Western University c/o 2018 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just checked Western's Facebook page for admissions, and they said they hope to have all decisions out within the next two weeks. :nailbiting::xf:

WOW... thanks for letting us know! that's exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time... :nailbiting: Some people will have the best Xmas ever and others not so much... :(

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If I remember correctly, they told us there were 853 applicants this year (not that much more than the 839 applicants from last year). I believe they said they interviewed close to 400 this year because there were more qualified applicants and more applications submitted. If anyone else remembers differently, please correct me.
Yep, 853 was total. And class cap at 105 if necessary.

I just checked Western's Facebook page for admissions, and they said they hope to have all decisions out within the next two weeks. :nailbiting::xf:

Yes, thanks for letting us know! Definitely scary, but at least we won't have to wait until February. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
hey for those of you that interviewed this past weekend, was the dean there to speak with you this time? The weekend I went he wasn't there. I was just curious if you all got to meet/see him.

I went this past Monday and he was there. He met with the morning group near the end of their day and the afternoon group at the beginning of their day.

I went this past Monday and he was there. He met with the morning group near the end of their day and the afternoon group at the beginning of their day.

It was the same on Tuesday (12/10). He gave a short speech welcoming/ congratulating us.

He seemed really nice and supportive, which was great. :)

@TheComfyCat - Were you in the morning or afternoon group?

Were you in the red group? I was in there... We had a 40 minute "break" before our interview. I wish I was in another group, lol

Were you in the red group? I was in there... We had a 40 minute "break" before our interview. I wish I was in another group, lol

Yes, I was in the red group. That extra break definitely gave me time to worry (more) before the interview :laugh:

...I keep thinking about my interview, changing my mind about whether or not it went well.

Here is the WesternU DVM Admissions Facebook page for those of you who are interested: https://www.facebook.com/DVMAdmissionsWesternU

I think I read somewhere in this forum that a good amount of wait-listed people are eventually accepted. Can anyone back this up?
Also, in their packet, it says that people who are wait-listed are not ranked. I wonder how they choose people?

I also keep thinking about my interview :( *sigh* If only I hadn't babbled on and on and on and on.... :(

Reactions: 1 users
Their facebook page says the school is closed for winter break from December 21, 2013 – January 5, 2014. So I suppose we'll either find out this week or the second week of January if we're accepted or not? :nailbiting::scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Their facebook page says the school is closed for winter break from December 21, 2013 – January 5, 2014. So I suppose we'll either find out this week or the second week of January if we're accepted or not? :nailbiting::scared:
well they said within the next two weeks. I'm sure they knew about winter break when they said that. Plus I think administration ooffices sometimes stay open even though classes are not in session. I think it will most likely be in the end of this week or begining of next week

on another note, does this mean fall grades are not included in admissions decisions if you are admitted versus if you become an alternate? I wonder. any current student care to weigh in?

well they said within the next two weeks. I'm sure they knew about winter break when they said that. Plus I think administration ooffices sometimes stay open even though classes are not in session. I think it will most likely be in the end of this week or begining of next week

Ah, okay. That makes sense. I hope you're right!

Just called admissions and they we will be Notified in The next two to three weeks :(

Just called admissions and they we will be Notified in The next two to three weeks :(
Thanks for biting the bullet on that one! I would actually prefer to know after the holidays...

I just got my acceptance email! My heart was racing when I saw the email and I'm still shaking... Good luck to everyone waiting to hear! I hope to see many acceptance posts on this thread soon :happy:

Reactions: 4 users
Just received my acceptance email as well!!! Can't believe it!! :)

Reactions: 3 users
alternate :/ does anyone know the chances of getting in off the alternate list? Also, does Western send rejections by email or in the mail?

I wonder how many acceptances/ alternates there are this year. Seems like lots of us are alternates.

So far, seems like most/ all of us not accepted are alternates.

Alternate... :( I'm not good at waiting, so I'm not sure if I'm happy to be an alternate. I bet my interview was the issue. I have a poor memory and I'm not good at talking about specific life experiences like that, so I got really nervous during the interview.

Alternate as well. Not sure if I should be happy or not. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they don't reject anyone and just place us all on an alternate list (which isn't ranked which seems really weird!)

Alternate as well. Not sure if I should be happy or not. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they don't reject anyone and just place us all on an alternate list (which isn't ranked which seems really weird!)
That does seem weird. It seems like it would create extra work for them to re-evaluate everyone each time a spot opens up.

Also, a huge congratulations to the people who got accepted!!!!:highfive::claps:

So, if we're not ranked, how will they choose who's offered an acceptance first?...

Alternate!

"An alternate may be offered a seat in the class between mid-April and early August 2014" uggh :(

But let's all hope for the best guys! I'm trying to come up with a plan B so I don't fall into clinical depression if I were to get rejected :) haha

For those of us that are alternates, make sure you sign up to be on their alternate list. There's a link buried in the middle of the email which I almost missed (I just saw "alternate" and closed the email, lol)

Accepted!

Good luck to all those on the alternate list!

Reactions: 2 users
Alternate :unsure:

Thanks valew323 and MissRPB for the well wishes :)

Alternate :nailbiting: Congrats to everyone who got in!! I'm trying to remain positive, but I'm feeling pretty sad right now. I have a suspicion that any interviewee that was not accepted is an alternate.

Im an alternate as well. I wonder how the alternate list works. I mean it seems like if you weren't accepted you were placed on the alternate list.

I have a suspicion that any interviewee that was not accepted is an alternate.

I'm thinking the same thing, and in my opinion that's messed up. IIRC they said in the orientation that after the interview people would be rejected, alternate, or accepted. I feel like they're just stringing us along. I want to know if I'm at the bottom of the list (even though it's not ranked?? lol) and have no hopes of getting in or not.

I'm thinking the same thing, and in my opinion that's messed up. IIRC they said in the orientation that after the interview people would be rejected, alternate, or accepted. I feel like they're just stringing us along. I want to know if I'm at the bottom of the list (even though it's not ranked?? lol) and have no hopes of getting in or not.

Yeah, I'm feeling the same way. :(
Basically I just don't want to get my hopes up.

I agree. If they placed everyone on the alternate list who was interviewed but not accepted, that would mean 200-300 people would be on the alternate list. I doubt they really need that many alternates for a class size of 100, and I'm a little frustrated that they would leave so many people wondering until August.

I agree. If they placed everyone on the alternate list who was interviewed but not accepted, that would mean 200-300 people would be on the alternate list. I doubt they really need that many alternates for a class size of 100, and I'm a little frustrated that they would leave so many people wondering until August.

I agree! Also, the absence of ranking seems impractical from a school admin. POV :T

Alternate as well. I spoke to someone in the admissions office earlier; he was really nice and said that being on the alternate list is at least better than being rejected right off the bat. Based on what he said, I don't think that the CVM kept all the interviewed hopefuls who didn't get accepted as alternates. Keep the faith, it's not over yet~

Accepted. I hear the people on the alternate list aren't ranked. If someone who has been accepted does not end up accepting they match that person up with someone very similar based on all of the aspects they are looking for

Those of you that were also accepted, how many of you are planning to attend Western? Just curious. :)

Those of you that were also accepted, how many of you are planning to attend Western? Just curious. :)
I have yet to even hear back about interviews from other schools, mainly my in state, so it depends

Same... waiting to hear from other schools