Western University c/o 2018 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mouse2106

Western U CVM c/o 2020!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ridiculously happy that the VMCAS application opened up. :highfive: I'm praying like crazy that I'm accepted at Western. Looking forward to (hopefully) meeting my future classmates. Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Western is my top choice! I'm both excited and nervous about starting the application process, but I'm definitely hoping that I at least get an interview :)

Did you notice that they seem to have removed the speech prerequisite?

Western is my top choice! I'm both excited and nervous about starting the application process, but I'm definitely hoping that I at least get an interview :)

I'm rooting for you! :)

I did notice that...it seems they removed the Psychology requirement as well...unless I'm confusing them with another school. I wished they removed the Physiology requirement as well :( The school I'm attending currently doesn't provide that class, so I have to look elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Western is one of my top 5 I'm applying to :)

I'm rooting for you! :)

I did notice that...it seems they removed the Psychology requirement as well...unless I'm confusing them with another school. I wished they removed the Physiology requirement as well :( The school I'm attending currently doesn't provide that class, so I have to look elsewhere.

They did have a psych requirement before, and I didn't notice that they removed it. I have a psych minor, so I would've been alright... I still hadn't taken a speech class, though. I suppose I still have to, since I'm applying to some other schools that do require it. I'll plan to take it in spring, I guess. That way I won't be wasting my time if all of the schools that require it reject me. :(

That sucks that you have to go somewhere else to take physio. Not too many schools have it as a pre-req, too bad Western didn't remove it.

They did have a psych requirement before, and I didn't notice that they removed it. I have a psych minor, so I would've been alright... I still hadn't taken a speech class, though. I suppose I still have to, since I'm applying to some other schools that do require it. I'll plan to take it in spring, I guess. That way I won't be wasting my time if all of the schools that require it reject me. :(

That sucks that you have to go somewhere else to take physio. Not too many schools have it as a pre-req, too bad Western didn't remove it.

Just so you guys know, Western accepts a pretty diverse range of classes as a physio requirement. I took animal physio, mammalogy, and the Dog (a course online from UF CVM) and I was told any of those could count as long as physiology was included somewhere along the line.
Good luck to everyone! :)

Just so you guys know, Western accepts a pretty diverse range of classes as a physio requirement. I took animal physio, mammalogy, and the Dog (a course online from UF CVM) and I was told any of those could count as long as physiology was included somewhere along the line.
Good luck to everyone! :)

You just made me all sorts of happy :) The school I'm attending has "Human Anatomy and Physiology" and "Cell Physiology". Hopefully Western will be willing to accept one of them. I'm currently filling out an Academic Worksheet, so hopefully I hear some good news. Thanks for the information!

You just made me all sorts of happy :) The school I'm attending has "Human Anatomy and Physiology" and "Cell Physiology". Hopefully Western will be willing to accept one of them. I'm currently filling out an Academic Worksheet, so hopefully I hear some good news. Thanks for the information!
They accepted my Human Anatomy classes last cycle :)

OH MY GOODNESS I had not noticed that. So glad I read this. I was NOT looking forward to taking Public Speaking... I was trying to convince myself it would be a good learning experience for me either way... but nahhhh I'll pass. :) Wish I would have known they'd do that before I planned my classes for this next year!

Trying to semi-resurrect this with a question. Does anyone know if western will consider all eLORS sent in or just three. If it's just three, how do they choose....?

Trying to semi-resurrect this with a question. Does anyone know if western will consider all eLORS sent in or just three. If it's just three, how do they choose....?

I believe they considered all of mine, but I'm not 100% on that. Karen does sometimes post on here, otherwise you can call or email her. She's always quick to respond.

Finally submitted the supplemental and all the other required paperwork! I'm a little worried since the "Processed Applications" section doesn't list my GRE scores as received yet, and I submitted them mid-September. Perhaps they just haven't matched up my application with my GRE scores yet, since I just finished the supplemental application a couple days ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally submitted the supplemental and all the other required paperwork! I'm a little worried since the "Processed Applications" section doesn't list my GRE scores as received yet, and I submitted them mid-September. Perhaps they just haven't matched up my application with my GRE scores yet, since I just finished the supplemental application a couple days ago.

