Western U - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Muy interesante. I'm from the Inglewood/Redondo area way West; so I've never heard about Pomona Gs. I'll take everyone's word for it if it's the consensus, though...

oh you live on the westside of la and never been to pomona?

Members don't see this ad.

I, too, used to live in LA and Irvine for long years wit my family, and happened to drive up North to Corona just once. Umm, to Glendale once, as well.. :cool:

Pomona's not terrible, it's just a little run down and there are much nicer areas just outside the city.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pomona's not terrible, it's just a little run down and there are much nicer areas just outside the city.

hey, do you know anything about the Metrolink station in Pomona downtown station? It seems like there is a reiversid line that goes from there to the Union stataion but it seems like there isn't any going from the union station to the Pomona station...

hey, do you know anything about the Metrolink station in Pomona downtown station? It seems like there is a reiversid line that goes from there to the Union stataion but it seems like there isn't any going from the union station to the Pomona station...

This is what I've found related to Metrolink: Have a look.

This.

The convenience factor of being so close to campus gets a bit old after awhile when you're constantly driving elsewhere for food.

That said, there are excellent waffles on Holt Ave. not too far from school.

This.

The convenience factor of being so close to campus gets a bit old after awhile when you're constantly driving elsewhere for food.

That said, there are excellent waffles on Holt Ave. not too far from school.

how often do you have to be on campus? are lectures mandatory? whats your weekly schedulelike?

how often do you have to be on campus? are lectures mandatory? whats your weekly schedulelike?

Check it out;

http://www.westernu.edu/students-ccalendars

DO 2016 Calendar
https://www.google.com/calendar/emb...gle.com&ctz=America/Los_Angeles&gsessionid=OK

The only lectures that are mandatory are for our Essentials of Clinical Medicine class, Physician and Society and OMM. They record the lectures for Gross Anatomy and I've been skipping out on lectures but you do have to attend the lab and you definitely will have to or else the practical will eat you alive.

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten rejected after being complete? I know some people got rejections early in August but I think they were rejected pre-secondary?

do your guys status actually say "complete," cause mines has been "all materials received" for the longest time.

Just checked my status for the first time since July and noticed that my MCAT score was received on 8/31.. lol. I took the MCAT on 4/5.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just checked my status for the first time since July and noticed that my MCAT score was received on 8/31.. lol. I took the MCAT on 4/5.

They're a little laggy with updating the online portal. I had to email them to make sure I wasn't missing stuff. ~Four month lag is kind of ridiculous though lol

Those of you wanting to come to Cali
Brace yourselves for the earthquakes
One woke me up at 3:26 am this morning
Pretty scary!!!

umm.. yeah sure... although i didn't feel anything at all

Pretty scary!!!

This made me laugh:D I am a CA resident and the earthquakes are so small/quick that they are anything but scary.Yes, you can expect multiple mini earthquakes but nothing to worry about. :)

Pretty scary!!!

Trying to scare us away huh? It's a little early in the cycle to let your gunner show :rolleyes:

Trying to scare us away huh? It's a little early in the cycle to let your gunner show :rolleyes:

+1

Besides, I'm from Florida, part of the gator nation who used to see hurricanes, pal! :laugh:

California, here I come... hug me! :love:

Earthquakes can be fun as long as they stay small. lol
I want to go home! I have been away from Cali for 5 years now :(
I just checked my online portal and noticed that they barely entered my MCAT scores LAST WEEK!!! I released those scores on July 24th! This whole time I thought they had passed me up and I was starting to get depressed but they barely marked me complete last week. I guess I have hope again. I hope Western brings this Cali kid home.

They're a little laggy with updating the online portal. I had to email them to make sure I wasn't missing stuff. ~Four month lag is kind of ridiculous though lol

NekoBeats, did you here from them yet? I'm still waiting for my MCAT. Grrr!

Last edited:
NekoBeats, did you here from them yet? I'm still waiting for my MCAT. Grrr!

