I knew the minute I saw this school that it was the one for me. I look forward to getting to know the other students!

My stats are complicated because I had two rounds of college. I went when I was fresh out of high school and then ten years later. I have been reading around here long enough to know you all might want them: 3.4-ish for both sciences and general, 32 MCAT. The GPA was higher for the second half of my college education. Much higher. I am so excited about rural health care and I think this school will stoke that passion.

Welcome to the family! It will be a blast come August when you guys are here for orientation. Will try to set some sort of 1st/2nd year mixer probably on the same day as the BBQ, so keep a look out!

Hi Everyone, I received an acceptance email for the ISAC program!
Anyone else?? I was thinking we should get to know each other so we can coordinate living arrangements and other things since there are only gong to be a few of us (anyone know how many ppl are in the program?) I head apts needs to be reserved ahead of time...
A/S/L = 24/F/Portland Looking for two others to share apartment with.

Anyone else?? I was thinking we should get to know each other so we can coordinate living arrangements and other things since there are only gong to be a few of us (anyone know how many ppl are in the program?) I head apts needs to be reserved ahead of time...

I also got the acceptance email. Are you on the class of 2017 Facebook group? There's a bunch of us on there!

I called Martha and paid by card as well. She said I should be getting an email to my western account but I haven't received one yet... Did you receive an email or any type of confirmation saying that your card was successfully charged? If so how long did it take for you to get it? I'm tripping out because I just want to make sure I gave her the right information and it went through because there is no charge on my credit card account. :scared:

Hi, sorry for the late reply- I received the confirmation email almost immediately to my western account. As for my credit card, I noticed a charge pending within the next day. I hope everything worked out for you!

I interviewed on 2/16 and got the acceptance call from Dr. Pham on Monday 3/4! Not sure if I was later than the rest of the group, but thought I would give an update that they are calling 2/16 interviewees. Good luck!

I interviewed on 2/16 and got the acceptance call from Dr. Pham on Monday 3/4! Not sure if I was later than the rest of the group, but thought I would give an update that they are calling 2/16 interviewees. Good luck!

I see. It seems that everyone that was accepted were called on Monday. Congrats.

/edit
Would you mind sharing your stats? The applicant pool seems pretty strong this year.

Last edited:
It seemed like a really strong pool to me. I have decent stats (especially if you rule out the first round of undergrad) and I think I am pretty poised, but I was a bit intimidated at the interview. Everyone seemed very professional, very outgoing, had impressive backgrounds and narratives. I have already been accepted to two other schools but I would have been very upset if I did not end up here. This was the one I lost sleep over because the competition was formidable and I was already picturing myself at the school.

I have been reading through the Facebook group and the future classmates seem really cool. I had a great class in organic chemistry and I am sure we will be lifelong friends. This group has that potential. I like being around people who are awesome! I think we all do. Huzzah for an amazing few years together!

I have been reading through the Facebook group and the future classmates seem really cool. I had a great class in organic chemistry and I am sure we will be lifelong friends. This group has that potential. I like being around people who are awesome! I think we all do. Huzzah for an amazing few years together!

I agree, this is going to be a really fun group. I was also impressed with how diverse my interview group was. So many people with experience in foreign countries, careers, and all other kinds of other "non-traditional" stuff. I feel right at home.

I was also accepted to the ISAC program. I'm very excited! I'm going to be flying into Oregon the first week of April to look for a place to live. My wife and I are probably looking for a house. She doesn't come out until July so I might be renting a room until then. You might want to check out the FB page to collect more people. You can PM me anytime if you want to get to know each other more.

I agree, this is going to be a really fun group. I was also impressed with how diverse my interview group was. So many people with experience in foreign countries, careers, and all other kinds of other "non-traditional" stuff. I feel right at home.
Dudeliness, are you doing ISAC?

I am also in the ISAC program! We have a list going on the facebook page if you want to check it out :)

I see. It seems that everyone that was accepted were called on Monday. Congrats.

/edit
Would you mind sharing your stats? The applicant pool seems pretty strong this year.

Thanks. Best of luck to you! It is such a stressful time, I still can't believe I was accepted! I didn't talk numbers/specifics with other applicants but everyone seemed really poised and confident. I think the pool is pretty strong this season.

My stats are: GPA: cumulative 3.6, science 3.4. I took the MCAT twice, and got a 28S both times (that drove me nuts). My MCAT splits were 11 verbal, 9 bio and 8 physical sci. I also have 4 years as an ER scribe so I'm sure that didn't hurt. Hope that helps!

I am also in the ISAC program! We have a list going on the facebook page if you want to check it out :)
I'm not a facebooker. BUT my wife is. She is a part of the FB group and said she is going to follow the updates and include my name on the ISAC list. I'm very excited for the course. Gonna be interesting.

I'm not a facebooker. BUT my wife is. She is a part of the FB group and said she is going to follow the updates and include my name on the ISAC list. I'm very excited for the course. Gonna be interesting.

Yeah I'm doing ISAC. I'm the one who commented on your wife's post in the Facebook group.

I just got an email from admissions about an increase in tuition. It was sent out to all the waitlisters and it looks like their is 95 of us.

I am really hoping to I will hear back from this school next month. I want some time to plan moving because is sounds stressful to move and start school in a short time frame.

I think t was sent to everybody. Anybody else planning on their spouse being a stay at home parent?

I think t was sent to everybody. Anybody else planning on their spouse being a stay at home parent?

I got the email in my westernu email account as well. It didn't say anything about an actual tuition increase though, did it? Still the same as far as I could see. Just a letter about why school costs so much etc.