I called them, because I was worried about the same thing. I was told to email [email protected] to ask if they had received my GRE scores. If you're still worried about it, emailing them may help :)

Quick question- Western is nice enough to link us to a checklist with everything that must be submitted to them. At the bottom of this page, it requests that you send the checklist itself to them by email, is that true? has anyone else done this? there is no way to sign the form so it seems rather pointless to me and I figured that the checklist was for our convenience. thoughts?

checklist:
http://prospective.westernu.edu/ass...inary/dvm-secondary-application-checklist.pdf

I called them, because I was worried about the same thing. I was told to email [email protected] to ask if they had received my GRE scores. If you're still worried about it, emailing them may help :)

Did they ever get back to you?

Quick question- Western is nice enough to link us to a checklist with everything that must be submitted to them. At the bottom of this page, it requests that you send the checklist itself to them by email, is that true? has anyone else done this? there is no way to sign the form so it seems rather pointless to me and I figured that the checklist was for our convenience. thoughts?

checklist:
http://prospective.westernu.edu/ass...inary/dvm-secondary-application-checklist.pdf

I didn't submit it. The submit button doesn't work on my computer anyway - I've had to email all the PDFs directly to them (the prerequisite form and whatnot). I suppose you could call/ email them if you're worried about it, though.

Well, they never emailed me back, but my summary page was updated to show that all the materials were received. Yay, no more stressing out about it!

Anyone get an Error page when submitting the supplemental?

Anyone get an Error page when submitting the supplemental?

I just tried to submit my application twice and got the error page both times. Were you ever able to submit yours? I will call tomorrow if it continues to be an issue.

You guys understanding that this school has no teaching hospital thus very limited clinical opportunities. The price is not commensurate with the skills.

Does anyones application summary page say "Application Status: Incomplete -- Items Outstanding," but then show all of their materials below with "received" next to them?

Also, do they only randomly pick 3 letters of recommendation? I had more than 3 evaluations submitted by Sept 1, but my page only displays 3 of them.

Well, they never emailed me back, but my summary page was updated to show that all the materials were received. Yay, no more stressing out about it!
After you submitted your supplemental application, how long did it take before they marked your GRE score as received? I submitted my supplemental yesterday night and my GRE scores haven't been marked as received but I sent them in early September.

After you submitted your supplemental application, how long did it take before they marked your GRE score as received? I submitted my supplemental yesterday night and my GRE scores haven't been marked as received but I sent them in early September.

I sent my GRE score on 7/31 and still nothing. Still marked as missing on the site.

Also, do they only randomly pick 3 letters of recommendation? I had more than 3 evaluations submitted by Sept 1, but my page only displays 3 of them.

I was wondering the same thing! I submitted 4 eLORs and they only list 3 on the summary page. I was thinking they may read all the ones we submitted, but can only list 3 online. It may be more of a way for them to make sure they have at least 3 on record. But that's just a guess.

They updated my GRE scores as received at the same time as they marked my prerequisite course sheet received. I sent my GRE scores in mid-September, and submitted the other documents/ supplemental in early Oct. It took 6 business days after I submitted my supplemental for them to update my application summary page.

I think they just list (absolute minimum) required materials on that page, since they don't list the optional materials like the repeated course sheet. I think they'll look at all the LORs, they just want to mark that they received the 3 required for your application to be considered complete. Otherwise, I'd expect an area on their supplemental for us to select the letters we'd like them to read.

Last edited:
They basically said don't worry about it.
I emailed admissions yesterday and here's the reply they sent me:
"We have received your GRE scores but Enrolment Data Services has not yet submitted them in your application file. Please note we are receiving many application materials at this time, which means it will be at least 10 to 12 business days for a confirmation on your application materials. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me via e-mail."

I received an email today saying that my application was processed and is now under review! Yay!

I got that email today too. I'm so excited. I can't wait to hear from Western soon.

Good luck to all applicants! Us first years just found out the first round of interviews are in a few weeks and then around December. Hope to see some of you then!

Good luck to all applicants! Us first years just found out the first round of interviews are in a few weeks and then around December. Hope to see some of you then!

Thanks for the info and support!

So flights from the east coast plus a hotel is way more expensive then I thought. Since I haven't heard from the other schools I applied to (so I can't gauge how much I might spend on interviews) and I have to pay out of pocket I might have to turn down my interview =( Any advice?