Nope not yet, still waiting next to my phone..I've been complete for about 2.5 weeks so if I get an II, it won't be until next week or so I guess. When does your MCAT score come out?

I just checked my online portal and noticed that they barely entered my MCAT scores LAST WEEK!!! I released those scores on July 24th! This whole time I thought they had passed me up and I was starting to get depressed but they barely marked me complete last week. I guess I have hope again. I hope Western brings this Cali kid home.

You're not the only one. Released scores around May 5 and they entered mine on Aug 31. Slowwwww.

Nope not yet, still waiting next to my phone..I've been complete for about 2.5 weeks so if I get an II, it won't be until next week or so I guess. When does your MCAT score come out?

It comes out on the 11th. 8 more days to go! Hoping for a good one!!! ;)

earthquakes can be fun as long as they stay small. Lol
i want to go home! i have been away from cali for 5 years now :(
i just checked my online portal and noticed that they barely entered my mcat scores last week!!! I released those scores on july 24th! This whole time i thought they had passed me up and i was starting to get depressed but they barely marked me complete last week. I guess i have hope again. I hope western brings this cali kid home.

+1

It comes out on the 11th. 8 more days to go! Hoping for a good one!!! ;)

Ah, well I hope you get a score you're happy with! Just be sure to send the scores to AACOMAS right when they're released. It takes time for the schools to get the revised application and then update your file.

Ah, well I hope you get a score you're happy with! Just be sure to send the scores to AACOMAS right when they're released. It takes time for the schools to get the revised application and then update your file.

Yep, will do! Thanks much! Good luck to both of us! ;)

Me too! I want to come back so bad. I've been away for much longer, though. My MCAT scores are released tomorrow; so I'll probably be way behind everyone else.

As for the earthquakes, dude, if you were living there in the early 90s like me and went through that Northridge quake that destroyed our freeways? Yeah, it was scary. But there were only two of those since I've been born, one being in Frisco, which led to major earthquake code improvements and CalTrans getting a pretty big spanking. It's pretty safe now.

Me too! I want to come back so bad. I've been away for much longer, though. My MCAT scores are released tomorrow; so I'll probably be way behind everyone else.

As for the earthquakes, dude, if you were living there in the early 90s like me and went through that Northridge quake that destroyed our freeways? Yeah, it was scary. But there were only two of those since I've been born, one being in Frisco, which led to major earthquake code improvements and CalTrans getting a pretty big spanking. It's pretty safe now.

An, I used to live Northridge at then. :laugh:

Hey Y'all. Anyone interviewing this Saturday? I'm giving a campus tour so if you have any questions or anything, feel free to message me.

Hey everyone... I want to know if I'm competitive for Pomona's DO school.

25 and 3.87GPA science, 3.88GPA overall.

I know my GPA is pretty good... but is the 25 MCAT something I should worry about?

I know my GPA is pretty good... but is the 25 MCAT something I should worry about?

Western has one of the higher MCAT scores of all the DO schools. I think the average is closer to 28 or 29 and it keeps getting higher every year. But that is an AVERAGE. For every high MCAT, there is a balancing low score too.

You are not out of the running with a 25, but it will be a long shot. Don't get your hopes up, and retake the test to try for a better score.

dsoz

with that GPA and good ECs, i think you have a good shot.

Whenever I see someone with a really high GPA and a mediocre MCAT score, it makes me think that their undergrad institution was not very challenging and/or something went wrong with the MCAT prep. If I had your GPAs, I would retake the MCAT. It would open many more doors. When it comes to Western, you will probably get a secondary. Getting an interview/acceptance would be more of a long shot than a good shot.

Whenever I see someone with a really high GPA and a mediocre MCAT score, it makes me think that their undergrad institution was not very challenging and/or something went wrong with the MCAT prep. If I had your GPAs, I would retake the MCAT. It would open many more doors. When it comes to Western, you will probably get a secondary. Getting an interview/acceptance would be more of a long shot than a good shot.

