Western Univ of health science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Od_IT

Salus (PCO) 2013
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find interview feedback on this school. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the interview. What were some of the questions asked? what surprised you? Is there anything that you would like to add that prospective students should look out for?

Or maybe someone can start a thread for it on the interview feedback page?

Anything is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a behavioral interview. not that bad. They ask you situational type questions to really get know how would you act in different environments. It's closed file so try to talk a lot and really get everything out that you want the interviewers to know about you so they know you belong in the program.

Like the above poster said the interview is behavioral based. I researched behavioral interview questions on the internet, and this worked pretty well. Although the questions on the internet are usually intended for business/job interviews, I saw 90% of the same questions in the Western interview.

Overall its not that bad, but the interviewers were not as personable as the one I had at PCO. Although I may just have been lucky at PCO and unlucky at Western. But all in all they were still friendly. For me the worst part was that at Western I had 2 interviewers but one asked most of the questions and the other one just stared at me and wrote stuff down. After a while I started to think that he was monitoring my nonverbal responses to the questions.

I should say that after the interview I came away impressed with Western and the staff that they currently have. Besides from being a new optometry program the only aspect of their school I didnt like was the optometry facilities were still under constructon.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your replies stush and eheaps.

So I sent my application stuff to western last wk (priority mail) and after checking the USPS website to make sure it has arrived I see that it was delivered to the wrong zip code!! I called admissions and they said they wouldn't know whether they got it or not until it gets processed. If anyone has applied there, how long did it take them to process the application and get an email from them. I really am not sure how I could ask for duplicate rec letters :( can someone please give me an idea.Thanks

It took WesternU about 2 weeks to email a response that they received my application. If nothing is missing, then they will send it to the admissions committee which will then determine if you will get an interview or not. I got an interview about a week after they sent it to the admissions committee...they will call you to schedule an appointment with you.

I have an interview at western on the 10th of this week, i'll let you know how it goes.

Hi brandnewish

Congrats on your invitation! How did it go? Can you give some insight about the interview process? (there are not many threads about Western)

-What did the interview day consist of?
-What are some questions they asked you? Or types of questions( open-ended or behavior)?
-Was there a tour? on-site essay?
-How do you feel you did and when will you hear back?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks and happy holidays

I have an interview at western on the 10th of this week, i'll let you know how it goes.

Hi brandnewish

Congrats on your invitation! How did it go? Can you give some insight about the interview process? (there are not many threads about Western)

-What are some questions they asked you? Or types of questions( open-ended or behavior)?

i was there a few weeks ago.
interview day consists of Q & A session with dean, interview, financial aid, curriculum overview and tour mine started at 8 and ended around 1
its all behavior and closed file (interviewers have no clue what your background is)

i got accepted and i heard it back within a week.

Hi brandnewish

The interview went really well. I was actually super impressed with the school. they had technology that ICO isn't even close to getting. I've inerviewed at ICO and had interviews scheduled at NOVA and Midwestern. I was accepted to ICO and Western. im about 99.9% sure that im goign to be going to western. the facilities were better, located closer to my family, the housing in the area surrounding the school in chicago was expensive and kind of trashy, and better weather in california.

The interview went really well. I was actually super impressed with the school. they had technology that ICO isn't even close to getting. I've inerviewed at ICO and had interviews scheduled at NOVA and Midwestern. I was accepted to ICO and Western. im about 99.9% sure that im goign to be going to western. the facilities were better, located closer to my family, the housing in the area surrounding the school in chicago was expensive and kind of trashy, and better weather in california.

maybe i'll answer your questions this time haha

1. the interview started at 7:45 am
there were 8 of us all together.
2. the first thing we did was all sit down with the dean and ask her questions about curriculum, housing, etc..
3. then we had interviews which consisted of 2 interviewers asking behavioral based questions. If you've ever had a job interview, then you know what to expect.
4. a professor gives you a tour of the campus, classrooms, shows you the labs etc.
5. then lunch with 2 current students and then they gave us a tour of the commons areas. (bookstore, study areas, popular housing, and the eye clinic)
6. we were then shown a presentation of the curriculum, class details, order of classes which ones we will be taking interpersonally etc.
7. then we were introduced to some members of the admissions committee, told good luck and that was the end of the interview process.
8. a few of us were then asked to stay because they had some questions about our secondary app, which they then gave me an acceptance letter.

hope this helps!

Hi I just got an interview at Western University and I'm freaking out! This is my first optometry school interview and I would love to go to Western! What should I expect during the interview and what to people mean when they say that it's a behavioral interview? Also, are there any tips anyone could give me that would help me?

Please Help!

For any interview, I think it is important to be yourself. This sounds cliche, because it is. It's cliche because people say it all the time, because it's good advice. But, at the same time I think you should anticipate certain questions, and have a general (not scripted) response. Tell me about yourself. That is a hard thing to do sometimes, because you could say a million things, so it will be important to decide what you want to say about yourself.

I think too many pre-opts are afraid of not sounding like a genius when it comes to Optometry and eye care in general. Research the field definitely, but I personally believe most interview committees are more concerned with well-roundedness and a commitment to better the profession. Nobody expects you to be an expert before you even start school, so you can avoid saying things like "I think it's cool that Optometrists can look into the back of the eye and diagnose patients with diabetes." (don't say that).