So flights from the east coast plus a hotel is way more expensive then I thought. Since I haven't heard from the other schools I applied to (so I can't gauge how much I might spend on interviews) and I have to pay out of pocket I might have to turn down my interview =( Any advice?

When I was interviewed, there was one interview date available (the last one), and I was given something like five days notice. I'm from Central Florida, so almost as far as you can get away from Pomona, in the US! I bought a plane ticket and stayed for four days total. My lovely parents were a huge help because they wanted to come and see the school. If you want to be ultra super cheap fly! Don't drive, driving will end up being more expensive. You can rent a room for just one night, although I'd recommend two. Try using sites like kayak, expedia, and onetravel to find your ticket. I have the best luck with kayak.

I would have to stay for two nights because of the way the flights work out. Flying is really the only option, it would take me like a week to drive from where I am! I did try kayak but its still pretty expensive =(. I just wish I knew where else I was interviewing, I hate to turn it out down but I may literally run out money!

good luck to all applicants! i'm a first year. please message me if you guys have any questions - i'd be more than willing to answer any of them. i know i had an infinite stack of wonder and doubt just around this time last year.

I got two emails

So I had a mini heart attack when I got the first email... it basically said your application is on hold... and had no other information. Then 2 seconds later I got an email saying that my application is being moved into review by committee.

so I guess there system is automated when they are transitioning there applicants between statuses and sends automatic emails?

I got two emails

So I had a mini heart attack when I got the first email... it basically said your application is on hold... and had no other information. Then 2 seconds later I got an email saying that my application is being moved into review by committee.

so I guess there system is automated when they are transitioning there applicants between statuses and sends automatic emails?

I just had the same thing happen! Only it was 5 minutes apart. Good to know it wasn't just me. At first I was worried it meant something bad about the quality of my application that it had been put on hold, but I guess the admissions comittee wouldn't likely change their minds in five minutes :laugh:.

I got two emails

The same exact thing happened to me! I got 2 emails exactly 5 minutes apart with the 1st one saying my app was on hold after a thorough review by the admissions committee. Then the 2nd email said "good news" that my app had been sent to the admissions committee for review. Would the emails have accidentally been received out of order? I checked my online status page and it says "incomplete- items outstanding" next to application status but like others have said, all my items are listed as received below. I'm so confused.

The same exact thing happened to me! I got 2 emails exactly 5 minutes apart with the 1st one saying my app was on hold after a thorough review by the admissions committee. Then the 2nd email said "good news" that my app had been sent to the admissions committee for review. Would the emails have accidentally been received out of order? I checked my online status page and it says "incomplete- items outstanding" next to application status but like others have said, all my items are listed as received below. I'm so confused.

Yea I know what you mean, my application status right now has not changed to "under reveiw" it still just says "application materials received". -_- maybe email them?I think that's what I'm gonna do just to be sure... let me know how it goes?

I received the email a couple weeks ago about my application being under review by the admissions committee. My status on my application summary page is still "application materials received," so I'm not sure it will change to "under review." I wonder if that "on hold" email was sent on accident, though. Seems like it'd be hard for the admissions committee to put your applications on hold if they'd just received them! I'd definitely email Western and double check.

You guys understanding that this school has no teaching hospital thus very limited clinical opportunities. The price is not commensurate with the skills.

I think we receive more than 'very limited clinical opportunities.' In your first two years you do 2 rotations each semester on each of the following: a wellness clinic, a small animal clinic, a mobile spay/neuter clinic, equine medicine, and food animal medicine. There are also multiple clinical skills laboratories throughout the two years. By the end of your first two years, you would have already performed a complete spay and a neuter. I don't know how many vet school programs actually get you out of the classroom in the first 3 years and have your hands on patients. Then in third year, you do 2 weeks in each of the following practices: small animal emergency, small animal private practice, small animal corporate practice, equine ambulatory practice, equine referral practice, food animal practice, dairy practice, laboratory animal medicine, zoo animal medicine, clinical and anatomic pathology (at Antech), surgery and anesthesia (at a shelter...more spays and neuters). Then in 4th year, you do 4 weeks as an extern in 8 disciplines including internal medicine and surgery plus 6 others of your choosing. You can also do more rotations in addition to the 8 you are required to do.