The type of skills one needs to get a high GPA and those needed to get a high MCAT score are quite different. MCAT requires the type of critical thinking skills that most undergrad classes don't. Just the passage-based format of MCAT is something that most people have never encountered before. I agree that someone with a high GPA definitely has the capacity to score high if they study the right way, but a low score on the MCAT is not indicative of how challenging one's undergrad is.

I'm the same way.

The type of skills one needs to get a high GPA and those needed to get a high MCAT score are quite different. MCAT requires the type of critical thinking skills that most undergrad classes don't. Just the passage-based format of MCAT is something that most people have never encountered before. I agree that someone with a high GPA definitely has the capacity to score high if they study the right way, but a low score on the MCAT is not indicative of how challenging one's undergrad is.

A 3.88 is way above average, whereas a 25 is a tenth below average. I agree that MCAT score isn't necessarily indicative of UG rigor, but you've got to wonder what happened to someone with an exceptional GPA and a less-than-mediocre MCAT score.

I'm the same way.

A 3.88 is way above average, whereas a 25 is a tenth below average. I agree that MCAT score isn't necessarily indicative of UG rigor, but you've got to wonder what happened to someone with an exceptional GPA and a less-than-mediocre MCAT score.

I wonder about this as well, but I never think that something went wrong with a person's undergrad course work that led to such an imbalance between GPA/MCAT

A low MCAT could also be nerves of test day. I had a 3.7 and scored lower than my average because I was crazy nervous during and before my test. Fortunately I was able to retake it and place myself in a pretty good position. I just think a lot of factors may come into play when seeing a weird GPA/MCAT set.

Hey Guys, I am a first year at Westernu and will be giving a campus tour this Saturday. Make sure you get a good breakfast since its gonna be a long session ..Fell free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns?

Thanks for the help! I know my MCAT score isn't that great for Pomona, my schooling was pretty difficult- I took all honors and studied my butt off- which in turn made me neglect my MCAT studies. Plus working more than part-time all throughout college. Obviously it's no excuse and plenty of people work and score well on the MCAT at the same time (and kudos to those that do!). But that explains the weird GPA/MCAT combo a little bit.

Hopefully we'll all be excellent DOs someday. :)

A low MCAT could also be nerves of test day. I had a 3.7 and scored lower than my average because I was crazy nervous during and before my test. Fortunately I was able to retake it and place myself in a pretty good position. I just think a lot of factors may come into play when seeing a weird GPA/MCAT set.

I concur... You cannot go anywhere by criticising others' GPAs or MCAT scores.

I wish all of you good luck with your applications.

It's interview time on 9/24, baby!.. :cool:

I concur... You cannot go anywhere by criticising others' GPAs or MCAT scores.

I wish all of you good luck with your applications.

It's interview time on 9/24, baby!.. :cool:

Thanks for sticking up for me!! :) Good luck on your interview.

Officially complete 3 weeks here, no word since

Honestly I'm still kind of shocked I got an II here. One of my secondary essays was the worst essay I have ever wrote

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app, forgive my typos!

Yup, that describes me. I had a 3.8 in both GPAs last year and bombed with a 23O. This year, I still didn't do as well as I wanted and landed a 29Q, a huge jump. But I'm still disappointed, as I expected more of a 33Q. Meh. It's sufficient and my research and ECs compensate. Good luck everyone. We're all worthy humans, not inanimate numbers. :)

Yup, that describes me. I had a 3.8 in both GPAs last year and bombed with a 23O. This year, I still didn't do as well as I wanted and landed a 29Q, a huge jump. But I'm still disappointed, as I expected more of a 33Q. Meh. It's sufficient and my research and ECs compensate. Good luck everyone. We're all worthy humans, not inanimate numbers. :)

Solid jump. I have a 3.7 and went from 26 to a 35 after my retake.