My wife will be a mostly stay at home mom. She may work 5-10 hrs per week.

I just got an email from admissions about an increase in tuition. It was sent out to all the waitlisters and it looks like their is 95 of us.

I am really hoping to I will hear back from this school next month. I want some time to plan moving because is sounds stressful to move and start school in a short time frame.

i see i'm not the only one who noticed there were 95.. seems fairly high (when i spoke to admissions a few months ago, they had mentioned they waitlisted about 65 last year and took maybe 6 off the waitlist)

i see i'm not the only one who noticed there were 95.. seems fairly high (when i spoke to admissions a few months ago, they had mentioned they waitlisted about 65 last year and took maybe 6 off the waitlist)

The alternate website (http://prospective.westernu.edu/osteopathic/alternate/) says that they have an average of 60 alternates over a 5 year period. It also says that "Every year a significant number of alternate candidates are offered acceptance into the class."

I hope that a significant number is greater than 9%. I don't think 9% is a significant number in anybodies book.

This is what just happened to my hopes of getting off the waitlist: :diebanana:

The alternate website (http://prospective.westernu.edu/osteopathic/alternate/) says that they have an average of 60 alternates over a 5 year period. It also says that "Every year a significant number of alternate candidates are offered acceptance into the class."

I hope that a significant number is greater than 9%. I don't think 9% is a significant number in anybodies book.

This is what just happened to my hopes of getting off the waitlist: :diebanana:

I agree, 9% doesn't seem very high...but maybe those were people that ended up matriculating and there were actually more people off the waitlist that they offered acceptances to? :shrug:

I hope that a significant number is greater than 9%. I don't think 9% is a significant number in anybodies book. : :diebanana:

It's only significant if you're one of those 9%. I find solace in the idea of being forced to reapply next year and going to a MUCH cheaper school. At least that's how I sleep at night.

It's only significant if you're one of those 9%. I find solace in the idea of being forced to reapply next year and going to a MUCH cheaper school. At least that's how I sleep at night.

I have a seat at a much less expensive school (40% cheaper) and my wife was just offered a job starting at 50K across the street from said medical school.

But the Pacific Ocean is still calling me back home.

I have a seat at a much less expensive school (40% cheaper) and my wife was just offered a job starting at 50K across the street from said medical school.

But the Pacific Ocean is still calling me back home.

Many doctors that I've talked to have expressed their one piece of advice is to go where it's cheapest.

That being said, I would still choose to be closer to my wife's family.

Many doctors that I've talked to have expressed their one piece of advice is to go where it's cheapest.

That being said, I would still choose to be closer to my wife's family.

I would choose to be on a different continent than my wife's family:laugh:

I would choose to be on a different continent than my wife's family:laugh:

Bwahahaha! I guess I'm pretty lucky with my in-laws. The only time they butt in to our lives is to take us to dinner or go on vacation together. Very low stress. :cool:

Edit:
I feel I should mention that proximity of family notwithstanding, I still would choose western. I really feel like the group of people comprising faculty and student body are my kind of people.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...8943032.-2207520000.1365295148&type=3&theater

So, COMP-NW is assigned the same burgundy scrubs that generally WesternU assigns to their nursing students at the parent campus in Pomona. I think this is pretty unusual, since the iconic doctor scrubs are the light blue (I've never seen doctors wear colorful scrubs which nurses wear just as nurses don't wear white coats) and in fact med students at Pomona do wear the light blue scrubs, and like I said, nursing students get the burgundy ones at the main campus.

Obviously, I just don't like the burgundy. But, either way, what is up with it?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...8943032.-2207520000.1365295148&type=3&theater

So, COMP-NW is assigned the same burgundy scrubs that generally WesternU assigns to their nursing students at the parent campus in Pomona. I think this is pretty unusual, since the iconic doctor scrubs are the light blue (I've never seen doctors wear colorful scrubs which nurses wear just as nurses don't wear white coats) and in fact med students at Pomona do wear the light blue scrubs, and like I said, nursing students get the burgundy ones at the main campus.

Sadly, at the hospital where I work, I have seen nurses wearing white coats. Granted, it is a charge/head nurse wearing it, but still.

If I were elected president of the student association I would change us to some normal scrub color. I don't think I'll look good in burgundy. :lol:

Shouldn't really matter much, its just a color. Also, we are all there to learn, we aren't out in the field yet. And I hope that when we all get out in the field we aren't being so hierarchical or discriminating between who gets to wear what and what color. It truly is all about the patient and hopefully that is one thing we all get out of coming to COMP-NW.

That being said, we all hated those scrubs, so by the end, I organized a "Scrubs Burning" event for everyone. Got approved by the school and the town, had the fire department there, we started the fire, drank, made smores, and then said farewell to the scrubs. They burn surprisingly well. :D

Shouldn't really matter much, its just a color. Also, we are all there to learn, we aren't out in the field yet. And I hope that when we all get out in the field we aren't being so hierarchical or discriminating between who gets to wear what and what color. It truly is all about the patient and hopefully that is one thing we all get out of coming to COMP-NW.

That being said, we all hated those scrubs, so by the end, I organized a "Scrubs Burning" event for everyone. Got approved by the school and the town, had the fire department there, we started the fire, drank, made smores, and then said farewell to the scrubs. They burn surprisingly well. :D

Ha ha! At first I was reading your post and wondering why you would defend the ugly scrub color, but then by the time you got to burning stuff and s'mores, I was cool with you again. Lol