So I don't really see where one would lack clinical opportunities at WesternU. I have been up to my ears in clinics for the past two years and enjoying the heck out of it. Another thing I like about rotating in so many different practices is that I get to see how things are done differently in different places.

Reactions: 1 users
I think we receive more than 'very limited clinical opportunities.' In your first two years you do 2 rotations each semester on each of the following: a wellness clinic, a small animal clinic, a mobile spay/neuter clinic, equine medicine, and food animal medicine. There are also multiple clinical skills laboratories throughout the two years. By the end of your first two years, you would have already performed a complete spay and a neuter. I don't know how many vet school programs actually get you out of the classroom in the first 3 years and have your hands on patients. Then in third year, you do 2 weeks in each of the following practices: small animal emergency, small animal private practice, small animal corporate practice, equine ambulatory practice, equine referral practice, food animal practice, dairy practice, laboratory animal medicine, zoo animal medicine, clinical and anatomic pathology (at Antech), surgery and anesthesia (at a shelter...more spays and neuters). Then in 4th year, you do 4 weeks as an extern in 8 disciplines including internal medicine and surgery plus 6 others of your choosing. You can also do more rotations in addition to the 8 you are required to do.

So I don't really see where one would lack clinical opportunities at WesternU. I have been up to my ears in clinics for the past two years and enjoying the heck out of it. Another thing I like about rotating in so many different practices is that I get to see how things are done differently in different places.

Just to clarify and back you up a little further: We do three rotations each block, which equals six a semester as first years. As a second year you do five each block (or ten a semester). I've already performed full PEs, and most students are monitoring anesthesia, placing catheters, drawing blood, and several first years performed neuters before midterms.
We get a lot of clinical experience and while we're there the instructors are asking us questions about why a pet isn't healthy. A few weeks ago I saw dog that was crossing his legs behind, had negative proprioception in one leg and didn't react when testing dermatomes all along his hind leg. The doctor there asked my group what nerve(s) we thought were affected and where they were affected. I don't know many first years at other schools that could have fielded that question.

Reactions: 1 users
So I emailed the admissions office... I was disappointed to hear that the hold email was not a mistake. But she said:
"
Your application status is on hold. This simply means that the Admissions Committee has decided to hold off making a decision on your file until they have had the opportunity to review additional applications. The review process has just begun and we encourage you to remain optimistic. The latest a decision will be made on your file is by mid-November.
We wish you the best of luck!"

SO Im just gonna stay positive for not being outright rejected, but I am gonna try and not obsess!

Hope that helps the rest of you that were wondering about that email...

Doesnt sound like it is a bad thing, my application was put on hold right after I received my interview confirmation email.

I was put on hold before I was interviewed and then accepted, so it can still work out!

I emailed one of the admissions counselors yesterday about the status of my app since my status shows all of my materials have been received but I never received an email saying it was under review. I received an email shortly after saying my app was under review but this morning I received a personal email from the same admissions counselor saying that as of this morning they did not receive my app from EDS yet. I'm confused. Anyone experience something similar?

Also, does anyone know if Western allows you to see the GPA they've calculated for you? I'm getting a little worried that they may not recalculate my GPA with my repeated courses. I did receive confirmation that they received my repeated course form but it isn't listed on the application summary page.

Last edited:
I emailed one of the admissions counselors yesterday about the status of my app since my status shows all of my materials have been received but I never received an email saying it was under review. I received an email shortly after saying my app was under review but this morning I received a personal email from the same admissions counselor saying that as of this morning they did not receive my app from EDS yet. I'm confused. Anyone experience something similar?

Also, does anyone know if Western allows you to see the GPA they've calculated for you? I'm getting a little worried that they may not recalculate my GPA with my repeated courses. I did receive confirmation that they received my repeated course form but it isn't listed on the application summary page. They've been having a lot of communication problems, which makes their process seem a bit disorganized...

The application status page only seems to show required materials. They don't list the optional paperwork, like the repeated course form. It took a week after EDS received my materials for my application to go to the admissions committee for review. Maybe EDS isn't done checking over your application materials yet.

Also, I think you'll have to email them if you want to double check your GPA since I don't think they list it anywhere.